Tipping on Silversea

SLC0606

Do people tip on Silversea?  I’ve heard that it’s not encouraged, but in the past, we’ve often tipped some people who went above and beyond to make our trip enjoyable.  This is our first time on Silversea.

17 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Your approach will work fine.  We also put money in the crew appreciation fund on checkout.  Lots of threads on this if you want more details or other opinions.

Yes, do remember the crew fund which also benefits those you don't see but without whom there would be no cruise: deck hands, engineering crew, laundry, kitchen staff etc. 

• Like 4

One of the reasons I picked SS and SB is because of the inclusion of things like WiFi, drinks and gratuities.  After looking at SS included excursions with this cruise that will be another reason I select them.  I am gratuitied out and I don't intend to tip anyone onboard.  I expect the service to be excellent which is another reason why I chose them.  

• Like 10

15 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Based on our experience, you won't be disappointed, tip or no tip.  There is no need to tip.

That is so reassuring, QueSeraSera.  I can't wait for April 27th!  My cruise is on May 5th out of Singapore but we are going early to spend some time exploring the city.  

• Like 1

They did make a pitch at the end of the cruise for the Crew Welfare Fund, and gave good examples of how that fund is used to enhance the crew's free time.  

I think you could add it to your account (and therefore pay by credit card), but I waited until too late so accounts had been closed and I had to pay cash.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, southerngoose said:

@Host Jazzbeau   Curious, what were examples of how the fund helps the crew?   I haven't been on the ship yet so I haven't received the pitch but am quite curious!

There was quite a list and I wasn't taking notes!  I remember musical instruments.  I think there were some shore excursions (not clear if that meant they were paid to join passenger excursions or whether these were separate).  Parties.  All things that the ship wouldn't provide as part of the employment relationship but that make life more enjoyable.

• Thanks 1

It seems that the crew welfare fund is purely for crew enjoyment, not that I think they don’t deserve it. But it isn’t cash in their pockets. 

19 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

It seems that the crew welfare fund is purely for crew enjoyment, not that I think they don’t deserve it. But it isn’t cash in their pockets. 

The benefits of the Crew Welfare Fund extend to all crew, even those whose hands you don't see to stuff bills into.  Much fairer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

But it does extend to extra help for example a family emergency and a crew member needs to depart the ship. SS pays the fare but the crew fund does supply some help for when on the way home and at home. This was first hand from a waiter that received this sort of help.

Edited by drron29
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, drron29 said:

But it does extend to extra help for example a family emergency and a crew member needs to depart the ship. SS pays the fare but the crew fund does supply some help for when on the way home and at home. This was first hand from a waiter that received this sort of help.

Good to know.

15 hours ago, toseaornottosea said:

Crew welfare fund is a good place to park any unused OBC.

I am fairly certain that this is not possible. Contributions to the crew welfare fund are put on a different invoice from the invoice on which most expenditures (which can be paid with OBCs) are placed.  Contributing to the crew welfare fund, which I do on every cruise, is treated like getting a cash advance. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, toseaornottosea said:

Crew welfare fund is a good place to park any unused OBC.

1 hour ago, Observer said:

I am fairly certain that this is not possible. Contributions to the crew welfare fund are put on a different invoice from the invoice on which most expenditures (which can be paid with OBCs) are placed.  Contributing to the crew welfare fund, which I do on every cruise, is treated like getting a cash advance. 

I think that you are both correct (in a way).

I've been told that there are two forms of OBC - refundable and non-refundable. The first can be applied to the crew fund and the second cannot.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I think that you are both correct (in a way).

I've been told that there are two forms of OBC - refundable and non-refundable. The first can be applied to the crew fund and the second cannot.

This makes sense.  I am aware that there are some (fairly rare?) refundable OBCs.  However, in my hundreds of days of cruising with Silversea I have never enjoyed the refundable kind. Nonetheless, I have never had a problem exhausting my nonrefundable OBCs.  :)-

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Observer said:

I am aware that there are some (fairly rare?) refundable OBCs.  However, in my hundreds of days of cruising with Silversea I have never enjoyed the refundable kind. Nonetheless, I have never had a problem exhausting my nonrefundable OBCs.  :)-

I know that the AMEX (Platinum Cruise Privileges) OBC is non-refundable. I am pretty sure I've had some of the refundable type from a TA here and there, but it definitely went towards wine and not back into my wallet.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I know that the AMEX (Platinum Cruise Privileges) OBC is non-refundable. I am pretty sure I've had some of the refundable type from a TA here and there, but it definitely went towards wine and not back into my wallet.

Just like when you don't want to waste an over-large portion, so you waist it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Just like when you don't want to waste an over-large portion, so you waist it?

I also just work as a detour on it's way to the toilet bowl.

On 2/29/2024 at 2:19 PM, SLC0606 said:

Do people tip on Silversea?  I’ve heard that it’s not encouraged, but in the past, we’ve often tipped some people who went above and beyond to make our trip enjoyable.  This is our first time on Silversea.

Gratuities are already included in your cruise fare.  Nevertheless, some posters here report that they do tip additional amounts (or donate to the crew welfare fund).  However, many others do not.  And either approach is perfectly fine.  Tipping is neither required, nor expected.  If you have not yet experienced a luxury cruise line (such as Silversea, Seabourn or Regent), you may be pleasantly surprised to find that most of the crew go "above and beyond" to make your trip enjoyable.

Enjoy your cruise!

I think this links to anywhere you are in the world and they ask - "are you American" and you say "no - I'm from (UK in our case) and they sigh and don't bother to put their hand out 😜😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/29/2024 at 11:19 AM, SLC0606 said:

From a conversation 22 years ago on first SS cruise when I asked this question to a couple veteran sailors.   The response was to leave something for the crew fund.  Do not tip individuals.   For many reasons, makes total sense to me.  At the time, I believe most passengers subscribed to this policy.   Times and especially passengers have changed......unfortunately.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 5:55 AM, saminina said:

From a conversation 22 years ago on first SS cruise when I asked this question to a couple veteran sailors.   The response was to leave something for the crew fund.  Do not tip individuals.   For many reasons, makes total sense to me.  At the time, I believe most passengers subscribed to this policy.   Times and especially passengers have changed......unfortunately.

Only for some and not those in the know.