AMA Waterways Dress Up Night

It looks like AMA Waterways cruises have a dress up night.  Do the majority of people dress up on this night?

Just came back from a Celebrity cruise where very few people dressed up...

I think you are referring to the Captain's Dinner.

We've done 3 cruises on Ama. The last one was the 2 week (B2B) Grand Danube on AmaMagna.

I don't recall the first cruise, but on AmaMagna, Here's what I posted in my review thread about dress. Also note, the first week we only had 59 passengers the first week and 107 the second week.

"I think the average age on the first week was lower than the second week, and this seemed to be reflected in dress as well. We are both 54, and I think we were right in the middle the first week. The second week, I think we were on the lower side. ...The first week for the Captain's dinner, I put on my sport coat and tie, and I think I was one of three sport coats, and maybe the only tie. Seemed like what I've seen in recent years on Royal Caribbean for "Formal" night. Anything goes (ok, not that bad), but some people like to dress up. Next week, just my designated dress shirt, and I was probably in the minority."

• Like 1

I don't recall wearing a tie on any of our four AMA cruises (or packing one after the first).  I always bring a sport coat because dining rooms are often cold, and if I'm not cold I can put it on the back of the chair.  But I never feel compelled to.  If you do 'country club casual' you will always be acceptable; 'elegant casual' is the most you would need even for the Captain's Dinner.

Edited to add:  I realize those terms may need translation.  To me, 'country club casual' means a golf shirt (usually long sleeve for dinner) and tailored slacks (or nice chinos, but I don't own those).  'Elegant casual' means a dress shirt and tailored slacks, possibly a sport coat.

• Like 2

Sharp, crisp, buffed & polished and maybe gentlemen a rather pleasant cologne. Ladies a nice scarf or wrap maybe a little touch of bling and of course a slight aura of perfume. I take mix and match so not a lot of clothes. We’ve never been advised on what not to talk about or what to talk about. You’ll soon realise if your dinning companions are willing to converse some aren't and some can be very shy. You will soon make new acquaintances from all over the globe relax and enjoy.

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

Sharp, crisp, buffed & polished and maybe gentlemen a rather pleasant cologne. Ladies a nice scarf or wrap maybe a little touch of bling and of course a slight aura of perfume.

Sorry. Some of us would be happier if everyone left the cologne or perfume behind, even if used sparingly. 

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Sorry. Some of us would be happier if everyone left the cologne or perfume behind, even if used sparingly. 

The crew will be wearing enough cologne to perfume the whole ship!  No need for passengers to add more.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The crew will be wearing enough cologne to perfume the whole ship!  No need for passengers to add more.

I cant confirm that, and my mother is REALLY sensitive about perfumes and the like.

We have had to ask them not to use febreeze or similar in the cabin though.

Ohh dear now there’s a pickle barrel of thoughts. Maybe it’s the quality of the fragrance, it should not be intrusive just a slight tickle of the olfactory nerves. Who wants to spend a small fortune on an aroma if one is upsetting others and how on earth do you know. An expert once said it’s not what you smell it’s how you smell! Think about it!

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Ohh dear now there’s a pickle barrel of thoughts. Maybe it’s the quality of the fragrance, it should not be intrusive just a slight tickle of the olfactory nerves. Who wants to spend a small fortune on an aroma if one is upsetting others and how on earth do you know. An expert once said it’s not what you smell it’s how you smell! Think about it!

Sorry, your tickle is my unpleasant. That is why many venues like theatres and concert halls ask you to go scent free.

Edited by gnome12
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I agree. As someone who has an allergy to scents, I would be getting up and leaving the table if someone sat down near me with cologne or perfume. I don't carry an Eppipen, because normally I can leave the area, and I avoid stores that have the perfume counters at the entrance. I notice most around here (and even when we go up to the city) don't wear scents anymore, probably because most doctors/dentists and several other places have strong warnings not to wear them anymore.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I agree 100%. I don't want to spend a meal with people ponging of scent. A shower before dinner will do.

Edited by pontac

getting back to dress codes - we were on Scenic but I imagine most Europe  river cruises have similar expectations.

For the gala dinners I wore smart black pants and a blingy top, ( any dressy blouse above the level of t-shirt would do)  husband wore men's smart pants and a collared smart shirt. Some men wore polo shirts

A few men wore ties but they were in minority  -  perhaps 1/4 of total men. Nobody wore suits.

It was warm weather so some ladies wore dresses.

Not ball room gown formal dresses but the semi-casual sort you might wear out to a restarant dinner

• Thanks 2