This doesn't seem fair!!

19 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

You will get port fees refunded to you and any advance purchases are refunded too.

Will I get port fees?

14 hours ago, zestyzorra said:

Just wanted to say I'm so sorry.  I broke the same ankle & bones in 2020 and it was utterly miserable.  It was during the pandemic so no trip to cancel, so I can only imagine having to do that on top of dealing with the injury. Hope you heal quickly!

Thank you.  How was your recovery?  I'm hearing horror stories about people not being able to walk properly.  I'm a very active person and this is absolutely killing me right now. 

19 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

OP, I know you are unhappy but I go back to post #2.  Their loyalty program, their rules.  And there is no other cruise line that would be any different.

Yes and my title says everything " This doesn't seem fair".  That was the entire gist of my post.  and yet I'm getting told I could have done things differently, I'm entitled, blah, blah, blah. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jwlane said:

I'm curious what the T&C you agreed to when you booked the cruise say.

No clue.  Do you read every single T and C when you sign your contract?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Will I get port fees?

If you email the executive office you need to request the refund of ALL fees beyond your basic cruise fare.  These would include: upgrade for cabin, drink package, shore excursions, port fees.  Really anything and everything you have paid except the basic cruise fare.

Take a deep breath and compose the email.  You should come out of this just fine if you do the PT.  I hated PT after my Achilles ruptures- all 3.  Can't run but walk fine.

See my post #87.  I would gladly take a bunch of $$.

Make that appointment with Chase.  You have 10K in insurance with your Sapphire card.

Adios and better luck in the future.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 1

The rules and contract terms may be set and unchangeable, I get that part....

....but  to me some of the comments on this thread are surprisingly harsh esp when a fellow cruiser has suffered a bad injury and the  heartache of missing a dream cruise.  

How about some compassion?

P.S .  My friend had a similar injury..slip and fall, (wet floor, no sign) at a Golf Club.  She endured  major surgery and a  long rehab & recovery period..but is walking  well on her own  now.  Hope!

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Thank you. That was my point, however, so many people think I want my money back or I want something else.  Whatever, I'm over this thread at this point.  

We've taken 7 X cruises, 5 in Aqua, 1 in a suite and 1 in a veranda and still not Elite.  

I have followed your live from threads for a couple of years and was surprised you didn't have more X cruises. I have never heard you complain about anything and doubt you think you are entitled to anything outside of the norm and I understood your first post very clearly.

If we here on CC think some Celebrity policy is unfair it is good that we bring it to ours and Celebrity's attention. Just like Cookiegate months ago, the outrage here and other social media sites got corporate to reverse course. While on our Edge cruise to NZ in January I posted how we had the worst ever room attendant of any cruise and we were in a SS. I posted this in the general Captains Club page on a social media site we are not supposed to mention here. Within one hour the Retreat Manager and the Hotel Manager were knocking on my cabin door to discuss my displeasure I had posted on social media. My point is somebody at corporate must be monitoring Celebrity social media sites. BTW the situation was taken care of very swiftly and professionally. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Yes and my title says everything " This doesn't seem fair".  That was the entire gist of my post.  and yet I'm getting told I could have done things differently, I'm entitled, blah, blah, blah. 

I'm sorry you had an accident.  It's not fair?  Well, I would agree with those who suggest reaching out to the Executive Office, because we can't fix anything.  I can tell you that during the worst of Covid, Celebrity was very nice to us about canceling.  Maybe you'll get someone who is sympathetic.

I hope people read this and spend more time getting travel insurance and knowing what their coverage is.  After 10-15 years of thinking I was invincible, I started getting trip insurance for every cruise.  A separate policy from my credit card coverage.  I make sure I know what's covered and I ask lots of questions.  I bought an insurance policy with Cancel For Any Reason within 21 days of booking my cruise and bought flights later.  So I checked with my insurance company to make sure the flights were covered under the policy.  And we have existing medical conditions that are not always covered by a policy.  We do it more for things like your accident.

I took a required class in contract law in business school 15 years ago.  It was very eye opening.  Yes, some of us really do read the terms and conditions of contracts we sign.

Edited by zitsky

2 hours ago, rcrabb1513 said:

The cancellation policy is presented when the cruise is booked.  If one doesn't take the time to read it then one shouldn't be surprised when it is enforced.

What does the cancellation policy talk about Loyalty points, I'm not disputing the cancelation policy.All I said that I didn't think it was fair that I paid for the freaking cruise and I didn't get the points end of story

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

I think OP will just get madder if they say no which is likely. 

The customer does not sound very loyal to me. And they have not cruised Celebrity that much as they are not yet Elite. I don’t think they are likely to upend their policy for her. 

7 cruises on X, 2 on oceania, 1 on NCL. 

4 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I took a required class in contract law in business school 15 years ago.  It was very eye opening.  Yes, some of us really

I'm a lawyer and i don't.  Its basically an adhesion contract, if you don't sign, you don't cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Will I get port fees?

Yes, you should get port fees and taxes refunded.  Yes, it does suck, stink, seem unfair that we can't get the points when they get to keep the money but it is their ball so they can make the rules.

On another note, as your bones heal PT is your friend.  When joints are immobilized they stiffen and freeze up and the muscles around them atrophy so PT is important to a great recovery.  Speaking from experience in my mis-spent youth when I had two knee surgeries on the same knee  before they had arthroscopes and in between I broke my femur into right at the knee.  I was 23 when the doctor said I had arthritis, 76 when I finally got a new knee.....

26 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

These would include: upgrade for cabin, drink package, shore excursions, port fees.  Really anything and everything you have paid except the basic cruise fare.

They did refund all excursions, but I went in and manually cancelled them.  I also received the upgraded internet refund.  Drink package was included since I booked in Oct 2022. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, calicakes said:

I'm a lawyer and i don't.  Its basically an adhesion contract, if you don't sign, you don't cruise. 

I have no comment.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, calicakes said:

7 cruises on X, 2 on oceania, 1 on NCL. 

That is a good start. Glad you have done 3 different cruise lines.and have not got into a one cruise line rut. Those points are really not that important. I never thought about points or loyal to one when I started 28 years ago and eventually I got to good levels on several cruise lines by jut cruising.Celebrity and Royal both at one time when I was close to the next level essentially devalued my pionts.just before my next tier.  I didn't think that was fair but they can do what they want. It was like Lucy and Charlie Brown with the football. At least so far my points have been forever. Other loyalty programs have time limits etc. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, calicakes said:

Do you read every single T and C when you sign your contract?

No. I also wouldn't complain after the fact if they weren't to my liking. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2024 at 12:59 PM, leaveitallbehind said:

From a business standpoint IMO it makes a lot of sense.  They may have gotten the money, but the insurance company will reimburse the OP.  So he is not harmed and has no loss. Why should they not keep the money?  Or by refunding it, potentially take a loss through no fault of their own? If they did they potentially would be the ones taking a loss for the OP's issue.

The cruise company is entitled to the money as they may not be able on short notice to rebook the stateroom. Why should they absorb all the risk? That is the purpose of the insurance as all parties involved remain whole.  It's also a matter of very typical terms and conditions, which is why insurance is always recommended.

As to the CC points, if you are not on board the ship you never took the cruise so the points are not issued.  The business side is of this is irrelevant, in particular as neither party is financially harmed and both remain whole.  Again, terms and conditions, which IMO make sense regarding the points.

In a perfect world, if the cruise line is able to sell a cancelled cabin, they would reach out to a person who cancelled and reimburse the full amount minus a potential difference in price if a new sold price is less that from the cancelled booking.  The insurance shouldn't matter (again, in the perfect world), because 1. it's an opposite: the insurance will only reimburse if a cruise line will not (there should be a proof of not reimbursement from a cruise line sent to the insurance company), and 2. a person might not have an insurance.

23 hours ago, calicakes said:

Maybe if they would have given me the points, I'd stay loyal. 

Not only they might sell your cabin to get double payment, but even if not, they save on food (I assume they cook for a know number of passengers, not for ghosts, too), fresh water, accessories, and alike.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, calicakes said:

No, I'm not ok.  I'm sitting on my ass all damn day, unable to go to the gym, unable to drive, unable to take my own dogs for a walk.  Excuse me if I think its UNFAIR that the cruise line gets to keep 10k and not give me the points.  I don't really care what other loyalty programs do.  I received a 7500.00 credit on American air for my flight.  I didn't lose any other money on any other reservations except 217.00 on airbnb.  So, my concern is not what other loyalty programs do or do not offer.  

I'm really not the first person to come to CC and proclaim something unfair.  Can't we just leave it at that.  Why do I have to be called "entitled".  Its a JOKE at this point. 

I agree.  "Entitled" (in these days' critique) is someone claiming not reasonable (or not deserved) item.  Your situation is different.

Edited by kirtihk

22 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I am not trying to be insensitive to the OP's feelings. But I think a point that may be being confused here is the thought that because the cruise line retained the OP's original dollars, the OP deserved the points that would have been earned had she taken the cruise. IMO, the two are mutually exclusive. Why? 

The first is a business transaction that would provide for a cruise that in this case, thanks to insurance, will ultimately result in no money lost by the OP keeping her whole and with no damages. 

The second is a perk associated with physically taking a cruise. The second has nothing to do with the first.  However, as discussed, points would not be awarded as the OP was not physically on the cruise. 

And even if an argument could be made that the money retained by the cruise line is a valid reason for points to be awarded, this very argument would be negated as, since the OP will ultimately be reimbursed that money, no money actually will be paid by her. She ultimately will have paid nothing and did not take a cruise. No money spent, no cruise, no points. It makes the whole debate moot IMO. 

Most importantly and IMO to the real point, I hope the OP recovers quickly and completely. Medical issues are always unpleasant and our health is of primary importance.  I am glad you will eventually recover your money as it seems as though you already have new and better plans in place.

Best to you moving forward.

What about when there is no insurance bought for a cancelled cruise?  If I reach out to a cruise line and have proof of not having insurance and not getting money back anyhow, would they give me points?  Of course, not.  Therefore, your statement is not sustainable.

4 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

What about when there is no insurance bought for a cancelled cruise?  If I reach out to a cruise line and have proof of not having insurance and not getting money back anyhow, would they give me points?  Of course, not.  Therefore, your statement is not sustainable.

The points are for going on the cruise. They are not for purchasing a cruise. They make that clear. If I buy two cabins in addition to my own, two for family member  I don't get points for the other cabins. But hey if you want to argue with the cruise line, and beg the cruise line for points go for it. Good luck! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The points are for going on the cruise. They are not for purchasing a cruise. They make that clear. If I buy two cabins in addition to my own, two for family member  I don't get points for the other cabins. But hey if you want to argue with the cruise line, and beg the cruise line for points go for it. Good luck! 

It should be no difference.

Someone (people in those 2 cabins) will get points.

It's not about begging, it's about fairness (as stated in the topic of this thread).

Edited by kirtihk

20 hours ago, calicakes said:

Would they even engage with me if I booked thru my TA?  My TA told me she reached out trying to get the move up offer money back to no avail. 

Just out of curiosity since we are talking about fairness, I suspect that your TA was going to provide you with some sort of rebate for booking the cruise with her/him.  Is the TA still going to provide you with the same rebate even though you are not taking the cruise?  Is it fair that your TA gets a larger commission because you didn’t take the cruise?  I hope you get some sort of rebate from your TA.

1 hour ago, kirtihk said:

In a perfect world, if the cruise line is able to sell a cancelled cabin, they would reach out to a person who cancelled and reimburse the full amount minus a potential difference in price if a new sold price is less that from the cancelled booking.  The insurance shouldn't matter (again, in the perfect world), because 1. it's an opposite: the insurance will only reimburse if a cruise line will not (there should be a proof of not reimbursement from a cruise line sent to the insurance company), and 2. a person might not have an insurance.

Before my partner got covid we got trip insurance.  When he got sick about 2 years ago or so, we reached out to Celebrity.  They moved us to a future date when they didn't have to.  And because we didn't use the third party travel insurance (Travel Insured), the insurance company moved our policy to that new cruise date.

If Celebrity had refused our change and we had no insurance, we would be out of luck.

We usually book with non refundable deposits.  At that point, if I remember, we had gone past final payment.  I knew the cancellation policy but fortunately it didn't affect us.