This doesn't seem fair!!

Posted (edited)

I am not trying to be insensitive to the OP's feelings. But I think a point that may be being confused here is the thought that because the cruise line retained the OP's original dollars, the OP deserved the points that would have been earned had she taken the cruise. IMO, the two are mutually exclusive. Why? 

The first is a business transaction that would provide for a cruise that in this case, thanks to insurance, will ultimately result in no money lost by the OP keeping her whole and with no damages. 

The second is a perk associated with physically taking a cruise. The second has nothing to do with the first.  However, as discussed, points would not be awarded as the OP was not physically on the cruise. 

And even if an argument could be made that the money retained by the cruise line is a valid reason for points to be awarded, this very argument would be negated as, since the OP will ultimately be reimbursed that money, no money actually will be paid by her. She ultimately will have paid nothing and did not take a cruise. No money spent, no cruise, no points. It makes the whole debate moot IMO. 

Most importantly and IMO to the real point, I hope the OP recovers quickly and completely. Medical issues are always unpleasant and our health is of primary importance.  I am glad you will eventually recover your money as it seems as though you already have new and better plans in place.

Best to you moving forward.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 9

48 minutes ago, omeinv said:

now when pretty much everyone has pointed out that you're expecting something that the program rules specifically do not allow for, you seem to be becoming more and more strident 

probably, because everyone keeps pointing out the same thing over and over and over again... 3 pages of the same point.

1 hour ago, calicakes said:

Actually, there were some issues with the excursions and weather on this cruise so we're going to do the reef on our own.  February doesn't seem like a good time to do the reef.  I think we'll go in November.   Private excursions would not work with our roll call group due to tender times, so we were forced to book very expensive excursions through celebrity.  

Doing the GBR as a  land vacation is much better from a snorkeling/diving perspective for the private excursion reason you mentioned.  The ship's offerings give you less choice and are  expensive.  Good luck with your trip.

2 hours ago, calicakes said:

I DIDN"T ask for my money back.  I knew the policy was 100 percent for cancellation that late.  I don't think its fair that I don't get the Captains club points since X got my 10k.  I feel like I paid for the cruise, why not give me the points.  Those points would have moved me from Select to Elite. 

For both January '23 (husband) and '24 (me) cruises we had to cancel for medical reasons. We are both Elite+ and 250 points away from Zenith. It never once occurred to me that we should have been entitled to the points if we didn't take the cruise!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, calicakes said:

My concern isn't with other cruise lines, its with this cruise line.  

My point is since all cruise lines follow the same “rules” re only awarding points for cruises one actually took, you will not just be avoiding Celebrity, you won’t be cruising any cruise line.

I certainly am sorry you had such a devastating accident.  Best wishes for a complete recovery.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

For both January '23 (husband) and '24 (me) cruises we had to cancel for medical reasons. We are both Elite+ and 250 points away from Zenith. It never once occurred to me that we should have been entitled to the points if we didn't take the cruise!!

That is awesome that you didn't you think you were entitled.  

• Haha 1

I didn't know that my yearly insurance policy only covered 5k in cruise cancellation( for the entire year).  The cruise alone was 10k, not to mention the other expenses I incurred.  My chase credit card insurance is much better than the Allianz. 

I sound entitled because I want the Captain's club points because I paid Celebrity 10k?  Yeah, ok.  I haven't been reimbursed by insurance yet.  Bottom line is X was paid for the cruise that I didn't take.( they also could have sold the room again)  Why shouldn't I get the points?  

If you have to cancel a flight you don’t get the miles, if you book a hotel you don’t get credit for the nights if you don’t stay there. 

As for the Allianz insurance, there is a choice of 3 Allianz annual policies 2 have options on the coverage  for cancellation ranging from $2,000 to $15,000.

My DH and I are both on our Allianz policy with $5,000 cancellation if we have to cancel we both have up to $5k of our cost covered. Are you both listed on the policy?  If so you should have more than $5k, unless you opted for $2,500 ( $5000 for 2).

We rely on our credit card for cancellation but have the Allianz for the emergency medical and evacuation.

33 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

probably, because everyone keeps pointing out the same thing over and over and over again... 3 pages of the same point.

Everyone has an opinion.  Every single thread here on CC has pages and pages of the same responses. 

• Haha 1

OP, I understand how you feel. We had to cancel a couple very close to departure too. No Insurance. I will just wish you a very speedy recovery and all the very best.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, calicakes said:

That is awesome that you didn't you think you were entitled.  

Yes, and even though we are both originally from Brooklyn, we wouldn't have thought we were entitled then either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 2

I DIDN"T ask for my money back.  I knew the policy was 100 percent for cancellation that late.  I don't think its fair that I don't get the Captains club points since X got my 10k.  I feel like I paid for the cruise, why not give me the points.  Those points would have moved me from Select to Elite. 

I agree that the policy stinks but it is the deal and their rules.  You will get port fees refunded to you and any advance purchases are refunded too.  It happened to us 10 years ago when I ended up in the cardiac catheter lab 5 days before we were to sail. I did call Captains Club to ask about it and I got the same answer. It they glad I was on the mend….

3 hours ago, calicakes said:

I didn't know that my yearly insurance policy only covered 5k in cruise cancellation( for the entire year).  The cruise alone was 10k, not to mention the other expenses I incurred.  My chase credit card insurance is much better than the Allianz. 

You can make a claim with both insurance companies so you can recover as much as possible.

I am complete sympathetic to the OP.  My sister suffered what sounds like the same injury about two months ago.  The recovery plan is identical and she is, hopefully, tomorrow, going to begin the process of putting weight on her ankle after two long months of frustrating bed rest, having to rely on her family for simple things, and not being able to leave her home without assistance.  Put simply, I get the frustration and yes, anger, involved.

Having said that, this is the same sister I am able to treat to a cruise periodically.  For me it's sister time, so it's totally worth it.  I pay - she gets the points - because they are for nights sailed, not dollars spent.  Fair or not, that's just the way the programs work.

My hope is for the OP is for a speedy and complete recovery and being made financially whole so so she can experience that amazing cruise in the future.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, calicakes said:

Firstly, I'm female and my insurance is with Allianz( not purchased through the cruise) and my Chase preferred card.  I filed the claim with Chase since coverage is higher.  

Your reasoning doesn't make sense.  I'm sure there are folks who've had to cancel who didn't have any insurance.  

Its also interesting to note that I paid for a move up upgrade 2 weeks before the accident.  They received an additional 2600 from me for a move up from Aqua to a Sky Suite.  

They upgrade may be something that Celebrity may be negotiable about.   I would try writing Laura an see if she can help.   

I won an upgrade 6 hours before the Covid Shut down.      They did agree to refund the amount.    The cruise was my free Zenith Cruise and they re-instated my the free cruise.

• Like 4

This just shows the importance of being aware of the rules or having a travel agent who knows the rules.  There were steps that could have been taken by the OP or her representative but were not.  

Calicakes, I am so sorry that you are in pain and so miserable. But I think you need to consider that you would be feeling the same way no matter what cruise line you have been booked up. No one would award you points for a cruise not taken

• Like 2

5 hours ago, calicakes said:

I had to cancel our Great Barrier reef cruise 2 weeks before the cruise due to a broken ankle/tib/fib.  I do have travel insurance.  What doesn't seem fair is that Celebrity is going to keep our 10k and yet I don't get the Captain's Club points.  Why?  Because I didn't take the actual cruise.  That doesn't seem fair to me.  I would have reached Elite after this cruise.  

I'm so sorry this happened to you, and do hope you are on the mend!  Re the cruise, yes policy is there but some situations warrant a review of a policy, seems to me your situation may be one.  No guarantee of course but perhaps if you write the executive office and state your case to them, maybe they will at least review this with you.  Worth a try, worst they can do at this point is say no, but perhaps after review...  Good luck!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, keesar said:

There were steps that could have been taken by the OP or her representative but were not.

and what were those steps? 

21 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

They upgrade may be something that Celebrity may be negotiable about.   I would try writing Laura an see if she can help.   

I won an upgrade 6 hours before the Covid Shut down.      They did agree to refund the amount.    The cruise was my free Zenith Cruise and they re-instated my the free cruise.

Would they even engage with me if I booked thru my TA?  My TA told me she reached out trying to get the move up offer money back to no avail. 

Just FYI, we were on the Eclipse just before Covid shut down the world. We were on the ship for an additional two weeks. We were surprised to see that after we got home, we were granted points for the extra days. Had no idea this was going to happen. Their policy about actually being on the ship to acquire points does seem to work both ways…

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Basketball wife said:

Just FYI, we were on the Eclipse just before Covid shut down the world. We were on the ship for an additional two weeks. We were surprised to see that after we got home, we were granted points for the extra days. Had no idea this was going to happen. Their policy about actually being on the ship to acquire points does seem to work both ways…

I think there’s got to be an exception if the cruise is unexpectedly cut short by the cruise line. You should get all the points that you would have gotten if the cruise had not been shortened. 

3 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

I think there’s got to be an exception if the cruise is unexpectedly cut short by the cruise line. You should get all the points that you would have gotten if the cruise had not been shortened. 

Read it again… their cruise wasn’t shortened. It was lengthened 

10 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Read it again… their cruise wasn’t shortened. It was lengthened 

I know. I read it three times. The lengthened example was used to reinforce the concept that you don’t get points unless you are aboard. I was pointing out a likely exception.