Best Caribbean Cruise for me?

wanderingnsw

Hello all, 

I am very new to cruising. I was on my first cruise last summer. We did SilverSea in Alaska. It was amazing and has perhaps ruined me for all other cruises. 

What I loved about it? The very small boat, the all-inclusive nature, the included excursions, great food. 

Does anyone have a suggestion for a Caribbean cruise line that might feel similar? I'm not really interested in the huge cruise ships. I'm looking at going during the holidays (school break!). I'm kind of at a loss of where to even begin. Any and all advice is appreciated. 

You started out with a luxury cruise line, so that may be where you need to stay.   To necessary the same line,  but the luxury lines have smaller ships.  By the holidays, do you mean Christmas?  
 The higher end lines often have open end cruises, rather than closed loop.  Look at cruises from Miami on Oceania, Silversea, Viking, Regent, Seabourn, Azamara.  Maybe Virgin, the Yacht Club on MSC or their brand Explora Journeys which is an all yacht club ship.  EM

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

You started out with a luxury cruise line, so that may be where you need to stay.   To necessary the same line,  but the luxury lines have smaller ships.  By the holidays, do you mean Christmas?  
 The higher end lines often have open end cruises, rather than closed loop.  Look at cruises from Miami on Oceania, Silversea, Viking, Regent, Seabourn, Azamara.  Maybe Virgin, the Yacht Club on MSC or their brand Explora Journeys which is an all yacht club ship.  EM

I agree with and would recommend all of the premium lines you suggested. 

But based on the OP's comments of preferring small ships v the large ships and all inclusive, that IMO would rule out Virgin. And even though Yacht Club is a ship within a ship, the MSC ships are mega ships and would be ruled out as well by me.  (IMO the Haven with NCL and the Retreat with Celebrity would be the same as yacht club, but I would not recommend them either).

I would also suggest that the OP should talk with a Travel Agent that specializes in cruises and review their preferences with them. They would be in the best position to assist IMO.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, SbbquilterUT said:

Another idea is Windstar - lovely experience per friends.  Size of ship is small and they sail some really different places in the Caribbean.

Certainly would be a different experience on one of their sailing vessels. 

17 hours ago, wanderingnsw said:

Hello all, 

I am very new to cruising. I was on my first cruise last summer. We did SilverSea in Alaska. It was amazing and has perhaps ruined me for all other cruises. 

What I loved about it? The very small boat, the all-inclusive nature, the included excursions, great food. 

Does anyone have a suggestion for a Caribbean cruise line that might feel similar? I'm not really interested in the huge cruise ships. I'm looking at going during the holidays (school break!). I'm kind of at a loss of where to even begin. Any and all advice is appreciated. 

I am inclined to favor smaller ships - a notch above mass-market size, experience and (sadly) pricing.  You could consider Oceania, Seabourn, Ponant, as well as Silver Sea.  You may pay a bit more, but if you can afford a quality vacation you cannot always focus on price.  In some cases (such as NCL) if you want good food, lack of crowding, the ability to bring your own wine aboard you will pay very little more on Oceania, for example, than on NCL - where optional add-ons, such as good food well served, and comfortable, uncrowded public spaces are all things which will add significantly to basic fares.  

• 2 months later...