This doesn't seem fair!!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, calicakes said:

The first words out of my mouth after screaming in pain were " We can't go to Australia". My wife said " Oh, they'll just pop it back into place".

At least she didn't say, what do you mean by "we"?

Edited by mahdnc
  • Haha 8

19 minutes ago, DingoMom said:

@billc23, or anyone else: Great point; thanks. Can someone please tell me how to remove the second image?

There is an edit time limit but you can click Report under the three dots at the top right of the post it is attached to and ask for removal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/6/2024 at 5:39 PM, calicakes said:

I had to cancel our Great Barrier reef cruise 2 weeks before the cruise due to a broken ankle/tib/fib.  I do have travel insurance.  What doesn't seem fair is that Celebrity is going to keep our 10k and yet I don't get the Captain's Club points.  Why?  Because I didn't take the actual cruise.  That doesn't seem fair to me.  I would have reached Elite after this cruise.  

I have been following this saga with it's wide range of interesting views/comments/suggestions and offer the following summary:

You cancelled a cruise due to a medical issue and accepted that the cancellation charge would be 100% 

You will receive a full refund via a combination of a refund from X (taxes|) and your insurance.

Your travel agent fulfilled their obligation by making the booking and presumably handling the cancellation and are therefore entitled to their commission.

OBC as it's name suggests is for Onboard therefore as the booking was cancelled there is no OBC.

However if there was any possibility of the value being returned in cash then clearly this would be paid to the Insurance Company and not yourself as they are the ones who have now paid.

CC points are awarded at the end of each cruise but as you didn't sail no points are due.

We to have experienced a similar issue as I collapsed at home on the morning of departure and it was a "toss up" between which would arrive at the house first:  our taxi or the ambulance. The ambulance won by about 20 minutes.

We called the cruise line (Royal) and advised that I had just been taken to hospital and they refused to discuss any form of refund until the cruise had finished on the basis that I might join the ship later - not likely as it was a Transatlantic. Once the cruise had  ended Royal sent me an email confirming the full cost, the sum being refunded as fees and my insurance refunded the balance withing 7 days of me submitting the documents.

We also "lost" our Crown and Anchor points for the cruise which would have moved us to Diamond+

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, the penguins said:

I have been following this saga with it's wide range of interesting views/comments/suggestions and offer the following summary:

You cancelled a cruise due to a medical issue and accepted that the cancellation charge would be 100% 

You will receive a full refund via a combination of a refund from X (taxes|) and your insurance.

Your travel agent fulfilled their obligation by making the booking and presumably handling the cancellation and are therefore entitled to their commission.

OBC as it's name suggests is for Onboard therefore as the booking was cancelled there is no OBC.

However if there was any possibility of the value being returned in cash then clearly this would be paid to the Insurance Company and not yourself as they are the ones who have now paid.

CC points are awarded at the end of each cruise but as you didn't sail no points are due.

We to have experienced a similar issue as I collapsed at home on the morning of departure and it was a "toss up" between which would arrive at the house first:  our taxi or the ambulance. The ambulance won by about 20 minutes.

We called the cruise line (Royal) and advised that I had just been taken to hospital and they refused to discuss any form of refund until the cruise had finished on the basis that I might join the ship later - not likely as it was a Transatlantic. Once the cruise had  ended Royal sent me an email confirming the full cost, the sum being refunded as fees and my insurance refunded the balance withing 7 days of me submitting the documents.

We also "lost" our Crown and Anchor points for the cruise which would have moved us to Diamond+

Clear, succinct, respectful and to the point; well done!!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, calicakes said:

mine was also caused by dogs.  Slammed into from behind( while I was talking to another dog owner) at our local dog park. 

well, I guess it was sorta fun. I love talking and love dogs (and dog parks).... A rather small consolation, I am afraid.

Get better soon!

22 minutes ago, the penguins said:

BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted (edited)

@calicakes If you are a lawyer, you likely know that "fair" in law is usually used in comparing two situations that are resolved differently, or where a bad result occurs without notice by whoever is imposing the consequence. Most people in this thread seem to feel that your situation did not involve either of those scenarios. So it has degenerated into an argument that seems to you to trivialize your complaint.

How about "EVERYTHING ABOUT CELEBRITY'S NONREFUNDABLE CRUISE FARES JUST SUCKS!" We might find more people on board with that...  🤷

Edited by mayleeman

5 hours ago, mayleeman said:

@calicakes If you are a lawyer, you likely know that "fair" in law is usually used in comparing two situations that are resolved differently, or where a bad result occurs without notice by whoever is imposing the consequence. Most people in this thread seem to feel that your situation did not involve either of those scenarios. So it has degenerated into an argument that seems to you to trivialize your complaint.

How about "EVERYTHING ABOUT CELEBRITY'S NONREFUNDABLE CRUISE FARES JUST SUCKS!" We might find more people on board with that...  🤷

We always booked at the Refundable rate..b/c you never know what one's situation could be so far into  the future..The. Cruise line held our deposit for a long period..no interest given to us. The Refundable fare was a reasonable amount higher than the  non- ref...so it was worth it to us.

BUT  the Refundable Fares have now skyrocketed to  a point where we are left with no realistic  option than the Non Refundable  fare.  So  we need to compensate with upgraded trvl insurance which for us is key!

Side point..if we use a Credit Card that gives good trvl insurance, we lose out in getting dbl  points for final payment from our BOA Royal card..

• Like 1