Best room for 3 people

I'm going on a cruise with my parents and i don't want one of those pull down beds and it seems like that is what most cruise lines have. Does anyone know of any cruise line that has sofa beds? I know princess has deluxe balconies on some ships but not all of them.

10 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I'm going on a cruise with my parents and i don't want one of those pull down beds and it seems like that is what most cruise lines have. Does anyone know of any cruise line that has sofa beds? I know princess has deluxe balconies on some ships but not all of them.

I think you'd need to look at each ship, and not "which cruise line has sofa beds".

Which exact cabins have which bed types will vary a lot, and possibly on a single ship.

It's not likely to be "cruise-line specific".

The Deck Plans should indicate which specific beds are in each cabin or suite.  And then CONFIRM when you make reservations, as there may have been changes, especially if there was a major dry dock recently.

GC

Most inside cabins and many ocean view have pulldown bunks.  But in balcony cabins some are a couch and some bunks.  What kind of cabin do your parents usually book, and what cruise lines?  
How much input are you going to have on cruise line/ship/cabin choice?  EM

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

My parents want to go on a pacific coastal or canada new england on princess or holland america. It looks like you need a suite on both to get the pull out couch.

As alternatives, RCCL and Celebrity, as two examples, have sofa beds in many of their standard staterooms. Many also have the drop down upper berths.  IMO, however, the upper berths are more comfortable.  Again, JMO.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

48 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

My parents want to go on a pacific coastal or canada new england on princess or holland america. It looks like you need a suite on both to get the pull out couch.

I've slept on a sofa bed on Holland America in a balcony cabin. I've also slept twice (RCI and Princess) in cabins where the 3rd berth was an upper berth - but both times, I removed the mattress and lay it on the floor. Very comfortable, actually.  

14 hours ago, latebuyer said:

I’ve sailed on a number of HAL ships (balcony) and they have all had sofa beds, plus a few Celebrity ships as well.

I loathe 3+ people in rooms and pulldown beds. Unfortunately, I did just that on an older Royal Caribbean ship. The pulldown is worst when you're up there and are up earlier and/or have to use the bathroom. It's so much noise. 

On my previous Carnival cruises, the couch flipped over into a bed. This was vastly supervisor.

I would price out the cost of having the third person get their own inside cabin. Sometimes it won’t be much more than the cost of putting three in a balcony, especially if you are thinking of upgrading the balcony to get more room. Having your own bed (and bathroom!) is so much nicer. Of course, it might be a lot more expensive, but it’s at least worth checking. 

20 hours ago, latebuyer said:

The Vista Suite on HAL's Volendam or Zaandam is a wonderful cabin for three. The sofa flips to make the third bed so no cross-bars in your back or knees. The stewards make up the sofa every morning for use as a "living room", and change it back while you are at dinner.

There are three banks of three drawers each and four closets in all (one has shelves and the safe I believe). While this is a "suite", it is also the lowest category on these ships that has a balcony.