Total Nonsense on the Nova - what are they thinking??

caviargal

32 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

I've cruised Celebrity for many years and for the past twelve months or so, every after-cruise survey has included something to the effect:  "Which of these cruise lines are part of the Royal Caribbean Group?"  Same question on the after-cruise survey I completed just a few minutes ago.  Ditto on a couple of Celebrity marketing surveys, too.  Evidently not enough people know SS is part of the Royal Caribbean Group.  I was disappointed but unsurprised to read that SS is doing the 3-ship photo op with such insensitivity to the disruption it causes their customers.  My take is that RCG (Jason Liberty = bean-counter central) is calling ALL the shots for all three lines.  I doubt it's coincidental that Celebrity no longer has a CEO, but a President.  Celebrity has made equally bone-headed management moves since early 2023.  That was why I decided to widen my horizons to SS (and RSSC & Oceania).  Since it looks like RCG wants to Royalize all three of their lines, maybe SS won't be a good fit for me, but I'm going to give it two tries. 

And Barbara Muckermann as well is no longer CEO of SS but President.

https://www.royalcaribbeangroup.com/bio/barbara-muckermann/

And by the way today she sent me an email with the warmest personal regards inviting us to cruise with her on the Nova voyage from Tokyo to Singapore in October this year for the Venetian Reunion cruise.

Not interested.

• Like 6

I just saw this mentioned on a youtube video tonight and I'm sure there will be more picking it up.  Whoever made this decision has no idea what customer service should be.  Personally, I'd simply not turn up on deck for their photo shoot to show them just how I feel about their suggestion.  They want you to turn up on deck to suit their photo shoot for their convenience, and wave and act happy about the way they are treating paying passengers who they are inconveniencing and leaving in the lurch  How can they not think it's a bad idea?   What if you can't make new arrangements, find a hotel room, get a later train or flight?  Who decides a reasonable amount of compensation?  SS of course.   This is an absolute disgraceful way to treat paying customers and a definite turnoff for any future bookings.  After years with other cruise lines, we thought we should have a change.  We've never done SS  before, so booked our first for this May but may not be making another if this is the way a so-called luxury line treat their clientele.   They need to seriously rethink this before it explodes all over the media.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joanzzzz said:

They need to seriously rethink this before it explodes all over the media.  

Undoing it now would create even more mayhem. The rethink should involve the compensation offered to guests.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

... Royalize all three of their lines, maybe SS won't be a good fit for me, but I'm going to give it two tries. 

You know our history, and why we made the X to SS switch.  **At least for the moment**, we find SS a better overall experience.  I think you'll enjoy it.

As for the fiasco in question, if all of the SS pax on deck for the photo shoot would channel their inner Carnival instincts for a few minutes and flip the bird to the drone taking the video...  🤣

Edited by canderson
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, canderson said:

As for the fiasco in question, if all of the SS pax on deck for the photo shoot would channel their inner Carnival instincts for a few minutes and flip the bird to the drone taking the video...  🤣

I'm sure they're already planning to use AI to replace all the real passengers with the overdressed models that feature in all cruise line catalogs.  They should actually bar passengers from being on deck, to make Al's life easier...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm sure they're already planning to use AI to replace all the real passengers with the overdressed models that feature in all cruise line catalogs.  They should actually bar passengers from being on deck, to make Al's life easier...

Better still ….. confine everyone to quarters! Don’t want those pesky esteemed guests spoiling things….. though each balcony donning a banner draped over the side saying “Last Silversea Cruise ever - beep your photoshoot”, might be photoshopped out - but at least the contempt is returned.

If I was on the Nova at the moment I would be torn between staying in my cabin or going outside with a big sign saying never again RCL and SS. Maybe something a little ruder.

And I would insist if we were arriving in Fort Lauderdale at 1100 i would stay in my cabin at least until 1230.

Posted (edited)

The nerve of all the nincompoops at RCL! 

Firstly, what Silversea customers give a hoot about Celebrity and RCL? And then RCL take their luxury Silversea cruise line passengers, their loyal, longer cruise and highest pay-per-day passengers for a ride, literally so.

How stupid is that?! This story is only going one way. Down. And all that appalling but free press,

… which leads me to ask if this is a generational thing. No one ie NO ONE in the Silversea demographic needs this nonsense. Was this ultimately a groupthink decision to aggravate guests for some childish, selfish, stupid and ultimately costly marketing event? If so, you get full marks in the race to the bottom for the 2024 Industry Awards contest for destroying brand value.

Over to you, RCL.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Edited by markham
  • Like 5

On 3/9/2024 at 9:30 AM, FlyerTalker said:

I confess....I have never understood the overwhelming appeal of "free laundry".  And how many hundreds of thousands of dollars were spent to achieve this "perk".

Just my two kopeks.

Regent has amazing laundry service and we do love it,  but don't decide based on it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markham said:

Firstly, what Silversea customers give a hoot about Celebrity and RCL? And then RCL take their luxury Silversea cruise line passengers, their loyal, longer cruise and highest pay-per-day passengers for a ride, literally so.

How stupid is that?! This story is only going one way. Down. And all that appalling but free press,

… which leads me to ask if this is a generational thing. No one ie NO ONE in the Silversea demographic needs this nonsense. Was this ultimately a groupthink decision to aggravate guests for some childish, selfish, stupid and ultimately costly marketing event? If so, you get full marks in the race to the bottom for the 2024 Industry Awards contest for destroying brand value.

Over to you, RCL.

I think it is ! Some insta crazy millennial at RCI thought this would be cool.

We received notice that we must vacate suites by 9 and and first off is 12:45.  How's that for luxury and customer service?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, drron29 said:

If I was on the Nova at the moment I would be torn between staying in my cabin or going outside with a big sign saying never again RCL and SS. Maybe something a little ruder.

And I would insist if we were arriving in Fort Lauderdale at 1100 i would stay in my cabin at least until 1230.

We have to vacate at 9am.

No apology and certainly SS is doing NONE of things Forbes recommends.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, markham said:

Over to you, RCL.

I wouldn't count on outrage making a huge difference.  The CEO of Royal Caribbean Group, Jason Liberty, moved to that position from the CFO side of the house, not hospitality.  His emphasis is and will always be on the earnings/shareholder side of things.  As a stockholder, I'm pleased; as a passenger, not so much.  Love him or hate him, he's the golden boy of the cruise industry which is why he was named chairman of CLIA in January.  My guess is they'll use the photo op to try to rein-in some of the pax who are bailing on overpriced Celebrity suites.  I'm one of them.  As a solo, 18-night 2025 Silver Moon Panama Canal transit was $6650 less for me than a 16-night Summit sky suite.  For two people, SS is still $3400 less than X.  I guess I'm making Jason happy by staying within the Royal family for this cruise. I also think he knows SS has heavy competition.  

• Like 1

Today is 10 March 2024.

Lets pretend its same date in 2014.

Now compare the Silversea experience on the earlier date with the later one. 

Other than the name most unique features of the line have changed. It's now a mass-market cash cow pretending to be exclusive. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just checked the weather. First time I’m disappointed that it’s sunny and clear. I for one was hoping for down pouring rain. Yes, I’m on the GV on the Nova. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, caviargal said:

I think it is ! Some insta crazy millennial at RCI thought this would be cool.

We received notice that we must vacate suites by 9 and and first off is 12:45.  How's that for luxury and customer service?

I think you are right. How does management approve something like this?

Can’t wait to see the memes on this “photo opp.”

So they gave you an hour extra in the cabin and you have to hang around the ship for almost 4 hours? Yikes, talk about adding insult to injury. Unfortunately the ones that will suffer with this are the crew.

What a poor business decision. And SS’s silence is just making it worse. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drkitkat123 said:

what happens if you don't check your emails on vacation?

You've missed your flight home..... "what's all the fuss about". Actually we were subjected to one of these "esteemed guests" letters 10 months ago, which was sent on the day of boarding (to our TA who I had to chase for the news) telling us our Alaskan train ride was cancelled "due to logistics", but travelling on the coach, you will arrive in Ackorage sooner. Well we didn't because they messed that up to. We missed 3 ports and excursions and the highlight of the cruise..... Yup..... money saved by SS and kept. 

CaviarGal, I would disregard the notice to depart your rooms by 7am.  That is total horse manure after what management has put the passengers through. Obviously they are trying desperately to make sure the incoming group has their cabins ready as soon as possible after they board the ship. Their boarding may be delayed a bit but I would bet money that they will do everything to ensure this next group is happy happy with SS and barely inconvenienced.  I am so sorry you have been put through this nonsense.  We just had a great voyage on the Dawn last month after a less than stellar trip on the Spirit in October.  Unfortunately, we have booked a cruise with two other couples in 2025 and now I am sorry we did that.  

• Like 1

SS needs more exposure within the RCI group.  Not a bad decision, if they properly invest to compensate affected passengers.   A minor expenditure missed in the process.   Our 2025 scheduled cruise was cancelled yesterday.  No loss as we come out even cashing in milestone award for two week Endeavor trip.

2 minutes ago, saminina said:

SS needs more exposure within the RCI group.  Not a bad decision, if they properly invest to compensate affected passengers.   A minor expenditure missed in the process.   Our 2025 scheduled cruise was cancelled yesterday.  No loss as we come out even cashing in milestone award for two week Endeavor trip.

to me, it's not the money if there is adequate compensation, which I am sure there will be. it is the hassle and time spent trying to change arrangements when supposedly relaxing on vacation

• Like 4

1 hour ago, saminina said:

Sure, why not inconvenience a few hundred paying customers for a photo op?  Sound like a real classy thing to do.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, CruiserPK said:

CaviarGal, I would disregard the notice to depart your rooms by 7am.  That is total horse manure after what management has put the passengers through. Obviously they are trying desperately to make sure the incoming group has their cabins ready as soon as possible after they board the ship. Their boarding may be delayed a bit but I would bet money that they will do everything to ensure this next group is happy happy with SS and barely inconvenienced.  I am so sorry you have been put through this nonsense.  We just had a great voyage on the Dawn last month after a less than stellar trip on the Spirit in October.  Unfortunately, we have booked a cruise with two other couples in 2025 and now I am sorry we did that.  

I intend to do just that. Adding insult to injury with that request.    I am sending a polite note to the captain and CD today asking them please not to make announcements at 6am reminding guests of this "rare opportunity" .  I expect and hope most aboard will ignore this completely, unless the noise made by the debacle wakes everyone up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, caviargal said:

I intend to do just that. Adding insult to injury with that request.    I am sending a polite note to the captain and CD today asking them please not to make announcements at 6am reminding guests of this "rare opportunity" .  I expect and hope most aboard will ignore this completely, unless the noise made by the debacle wakes everyone up.

Surely announcements wouldn’t be made into the cabins?  That would be really bad form!

Although I certainly agree you should be able to remain in your cabins until well after 9:00am (11:00am seems appropriate), it is the cabin stewards who are going to suffer.  They still have to prepare all the suites for incoming guests no matter the reason.  Such a wrong decision on many fronts!

• Like 3