Norwegian entertainment

2 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

So when I heard that Donna was no longer available I overreacted.

You didn’t overact if when you made your final payment The Donna Summer Show was part of the entertainment lineup you were expecting based on the fare you paid.  Disappointment, perhaps anger and questioning your purchase decision happens after final payment when NCL modifies your expected entertainment and subsequently your value proposition.  You are entitled to your feelings regardless what anyone on CC thinks.

that said, Prima is a nice new ship to discover. Wishing you an amazing cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

ok, thanks uk, but i think george was always the better known of the 2

and laudergayle. you'd have to be living under a rock, a deep cave, another planet, or be a complete (or incomplete) hermit to not know about ms swift. the one and only song i know from her enormous volume of music, is when she is sitting in the bleachers pining for he boy who is hot for the cheerleader, but she feels she's a much matter match

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

ok, thanks uk, but i think george was always the better known of the 2

and laudergayle. you'd have to be living under a rock, a deep cave, another planet, or be a complete (or incomplete) hermit to not know about ms swift. the one and only song i know from her enormous volume of music, is when she is sitting in the bleachers pining for he boy who is hot for the cheerleader, but she feels she's a much matter match

Lol.  Perhaps.  What’s funny.  I said to DH before Donna Summer that I really didn’t know sny Donna Summer songs.  And then, after the performance, I was like yeah…I knew most of those songs.  I also can say I don’t know alot of Taylor songs…but I bet if I saw her show I would probably know her songs.  

3 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

I said to DH before Donna Summer that I really didn’t know sny Donna Summer songs.  And then, after the performance, I was like yeah…I knew most of those songs.

That happened to me with the Rumours show on the Escape.  I walked in knowing some Fleetwood Mac songs but not confident I could recognize songs from the album, I ended up singing along with most of them.

• Like 2

Just now, hallux said:

That happened to me with the Rumours show on the Escape.  I walked in knowing some Fleetwood Mac songs but not confident I could recognize songs from the album, I ended up singing along with most of them.

I did that to a Who concert in the late 80’s.  I told my now DH that beyond Pinball Wizard I really didn’t know a lot Who.  Well…excuse moi…I sang to every song!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

You most certainly can.  I see you are from Monticello.  We went to different bungalow colonies and Hotels in the Catskills in the 50s and 60s.  Best times.

Lots and lots of people summered in the Catskills back in the day. At trivia last summer on the Prima we paired with a couple who lived in Arizona now, but back in the day spent their summers in the Catskills.

Funny story--we were on a land trip actually and were in Prague in a museum. And I kept seeing a young lady at a distance who was wearing what was either an original or more likely retro tee-shirt from the Woodstock festival. It read Woodstock Aquarian Festival in White Lake, NY. When it was a few minutes before closing, the staff hurried everyone out, and we came near to her. I said, "I attended that festival, and we live about 10 miles from White Lake, NY." I really did get a funny look from her. 😊

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, laudergayle said:

I did that to a Who concert in the late 80’s.  I told my now DH that beyond Pinball Wizard I really didn’t know a lot Who.  Well…excuse moi…I sang to every song!!

My first real concert and favorite band! 

The Who - September, 1979 @ MSG

Edited by bkrickles1
  • Like 2

First concert of a MAJOR BAND, believe it or not, was Fleetwood Mac, in support of the TUSK album.  They played it in its entirety.  Took an intermission.  Came back and played RUMORS is its entirety.  And came back for an encore of OH WELL.

Great concert.  Didn't know how significant it was at the time, though.

I was a Black Sabbath guy.  But, the GF loved Fleetwood Mac.  So, of course, I became a fan of Fleetwood Mac.  Funny, I don't recall her becoming a fan of Sabbath...EVER! 😉

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I was a Black Sabbath guy.

Yes!!!  Although some try to throw me out of the club when I declare that the Dio/H&H lineup was my favorite.  Saw that lineup perform at the Hartford Civic Center, front row - awesome show.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

First concert of a MAJOR BAND, believe it or not, was Fleetwood Mac, in support of the TUSK album.  They played it in its entirety.  Took an intermission.  Came back and played RUMORS is its entirety.  And came back for an encore of OH WELL.

Great concert.  Didn't know how significant it was at the time, though.

I was a Black Sabbath guy.  But, the GF loved Fleetwood Mac.  So, of course, I became a fan of Fleetwood Mac.  Funny, I don't recall her becoming a fan of Sabbath...EVER! 😉

I would have loved that! 

While the Who was my first concert of a major band, Fleetwood Mac Rumours was the first album that I purchased in 1977.

I remember buying Tusk too. Good but bloated album! Lol 😂 

I've seen them at least a half dozen times over the years, along with Stevie solo many times. Just recently too! 

I'm kind of a live music nut. While many on here have been on an incredible amount of cruises, I can confidently say that I've been to more concerts than probably anyone on here. Lol 😂 😂 

Sailing Getaway in 36 days and Syd's, with the Rumours show, is something I'm really looking forward to. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Yes!!!  Although some try to throw me out of the club when I declare that the Dio/H&H lineup was my favorite.  Saw that lineup perform at the Hartford Civic Center, front row - awesome show.

Ronnie James.....;)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

I would have loved that! 

While the Who was my first concert of a major band, Fleetwood Mac Rumours was the first album that I purchased in 1977.

I remember buying Tusk too. Good but bloated album! Lol 😂 

I've seen them at least a half dozen times over the years, along with Stevie solo many times. Just recently too! 

I'm kind of a live music nut. While many on here have been on an incredible amount of cruises, I can confidently say that I've been to more concerts than probably anyone on here. Lol 😂 😂 

Sailing Getaway in 36 days and Syd's, with the Rumours show, is something I'm really looking forward to. 

Talk about over indulgent, they were backed by my school's marching band (Miami U).  I think on the Tusk album, they were backed by, I think, USC's marching band?  Maybe?

I know it was a big deal because Fleetwood Mac donated a sizable amount of change to our marching band's budget to perform one song in their set.

Only saw them that one time.  But, I guess if you're only going to see them once, that was the time to see them.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Lots and lots of people summered in the Catskills back in the day. At trivia last summer on the Prima we paired with a couple who lived in Arizona now, but back in the day spent their summers in the Catskills.

Funny story--we were on a land trip actually and were in Prague in a museum. And I kept seeing a young lady at a distance who was wearing what was either an original or more likely retro tee-shirt from the Woodstock festival. It read Woodstock Aquarian Festival in White Lake, NY. When it was a few minutes before closing, the staff hurried everyone out, and we came near to her. I said, "I attended that festival, and we live about 10 miles from White Lake, NY." I really did get a funny look from her. 😊

Ok....native NY'er (with a few years spent everywhere but here) and you confused the royal you know what out of me! My White Lake, NY is up in the Adirondacks! I used to work at a camp (no longer) there and also spent many a day passing through White Lake on my way to hiking and canoeing trips deeper in the ADK. I never knew there was another White Lake! 

image.png.5f27727d800eb1e9b43e6774590c2582.png

@laudergayle, @zqvol and I are buddies too! I especially love when told to go cruise elsewhere...I'm like, welp Z's got a point, but I'm sticking with my NCL (for now)! We have a 😆 relationship too. Hehe

And, @complawyer, "You Belong With Me" is the first Taylor song that I truly appreciated (it's the one with the QB and cheerleader you referred to). Now, all her music is great. I'm not even slightly embarrassed to say my husband and I spent three hours watching her concert on a random Saturday afternoon! I'm a little sad I can't join the current 76'er club...but G-d willing I'll get there in a few decades! 

• Haha 1

On 3/2/2024 at 8:15 PM, living at the beach said:

Really unhappy with the loss of quality Broadway shows replaced by game shows 

I am not a gambler so evening shows are important to me. I can deal with some losses in food offerings but the cancellation of premium entertainment on NCL has made me for the first time in decades check out other cruise lines. I am Sapphire on NCL- just means I have chosen Norwegian over others lots and lots of times. Probably isn’t an issue for those who gamble, but I don’t so the shows mean a lot to me 

Yes this

While we don't go to many shows etc, the ones we do choose were those. Not game shows. I gather NCL may find that audience participation was a touchstone for some cruisers.

We don't gamble either--just not our thing. Though a good game of duplicate bridge, I am in  (and often 20 yrs younger than the rest at the game)

We are getting ready for a TA on Prima and I am wondering besides reading, if I need to bring Uno cards because there is no entertainment onboard! ha

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Ok....native NY'er (with a few years spent everywhere but here) and you confused the royal you know what out of me! My White Lake, NY is up in the Adirondacks! I used to work at a camp (no longer) there and also spent many a day passing through White Lake on my way to hiking and canoeing trips deeper in the ADK. I never knew there was another White Lake! 

image.png.5f27727d800eb1e9b43e6774590c2582.png

@laudergayle, @zqvol and I are buddies too! I especially love when told to go cruise elsewhere...I'm like, welp Z's got a point, but I'm sticking with my NCL (for now)! We have a 😆 relationship too. Hehe

And, @complawyer, "You Belong With Me" is the first Taylor song that I truly appreciated (it's the one with the QB and cheerleader you referred to). Now, all her music is great. I'm not even slightly embarrassed to say my husband and I spent three hours watching her concert on a random Saturday afternoon! I'm a little sad I can't join the current 76'er club...but G-d willing I'll get there in a few decades! 

White Lake, NY is a village within the township of Bethel. Just past White Lake going south on NY route 17B. it is still the town of Bethel, and that is where the Woodstock festival was in 1969.

White Lake, Sullivan County, New York - Wikipedia

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

My first major concert was in 1965, Bob Dylan alone acoustic in the first set and electric with the group of musicians who would someday be known as the Band in the second set.

I first saw the Who at the Woodstock festival. They followed Sly and the Family Stone and preceded the Jefferson Airplane.

I have never seen Fleetwood Mac in concert, though I have seen Stevie Nicks in concert at Bethel Woods, the former site of the Woodstock concert. (And that was with a hurricane on its way!)

Edited by ontheweb
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

My first major concert was in 1965, Bob Dylan alone acoustic in the first set and electric with the group of musicians who would someday be known as the Band in the second set.

I first saw the Who at the Woodstock festival. They followed Sly and the Family Stone and preceded the Jefferson Airplane.

I have never seen Fleetwood Mac in concert, though I have seen Stevie Nicks in concert at Bethel Woods, the former site of the Woodstock concert. (And that was with a hurricane on its way!)

I was a bit too young (not by much) for Woodstock.  I did own the albums and could sing along.

My Woodstock-esq festival was in 2016 in Indio, CA…which is the site of the annual Coachella.  Our 3-day event was called Desert Trip but was known as Oldchella. 🤣

The 3-day event featured Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones, Neil Young, The Who, Paul McCartney and Roger Waters.  It was crazy seeing these old rockers still playing and jumping around the stage…especially Mick Jagger.

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Nice.

This was in the late '80s, early '90s.  Being a "funk" fan at one point (my protest against disco was to be a funk fan), and having the Ohio Players, Zapp Band, Bootsy Collins Rubber Band, all being local,  they'd show up at the clubs around Cincinnati and Dayton all the time...driving distance for me.  

There was a venue around University of Cincinnati who specialized in local groups (Bogarts).  Anyway, Bootsy Collins was playing there one Saturday night with his band.  After about 30 minutes of his set, he introduced Sly and the Family Stone.  Now, this was well after the much documented Sly Stone not showing up to his own band's gigs.  But, here he was on stage.  They only played for about a half hour.  He was obviously on something as he only sang like every 3rd note and his keyboard playing was....well....interesting, as the rest of the band tried to cover up.

But, I did indeed see them.

I know we can all tell concert stories, but I'll share just one other one.  Two weekends after the Sly concert, it was rumored that Prince was going to play at the same venue.  The venue only holds about 1,200-1,500 people.  So, I didn't lend much credence to the "rumor".  My circle of friends said they were going to see if it was true.  I took a pass.  Sure enough, Prince showed up.  it was a "tune up"-dress rehearsal for his Purple Rain Tour.  

I missed it.

I don't know how this evolved into first concert..but here I go.  My first concert was Elton John a the Hollywood bowl in 1976 ( I think) or 1974.  I wasn't old enough to drive, so I have to tag along with my brother and his friends.  They were not to happy to have a " baby" in the mix, but I didn't care.  Someone mentioned their first album.  Mine was The Devine Miss M, Bette Midler.  She sure put on a great show when she was in her prime.

• Like 1

So originally being from Brooklyn the only concerts we could afford to go to was Murray the Ks Christmas concert at the Brooklyn Fox.  After college and working in Manhattan I went to Madison Square Garden to see the first Rock and Roll revival with the introduction of Sha-Na-Na.  There were many doo- wop groups that were old men then.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

My first major concert was in 1965, Bob Dylan...

mr. zimmerman was also my first concert!

ten years later, though... rolling thunder tour.

just to get this thread back on track... NCL should make dylan the godfather of the aqua.

don't worry, i'll take @cruiseny4life aside and explain who bob dylan is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

certainly, not one one my first concerts, but in the mid 70's i took my wife to a dylan concert. shortly after the show began, i tuned around and she was sound asleep.

a few years later when the Mac album Tusk was on top of the charts, she insisted we go to the Fleetwood Mac concert. I couldnt imagine why, as she was certainly not a fan (neither was i for that matter) any way, they start to play Tusk, the entire USC marching band comes down the aisle in full regalia, people are screaming, yelling, the USC band an Fleetwood Mac are playing at major decibels, and i look over, and there she is, once again, sound asleep.. go figure.

and cruisey, thank you i would have never remembered the song title, and to show the age difference, my grandson and his girlfriend (24 and 22 respectively) saw the taylor swift concert year in Los Angeles they loved it.  My wife and I last july saw the yearly "happy together tour" if i need to explain what or who performed, you probably wouldnt understand (lol) the youngest act's last hit was about 50 years ago. 

Oh! for the days of Dion and the Belmonts or Neil Sedaka, who just turned 85 yesterday. God am I getting old.

DOO WOOP still rules!!!! (LOL)

• Like 2