Could you give up cruising.....?

I am a destination cruiser so saving up for that special cruise is my default. The ship experience is nice but for me it doesn't beat an interesting destination so I prefer cruising once in a while if it means affording a cruise that will give me something more than a general ship experience. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I am a destination cruiser so saving up for that special cruise is my default. The ship experience is nice but for me it doesn't beat an interesting destination so I prefer cruising once in a while if it means affording a cruise that will give me something more than a general ship experience. 

Absolutely. A few years ago we did a land/ship trip. We started in Buenos Aires, then Argentinian and Chilean Patagonia. Then moved onto a 400 passenger cruise ship to Antarctic and after that the Falklands ending in Santiago, Chile. For us anyway, it cost a lot but the destination(s) is IT for us.

OP, I took your title to mean "give up entirely/forever, kicking the habit".  Could I do that?  Maybe, as I'm sure there are things I could give up if my doctor said I absolutely had to, for example.

But why would I?  It seems that many posters base their answers on cost.  For us, cruising is one of the few things we spend money on, and actually, it is not a lot.  We have no interest in booking the newest, biggest ship, nor in a suite or balcony.  We love the older ships, and an OV cabin. 
When I compare the prices of rail trips, hotels. resorts, beach condos, we always come out ahead.  We scrimped and saved all our working years; we are now enjoying the benefits of those efforts.  So we will keep cruising as long as we enjoy it as much as we do now.

I don't fancy spending a huge amount on a special cruise because there are no guarantees.  You do not know that the ship will make a port or what the weather will be.  Too much like putting all your eggs in one basket.  Rather we like planning nice trips/cruises with several options in case something happens.  Whenever someone says trip of a lifetime, I start to worry because stuff happens and Murphy's law seems to rule.  🙂

42 minutes ago, George C said:

I would rather do one great than two mediocre cruises. 

This is true for me too, though I'm sure what I call "great" on our upcoming cruise you'll call "mediocre" or worse. It's all good, of course. 😀