Stolen Luggage

We recently did a cruise from and back to New Orleans.

One of our cases was stolen from the baggage arrivals hall.  It's very easy for someone to just pick a case and walk out with it. 

Our travel insurance company have been great but NCL terrible.  You have to do everything through on line forms and they will not talk to you.  One post cruise comments form requires you to say you will not get compensation from elsewhere,  or it won't submit the form,  even if you are not looking for compensation, just compassion.

Post cruise customer care is non existent.

Had anyone else had cases stolen from baggage arrival halls?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry this happened to you.

I like to think it was the case of missing identity--"many bags look alike"

In 40+ cruises in 20 years, no issues. I do put funky colored ribbons on to help ID ours.

Glad your travel insurance is being helpful.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

in most cases, bags are not "stolen," but taken mistakenly by somebody who has a very similar bag. it would be rare to steal a bag from an arrivals hall, because there is too much liability in walking through customs with unknown goods. the "thief" could be responsible for whatever is in there. and if there is nothing untoward in the bag, they still could be nabbed as a thief if they are unfamiliar with the contents of the bag. that being said, few people are ever stopped as they pass through the hall, but there is still a risk and it's one that criminals do not want to take.

i can't help you navigate the messy compensation process and after-cruise experience you're going through and i sympathize. but i can offer a few tips for the future. have a unique identifier on your bag... some people use brightly colored pom poms or string. or brightly colored luggage tags. or a unique luggage strap. i use a luggage strap and also have a playful luggage tag that says "this is not your bag!"

use TSA-approved locks on your bag, making your bag less desirable for a genuine thief. place an apple air tag or other portable GPS tracking device in your luggage to help you retrieve it. use a "lost and found smart QR code tag, which doesn't tell you where your bag is, but allows anybody who finds it (or walks away with it mistakenly) to scan the code and be put in touch with you. choose a luggage color other than black... most bags are black! and use inexpensive luggage.. if your bag looks like it cost $800, it's more likely to be stolen.  use NCL's "self-assist" disembarkation scheme which allows you to walk off the ship with your luggage (best if you have no mobility issues and have only one bag and a carry on.) 

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, BoatSkipper said:

One of our cases was stolen from the baggage arrivals hall.  It's very easy for someone to just pick a case and walk out with it. 

Our travel insurance company have been great but NCL terrible.  You have to do everything through on line forms and they will not talk to you.  One post cruise comments form requires you to say you will not get compensation from elsewhere,  or it won't submit the form,  even if you are not looking for compensation, just compassion.

I have had it happen twice.  Neither time was it "stolen", per se.  It was just a mix up where my bag looked like someone else's.  It was always returned to me after being tracked down.  I always have some form of how to contact me in and/or on my luggage.  Plus, I use Apple Tags on my luggage to track where it's at.  Very helpful.

Compassion for mixed up, lost, stolen luggage?  Ummmm...didn't really care nor expect compassion.  I just wanted to find my luggage.  If it was truly stolen, that's a crime that you need to file with the New Orleans Police Dept.  If there was anything of value, you need to file with your insurance company to recover any losses.

I don't think NCL has anything to do with the port authority facilities.  

Your insurance company is trying to make sure you won't "double dip" on any of your claims.  That's the reason they are asking if you're getting compensation from somewhere else.

Again, few if any people want to steal others' dirty clothing.  My guess is someone took your luggage by mistake.  If I were you, and you had some form of ID in your luggage, I'd hope someone would contact you to return it.

Your cruise is over.  You need NCL to do what, exactly?  Do you think they know who took it?  Do you want a letter from them stating they're sorry it happened?

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 9

It was clearly stolen as if it had been mistaken identity another similar case would have been left behind and it wasn't.  Nor was a case returned.

I am sure it is rare. Which is why we thought NCL would st m show some compassion

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I have had it happen twice.  Neither time was it "stolen", per se.  It was just a mix up where my bag looked like someone else's.  It was always returned to me after being tracked down.  I always have some form of how to contact me in and/or on my luggage.  Plus, I use Apple Tags on my luggage to track where it's at.  Very helpful.

Compassion for mixed up, lost, stolen luggage?  Ummmm...didn't really care nor expect compassion.  I just wanted to find my luggage.  If it was truly stolen, that's a crime that you need to file with the New Orleans Police Dept.  If there was anything of value, you need to file with your insurance company to recover any losses.

I don't think NCL has anything to do with the port authority facilities.  

Again, few if any people want to steal others' dirty clothing.  My guess is someone took your luggage by mistake.  If I were you, and you had some form of ID in your luggage, I'd hope someone would contact you to return it.

Your cruise is over.  You need NCL to do what, exactly?  Do you think they know who took it?  Do you want a letter from them stating they're sorry it happened?

We have id in and outside the bag.  NCL take control of the luggage the night before so they do have a duty of care.  It is the fact they will not talk to you post cruise that is annoying.  If course we reported to the police and yes we have insurance,  it is NCLs unwillingness to even have a discussion that is annoying. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BoatSkipper said:

It was clearly stolen as if it had been mistaken identity another similar case would have been left behind and it wasn't.  Nor was a case returned.

I am sure it is rare. Which is why we thought NCL would st m show some compassion

So, you joined CC and created this thread just to complain that NCL didn't give you sufficient compassion.  Really?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, BoatSkipper said:

What kind of compassion? They aren’t responsible for the port facility at all. You stated you have insurance so deal with it that way. Not sure why a warm hug or apology for something out of their control would be helpful. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, BoatSkipper said:

We have id in and outside the bag.  NCL take control of the luggage the night before so they do have a duty of care.  It is the fact they will not talk to you post cruise that is annoying.  If course we reported to the police and yes we have insurance,  it is NCLs unwillingness to even have a discussion that is annoying. 

OK...you did all the right things.  Again, what do you want NCL to say to you?  

6 minutes ago, UKstages said:

in most cases, bags are not "stolen," but taken mistakenly by somebody who has a very similar bag. it would be rare to steal a bag from an arrivals hall, because there is too much liability in walking through customs with unknown goods. the "thief" could be responsible for whatever is in there. and if there is nothing untoward in the bag, they still could be nabbed as a thief if they are unfamiliar with the contents of the bag. that being said, few people are ever stopped as they pass through the hall, but there is still a risk and it's one that criminals do not want to take.

i can't help you navigate the messy compensation process and after-cruise experience you're going through and i sympathize. but i can offer a few tips for the future. have a unique identifier on your bag... some people use brightly colored pom poms or string. or brightly colored luggage tags. or a unique luggage strap. i use a luggage strap and also have a playful luggage tag that says "this is not your bag!"

use TSA-approved locks on your bag, making your bag less desirable for a genuine thief. place an apple air tag or other portable GPS tracking device in your luggage to help you retrieve it. use a "lost and found smart QR code tag, which doesn't tell you where your bag is, but allows anybody who finds it (or walks away with it mistakenly) to scan the code and be put in touch with you. use NCL's "self-assist" disembarkation scheme which allows you to walk off the ship with your luggage (best if you have no mobility issues and have only one bag and a carry on.) 

Other than Airtags and walking of with it ourselves we do all that. We now have samsung tags. If it had been a mistake another bag would have been left,  it was not,  and it would have been returned or they would have contacted us,  none of that happened

1 minute ago, BoatSkipper said:

If it had been a mistake another bag would have been left,  it was not,  and it would have been returned or they would have contacted us,  none of that happened

well, again, it is extremely unlikely that the bag was stolen, even as it is remotely possible that it was.

i can think of several scenarios under which another similar bag might not have been left behind, so i don't think that definitively proves that your bag was stolen.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BoatSkipper said:

No,  I was already in CC. If you look I asked had other people bag it happen. I think its rare,  just wanted to see if people did have bags totally go missing in the arrivals hall. And yes I do think NCL should care

You only have a few posts.  And, CC, as of 9:27 today, says you joined just 40 minutes ago.  It appears you did join just to start this thread and to complain that NCL didn't show sufficient compassion.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, UKstages said:

well, again, it is extremely unlikely that the bag was stolen, even as it is remotely possible that it was.

i can think of several scenarios under which another similar bag might not have been left behind, so i don't think that definitively proves that your bag was stolen.

Will is not been returned so I'm some shape or firm its stolen

Posted (edited)

There are hundreds of bags left in the port area after everyone has disembarked.  Did they forget them?  Anyway, it's pretty common and I don't think anyone purposely steals another's bag.  Personally, I want "my stuff", not someone else's.

OP...if you had your Apple /Samsung Tag in your luggage, where did it end up? I'd start there to find it.

Someone, somewhere is looking in the luggage..."wait a minute, there aren't my knickers?".

Edited by graphicguy
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, BoatSkipper said:

You have to do everything through on line forms and they will not talk to you.

Well, that isn't a bug, it's a feature. 

The way they handle these things causes everything to be in writing. Thus there is no misunderstanding, no misquoting, no "he said, she said". This also helps to avoid the inevitable arguments from people who let their emotions/drama take control of the situation. Everything is documented. The folks you want to talk to aren't in New Orleans...they are in Miami and have nothing to do with the ship, the terminal, or the movement of luggage. They don't even investigate...they only take information and pass it on. They can't help you or answer questions during a conversation.

You got to talk with people at the terminal, right? Why the need to talk to more people?

11 minutes ago, BoatSkipper said:

Will is not been returned so I'm some shape or firm its stolen

If so, then you should have reported it to a) US Customs, b) Port Security Personnel, and c) the New Orleans Police Department. All of those will be far more helpful than Cruise Critic, which is NOT on the list of places to report stolen items. (FWIW...the nice folks that run this website will only communicate with you online in written form...no phone calls...just like NCL.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On several occasions I couldn't find a bag in the luggage area.

Each time I found it, but on each occasion, it was a problem with someone misidentifying the color tag with another color tag that might look identical in low light conditions of early morning.

Examples of mix up in color tags: red/purple, blue/green, red/orange.

There are also times when the luggage tags have been torn off the bag and the bags are kept separately until someone comes looking.

On the other hand, I had someone attempt to steal my pocketbook while going through security to board the ship.

It was skillfully done and if I hadn't been more observant, my pocketbook would have disappeared.

It was a well orchestrated dance of a family that held up the line at security scanning with problems "understanding" what needed to be placed on the x-ray belt.. The line slowly built up behind them.

When the family went through the scanner, the last member apparently forgot something was in his pocket which caused those of us behind him to bunch up while our items on the belt passed through the x-ray machine and out the other side. By the time I was through and could take my turn to pick up my belonging, my purse was no where to be seen.

After a quick question to make sure I my purse wasn't somehow hung up in the X-ray. I started yelling for security that my purse had been stolen and for everyone to stop.

Meanwhile, the family that has caused the backup and distraction were walking toward the exit into the check in hall. The port person at that exit stopped everyone and turned people back toward the security scanning point.

My purse was being carried causally by the older teenager of the group.

I have to say port security's response was immediate. My purse was returned to me and the last I saw of the family, both port security and a NOLA police officer were taking them to an area where they were to be searched to see if anything else might have been  "mistakenly" picked up during their progress through the embarkation line.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

OP...in all seriousness, it is frustrating when your bag(s) get lost or mistaken.  I don't know if you're still at the port, but if you are, look at every area where there is luggage, not just your area.  I've seen people take luggage, realize it's not theirs and just dropping it wherever, with not thought of putting it back where it's supposed to be.

Like in the U.K., where you're from, dealing with local gov't agencies can be frustrating.  

There are many scenarios how your luggage was mistaken.  Could be the person who mistakenly took your luggage doesn't even want to go through the hassle of sending it bak to you.  And, they're having the same conversation as you are right now because they want their own luggage.

I don't think NCL can help you.  They want your luggage even less than whomever has it now.

Take the insurance money.  Buy some new clothes and/or jewelry to replace what you lost.  This is the exact scenario insurance is for.

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, BoatSkipper said:

52 minutes ago, BoatSkipper said:

It was clearly stolen as if it had been mistaken identity another similar case would have been left behind and it wasn't.  Nor was a case returned. I am sure it is rare. Which is why we thought NCL would st m show some compassion

Did you search all of the baggage claim areas for a mis-filed bag?

Did you search the claim area for bags where tags fell off/ripped off?

What is the status of your Lost and Found claim to the port (bags not displayed in the right area or don't make it to the area)?

What is the status of your Lost and Found claim to NCL (bags left on ship by accident, or bags sent back to the ship by port personnel by accident)?

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Homosassa...I had something similar at the Marseille cruise port.  Only, I thought I'd be smart and carry everything in a "sling bag" thinking no one would be so brazen as to try to take it slinged (slanged?) over my shoulder.  

While that may be true in some areas, reboarding the ship from an excursion, typical line to have items scanned, I had to take off my pack and send it through the X-ray.  Of course, sitting it on the belt, the person in front of me would not go through the body scanner, blocking me from going through while my pack did make it through.  This was a coordinated effort by two older teens.  Fortunately, I kept me eye on the pack and saw a teen grab it and head to the elevators.  

I yelled loudly that he had my pack.  He didn't turn around but tried to head towards the stairs.  Security was pretty quick in getting after him and grabbing both of his arms.  He claimed the bag was his, until they asked him for ID.  His ID did not look anything like my driver's license in the pack.  This was on MSC.

So, there are thieves out there.  STealling random luggage out of the port area is not a likely scenario.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BoatSkipper said:

LOL stolen....  Someone just probably picked up the wrong bag.  OF COURSE they will require you to say you wonr get compensation elsewhere.  It woudl actually be FRAUD and illegal for you to do so.  That double dipping.  Why even fill out the form if all you want is 'compassion", it is a CLAIM form.  Your entire post makes no sense at all.

Luggage theft happens all the time at airports.  Why do you think it is unlikely that it happened to OP?  Heck, it could haven fallen off the luggage cart being transported from ship to arrivals warehouse.  There maybe a homeless person with some brand new duds, a razor AND shaving cream…even deodorant and some fine smelling cologne.  Regardless of how it went missing, it is gone, has not been returned or recovered, and can be considered stolen from the perspective of the OP.  His post is a reminder to all of us who travel to safeguard our belongings at all times.  Not everyone is honest.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BoatSkipper said:

What conversation do you want them to have.  Your insurnace is making you whole.  There is nothing for NCL, the port, or anyone else to do at this point.  The matter is settled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Luggage theft happens all the time at airports.  Why do you think it is unlikely that it happened to OP?  Heck, it could haven fallen off the luggage cart being transported from ship to arrivals warehouse.  There maybe a homeless person with some brand new duds, a razor AND shaving cream…even deodorant and some fine smelling cologne.  Regardless of how it went missing, it is gone, has not been returned or recovered, and can be considered stolen from the perspective of the OP.  His post is a reminder to all of us who travel to safeguard our belongings at all times.  Not everyone is honest.

Those are certainly other scenarios.  But, I’m a big believer in most likely possibilities when it comes to these sort of situations.  

Most likely it was taken by someone who thought it was their bag.  

OP, again where does your location tag say it is located?

If, as you say, you want NCL to make you feel better, well, there are other issues at play that no one here is qualified to address!

Edited by graphicguy