The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday February 23rd, 2024

kazu

Today is Curling Is Cool Day, Diesel Engine Day, and International Stand Up to Bullying Day (last Friday in Feb)

There are three constants in life... change, choice and principles. - Stephen Covey

Meal Suggestion for today - Whole Wheat Oatmeal Cookies
Drink of the Day - Jack O Lantern
Wine of the Day - Watermill Winery 2020 The Rocks District GSM
Destination of the Day - Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Island

Today in History:
1540 Francisco Vázquez de Coronado's expedition sets off from Mexico in search of the 7 cities of Cibola
1836 Alamo besieged for 13 days until March 6 by Mexican army under General Santa Anna
1904 United States acquires control of the Panama Canal Zone for $10 million

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Nassau, Bahamas, New Providence Island 10:00 - 19:00 

Koningsdam

Hilo, Hawaii Island 07:00 - 18:00 

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 02-24

Nieuw Statendam

Cozumel, Quintana Roo Mexico, Riviera Maya 11:00 - 21:00 

Oosterdam

Puerto Chacabuco, Chile 11:00 - 19:00 

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas eta 02-24

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Iles du Salut, French Guiana eta 02-24

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Napier, New Zealand eta 02-25

Volendam

Adelaide, South Australia 08:00 - 17:00 

Westerdam

Kaohsiung, Taiwan China 08:00 - 17:00 

Zuiderdam

Naha, Okinawa Island Japan 07:00 -

• Like 15
  • Thanks 20

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP

SusieKIslandGirl’s loss of her grade school friend

RMLincoln’s DSIL hospitalized, to go to Rehab, with treatments

2 policemen/1 fireman killed in Minnesota responding to a domestic dispute 

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; loss of US military members

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with pulmonary issues

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness, hoping for improvement

Haljo1945 with a frozen shoulder, PT for now

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Lindaler (Linda)!

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy out of ICU!

RMLincoln’s DH Richard dealing day to day after his eye procedure 

Lcubed covering the Daily wine  

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Cruise Suzy (Nieuw Amsterdam Feb 24 to Mar 2) 7d Western Caribbean

2 days for Lady Hudson (Anthem of the Seas Feb 25 to Mar 3) 7d Bahamas & Perfect Day

Ottahand7 (Eurodam to Feb 24 B2B2B Caribbean), Mister 67 (Celebrity Equinox to Feb 24) 9d Aruba, Curacao & Cayman Cruise, Cat Shepard (Norwegian Escape to Feb 24) 7d Caribbean: Great Stirrup Cay & Dominican Republic, Mr. Boston (Rotterdam to Feb 25) 9d Southern Caribbean Seafarer, Nickelpenny (Zaandam to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer, Mtn2Sea(Zaandam to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer, USN59-79 (Seabourn Sojourn to Mar 24) 33d Sydney to Taipei + 17d in Taipei, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister(Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 22

Good Morning, thank you for today’s daily fleet report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds is a really nice treat.  Tonight we will have baked ziti with some wine.

Today there is only one meeting on my work schedule.  I do expect to be a bit busy helping customers deal with the cyber attack at Change Healthcare.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.7742b2307730c787dca7ea343f449d7a.png

• Like 21
  • Haha 10

Happy TGIF and thanks to Rich, Roy, Vanessa, Laura, Dixie & Debbie for their dedicated contributions.

Interesting collection of days.  I will gladly celebrate Stand Up for Bullying Day today and every day.  The quote by Covey is quite true. I think the meal is really a dessert or a snack 😉. Great days in history.

IMG_2171.jpeg.3ad8e077faeb615468f02ad23ed7c271.jpeg

Quick post as I have an early physio appointment and Ivan needs to be tended to before hand.  we have a mess coming in.  I’m having a hard time deciphering it but hopefully I am back before it gets too messy.

IMG_2173.jpeg.6d1a50cfd639b07ca5b49b95a5d72bb2.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries & those that need them 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

Outlook-image014.J.jpeg.ac7b60701f5e4e45fe44e76b86651ec3.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Haha 5

Good morning to all and thanks for the daily and fleet report. I hate my curls so I always have them cut off, diesel is important and everyone should stand up against bullying! Thoughtful quote. I will pass on the cookies and drinks. I went to Kona on my Hawaii cruise. Let’s see if I can find some pictures. 

IMG_2354.thumb.jpeg.06c5e13cfffb26e522e36f76b6a39409.jpegIMG_2125.thumb.jpeg.ff1eb0f6f878d5cedbb110a5577114e7.jpegIMG_2196.thumb.jpeg.59c74644a20aacaf5a6f0908ad630c71.jpegIMG_2200.thumb.jpeg.d3114c9238726f164ef40e4a2de70d32.jpegIMG_2187.thumb.jpeg.cd2096fe8c7b62ba2ebcdcdff9fcbf87.jpegIMG_2168.thumb.jpeg.1e523d34f741d034c430998cc486db71.jpegIMG_1986.thumb.jpeg.cfd10f0f7d78b699495e854060879cfa.jpeg

It’s a sea day today. A tiny bit rocky but not bad. Tonight we are having a Beerfest Dinner (“Enjoy traditional German food offerings….”) and the 3pm tea is “German Tea Time” but I have a reservation at Pinnacle for dinner 😀. It seems port day offerings are the boring standard fare for things to do but today I kept marking things to do and some conflicted. Talks about Brazil, the Amazon, Devils Island etc. 

we went through some sargassum a little earlier. 

IMG_4799.thumb.jpeg.0c166d942285327bfb1b8a0fea730210.jpegIMG_4801.thumb.jpeg.d75b89c5fae930e7e51649d6c67d4414.jpeg

thoughts for all and 🍾 to everyone!!!  Have a great day. 

IMG_2192.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6

Good morning.  Happy Friday!

Thanks for the Report.  Thanks for the maps.  Thanks for the lists.  Thanks for the recipes.  This is a great place to start the day.

It's a lot cooler today and we'll be really cold tonight.  Tonight's low is -13°C (9°F).  Brrr

I'm not a curler but it's a popular sport around here.  The diesel engine is important.  I will stand up to bullying.

I like the quote.

I like the meal (?) suggestion, hope the drink and wine are winners too.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a good day.  Stay safe.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Ann, Debbie, Dixie, Jacqui,Laura,Roy and Vanessa for all of the work you do every day putting together the Daily report.

It is sunny and 42°F here.

3 good days especially Standing up to Bullying which takes on a totally different perspective with everyone having mobile phones and using social media.

We have been to today's port on Grand Princess in November 2019.

3 important dates in history.

I hope everyone is well and looking forward to a nice day.

• Like 25

Good morning friends!  Today it's currently raining and it should only last a short time this morning.  Temp is 57, but the high will be 65 with afternoon sunshine.

Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the maps of the ship locations.  I will go along with curling, diesel engines, and will stand up to bullying.  The whole wheat oatmeal cookies certainly aren't a meal but a good snack.  No thanks to the cocktail and wine.  Always interesting to hear about the past and the important happenings for Coronado, the Alamo and the Panama Canal.  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Laura @Lcubed for your reports today.

Prayers said as usual for my family and friends in need, people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages held and our military members at sea and on bases in the region.  Also for our Care list folks, especially Tana, Vanessa @JazzyV, Jane @lazey1, Roy @rafinmd, Annie @marshhawk and Chuck @catmando, and all the DHs with health issues.  Congrats to all celebrating happy events like Linda @lindaler who has a birthday today, and to all our cruisers. 🎂 There are so many!  The cruise lines must be happy! 🚢 Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for taking the time to update the lists every day.  Praying for improvement for you with pain and sleep time.🙏

DS flew back to Michigan yesterday from a conference he attended this week in San Francisco.  Tonight he will fly to Dallas, and on Sunday he and DDIL will fly to Madrid for a special spring break getaway.  I hope they enjoy their week there.  Ren has a good friend/Mom to one of his soccer buddies from Tiger and Jaguars day staying there to keep him on track and fed.  

The port this morning is Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Island.  There are two links this morning for previous dates which are May 30, 2022 and Nov. 5, 2023.  We have visited there a couple times so I'll repost my photos.  Here are the links.

Have a good Friday everyone, and please keep safe and stay well.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

We visited Kona twice, in 2007 on Diamond Princess and in 2017 on Maasdam.

On Dec. 9, 2007 we stopped in Kona on a Diamond Princess Hawaii cruise, our first trip there.  We had an outrigger canoe shore excursion planned so tendered to shore with time to spare.  The view when we arrived on the dock.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

And the lagoon on the opposite side of the dock.  Our tour would leave from here.

Seated on my side of the outrigger.  It wasn’t an ideal place to take photos once we were away from shore so I don’t have many.

One of the few photos taken during that tour.

An hour later we stopped at this restaurant for a refreshing beverage

In 2007 we saw the Hulihe’e Palace which is a museum but a former home of Hawaiian royalty.

9.5 years later we visited on Maasdam and it looked like this.  A whole new color scheme and roof color

More photos from our April 2, 2017 visit on Maasdam.  The lagoon again on the side of the dock.

This time there were kayaks there.

As you leave the dock this is the main road along the shore looking towards the Hulihe’e Palace Museum and the MoKuaiKaua Church, established in 1820.

The former BHB Maasdam

The last time I saw Kona

A great place to visit in Hawaii.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 8

9 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We visited Kona twice, in 2007 on Diamond Princess and in 2017 on Maasdam.

On Dec. 9, 2007 we stopped in Kona on a Diamond Princess Hawaii cruise, our first trip there.  We had an outrigger canoe shore excursion planned so tendered to shore with time to spare.  The view when we arrived on the dock.

And the lagoon on the opposite side of the dock.  Our tour would leave from here.

Seated on my side of the outrigger.  It wasn’t an ideal place to take photos once we were away from shore so I don’t have many.

One of the few photos taken during that tour.

An hour later we stopped at this restaurant for a refreshing beverage

In 2007 we saw the Hulihe’e Palace which is a museum but a former home of Hawaiian royalty.

9.5 years later we visited on Maasdam and it looked like this.  A whole new color scheme and roof color

More photos from our April 2, 2017 visit on Maasdam.  The lagoon again on the side of the dock.

This time there were kayaks there.

As you leave the dock this is the main road along the shore looking towards the Hulihe’e Palace Museum and the MoKuaiKaua Church, established in 1820.

The former BHB Maasdam

The last time I saw Kona

A great place to visit in Hawaii.  

Thank you for your interesting photos and port feedback Sandi.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Happy Friday. Thanks for the daily and Fleet reports. 

Chilly with some sun today. 

Nothing much planned today except for some paperwork. The snow is almost gone. I hope this weekend to maybe get out and start clearing out some of the garden beds. I definately have a case of spring fever, 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

70 Funniest Friday Memes and Best TGIF Meme for the Weekend in 2021 ...

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Jack O Lantern cocktail:

Ingredients
1 ounce light rum
1 ounce dark rum
1 ounce 151
1 ounce Cointreau orange liqueur
3 ounces orange juice
1 ½ ounce lemonade
¼ ounce grenadine
Instructions
Place 1 cup of ice in a cocktail shaker.
Add all ingredients and shake to combine.
Pour into glass {jack o lantern or hurricane} and fill with ice.
Garnish with an orange wheel and straw, and serve.

Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 7.09.01 AM.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 19

Good Morning! The temperature this morning is 52f/11c and should warm to the mid 70s. This is festival season here. Last weekend was the Strawberry festival, this weekend is the Gourd art fest. and the Greek fest. In the following weeks we have the Botanical fest., Seafood fest., India Fest and Spring fest to name a few. We'll be heading to the Greek festival today. I hope everyone has a great weekend. 

Today's wine seems hard to find and I’m not sure if I would like “clay pot minerality.”

Watermill Winery 2020 The Rocks District GSM

The red blend of Rhone varietals includes 50% Syrah, 25% Grenache and 25% Mourvedre. On the nose, it presents aromas of red berry jam, bacon fat and black pepper. On the palate, it opens with vibrant raspberry with notes of black tea and dried herbs emerging on the mid-palate before finishing with clay pot minerality.

- Reviewed by Gary Hayes

SavorNW Award: Best of Class 2023
Judges Score: 97 Points
Price: $53

• Like 16
  • Thanks 13

Good morning, everyone!

It will be a bit cooler here today in mid-Michigan with temperatures only reaching the high 30s.  We are back to Farkel on Fridays with DB and DSIL.  Today I have a luncheon with former classmates.

@bennybear My condolences to your friend on the loss of her son.  

@lindaler

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.0475c1ef918a7ca592467546d8b4880c.jpg

Today we are having dessert for dinner!   We've done that before.  If you don't like dessert for dinner, think of it as breakfast for dinner.  It is, after all, oatmeal.  And, it is extra healthy because it uses whole wheat flour.  This first recipe promises a soft and chewy cookie.  https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/whole-wheat-oatmeal-cookies-recipe/

oatmealcookies1.thumb.jpg.b171b3b74184ed854282ed750829adf4.jpgoatmealcookies1.thumb.jpg.b171b3b74184ed854282ed750829adf4.jpg

This one adds in raisins.  Raisins are fruit, so again, we have a healthy meal.  You could use any dried fruit in these cookies.  Dried cranberries sound good.   https://www.healthyseasonalrecipes.com/whole-wheat-oatmeal-cookies/

oatmealcookies2.thumb.jpg.636de787aa208c782ee160d42b5d3cab.jpg

If you want to go the dessert route, how about adding in chocolate chips? Or how about peanut butter chips?  Mmmmm.  https://www.fitmittenkitchen.com/whole-wheat-oatmeal-chocolate-chip-cookies/

oatmealcookies3.thumb.jpg.53505cec72f8dc9a15a50d17197567a2.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 16

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I haven't curled since high school, but I did enjoy the sport.  Diesel engines are good, but I can't stand the smell of the exhaust; it totally takes my breath away.  As a parent of a child who was bullied, I will always stand up to bullies, no matter what age they are.  Interesting quote.

There's a big full moon out there just shining down on me in the computer room; I'm loving it.  This morning as I opened up the curtains in the living room I saw two large white bunny rabbits loping down the street.  The size of them surprised me, as they were larger than our big kitty, Sochi.  I'm pretty sure they were jack rabbits, rather than snowshoe hares.  It's still cool and dark (-13C) right now, but we're supposed to get a high of +4 (39F) which means there's going to be a lot of melting happening.

@lindaler Happy Birthday; I hope you have many healthy and happy returns of the day!

@bennybearI'm sorry to hear of the loss of your friend's son.

Yesterday enjoyed lunch with our friends who went on the cruise without us - it was interesting to hear their take on things.  Something of note was that the quality of food in the dining room had really deteriorated - as Fran said:  " I like lasagna, but to have it appear on the menu 3 times in one week was strange."  Wayne said the steaks were tough and sinewy, even after having the waiter bring a replacement.  Breakfasts were a disappointment with very thin, tough pancakes and waffles that were brought to the table cold and hard.  They did say the Pinnacle was wonderful - and had their first taste of Clothesline Bacon, which they really enjoyed.  

I have to make a run to Walmart today to pick up some food for Sochi and to find C cell batteries - while DH was going through the boxes he has stored downstairs, he found 2 brand new (still in the package) flashlights for which we have no batteries.  We have a plethora of double and triple A size, but not a single C anywhere.  Other than that there's nothing on our agenda, just hanging around and living life.

Wow, that drink of the day would certainly put one's lights out!  4 ounces of alchohol and 3 of juice; that would be one and done!  I'd like to try the wine if it wasn't so expensive, and the meal of the day reminds me of one we had in the early years of our marriage.  After a long day at work, neither of us felt like cooking, and were too tired to go out, so we looked in the fridge - we ended up having cherry pie and ice cream for dinner that night. It's Friday night pizza night here, so later this afternoon I'll check the online menus to see what appeals to us and we'll enjoy something hot and cheesy at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, or just needs a hug.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone from the sunny Caribbean as we steam towards Half Moon Cay. Today is DH’s birthday and we’ll finally get to dine in Rudi’s Sel de Mer, no cookies for me!  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  Two great days to celebrate and one necessary evil. Curling is cool, that’s a fact and where would we be without diesel engines.  I got to witness an old man bully this morning berating a barista because he didn’t hear his name called when his coffee was ready all the while scolding with his mouth full of food, disgusting behavior and manners.  Nice quote but he left out death and taxes!  The drink sounds like something I’d have at Halloween.  I haven’t been to today’s port. Prayers for those on our prayer list today, maybe one for the nasty old man so that he’ll change his ways.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today!  Happy birthday @lindaler ! 🥂

Edited by Mr. Boston
Spelling
  • Like 26

Interesting collection of days - anti-bullying is important. I would like the cookies but need something more substantial as a meal, pass on the drink, maybe try the wine 🍷 if someone else is buying, was in Kona Dec 30 and will share a couple pictures. Important says in history.

Still no call from PT that they've received approval so I will call them. And I'll work today; hope it's easier today - yesterday's outages caused a few snags for us.

Currently 54° headed to sunny 73°, forecast still says 90° on Monday; my calendar says it's still Feb. 🤷‍♀️

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 🙏

Visited Kona Dec 30 2023 on the Christmas New Years K'dam cruise - my first solo cruise.

Bow Cam at arrival

20240223_064030.thumb.jpg.8a22a669e1f704bd7976233f8c21d4ab.jpg

Aft Cam at arrival

20240223_064100.thumb.jpg.d02a17a83d73b52870c5f15be44e19f4.jpg

No excursion - I walked around the port. I was going to crop the top of this, but decided to leave it so you can see how blue the sky was that day. Later, there were some clouds.

20240223_064235.thumb.jpg.3f5447a823ab970d42c7cc01b0d7e6fb.jpg

The public beach is right at the tenders.

20240223_063921.thumb.jpg.48c60a1c224a1197ce25332f6bbc1457.jpgI saw parasailers and paddle boarders.

20240223_063933.thumb.jpg.844e994c6b3a326d452642c3ced2a8ce.jpg

20240223_064326.thumb.jpg.42b4d7d4b19b977cd2d43d80288581f8.jpg

20240223_064337.thumb.jpg.44b0d240f161baf8541e1deee07ecb1b.jpg

I walked to the right - This is the start of my walk

20240223_063802.thumb.jpg.e39479866dc4200a5e7383d587bb9898.jpg

20240223_063748.thumb.jpg.435f87432b381fdc1e34a4a79d5deebf.jpg

Parks dept office - ship is anchored out between the buildings, across the street is a small market.

20240223_063847.thumb.jpg.0b65301c2c8e4f823525618ea14a8701.jpg

20240223_063902.thumb.jpg.91f3fbe6f36f629d45a61becdde44bca.jpg

Shopping list was short - local wine (this did not make the cut due to price)20240223_064524.thumb.jpg.578ace64dad5af810edd7449f02801a6.jpg

And a book for the grand

20240223_064545.thumb.jpg.d65904af32d1dadeee30f3e0be167cf9.jpg

This tree is just across from the beach - pretty and popular for shade

20240223_064604.thumb.jpg.857c8eef16064a6a5f3df9ca64cbac71.jpg

20240223_064453.thumb.jpg.61bbcc66f4fb576b82ad152c8f8d585d.jpg

View of K'dam as I was walking

20240223_064301.thumb.jpg.2d878d315aa52759e18e516059a3275c.jpg

Last tender was 5:30, but a special run was made to go get the final passenger. 

20240223_064701.thumb.jpg.19723eff30967b74fcb97b66f3bb0a48.jpg

20231230_180652.thumb.jpg.5d09169257b7b467586c678361cbe5f0.jpg

20240223_064404.thumb.jpg.c58bc46534117f2e9b248399cac98e3d.jpg

Kona Sunset as seen from the K'dam

20240223_064648.thumb.jpg.0b564f9d76d5f7da16f7d1d4ff322549.jpg

20240223_064636.thumb.jpg.186346b6207d94aeb585aef9e5e3fd36.jpg

This is the port map we were given on the ship

20240223_063710.thumb.jpg.33cef89c80659d03da6d44b44168f11b.jpg

20240223_062222.thumb.jpg.a03ccb8ebf2c6dc301d247f48dc9dd3d.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3