Lets Talk Guarantee Booking Experiences

Cruisegirl6

For those who booked a guarantee room on the E class ships, tell me, what did you book (Oceanview, verandah, aqua class, etc.), when were you assigned (how many days prior to the cruise) and what category did they assigned you and your cabin number and were you happy or not and or did you changed your cabin assignment a second time?  Also, would you book it again if you had the opportunity?

I like to hear people's experiences as they also help answer questions of others who are curious also, thank you.

Booked GTY Concierge on Ascent 2/4/24 sailing. Price was same as a pick your cabin Ocean View. Assigned Prime Concierge 12187 within 48 hours. Very happy with the convenient location so did not change. A bit of noise as it's under the pool walkway. Would book again though. 

• Like 1

I was assigned maybe a week later? The room seems fine. The only thing that may bother me is that it’s a connecting room and I don’t usually book connecting rooms because I’m noise sensitive. But I did a search and it seems like most people have not had any problems.

• Like 1

Booked an inside GTY for a sailing onboard Ascent. Cabin assigned almost immediately. Unfortunately it was 3162 which is right next to the Martini bar with its 120 db sound level. Worked with my TA to get changed. Originally told there were no other cabins of the same category available. The TA ended up having her Celebrity rep move us to another inside on an upper deck. Never again will we book an inside GTY !!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

First off , we can really talk but we can write 🤣

sometime it a couple weeks , one time booking with Celebrity book gty inside and at time of booking was given an ov, which was later upgraded to  balcony , 

Nice!!

Our last cruise and upcoming cruise were booked as guarantees. Our last was on Reflection and we booked a veranda gty and were assigned deck 7 after a week or two I think, but don’t remember exactly which because we did a move up bid and got it (this was toward the tale end of the covid restrictions and the ship was only 2/3rd full). We ended up with a Sunset veranda which was fantastic.  

For our upcoming cruise on Ascent we booked a veranda gty. I think we were assigned about 2 weeks later. We got one of the deluxe porthole verandas on deck 6. Initially we were in the front of the ship but I was able to move us to one of the ones in the back since we prefer the back to the front. Just a personal preference, no particular reason. 

• Like 2

Booked a verandah guarantee on Silhouette in October for a Norwegian fjord cruise this June. Just got assigned last week…to a sunset (aft) verandah on deck 7. 

Works for me!!! 🤣

Edited by sstepson
Added info
  • Like 2

I think you may need to compare those that booked Guaranteed because there was nothing left in that category vs booking it because it was cheaper but there were cabins available to book within that category for more money. 

If there isn't anything available to book in the category, it is likely that nothing is going to get assigned until final payment is due and if things don't open then, your next opportunity would be when move up bids start getting processed.

What yields better results ..selecting a .Cabin Guarantee or booking a set cabin and try Move Up Bid?  (I am aware that  u need a cabin assigned before you can try to move up.).

kind of confusing.which is the .reason we book a set cabin and stick with it.

Seems Move Up is resulting in ships being more crowded

Edited by hcat

I booked a guarantee cabin on Celebrity Equinox (through our travel agent) and was assigned a cabin within a day.  I noticed on the deck plan that the couch didn't make into a bed, so called Celebrity and explained I needed the couch to be converted to a bed in the evenings, the agent asked what cabin I would like.  I gave him the new cabin number and was able to change the cabin immediately.

• Like 1

We almost always book balcony guarantee. With only a few exceptions, there are no bad balcony staterooms (having a lifeboat outside our window doesn't bother us). On the other hand, I would never book an ocean view guarantee as there are many of those that are undesirable for various reasons .. spent a week in a room next to the aft thrusters once.

Our experience is that the stateroom is assigned within 24-48 hours.

With dynamic pricing, you can sometimes encounter weird pricing anomalies. Recently booked a cruise where a concierge gty was $200 less than ocean view.

• Like 1

We have 2 gty bookings coming up. The first is in a suite and it was assigned at the booking. Liked the location and am keeping it. The second gty booking is for a transpacific crossing next year. We were lucky to get an AQ gty because that category is sold out. No room assigned yet. (Booked 2 mths ago.). We are just happy to be doing that cruise. The only other time we booked a gty room was 25 plus years ago and we had a nice cabin. Usually we pick the cabin and location ourselves.

Edited by Yplr
  • Like 1

I booked a GTY veranda cabin on Equinox about 90 days out from the cruise. At the time of booking, no specific cabins were available for us to book. Within a week we were assigned a Deluxe Veranda within a few days of booking. We were pretty happy with the assignment given that the cabin has a slightly larger veranda.

• Like 1

Booked a guaranteed suite for a sailing that was within the final payment window. Within two weeks, we were assigned an Aqua Sky Suite, which is in a good location. The ship is now completely sold out, and we are about eight weeks out. When we booked this, ship was sold out except for suites, so decided to just go with the cheapest suite—a guarantee.

• Like 1

The GTY process is the same regardless of ship.  The assignment window can be anytime after booking to day of sailing.  But in reality, and in our experience, it typically occurred 10 days prior at the latest and about 30 - 45 days out.

But the important thing is if for some reason you are not happy with the assigned location, contact your travel agent if you used one, or Celebrity directly if you did not, and they can move you to any other available stateroom within the category and subcategory that was originally assigned.  No hassle and no charge to do so. 

That being said we have generally been happy with the assignment, but on those few occasions when we preferred a different location, we were moved to one without any issue.

34 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

The GTY process is the same regardless of ship.  The assignment window can be anytime after booking to day of sailing.  But in reality, and in our experience, it typically occurred 10 days prior at the latest and about 30 - 45 days out.

But the important thing is if for some reason you are not happy with the assigned location, contact your travel agent if you used one, or Celebrity directly if you did not, and they can move you to any other available stateroom within the category and subcategory that was originally assigned.  No hassle and no charge to do so. 

That being said we have generally been happy with the assignment, but on those few occasions when we preferred a different location, we were moved to one without any issue.

Thank you for this.  A concierge opened and I called bluechip (it was a blue chip deal, my other half had aqua class and concierge class but had to choose amongst certain sailings and the sailing we wanted was not on the list so they created an Oceanview comp which there was one guarantee open which is what we took).  Today, a concierge cabin opened up and I called to ask the cost to upgrade and was told not to worry, to wait it out, that I can be issued a cabin up to two days before the sailing.  Odd, how they didn't want me to give $$$ to move up which I think they already know what cabin I will be assigned.

1 hour ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Thank you for this.  A concierge opened and I called bluechip (it was a blue chip deal, my other half had aqua class and concierge class but had to choose amongst certain sailings and the sailing we wanted was not on the list so they created an Oceanview comp which there was one guarantee open which is what we took).  Today, a concierge cabin opened up and I called to ask the cost to upgrade and was told not to worry, to wait it out, that I can be issued a cabin up to two days before the sailing.  Odd, how they didn't want me to give $$$ to move up which I think they already know what cabin I will be assigned.

Not sure I follow your bluechip reference, but with Celebrity, the GTY's are typically assigned within the general Category in which you book - Inside, OV, Veranda, Concierge, etc.  While it is not uncommon for them to assign a higher subcategory within each general category, it is very rare for them to jump general categories with the assignment as each has their own GTY fare. 

In other words, if you are booked in an Oceanview, then you are likely to receive an OV 02 or 01 assignment.  I would think it would be very unlikely that your OVY GTY would wind up with an XC (Concierge GTY) stateroom assignment.  That would be a 9 subcategory jump across two general categories!

Not sure why you were given that advice.  If you booked your OVY GTY with a non-refundable deposit you would lose that to rebook any higher GTY category.  Maybe they were thinking of that when they advised against it.  

Whatever happens, good luck and I hope you are ok with the stateroom assigned.  And again, that can be changed, but only into another stateroom as the category and subcategory assigned.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

58 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Not sure I follow your bluechip reference, but with Celebrity, the GTY's are typically assigned within the general Category in which you book - Inside, OV, Veranda, Concierge, etc.  While it is not uncommon for them to assign a higher subcategory within each general category, it is very rare for them to jump general categories with the assignment as each has their own GTY fare. 

In other words, if you are booked in an Oceanview, then you are likely to receive an OV 02 or 01 assignment.  I would think it would be very unlikely that your OVY GTY would wind up with an XC (Concierge GTY) stateroom assignment.  That would be a 9 subcategory jump across two general categories!

Not sure why you were given that advice.  If you booked your OVY GTY with a non-refundable deposit you would lose that to rebook any higher GTY category.  Maybe they were thinking of that when they advised against it.  

Whatever happens, good luck and I hope you are ok with the stateroom assigned.  And again, that can be changed, but only into another stateroom as the category and subcategory assigned.

Hello, I didn't make this post in hopes I hear of an upgrade, I was curious as to how others who booked guarantee cabins what the time frame was in receiving their assigned cabin number and curious if they are happy with what they got.  We had no choice in the matter, it was the only room (besides a 15k suite) available and we just happy to get on this sailing to be honest.  We prefer 8 nights and the ABC islands and it certainly was last minute as I booked less than two weeks ago.  The ship is sold out but I know they will get me a room.  Just wondering how others who booked guarantee did, and it seems by the above answers most of them received their cabin assignment from two weeks of booking.  

To be honest, my husband was offered aqua class and concierge but we had to choose those particular sailings and the sailing we wanted was not offered, therefore, they created a complimentary Oceanview room for him on the sailing we wanted, but the only availability was one Oceanview guarantee which we grabbed.  Maybe it is shown in his file of his current offers of having aqua class and concierge, who knows what will happen I find out lol.  My sister in law was upgraded as well as my sister the past year.   If I just walked away, I loose nothing because we only paid for the taxes and fees which are always refundable even if I cancel three days before the cruise, but we are going.  

My concern is the ship is no longer selling but they reassured me that I will get a room.  This will be my 105th cruise (would of been more but I was not allowed on cruises during covid) and I never booked a guarantee cabin and not familiar with the process.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

My concern is the ship is no longer selling but they reassured me that I will get a room.  This will be my 105th cruise (would of been more but I was not allowed on cruises during covid) and I never booked a guarantee cabin and not familiar with the process.  Thanks!

I am sure that your sailing is still selling, but you may not hear on your assignment until close to the sailing date.  We have booked a number of GYT's and the process is as I described it.  And if they accepted a deposit from you and issued a reservation number to you, then you will get a stateroom.  When GTY's are offered they allocate a certain number of staterooms to that GTY and will only accept deposits when there are still staterooms available in that allocation. Once closed, assignments will be issued.

BTW - nobody was sailing during covid as the cruise lines were shut down - LOL.  Congrats on your sailing career!  Keep cruising.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

If you booked your OVY GTY with a non-refundable deposit you would lose that to rebook any higher GTY category.  Maybe they were thinking of that when they advised against it.  

Not true on Celebrity.  The change fee is only for change of ship or sail date.   I just did a category change a week ago and confirmed no change fee.   Now if your TA charges a change fee I'd look for a new TA.

• Like 1