Stolen Luggage

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

We have the same straps. Makes it so much easier to find our luggage in the terminal. We take the strap off one of our smaller bags and use it to strap two small bags together, to make it easier to roll them to the car or shuttle.

I was a little sad to see the same straps on other peoples’ luggage in the terminal!  Unique was nice for a couple of years. 

IMG_3410.jpeg

I have so many stickers on our luggage it makes my cringe Lol

image.thumb.jpeg.a987a8b48b6303b6c4a22c485b4da273.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, olemissreb said:

I haven't flown anywhere or cruised since 2019, but I think I'm going to get some stickers to put on my luggage for my trip to Key West next month and my 2025 cruise.

See Post Above Lol

image.thumb.jpeg.08596169a773f6463c4c3671ab6fb4e1.jpeg

• Haha 2

You really want to make your luggage distinctive, put on a bumper sticker that says Callicoon Center Band. 

(Google is your friend if you want to know more about the Callicoon Center Band. My DW has played flute with them since 2001. Many have been in much longer, though I do not believe any are still there from their founding in the 1930s.)

22 hours ago, jimsig said:

I know people who spray paint their initials on both sides of their luggage with safety orange. Makes them stick right out.   

We use colourful duct tape to put large initials on our luggage.  I wasn't sure it would stay stuck on but it is still there after at least 10 trips.  Sure makes it easy to differentiate our cases from others. 

• Like 2

On 3/10/2024 at 3:19 PM, BoatSkipper said:

NCL take control of the luggage the night before so they do have a duty of care.

No they don`t.

It is clearly stated in their general terms that they are no liable for any lost or stolen luggage during disembarkation process. It is clearly your risk if you let them bring your luggage to the arrivals hall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zignewt said:

We use colourful duct tape to put large initials on our luggage.  I wasn't sure it would stay stuck on but it is still there after at least 10 trips.  Sure makes it easy to differentiate our cases from others. 

My fluorescent orange suitcase (that I got at a thrift store for $10 bucks or so) really stands out!!  Then there's the one with zebra stripes...

Put the green strap around it (yea, mine are green too) and nobody is gonna mistake it for theirs!

On 3/10/2024 at 8:54 AM, BoatSkipper said:

We recently did a cruise from and back to New Orleans.

One of our cases was stolen from the baggage arrivals hall.  It's very easy for someone to just pick a case and walk out with it. 

Our travel insurance company have been great but NCL terrible.  You have to do everything through on line forms and they will not talk to you.  One post cruise comments form requires you to say you will not get compensation from elsewhere,  or it won't submit the form,  even if you are not looking for compensation, just compassion.

Post cruise customer care is non existent.

Had anyone else had cases stolen from baggage arrival halls?

Have you received your luggage yet?

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 6:08 PM, ZoeyVictoria said:

We have the same straps. Makes it so much easier to find our luggage in the terminal. We take the strap off one of our smaller bags and use it to strap two small bags together, to make it easier to roll them to the car or shuttle.

I was a little sad to see the same straps on other peoples’ luggage in the terminal!  Unique was nice for a couple of years. 

IMG_3410.jpeg

The straps are o.k. so long as they are tightly secured. The bows, on the other hand, pose the risk of getting caught in airport high speed baggage handling equipment maybe resulting in the handles being ripped off. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

The straps are o.k. so long as they are tightly secured. The bows, on the other hand, pose the risk of getting caught in airport high speed baggage handling equipment maybe resulting in the handles being ripped off. 

My luggage has never seen the inside of an airport. I haven’t flown since 2014 😂

We put colorful duck tape on our luggage for recognition.

Since there is no luggage verification system at pier when leaving, luggage has walked off and obviously not by its owner and not by mistake.  

7 minutes ago, sunshine55 said:

Since there is no luggage verification system at pier when leaving, luggage has walked off and obviously not by its owner and not by mistake.  

No. One of three things has happened.

1) it is lost (sitting in the terminal, etc)

2) someone took it BY MISTAKE

3) someone stole it

Or you could become the Jack Reacher of cruising, just hand wash your clothing every night and wear the same every day.  An alternative is to buy new clothing in a port and throw the old stuff out or give it to a charity.  No luggage,  no problem.

• Haha 3

On 3/11/2024 at 2:47 PM, Baron Barracuda said:

How do you know your missing bag even made it off the ship?  You put it in the corridor the night before and assumed it would naturally find its way to the exit hall.  Perhaps it fell by the wayside aboard ship or some nefarious sole snatched it and took it back to their cabin to examine.  

Then there is the possibility the bag fell off the ship into the water as they were unloading bags.  We saw that happen at a port where 5-7 bags went in the water.  The crew did not seem too upset about it and we did not see them fish the bags out while we were watching.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 7:35 PM, Laszlo said:

I have so many stickers on our luggage it makes my cringe Lol

image.thumb.jpeg.a987a8b48b6303b6c4a22c485b4da273.jpeg

I have bright neon pink duct tape about a foot long doubled over as a luggage tag and written on both sides in black sharpie is "This A'int Yours!"

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 12:41 PM, cruiseaholic78 said:

I have been told never to add your address to your luggage label as it is possible that thieves will also know that your house is empty!

They will make it empty!

10 hours ago, kirtihk said:

They will make it empty!

Instead of putting your home address in you luggage, just stick a business card in it.  Your contact info is there, and your personal info is not.

On 3/11/2024 at 6:42 AM, BirdTravels said:

Many airlines will not accept luggage without an external address. 

What airlines? I’ve travelled extensively and never had an airline ensure I have my address on my luggage!!! 
the only time you give an address is at booking stage. 

Check in would be a hot mess if the agents were making sure everyone had their address on their bags! They have enough to do check and do than check an address.

Plus most check in agents are 3rd party contractors. 

15 hours ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

So did you ever locate your MISSING luggage?

I think OP has long left the building.  A few things could have happened.  First, the port authority found their luggage and contacted them (if they had any sort of contact info on or in their luggage).

2nd, they filed an insurance claim and already got a check.

3rd, filled out the forms NCL provided and are awaiting....I don't know....something.  But, if they got an insurance claim, they can't double dip and file anothe claim (at least no payment for a 2nd claim).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

I think OP has long left the building.  A few things could have happened.  First, the port authority found their luggage and contacted them (if they had any sort of contact info on or in their luggage).

3rd, filled out the forms NCL provided and are awaiting....I don't know....something.  But, if they got an insurance claim, they can't double dip and file anothe claim (at least no payment for a 2nd claim).

Or 4, they got tired of the discussion because they weren't getting enough sympathy and went their own way.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

4th, the most likely, OP didn't get the compassion here that OP desired.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

4th, the most likely, OP didn't get the compassion here that OP desired.

Whadya mean?  You and I are the most compassionate people in this thread? 😉

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, gizfish said:

Instead of putting your home address in you luggage, just stick a business card in it.  Your contact info is there, and your personal info is not.

If you still work…lol😊

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, DominicAUS said:

What airlines? I’ve travelled extensively and never had an airline ensure I have my address on my luggage!!! 
the only time you give an address is at booking stage. 

There was a time,  years ago, when the ticket agents did check to ensure name tags were on all checked bags.