This doesn't seem fair!!

I had to cancel our Great Barrier reef cruise 2 weeks before the cruise due to a broken ankle/tib/fib.  I do have travel insurance.  What doesn't seem fair is that Celebrity is going to keep our 10k and yet I don't get the Captain's Club points.  Why?  Because I didn't take the actual cruise.  That doesn't seem fair to me.  I would have reached Elite after this cruise.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, calicakes said:

I had to cancel our Great Barrier reef cruise 2 weeks before the cruise due to a broken ankle/tib/fib.  I do have travel insurance.  What doesn't seem fair is that Celebrity is going to keep our 10k and yet I don't get the Captain's Club points.  Why?  Because I didn't take the actual cruise.  That doesn't seem fair to me.  I would have reached Elite after this cruise.  

You have to take the cruise to get the points. Always been that way. Their loyalty program------ their  rules. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I agree.  I have never understood this policy!  It makes no sense especially since they got your money.

From a business standpoint IMO it makes a lot of sense.  They may have gotten the money, but the insurance company will reimburse the OP.  So he is not harmed and has no loss. Why should they not keep the money?  Or by refunding it, potentially take a loss through no fault of their own? If they did they potentially would be the ones taking a loss for the OP's issue.

The cruise company is entitled to the money as they may not be able on short notice to rebook the stateroom. Why should they absorb all the risk? That is the purpose of the insurance as all parties involved remain whole.  It's also a matter of very typical terms and conditions, which is why insurance is always recommended.

As to the CC points, if you are not on board the ship you never took the cruise so the points are not issued.  The business side is of this is irrelevant, in particular as neither party is financially harmed and both remain whole.  Again, terms and conditions, which IMO make sense regarding the points.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

If they did they potentially would be the ones taking a loss for the OP's issue.

Firstly, I'm female and my insurance is with Allianz( not purchased through the cruise) and my Chase preferred card.  I filed the claim with Chase since coverage is higher.  

Your reasoning doesn't make sense.  I'm sure there are folks who've had to cancel who didn't have any insurance.  

Its also interesting to note that I paid for a move up upgrade 2 weeks before the accident.  They received an additional 2600 from me for a move up from Aqua to a Sky Suite.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Firstly, I'm female and my insurance is with Allianz( not purchased through the cruise) and my Chase preferred card.  I filed the claim with Chase since coverage is higher.  

Your reasoning doesn't make sense.  I'm sure there are folks who've had to cancel who didn't have any insurance.  

It’s also interesting to note that I paid for a move up upgrade 2 weeks before the accident.  They received an additional 2600 from me for a move up from Aqua to a Sky Suite.  

They are saying the cruise line operates under the premise that they would not be able to fill your cabin (ie they are now the party experiencing the loss due to the late cancellation and subsequent refund) by giving your $10k back. That’s just how insurance works. Your claim via Chase may be a whole different set of frustrations but at least you have some coverage. 

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Its also interesting to note that I paid for a move up upgrade 2 weeks before the accident.  They received an additional 2600 from me for a move up from Aqua to a Sky Suite.  

First of all I am not challenging you and feel bad for the circumstances of your situation.  I am only responding from a business point of view as to why the money was not returned by the cruise line and why the points are not issued.  The reasoning of how insurance would be applied in this situation makes perfect sense and is at it's core, its purpose.  You will not have a financial loss as a result.  

If you did not have insurance, not only would you have been not awarded the points, you would lose your cruise fare dollars paid.  That is exactly what would happen to those who don't purchase it. 

Your insurance through Allianz was a very good move as they would have better coverage levels than the cruise line sponsored insurance.

Also, you only cited one sentence in my response at which to direct your comments. While I appreciate your thoughts, I think it is important to consider the entirety of what I said so as to not potentially have things seen out of context.

And I apologize for typing "he" in my response in my haste - I just looked back and realized that. No offense was intended.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Your insurance through Allianz was a very good move as they would have better coverage levels than the cruise line sponsored insurance.

I didn't know that my yearly insurance policy only covered 5k in cruise cancellation( for the entire year).  The cruise alone was 10k, not to mention the other expenses I incurred.  My chase credit card insurance is much better than the Allianz. 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Just be glad you have the insurance, we never travel without it..we also have Allianz, I may look at what my CC’s offer.

I hope you heal up just fine..stinks to miss the cruise. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, calicakes said:

I didn't know that my yearly insurance policy only covered 5k in cruise cancellation( for the entire year).  The cruise alone was 10k, not to mention the other expenses I incurred.  My chase credit card insurance is much better than the Allianz. 

I thought Allianz allowed you to set the total cruise value?  Perhaps not on the annual policy.  I hope you are made financially whole in your combined coverage.

Also please note my apology for addressing my response to you as "he" (edited on my last post).  Inadvertent in my haste to respond.

Sorry to hear about your injury. I don't remember how Chase's policies work but I wouldn't be surprised if they have you make your initial claim with Allianz first, then pay for whatever Allianz doesn't cover.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

As to the CC points, if you are not on board the ship you never took the cruise so the points are not issued.  The business side is of this is irrelevant, in particular as neither party is financially harmed and both remain whole.  Again, terms and conditions, which IMO make sense regarding the points.

Didn't take the cruise, got reimbursed and still wants the points. Sounds entitled.  The points are for taking the cruise not booking it. If they issued points for booking then people who book multiple rooms or who pay for others would claim points. Opens up a can of worms. I was in the same situation, had to cancel for medical reasons, the insurence paid and no points. I was happy that I had insurence and was made whole. Insurence or not I don't see why I would have been entitled to points. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Didn't take the cruise, got reimbursed and still wants the points. Sounds entitled.

I sound entitled because I want the Captain's club points because I paid Celebrity 10k?  Yeah, ok.  I haven't been reimbursed by insurance yet.  Bottom line is X was paid for the cruise that I didn't take.( they also could have sold the room again)  Why shouldn't I get the points?  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Yes, that"s one reason I buy a policy for each trip. In addition, at least in my state, the medical coverge on the annual policy is lower.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

OP is probably disappointed about cancelling, y'all don't pile on too hard.  

Thank you.  The entire experience was devastating.  I've never broken a bone, never had to rely on my spouse to do everything for me.  Never had to sit on a sofa all day( bored out of my mind), watching the roll call group go on with the cruise( a bucket list cruise for sure).  I'm still taking pain meds 3.5 weeks later.  I can't bear weight for another 3 weeks.  I have months of PT ahead of me.  Jeez, why do I even post here.  Its MY OPINION.  I'm entitled to it.  I feel its UNFAIR that I paid X 10k and I won't even get the points.  

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Was it too late to reschedule?

Accident happened on Feb 10th.  We were supposed to leave for Sydney on Feb 19th.  Cruise left Sydney on Feb 25th.  Disembarkation is this morning( Sydney time).  We were supposed to have a trip to the Blue Mountains today and fly home on the 8th.  

47 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

They are saying the cruise line operates under the premise that they would not be able to fill your cabin (ie they are now the party experiencing the loss due to the late cancellation and subsequent refund) by giving your $10k back. That’s just how insurance works. Your claim via Chase may be a whole different set of frustrations but at least you have some coverage. 

I DIDN"T ask for my money back.  I knew the policy was 100 percent for cancellation that late.  I don't think its fair that I don't get the Captains club points since X got my 10k.  I feel like I paid for the cruise, why not give me the points.  Those points would have moved me from Select to Elite. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Here's another consideration.  The person who receives commission on the booking, still receives their full commission on the cancelled cruise.

Yeah, thats a good point.  I booked with a well known cruise TA.  Who by the way, just provided me with my cancellation notice after I asked about 5x.  I needed that notice for the insurance. 

3 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Accident happened on Feb 10th. 

but was it too late to reschedule the cruise and only incur a change fee? We haven't cruised with X before, so I am not exactly familiar with their rescheduling practices, but I wonder if it was possible to reschedule it, say, by a year or so.

35 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I thought Allianz allowed you to set the total cruise value?  Perhaps not on the annual policy.  I hope you are made financially whole in your combined coverage.

Well apparently I just accepted the default cruise cancellation coverage of 5k.  I would have had to raise it to 10 or 15k.  ( I'll do that next year when it renews). Honestly, I've never had to cancel a trip before.  My main concern when I chose insurance is getting hurt away from home or medical evacuation.   I also have a Geo Global policy.   I guess I was over insured that way, but under insured in Trip Cancellation.   Thankfully, Chase has a much better policy.  I did get an airline credit and refunds for all of Celebrity Excursions I booked as well as the private excursions.  I only received a partial refund from Airbnb. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

but was it too late to reschedule the cruise and only incur a change fee? We haven't cruised with X before, so I am not exactly familiar with their rescheduling practices, but I wonder if it was possible to reschedule it, say, by a year or so.

Too late. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Thank you.  The entire experience was devastating.  I've never broken a bone, never had to rely on my spouse to do everything for me.  Never had to sit on a sofa all day( bored out of my mind), watching the roll call group go on with the cruise( a bucket list cruise for sure).  I'm still taking pain meds 3.5 weeks later.  I can't bear weight for another 3 weeks.  I have months of PT ahead of me.  Jeez, why do I even post here.  Its MY OPINION.  I'm entitled to it.  I feel its UNFAIR that I paid X 10k and I won't even get the points.  

May you have a speedy and compete recovery. It"s their points policy and you had insurance to cover the cost.  Points are award with compilation not with the final payment.