Stolen Luggage

2 hours ago, mugtech said:

This is why we carry our luggage off the ship.

Also agree.  Numerous reasons…

-I always know where my luggage is (with me)

-I never (well, almost never) pack more than I can fit in a roll aboard and a back pack (one deviation was when I had a large bag with me when I spent a month in Europe and nearly 2 weeks on the NCL Epic).

-no crazy baggage handlers to lose or break my luggage 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I like those straps.  Thanks for the link!

You are welcome

I like to think when TSA see's them they will pass on making a random luggage check Lol. They are great if you are like me and overstuff your checked luggage

Edited by Laszlo
  • Haha 1

Just a tip for everyone to help with the search or insurance claim.  I like to take photos or videos of my luggage and contents just prior to packing.

Pictures of the luggage are invaluable when describing your luggage.  Sometimes airport personnel (especially international) have a storage room for unclaimed luggage to which passengers may or may not be granted access.

I have multiple sets of luggage….so did I pack the blue Nautica with white trim or yellow trim, or maybe the black Samsonsite?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, logan25 said:

Just a tip for everyone to help with the search or insurance claim.  I like to take photos or videos of my luggage and contents just prior to packing.

Pictures of the luggage are invaluable when describing your luggage.  Sometimes airport personnel (especially international) have a storage room for unclaimed luggage to which passengers may or may not be granted access.

I have multiple sets of luggage….so did I pack the blue Nautica with white trim or yellow trim, or maybe the black Samsonsite?

Great advice.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

There is zero basis for this claim. None. 

A thief would not be rummaging through a bag in baggage claim. They would take it outside and pop the lock with a pair of pliers. A lock of any type has zero deterrence. 

it's well established that you've found no value in the vibe with no basis... and now you've added luggage locks, too?

a thief would not be rummaging through a bag in baggage claim? you're probably right about that. they would take it outside? because the outside is... what? somehow less crowded than the terminal? the outside has no security cameras? security personnel? baggage porters? arriving and departing passengers?

in your fantasy, a thief would take a locked bag and then a small pair of pliers and then proceed, in full view of dozens or hundreds of people (including - potentially - the arriving passenger whose bag was just stolen) to open the bag and rifle through the contents taking what he needs and discarding the rest?

that's just absurd... also he'd probably need a wire cutter, which is much heavier than  a pair of pliers. (by the way, i removed a lock from one of my bags once when the mechanism failed and it took me nearly 20 minutes to cut through the lock.) most thieves would simply slice open a locked fabric bag. all of this would likely take place far from public view.

frankly, there is no clear consensus from the internet peanut gallery on whether locks make bags more appealing or not. (but at least one study has shown that your car, however, is far more likely to be vandalized or stolen if left unlocked.) you'll find about as many people who say to lock your bags as those who don't. some think, as i do, that unlocked bags are far more appealing to thieves because they are hassle-free. others believe the lock itself makes the bag more appealing because, they suggest, there must be something valuable in the bag if somebody went through the effort to lock it. but the majority of folks know not to keep valuables in their bags... nobody is putting expensive jewelry or camera equipment in their checked bags. what thieves are likely to find are clothes and toiletries and the odd souvenir.

by the way, another advantage to locked bags is to provide a deterrent to baggage handlers. at some airports, theft among baggage handlers is a very big problem. same as with baggage thieves at the carousel... all things being equal, baggage handlers won't mess with locked bags... they want to get in with no muss and no fuss. unlocked bags provide opportunities that locked bags do not.

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Would the air tags have made any difference?

Could have, would have found out if it was still in the cruise terminal or not. If it was still pretty close I would have had a general direction where it was. No matter what I could do I would know where it was. 

• Like 2

As another bit of advice (it's free, so you know it's worth)....Always keep your valuables, money, meds with you in a back pack or roll aboard.  Never put any of that in checked luggage in case it gets lost (as happened to the OP).

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, UKstages said:

by the way, another advantage to locked bags is to provide a deterrent to baggage handlers. at some airports, theft among baggage handlers is a very big problem. same as with baggage thieves at the carousel... all things being equal, baggage handlers won't mess with locked bags... they want to get in with no muss and no fuss. unlocked bags provide opportunities that locked bags do not.

This is the primary reason I lock my bags! Then I add a luggage strap - which serves as a possible deterrent for casual thieves, hopefully would help keep my over-stuffed suitcase from bursting, and easy to ID.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, logan25 said:

And I thought I was the only person who takes picture of our check luggage Lol

I do it right before I give it to a porter. I also make sure I have a copy of our plans inside the luggage and I use two luggage tags (ours) and I also put on two of NCL luggage tags on each bag. Maybe its overkill but knock on wood haven't had an issue yet.

Cross pack and make sure any meds you take, electronics, camera etc.... stay with you in a carry on and or backpack. Yes I'm one of those people you see rolling there carry on onto the ship

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 2

How do you know your missing bag even made it off the ship?  You put it in the corridor the night before and assumed it would naturally find it's way to the exit hall.  Perhaps it fell by the wayside aboard ship or some nefarious sole snatched it and took it back to their cabin to examine.  

5 hours ago, logan25 said:

This is what I do.  I keep a special folder of important travel documentation on my phone.  I have a subfolder there with pictures of all luggage.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Totally agree with using a luggage strap. Having a missing bag is always a concern but it wouldn't be easy for us to shlep our bags off the ship. So, we started out with a colorful bow and smart tags and later added these eye-catching luggage straps that make it really easy to spot our bags in the crowd. Checking out those luggage handle wraps, too! Oh, and we also take a photo of our bags before we leave for the port or airport.

Amazon has a wide variety of colorful luggage straps. These are the ones we have: 

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Travel-Luggage-Suitcase-Accessories/dp/B07KLQCBNJ/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3QTTO3IRUYS33&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.DTwaoEn9amQcdMGaoPOJWk2EIN7w8HB1WGLotFJCRJV6lbHeBfqC0wjAx41JK00CjE76pO-x7ZrfaLBg1T-Z4MbtP2Aa9gM1FpvwTSunvBDnxZsJEmeY6QTNoNROqM4pPoKJX7WntJ8oDxZ9hhrAr7yhHIre1dqUGJdsZVk25pHWNFMGD3k-mNaLTSyToahWcitd8XTnQ-YiCkDFFol72Mlrd60riIPwNfaENTfUOTYBbWINr4O5qvJM1R0FJ-LiS2D4HWbx6eqJqMeyCHBog92zJsQFkMeS0b2Zn9edJzc.AY-uha-kVdqTdiShVP9tLTB6oeWwpOXncdTtCux1RzA&dib_tag=se&keywords=colorful%2Bluggage%2Bstraps&qid=1710189362&sprefix=colorful%2Bluggage%2Bstraps%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-6&th=1

LUGGAGE.jpg

Edited by NikiPinkston
Add photo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NikiPinkston said:

Totally agree with using a luggage strap. Having a missing bag is always a concern but it wouldn't be easy for us to shlep our bags off the ship. So, we started out with a colorful bow and smart tags and later added these eye-catching luggage straps that make it really easy to spot our bags in the crowd. Checking out those luggage handle wraps, too! Oh, and we also take a photo of our bags before we leave for the port or airport.

Amazon has a wide variety of colorful luggage straps. These are the ones we have: 

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Travel-Luggage-Suitcase-Accessories/dp/B07KLQCBNJ/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3QTTO3IRUYS33&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.DTwaoEn9amQcdMGaoPOJWk2EIN7w8HB1WGLotFJCRJV6lbHeBfqC0wjAx41JK00CjE76pO-x7ZrfaLBg1T-Z4MbtP2Aa9gM1FpvwTSunvBDnxZsJEmeY6QTNoNROqM4pPoKJX7WntJ8oDxZ9hhrAr7yhHIre1dqUGJdsZVk25pHWNFMGD3k-mNaLTSyToahWcitd8XTnQ-YiCkDFFol72Mlrd60riIPwNfaENTfUOTYBbWINr4O5qvJM1R0FJ-LiS2D4HWbx6eqJqMeyCHBog92zJsQFkMeS0b2Zn9edJzc.AY-uha-kVdqTdiShVP9tLTB6oeWwpOXncdTtCux1RzA&dib_tag=se&keywords=colorful%2Bluggage%2Bstraps&qid=1710189362&sprefix=colorful%2Bluggage%2Bstraps%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-6&th=1

LUGGAGE.jpg

Hardsided luggage makes if far easier to find your luggage.

From watching a log of baggage carousels, most shop for luggage at Walmart and buy the black luggage.

We have hard sided blue and crimson luggage.  Really stands out.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

From watching a log of baggage carousels, most shop for luggage at Walmart and buy the black luggage.

I know people who spray paint their initials on both sides of their luggage with safety orange. Makes them stick right out.   

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Yes, totally agree. Our luggage looks black in the photo, but it's also blue, although I would like crimson, better!

10 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Bingo

We have only left our luggage out twice on 14 cruises, thankfully I have very large luggage straps with our initials on them and I use AirTags 

These are the straps I use....  https://amzn.to/3T9P7w5

Those are the straps I use on my bag too. Same color so don't go "stealing" my bag!:)

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Andoria said:

Those are the straps I use on my bag too. Same color so don't go "stealing" my bag!:)

We have the same straps. Makes it so much easier to find our luggage in the terminal. We take the strap off one of our smaller bags and use it to strap two small bags together, to make it easier to roll them to the car or shuttle.

I was a little sad to see the same straps on other peoples’ luggage in the terminal!  Unique was nice for a couple of years. 

IMG_3410.jpeg

IMG_1929.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jimsig said:

I know people who spray paint their initials on both sides of their luggage with safety orange. Makes them stick right out.   

I haven't flown anywhere or cruised since 2019, but I think I'm going to get some stickers to put on my luggage for my trip to Key West next month and my 2025 cruise.

• Like 2