Family of 4

EllieGee83

Apologies if this has been posted somewhere, I just can't find enough relevant information.  My husband and I have been on several cruises together over the past 15-20 years and have favored Princess and lately RCCL to satisfy the kids who are now 13 and 8.  We've usually booked mini-suites when cruising Princess and connecting rooms when sailing Royal Caribbean.

I'm really keen to experience Celebrity and with Edge locally, I'd love to book but the prices feel more expensive than Princess/RCCL (perhaps they are and this is a step up in experience).  My question is around the bedding set up and the 'double sofa' that two people can supposedly use.  Are the rooms big and comfortable enough for a family of 4 to sleep?  Is the double sofa adequately comfortable for a 13 year old and 8 year old to sleep on?  Is there a trick/hack asking the stewards if they can bring an extra bed in or have a topper added to the sofa?  I appreciate Celebrity isn't as child friendly, but my kids aren't into kids clubs - they are quiet girls who prefer to stay in the cabin and wander around with us from time to time.  Trying to work out if one cabin will be adequate for us all...of if the comfort and set up of the sofa is untenable and we should expect to book two connecting rooms instead.

Would love to hear from those who have sailed before on Edge, know about the double sofa's and any hacks and whether I'm dreaming if I think booking one cabin for four of us will be a comfortable experience - especially if it's a longer cruise vs taster short 3-4 day.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, EllieGee83 said:

Apologies if this has been posted somewhere, I just can't find enough relevant information.  My husband and I have been on several cruises together over the past 15-20 years and have favored Princess and lately RCCL to satisfy the kids who are now 13 and 8.  We've usually booked mini-suites when cruising Princess and connecting rooms when sailing Royal Caribbean.

I'm really keen to experience Celebrity and with Edge locally, I'd love to book but the prices feel more expensive than Princess/RCCL (perhaps they are and this is a step up in experience).  My question is around the bedding set up and the 'double sofa' that two people can supposedly use.  Are the rooms big and comfortable enough for a family of 4 to sleep?  Is the double sofa adequately comfortable for a 13 year old and 8 year old to sleep on?  Is there a trick/hack asking the stewards if they can bring an extra bed in or have a topper added to the sofa?  I appreciate Celebrity isn't as child friendly, but my kids aren't into kids clubs - they are quiet girls who prefer to stay in the cabin and wander around with us from time to time.  Trying to work out if one cabin will be adequate for us all...of if the comfort and set up of the sofa is untenable and we should expect to book two connecting rooms instead.

Would love to hear from those who have sailed before on Edge, know about the double sofa's and any hacks and whether I'm dreaming if I think booking one cabin for four of us will be a comfortable experience - especially if it's a longer cruise vs taster short 3-4 day.

Many thanks!

Only you know your family's needs, likes/dislikes etc.  Just know that once the sofa is made up to a bed it renders useless the location of where it is in the room.  For example, getting up at night to use the loo, or if near the balcony, contortionist skills are needed.  It may not be anything for you, if so, go for it.  If you think it may be intrusive, consider adjoining rooms.  Perhaps also go to youtube and do a rearch for a room made up with the sofa bed all made up, should give you a good idea if it will work for you.  Good luck and either way, I think you will love the Edge, fantastic ship!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EllieGee83 said:

Many thanks!

I have not been on Edge yet but the one thing I have picked up about the ship is that in the veranda grooms the location of the bed can either be in the middle of the room or near the balcony.  The deck plans have indentations to indicate bed placement.  The layout may make a difference for you.  Also, having cruised celebrity with kids that age, the itinerary may play into the feasibility of 1 v 2 cabins as well.  My kids always did okay in one cabin with the adults (but sane is true for a hotel) and I was just cabin monster making sure everything was put away to ensure there was room.  That being said, this is really a personal decision.  I assume you’ve played with prices….depending on the promotion you might find the price will vary.

• Like 1

if its EDGE in an IV cabin.it is.going to be  very tight..the rms are narrow. Rooms are not good for 4.

If u can do it, get an interior across the hall and use that for overflow sleeping. Book 1 adult in each rm but put kiddos across.  Plus you get an extra bathroom and more storage and privacy!  Look for deals!

• Like 2

OP - Welcome to Cruise Critic.  I see this is your first post.

If your budget permits I really recommend two cabins.  X has insides directly across the hall from balconies, which might be a good solution.  

4 people in a non-suite room is alot....one bathroom.  Tight...not "comfortable" at all..  Even a smaller suite would be crowded at times.  

Tip - One or more can use the spa locker room showers/sauna before dinner.  I always head there while DW has the stateroom & room-shower to herself to dress for the evening.  Spa is always quiet at that time, bigger showers and a sauna too!   Don't let my secret out!

• Like 2

As above poster said:If your budget permits I really recommend two cabins. 

When we took our kids on 30th anniversary cruise we booked two obstructed view balconies next to each other and could close an outer door so two interior cabin doors could be left open and we could talk and walk back and forth between cabins. This was Celebrity Silhouette 10 years ago

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

I have not been on Edge yet but the one thing I have picked up about the ship is that in the veranda grooms the location of the bed can either be in the middle of the room or near the balcony.  The deck plans have indentations to indicate bed placement.  The layout may make a difference for you.  Also, having cruised celebrity with kids that age, the itinerary may play into the feasibility of 1 v 2 cabins as well.  My kids always did okay in one cabin with the adults (but sane is true for a hotel) and I was just cabin monster making sure everything was put away to ensure there was room.  That being said, this is really a personal decision.  I assume you’ve played with prices….depending on the promotion you might find the price will vary.

The cabins that sleep 3 or 4 all have the bed near the bath

• Like 1

16 hours ago, EllieGee83 said:

We've usually booked mini-suites when cruising Princess and connecting rooms when sailing Royal Caribbean.....

Are the rooms big and comfortable enough for a family of 4 to sleep?  Is the double sofa adequately comfortable for a 13 year old and 8 year old to sleep on?

we have our 13 yo in the cabin with us on all cruises, and since Celebrity is running a 3rd and 4th passenger in the cabin free promotion right now, it was a no brainer to also book him in the cabin with us on Ascent and Beyond next year (porthole balcony).

This will be our first time on X - we are on Reflection in an inside room which has both a sofa and an upper berth. Our kid loves upper berths. It might change when he gets to 6'+ very soon. 🙂

On Edge Deluxe Ocean View staterooms in the front of the ship and Sunset Veranda Staterooms (aft) are larger than standard rooms. X Edge doesn't appear to have rooms with both a sofa and an upper berth on them.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

Thank you to everyone who replied to my post, I'm so grateful you took the time to respond - the information was super helpful.

Flicking through the available rooms on various cruises I came across the magic carpet sky suites and they actually seemed quite reasonable price wise.  I've booked two of these and whilst I think they "join" via a hallway/vestibule it should still be workable.  I think this includes drinks and wifi etc and most importantly the kids will have their own bed to sleep on. The feedback on how tight the rooms would be once made up was an eye opener - especially if there's somewhat of a shuffle that needs to happen for anyone needing to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Thanks again all, what a great community!

Edited by EllieGee83
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, EllieGee83 said:

I've booked two of these and whilst I think they "join" via a hallway/vestibule it should still be workable. 

Each interior magic carpet sky suite joins via a vestibule to an inside cabin and the two outside magic carpet sky suites each join to a concierge class room.   (ie - the magic carpet sky suites do not actually join to each other via the vestibules in case it is not clear in the deck plans) Your kids sound mature, so you should be fine as long as they are comfortable not actually adjoining to you.  Hope that helps explain how they join.  Sorry if you already understood this - could not tell if you were thinking the sky suites joined via vestibule.

Edited by Shiba_Lover

Two MC Sky Suite rooms would be great.  They are essentially the same space wise as the regular Sky Suites.  The MC is also a lot of fun.  Have a great vacation.   

Just in case you're considering the Celebrity Suite, note the door between the bedroom and living space allows a lot of light and noise between the two spaces.  That said, you may be able to use a sheet or curtain to block light.  That hack as not been discussed to my knowledge, but seems feasible.  There are two entrances to the bathroom, although the noise may be enough to disrupt sleepers in the bedroom. 

If considering an interior or concierge room and MC Sky Suites, note that there are threads on the message board about the limited ability to purchase Luminae, lounge and deck access for affiliated passengers under your reservation.  I haven't seen anything on the success rate, but just want you to know it's a possibility although not a guaranteed method for your family to have access to Retreat if only one suite room is booked.  It may be too speculative to make sense.   

Edge and E Class have terrific places like Eden which kids may enjoy for reading and games without being disrupted by other passengers and vice versa.  The club balcony when not in use also has some nooks, and then one is present for the activities. 

Edited by Cap_D

Are you booking on your own?  If so, I would recommend you contact Celebrity and get answers and assist with booking

Most cruise lines will not allow children under 18 in a cabin without an adult.  A connecting door means like in a hotel, not out in the vestibule which is outside of the cabin door 

We have a Magic Carpet suite booked and was told it was not a connecting suite.   
Happy planning

The center MC suites on the lower decks  up through deck 11 connect to interior staterooms.   I know there was a time when they would book these 2 rooms together on the same reservation as a "family suite" where the passengers in the interior room get access to the Retreat as well.  Of course this comes at a higher price than booking an interior room separately.   It might be worth a call to see if this option is available.  You might have better luck with info on your specific suite issue by calling the Retreat desk at 1-877-RETREAT.  These shoreside concierges specialize in the suite experience.

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Like 1

We were on Apex with two kids (18,  9)  in concierge. Sofa has a trundle bed built-in that you use at night as fourth bed. When the trundle extended the floor space is tight and it takes some careful walking to go to the balcony area. Beds itself are comfortable and wide enough. When you don't need trundle, it is very easy to push it back in.

• Like 1

Back in November, we had a Magic Carpet Suite combined with an Inside Room for our twins and we loved the setup. We've booked the same thing again on the Apex in June. It was really great having an extra bathroom and closet space as well as each of them having their own beds all while everyone still getting access to the Retreat. You have a private hallway connecting both rooms - our only "issue" was there was no way to keep both room doors open so we used the little ottoman/storage things to prop the doors open so the kids could come back and forth without having to use the room key. 

We had previously been on the Beyond with all 4 of us in a Sky Suite - it was manageable since our kids were 3 years old at the time and didnt take up a lot of space but we like the two room set up better for sure

Posted (edited)

Well, I'm embarrassed to say that I'm in a bit of a pickle.... I booked the two magic carpet sky suites as I couldn't believe the rate I was being presented with.  Turns out, even though it told me I was booking two "magic carpet sky suites" - the price I was being presented was for the Edge Staterooms with Infinite Veranda.

I'm actually quite annoyed as had I known I was getting the infinate verandas I would have chosen a different floor than level 6 😞

First time on Celebrity and Celebrity Edge I should have known better.  I've emailed my cruise contact as well as Celebrity and 4 days later I'm still yet to hear back.  Reservations can't do anything and the price is now $1K more than it was when I booked, so to be continued...

SkySuite screenshot.jpg

Edited by EllieGee83

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, EllieGee83 said:

I booked the two magic carpet sky suites as I couldn't believe the rate I was being presented with.  Turns out, even though it told me I was booking two "magic carpet sky suites" - the price I was being presented was for the Edge Staterooms with Infinite Veranda.

that's crazy! That is some bizarre IT error for sure.

Did you not check the location of these cabins before booking them?

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

@Itchy&Scratchy first time booking with Celebrity and on the Edge this was a rookie error for sure on my behalf. I’d spent so long looking at cabins I knew where the magic carpet suites were and there were only four of them in pretty much the same spot mid ship starboard. I normally do check exact cabin numbers, research them and look where they are with obstructions etc. This is definitely on me in that regard, but I wouldn't expect the whole booking process to present a stateroom type it wasn’t. At least they connect.

Edited by EllieGee83
Spelling
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, EllieGee83 said:

Well, I'm embarrassed to say that I'm in a bit of a pickle.... I booked the two magic carpet sky suites as I couldn't believe the rate I was being presented with.  Turns out, even though it told me I was booking two "magic carpet sky suites" - the price I was being presented was for the Edge Staterooms with Infinite Veranda.

I'm actually quite annoyed as had I known I was getting the infinate verandas I would have chosen a different floor than level 6 😞

First time on Celebrity and Celebrity Edge I should have known better.  I've emailed my cruise contact as well as Celebrity and 4 days later I'm still yet to hear back.  Reservations can't do anything and the price is now $1K more than it was when I booked, so to be continued...

SkySuite screenshot.jpg

you can easily change the cabin location for one in the same category without cost

• Like 1

It won't be the  2 suites,  but hopefully a location more to OP's  liking.

.We never book on the website...lots of pitfalls and we get  better  prices / cabins/ perks  when we call in!

You have a screen shot of what you booked.   Or thought you were booking. I d pursue this.  Happened to me ages ago and they honoured it.  I now take screen shots of all bookings.       Keep in mind, Celebrity has a lot of new agents so ask for supervisor/management.      grrrrrrrrrr

1 minute ago, 1Virgo said:

You have a screen shot of what you booked.   Or thought you were booking. I d pursue this.  Happened to me ages ago and they honoured it.  I now take screen shots of all bookings.       Keep in mind, Celebrity has a lot of new agents so ask for supervisor/management.      grrrrrrrrrr

If you go this route it would probably be best to contact the executive office.  They have customer service agents who are empowered to do more than the regular reservations people and are used to handle anomalies like this.  Although they have not been honoring "pricing errors" lately.

I doubt you would get very far since the cabin numbers identified in your screen shot are not MC suites and are actually E2 cabins.   As someone else has advised you can switch to other available E2 cabins without penalty.

• Like 1

OP went by what she saw on the computer.   . She thought she was booking MC suite. Agree. Executive office in today’s time.  However,  I was successful and I got our cabin booked at the price that was shown and I had a-screen shot of.    False advertising one might say to see what she saw and booked.  unfortunately we assume what we see listed is real

• Like 1