Question concerning the Mini Bar

4x4bob

With Princess making changes every time I put my left foot down, My question is:  Can we still have the Cabin Steward make exchanges with the bottles provided for the Mini Bar?

Example:  I don't like gin so would like to exchange it for Brandy. And, the wife would like to exchange the other soft drinks just for Coke.

Thanks

Bob

Yes, you can ask steward to swap out mini-bottles for other mini-bottles, same for cans of stuff in the fridge. 

We usually take everything out of the mini-fridge, [we usually don't drink any of it], and put it all on top of the mini-fridge and leave a note [or tell him/her] to replace it with our choices.  Have been successful each and every time with no issues!

• Like 3

On our last cruise which was the Enchanted Princess in Feb 2024, we had to call room service for the exchange.  We exchange all 20 items for 20 diet cokes since we do not drink alcohol.  Room steward could not do the exchange.

• Like 1

I would ask your steward if he/she can exchange, or should you call RS.

Some stewards have preferred you to call RS, since it really their responsibility.  

The last few cruises, they ask us to call RS.

But, yes, as others stated, NP for your exchanges.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, birdiebill said:

On our last cruise which was the Enchanted Princess in Feb 2024, we had to call room service for the exchange.  We exchange all 20 items for 20 diet cokes since we do not drink alcohol.  Room steward could not do the exchange.

Agree with this, we have never asked our steward. It has always been our understanding that this is a room service function. We usually call in the afternoon after boarding and generally we come back to the cabin to find it switched out after dinner or at latest by the next day. We also switch out for 20 diet cokes. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

Agree with this, we have never asked our steward. It has always been our understanding that this is a room service function. We usually call in the afternoon after boarding and generally we come back to the cabin to find it switched out after dinner or at latest by the next day. We also switch out for 20 diet cokes. 

Agree. I made the mistake of saying here on CC once that I had asked the steward to make the swap and got soundly shouted down. It really is the Room Service number you have to call when you get into your cabin, please leave Stewart alone to do his/her job as turnover day is hellish for them without passengers asking them to do someone else's job. The changeover will happen within a few hours.

• Like 2

Our upcoming May cruise will be first time being Elite.  

When u call room service to have items swapped, do u just tell them what u want to swap and for what and put those items out for them. Especially if you’re not there when they come. 

I don’t drink any alcohol and DH doesn’t drink beer. 

Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, Alaska05 said:

When u call room service to have items swapped, do u just tell them what u want to swap and for what and put those items out for them. Especially if you’re not there when they come. 

Thanks. 

Yes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alaska05 said:

Thanks. 

You just tell them what you want to swap out and then leave everything as it is - they will come in and make the replacements. If it is just a few specific items, just be sure to tell them exactly what you want taken away and what you prefer in exchange. No need for you to pull them out. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mameeo said:

Are you able to swap out alcohol for bottle of wine? 
first time as elite in a few weeks. 
Thanks 🍷🍷

Mmmmm, my understanding has always been that wine contains alcohol....

On 3/9/2024 at 3:16 PM, mameeo said:

Are you able to swap out alcohol for bottle of wine? 
first time as elite in a few weeks. 
Thanks 🍷🍷

In the past, we had to exchange the entire mini bar, alcohol, soda, beer, water and all.    I don’t know what the selections are, but the last time, the chardonnay we got was terrible. 

Room service takes care of it now. Just phone and let them know what items you want them to take and what we would like in exchange 

On 3/9/2024 at 2:27 PM, hamrag said:

Mmmmm, my understanding has always been that wine contains alcohol....

Not according to my Southern Baptist Sunday School Teacher!  The water that was turned into wine by Jesus, was alcohol free.  🤣

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, cruisinsince75 said:

Not according to my Southern Baptist Sunday School Teacher!  The water that was turned into wine by Jesus, was alcohol free.  🤣

Absolutely correct, the water definitely was alcohol free. The resultant wine was not! 😉

While some folks say they have had the steward make the change I wouldn't be too surprised to find that the steward actually just  ended up acting as an intermediary and passed the task on to room service. I agree that the stewards have more than enough to contend with on turnaround days without having to attend to the needs of those who want to swap items in the mini bar.

On 3/9/2024 at 3:08 PM, karatemom2 said:

You just tell them what you want to swap out and then leave everything as it is - they will come in and make the replacements. If it is just a few specific items, just be sure to tell them exactly what you want taken away and what you prefer in exchange. No need for you to pull them out. 

Although I would separate out the ones to be taken away just to make it clear to the crew member from RS who may arrive when not in the cabin.  (Make sure you don't put the red light on or they will not enter).

• Like 2