Stolen Luggage

5 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

There was a time,  years ago, when the ticket agents did check to ensure name tags were on all checked bags.

there was also a time, years ago, when you could smoke on airplanes and you'd arrive at your destination smelling like an ashtray.

there was a time, years ago, when they printed your credit card number on your receipt.

there was a time, years ago, when they served hot meals on bone china... in coach.

there was a time, years ago, when your airline insisted on a paper ticket.

there was a time, years ago, that pan am carved roast beef onboard its aircraft and served their meals with fresh cut flowers.

there was a time, years ago, when american airlines featured a piano lounge on some of its aircraft.

there was a time, years ago, when standard seat pitch was 34 inches. now, it's more like 31 inches.

we live in different times.

pro tip: you can write anything you want on a luggage tag! where it says "name," write your first name, where it says "address," enter an email and/or phone number.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UKstages said:

there was also a time, years ago, when you could smoke on airplanes and you'd arrive at your destination smelling like an ashtray.

we live in different times.

Those were the good old days.

3 minutes ago, UKstages said:

pro tip: you can write anything you want on a luggage tag! where it says "name," write your first name, where it says "address," enter an email and/or phone number.

Great tip.  I need to redo my name side on my Not Your Bag tag😊

On the cruise after I took someone’s bag, we saw a fellow cruiser with the Not Your Bag tag.  To Amazon I went.

67471E87-AF3F-429B-8C79-28B7AA9C6F92.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

Great tip.  I need to redo my name side on my Not Your Bag tag😊

On the cruise after I took someone’s bag, we saw a fellow cruiser with the Not Your Bag tag.  To Amazon I went.

67471E87-AF3F-429B-8C79-28B7AA9C6F92.jpeg

And the hundreds )mst likely thousands) of other people wjo bought them all have identical tages.  Defeats the purpose kind of!  🙂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

And the hundreds )mst likely thousands) of other people wjo bought them all have identical tages.  Defeats the purpose kind of!  🙂

Lol…agreed.  For us it is a little laugh, but I will say the tag/luggage combo does create a more unique bag.  

I had some colored zip-ties laying around that came in an assortment. I put one on each piece of luggage on the handle and clipped off the excess. It’s not in the way and now the luggage sticks out a little. And it is much stronger than the usual string/ribbon that most people use.

Besides, what else was I going to do with fluorescent green zip ties?

6 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

There was a time,  years ago, when the ticket agents did check to ensure name tags were on all checked bags.

Must have been a long time ago! I’ve worked in travel for over 30 years, and maybe in the early days, but not in the last 20 or so years have airlines required this. 

Unless a US thing but have travelled many times and not needed a luggage tag 

25 minutes ago, DominicAUS said:

Must have been a long time ago! I’ve worked in travel for over 30 years, and maybe in the early days, but not in the last 20 or so years have airlines required this. 

Unless a US thing but have travelled many times and not needed a luggage tag 

My memories are probably from 20+ years ago.  They used to keep blank luggage tags at the checkin counter and they would make you use them.  Probably stopped because few people check bags.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 7:53 AM, Homosassa said:

On several occasions I couldn't find a bag in the luggage area.

Each time I found it, but on each occasion, it was a problem with someone misidentifying the color tag with another color tag that might look identical in low light conditions of early morning.

Examples of mix up in color tags: red/purple, blue/green, red/orange.

There are also times when the luggage tags have been torn off the bag and the bags are kept separately until someone comes looking.

On the other hand, I had someone attempt to steal my pocketbook while going through security to board the ship.

It was skillfully done and if I hadn't been more observant, my pocketbook would have disappeared.

It was a well orchestrated dance of a family that held up the line at security scanning with problems "understanding" what needed to be placed on the x-ray belt.. The line slowly built up behind them.

When the family went through the scanner, the last member apparently forgot something was in his pocket which caused those of us behind him to bunch up while our items on the belt passed through the x-ray machine and out the other side. By the time I was through and could take my turn to pick up my belonging, my purse was no where to be seen.

After a quick question to make sure I my purse wasn't somehow hung up in the X-ray. I started yelling for security that my purse had been stolen and for everyone to stop.

Meanwhile, the family that has caused the backup and distraction were walking toward the exit into the check in hall. The port person at that exit stopped everyone and turned people back toward the security scanning point.

My purse was being carried causally by the older teenager of the group.

I have to say port security's response was immediate. My purse was returned to me and the last I saw of the family, both port security and a NOLA police officer were taking them to an area where they were to be searched to see if anything else might have been  "mistakenly" picked up during their progress through the embarkation line.

Wow - what an experience!  So glad you were quick to yell out and that security responded so fast.  Just goes to remind everyone that you are on vacation with strangers and perhaps not everyone is an honest person.

17 hours ago, gizfish said:

Instead of putting your home address in you luggage, just stick a business card in it.  Your contact info is there, and your personal info is not.

I have used this method for many years. I have added my cell phone number to the card.

I am actually four years retired now, but if someone should contact my previous employer instead of me they would take the luggage or contact me. 

I have not looked at all 6 pages but you should use some kind of airtag if you have an iPhone or a Tile or Samsung tag.  Any one of them will allow you to keep track of your bags.  Very cheap insurance to make sure you know where your bags are located.  We have had bags delivered to a totally wrong cabin on the other side of the ship.  Using the find my Airtag app made it very simple to track down our bags.

I stopped putting my address on the luggage tag, but do have the phone and email. Another thing I do is use my travel insurance's tags that they give me so that if the luggage is found, they can call AIG with the tag ID number and it would get back to me. 

I also use a specific Duck brand sprakly craft tape on my luggage, so that I can tell it's ours, as well as the neon handle wraps.

On 3/14/2024 at 6:31 AM, DominicAUS said:

What airlines? I’ve travelled extensively and never had an airline ensure I have my address on my luggage!!! 
the only time you give an address is at booking stage. 

Check in would be a hot mess if the agents were making sure everyone had their address on their bags! They have enough to do check and do than check an address.

Plus most check in agents are 3rd party contractors. 

Hmmmm. I differ to your expertise. I only fly 3-4 R/T per month and 200,000 - 300,000 miles a year. I almost always check a bag because we are allowed 3 bags each up to 70 lbs each for free. And “know” the rules and questions that I will be asked. We almost always fly first class because the airlines give us free upgrades. Because of our status, we have a lifetime membership to the airline lounges, so like the Haven, we avoid the general population. 

• Haha 4

On 3/10/2024 at 9:20 AM, G-DawgMN said:

What kind of compassion? They aren’t responsible for the port facility at all. You stated you have insurance so deal with it that way. Not sure why a warm hug or apology for something out of their control would be helpful. 

"We're sorry that happened to you, thanks for informing us and we'll inform the port authority this is unacceptable" would go a long way in this case.  Lack of compassion and caring isn't the best way to keep customers coming back. 

2 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

"We're sorry that happened to you, thanks for informing us and we'll inform the port authority this is unacceptable" would go a long way in this case.  Lack of compassion and caring isn't the best way to keep customers coming back. 

We don't know what the response was so how can you assume something similar was said? They might not have said sorry ( if they apologize that implies liability). They have a process that the OP should have followed for lost luggage.

It sounds like they already filed against travel insurance so it should be covered to whatever limits they offer. I'm surprised they didn't bring up if the travel insurance company was sympathetic or not also.

I'm more impressed with action on how to fix a problem vs. someone reading platitudes off a script. In this case there's NCL and Travel Insurance forms to fill out.

39 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Hmmmm. I differ to your expertise. I only fly 3-4 R/T per month and 200,000 - 300,000 miles a year. I almost always check a bag because we are allowed 3 bags each up to 70 lbs each for free. And “know” the rules and questions that I will be asked. We almost always fly first class because the airlines give us free upgrades. Because of our status, we have a lifetime membership to the airline lounges, so like the Haven, we avoid the general population. 

That’s all fine and dandy but it still doesn’t tell us which airline requires a luggage tag with an address to check it. I know that neither Delta nor American has such a requirement. So, do tell, which airline?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, zqvol said:

That’s all fine and dandy but it still doesn’t tell us which airline requires a luggage tag with an address to check it. I know that neither Delta nor American has such a requirement. So, do tell, which airline?

I know Delta has a bin of paper tags at the luggage check in but I don’t know if they require them. 

10 minutes ago, G-DawgMN said:

I know Delta has a bin of paper tags at the luggage check in but I don’t know if they require them. 

No, they don’t.  They will put the UPC tag on checked baggage.  Still a good idea to put your contact info on or in the luggage.  That way, if the UPC code gets ripped off, there’s another way for them to find you and join you back with your luggage!