Tipping on Silversea

SLC0606

Tipping is a personal issue and everyone should feel comfortable doing what they wish to. Personally, I will on occasion tip individual crew for outstanding service- this can include our room steward, maître d’s, waiters and bar tenders. I rarely give money to the crew fund.

We are yet to sail with Silversea but do have 2 cruises in the pipeline. If it's anything like Regent and Seabourn, mentioning individual staff by name either on questionnaires or directly to their managers regarding excellent service can mean that they are seriously considered when a promotion becomes available. Tip (if you must) but also let management know just how delighted you are.

Sadly that doesn't work with the back room staff as we don't know who they are so that is where a donation to the crew fund can come in 😁

• Like 4

On 3/8/2024 at 7:03 AM, Techno123 said:

We are yet to sail with Silversea but do have 2 cruises in the pipeline. If it's anything like Regent and Seabourn, mentioning individual staff by name either on questionnaires or directly to their managers regarding excellent service can mean that they are seriously considered when a promotion becomes available. Tip (if you must) but also let management know just how delighted you are.

Sadly that doesn't work with the back room staff as we don't know who they are so that is where a donation to the crew fund can come in 😁

Not sure why you say “tip if you must!”

@LAexNY   Have you never heard that phrase used? My mother used it regularly when I wanted to do something she couldn't talk me out of 😜

On the 3 cruise lines I mentioned, the tips are included in the cost of the fare therefore there is no requirement to tip again but people still choose to do so (even in places where tipping is not the culture). The debates about this are endless hence the 'if you must' however, raising a member of staff's profile with their manager can have far reaching, long term benefits.

• Like 3

On 3/8/2024 at 10:03 AM, Techno123 said:

Originally, the crew fund was meant to primarily benefit crew members in need, so it's really a toss up as to which crew members -- front or back of house -- receive the benefit. 

28 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

Originally, the crew fund was meant to primarily benefit crew members in need, so it's really a toss up as to which crew members -- front or back of house -- receive the benefit. 

Originally.  Now it is used more for crew-wide benefit.

30 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

What type of crew-wide benefit? Crew parties, nights out, etc?

Those yes.  Here is a post with more detail than I even knew:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, commodoredave said:

What type of crew-wide benefit? Crew parties, nights out, etc?

From my understanding, things that SS should be paying for anyway.  The whole”assistance for crew members that need to fly home for family emergencies” etc  should be provided by a caring employer anyway, not the passengers. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

From my understanding, things that SS should be paying for anyway.  The whole”assistance for crew members that need to fly home for family emergencies” etc  should be provided by a caring employer anyway, not the passengers. 

From my understanding over the years, the company usually does help with getting them home in an emergency. The crew fund money has been used to give the crew member some extra cash if needed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

What's interesting (actually, not, knowing human nature) is that the ones who proclaim things like this the loudest are also the ones who complain the loudest when fares go up. 😏

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Completely agree. I also question the value of giving to a crew party. 

3 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

What's interesting (actually, not, knowing human nature) is that the ones who proclaim things like this the loudest are also the ones who complain the loudest when fares go up. 😏

What’s the purpose of gratuities being included if pax feel they also should give money to a crew welfare fund? Any extra tips should be for extra service.

• Like 1

I have a bit of experience with a couple of hotels that have done some thing similar basically from their own funds but also from guests in the know if you like. The staff at one we had over 100 stays got 2 picnic days a year. And everyone got that. To cover all staff they did 6 days a year.

Result was that the staff were the happiest and most loyal at any hotel we stayed at hence our returning as often as we did. Unfortunately their long standing GM retired and the new fellow didn’t believe in it. So we no longer stay there and many of the staff have also moved on.

So I look on it as being to my benefit by keeping the crew as happy and loyal as they are and now probably the only reason I keep cruising with SS.

• Like 5

About five or six years ago while on a cruise, a happy Silversea crew member told me that they had just received new furniture for a crew lounge.  The furniture was procured with funds from the so called "crew's fund" that guests donated to.  He said the crew really appreciated it!

That left a bad taste in my mouth.  Should we be paying for something that in my mind is the cruise line's responsibility?  I have not donated since but tip individuals who provide great service. 

32 minutes ago, nfcu said:

That left a bad taste in my mouth.  Should we be paying for something that in my mind is the cruise line's responsibility?  I have not donated since but tip individuals who provide great service. 

By that argument should the cruise line also pay the staff properly so that tips are unnecessary and don't only favour the few at front-of-house? 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, nfcu said:

About five or six years ago while on a cruise, a happy Silversea crew member told me that they had just received new furniture for a crew lounge.  The furniture was procured with funds from the so called "crew's fund" that guests donated to.  He said the crew really appreciated it!

Wait.  Did you skip over the "happy Silversea crew member" part?  He was happy for something that benefited all the crew.  Your tipping selected individuals means that those you don't tip don't get any benefit.  

I can't change the world – or cruise line remuneration policies – but I can help all the crew by contributing to the crew welfare fund.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Wait.  Did you skip over the "happy Silversea crew member" part?  He was happy for something that benefited all the crew.  Your tipping selected individuals means that those you don't tip don't get any benefit.  

I can't change the world – or cruise line remuneration policies – but I can help all the crew by contributing to the crew welfare fund.

I’m pleased that some pax give to the crew welfare fund and do not wish to discourage them from doing so. It’s possible that the lounge furniture, crew parties, picnics, etc. that it pays for may help to create a happier atmosphere on the ship. As for me, I will continue to tip only those crew who provide me with extra service, and by doing so create a happier situation for them. This way, together, we can achieve both of our objectives.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If these guests specifically asked the hotel director for guidance and this was provided then fair enough but if this has been sent to all passengers then I am afraid it is the thin end of the wedge and absolutely not appropriate on a tips included cruise!

Update - I have read the thread on the other site and they are mainly horrified. The recipient who posted the letter had not asked the question and it appears all guests received it. Poor show.

Edited by Techno123
  • Like 10

7 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

On another site, passengers aboard the Silver Dawn have just shared a letter they received from the Hotel Director suggesting appropriate amounts for "additional appreciation."

May be an image of ticket stub and text

I am gobsmacked by this.  Was this approved by corporate?  How will the sharing take place?

On my next cruise will I receive a letter pointing out that fuel prices have risen during the voyage and that I can go to Reception to contribute to the bunkering fund? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

I'll be glad when my May cruise on Nova is finished where I'm using most of the future cruise credit I received after Silversea messed up so badly on the previous cruise I had booked but never took. The balance of the FCC can, well, you get it. After May I won't be back here and will delete the other social media site. Silversea/Royal Caribbean will then be a memory. I'm sure it was a fine line before Royal Caribbean.

Edited by Texas Tillie

I just saw this and was truly appalled. Apparently the HD is new on the ship and doesn’t appear to have had any training. If this was done off her own back, then hopefully she will be gone soon. If it was authorised by corporate then SS needs to change all their marking asap and ‘own’ this.

• Like 8