Cruise starts tomorrow, FTTF not sold out

tidecat

The February 19 Carnival Elation 5-day Bahamas sailing still has Faster to the Fun available as of 7:50 PM EST on February 18.

At $99.95/cabin, has Carnival pushed their hand too far?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, tidecat said:

The February 19 Carnival Elation 5-day Bahamas sailing still has Faster to the Fun available as of 7:50 PM EST on February 18.

It's possible. Same for the cabanas. We are going to HMC on the Vista in April,  and there are still over 10 of the regular cabanas remaining. They have been available for almost a year. They used to sell out quickly. $700 is just too much for most people,  including us. 😎

• Like 12

It's a combination of the price increase and the reduction in what you get for your money.

It was fine when it was $50, especially if there was a tender port on your itinerary.

• Like 5

Just now, mz-s said:

It's a combination of the price increase and the reduction in what you get for your money.

It was fine when it was $50, especially if there was a tender port on your itinerary.

No tender ports on this sailing (Bimini, Nassau). If the pier ever gets built at Half Moon Cay that would make even more itineraries tender less.

• Like 1

Just now, tidecat said:

No tender ports on this sailing (Bimini, Nassau). If the pier ever gets built at Half Moon Cay that would make even more itineraries tender less.

Yeah so what is the use? You don't get your stateroom ready early anymore. You don't get to bypass your arrival appointment.

In your case would it be worth $100 to be able to use the priority line at guest services? Not for me, wouldn't even give it a second thought.

• Like 5

Theories:

Gamblers aren't going to pay more for early access than they do for their cabin.

Holiday cruise - everyone is Platinum/Diamond

Jacksonville is the model of efficiency at embarkation

Cruisers are saving their money for the new Lido steak offerings

there are probably more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll echo what others have said-

The real value of FTTF comes when you have tender ports. Without a tender port, the value is greatly diminished.

That, and the Elation is a smaller ship. It's possible that folks don't feel the need to purchase given the  smaller crowds (compared to other sailings on larger ships).

• Like 1

I mean it's a complete waste of money. In my experience and others I've read on here, the early embarkation means nothing as people without it often if not almost always get on at or around the same time (obviously not including suites and VIFP members who get genuine early embarkation), and access to staterooms is the same time for everyone.

The only thing I could maybe see it being worthwhile is for port days and having priority access getting off first, but even then not worth it imo.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Same for the cabanas. We are going to HMC on the Vista in April,  and there are still over 10 of the regular cabanas remaining. They have been available for almost a year. They used to sell out quickly. $700 is just too much for most people,  including us. 😎

I can remember when those rented for $200.  But $700?  That's more like RC prices at (the much nicer) CocoCay.

Edited by DallasGuy75219

5 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

It's possible. Same for the cabanas. We are going to HMC on the Vista in April,  and there are still over 10 of the regular cabanas remaining. They have been available for almost a year. They used to sell out quickly. $700 is just too much for most people,  including us. 😎

So when "the Beards" see that cabanas are no longer selling out, they should do some math:  "Is selling 6 cabanas at $700/each better than selling all 16 cabanas at $400 each?  No?  Maybe we should drop the price a bit."

I said "should," not "will."    Time will tell.  

I WILL say that my interest in going to HMC has waned a great deal since the prices there skyrocketed.  

As for FTTF, I just turned Platinum, so I don't have to care about the lesser beings in steerage anymore.  😄  

Edited by Pellaz
added wrap-up
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Unlike FTTF, there is no need for cabanas to sell out before the cruise and discounting them on the cruise is always an option. Carnival is smart to push the price up before to try to maximize return.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bg2310 said:

I mean it's a complete waste of money. In my experience and others I've read on here, the early embarkation means nothing as people without it often if not almost always get on at or around the same time (obviously not including suites and VIFP members who get genuine early embarkation), and access to staterooms is the same time for everyone.

The only thing I could maybe see it being worthwhile is for port days and having priority access getting off first, but even then not worth it imo.

The only ports where you get priority access are tender ports. So if your cruise doesn't have a tender port, or if you are booking an early Carnival excursion at that port anyway, FTTF does you no good.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Be awaiting your review of the Vista out of dry dock. Trying to decide if i want to book a sailing on her for March of 2025. Some time planning that far out hurts my head.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Pellaz said:

So when "the Beards" see that cabanas are no longer selling out, they should do some math:  "Is selling 6 cabanas at $700/each better than selling all 16 cabanas at $400 each?  No?  Maybe we should drop the price a bit."

I WILL say that my interest in going to HMC has waned a great deal since the prices there skyrocketed.  

As for FTTF, I just turned Platinum, so I don't have to care about the lesser beings in steerage anymore.  😄  

The math could work the other way too. For example, if they are selling 75% of available FTTF slots at $100, that's more profitable than selling 100% of the slots for $50.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, bg2310 said:

Priority access to pull tips faster.

If it is a waste of money, why do Platinum and Diamond cruisers whine so much about it?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Priority access to pull tips faster.

If it is a waste of money, why do Platinum and Diamond cruisers whine so much about it?

Well P+D members don't need FTTF for priority queue access. They already have it.

And likely complaining because they don't feel so special anymore having to share the same line with those who simply paid for FTTF. :classic_smile:

34 minutes ago, bg2310 said:

Well P+D members don't need FTTF for priority queue access. They already have it.

And likely complaining because they don't feel so special anymore having to share the same line with those who simply paid for FTTF. :classic_smile:

One reason they complain is because they think they earned perks (they didn't) vs Carnival "selling" them. But really, FTTF subsidizes some P/D perks.

I am still amused by some insisting on standing in the priority line because they can, when the regular line is non-existent.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, notscb said:

I'll echo what others have said-

The real value of FTTF comes when you have tender ports. Without a tender port, the value is greatly diminished.

That, and the Elation is a smaller ship. It's possible that folks don't feel the need to purchase given the  smaller crowds (compared to other sailings on larger ships).

I remember the first time I had to take a tender, and didn't have FTTF. This place scared me that my day would be lost. We rushed to the tender line to hopefully get an ideal spot, we were one of the first people there.

14 hours ago, Pellaz said:

"The beards" aren't the ones in charge of this. There are likely corporate data analysts in charge of this. Likely viewing different data sets, trends, etc. When something constantly sells out quickly, you have clearly underpriced it. You jack up the price until you find that equilibrium. Who's to say that selling out in advance is the best method? What if it costs $700 in advance to "secure your spot" and there are still some left for $400 when you get there? Some people might buy that on the spot. 

4 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

The math could work the other way too. For example, if they are selling 75% of available FTTF slots at $100, that's more profitable than selling 100% of the slots for $50.

Oh, sure; that's why I used the cabanas as an example based on the poster's experience ("ten or more still available" just prior to embark).   

That's a serious drop in demand.

FTTF is a different story, since it's basically "free money" with not too much at risk and no real concerns about unsold inventory such as cabanas and villas.  Or the Private Oasis, and I don't EVEN wanna know how much THAT costs nowadays.  🙂  

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I am still amused by some insisting on standing in the priority line because they can, when the regular line is non-existent.

I had FTTF on a cruise just prior to COVID and went down to Guest Services.  There was one non-priority person being helped at the counter by the lone Guest Services officer and no-one else waiting.  I just got into the regular line.  When the officer called me up she said, surprised "Sir, you COULD have gotten in the priority line; you DO have Faster To the Fun."   
"Sure, but there's only one of you and there was really no need."  

She was taken aback, but clearly pleased.  "That was very nice of you, sir.  Most would have gone to the priority side."

Sadly, 'tis true.  

11 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

"The beards" aren't the ones in charge of this. There are likely corporate data analysts in charge of this. Likely viewing different data sets, trends, etc. When something constantly sells out quickly, you have clearly underpriced it. You jack up the price until you find that equilibrium. Who's to say that selling out in advance is the best method? What if it costs $700 in advance to "secure your spot" and there are still some left for $400 when you get there? Some people might buy that on the spot. 

Some might, but Carnival doesn't generally do "dynamic pricing," whereas, e.g., Royal does.  

From a supply-demand perspective (as well as good ol' fashioned ruthlessness), it would make more sense to sell cabanas at, say, $500 up to a point, and when there are just a few remaining, jack up the price to $700.   

Maybe it's a good thing Carnival doesn't do dynamic pricing.  😄  

• Like 2

On 2/19/2024 at 12:25 PM, Pyxie said:

They priced me out a while back and I used to buy it every time.

Same here.  We used to get it all the time (when we could), but for our upcoming 8-day cruise it is $139.99 (!!), and still available the last time I was looking at excursions.  It was of value before, but not at that price!  I remember when we would watch and pounce on FTTF, but not anymore.  There are better options for spending $140 on a cruise.  Plus, one more cruise after this one and we are platinum, so that will solve itself (unless they change the VIP loyalty program).

• Like 2

On 2/18/2024 at 8:06 PM, Jamman54 said:

Same here with the Sunshine end of April. Over 10 available. It used to be with this timelime and earlier, they were sold out. Only thing you could do was hightail it up to the excursions desk when you boarded and hope for the best. My husband wants a cabana, but I'm having a hard time with this 700 ticket.

On 2/18/2024 at 7:56 PM, tidecat said:

We definitely still get it every cruise it is available. We like the benefits and always find it to be worthwhile.  Here is the list of some of those benefits

image.png.cf1983a33001690b9734ba6722b179c2.png

Edited by lablover61

On 2/18/2024 at 8:12 PM, mz-s said:

Yeah so what is the use? You don't get your stateroom ready early anymore. You don't get to bypass your arrival appointment.

In your case would it be worth $100 to be able to use the priority line at guest services? Not for me, wouldn't even give it a second thought.

You also get to drop your carry-ons as soon as you board, and for me and my last sailing on Elation, that alone was worth the hundred bucks. I am also an earlier arriver - I can't sit around at home or in my hotel room just twiddling my thumbs to avoid the madness at the pier lol.  I just want to get on board and get a drink and start my vacay.

• Like 2