Cruise Critic Sailing Aboard Sun Princess This Week

Hi everyone,

Cruise Critic is sailing aboard Sun Princess this week on the ship's second voyage. We're on for a quick jaunt between Barcelona and Athens and while there are many helpful and exhaustive threads here on Sun Princess already, we wanted to pass along our first coverage from this sailing, a Photo Tour of many of the ship's public areas and accommodation spaces.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/photos-of-sun-princess

Any questions, do ask - happy to try to answer!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)

Curious if Park19 has opened yet. And how much does it cost?

Editing to add I just saw in the article it's still closed. But would like to know costs, if you're able to find out. 

Edited by GK95
Added context
  • Like 1

I'll look into the costs for Park19. To add here for all, Princess has communicated expected opening dates for various venues. They are:

• Dome shows will begin on March 19, 2024

• Arena shows will begin rolling out on March 29

• Park19 is open, minus the ropes course, which will be completed March 29, and RollGlider, which will be done on April 27.

• Spellbound is being tested on this voyage; it should be operational by March 19, 2024.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, birdiebill said:

Staterooms on deck ten in the sphere reported hearing loud noise from the Piazza dance parties late at night.  Is that still a concern?

I can find out; I'm all the way forward on a higher deck and haven't heard any noise to speak of.

15 hours ago, NEGeekymama said:

Would love pictures of the kids club areas, specifically for the 8-12 year old range (our youngest will be 11 when we cruise next year). 

I was able to check out Firefly Park, for ages 0-6, on embarkation day but didn't make it to the 8-12 or teens clubs. They're pretty well closed off to random people walking through at this point, but I'll see if I can set up a time to view them.

This probably doesn't help much, but here's Firefly Park:

SunPrincess_fireflypark-02394.jpg

SunPrincess_fireflypark-02399.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Questions we need answers on:

(Please only Cruise Critic provide answers to these. We have had conflicting information about the below issues which is why I would like CC to find out the definitive answers.)

Sanctuary:

-Need clarity on how booking is managed. Can suite guests access at anytime without a reservation? How do non-suite guests reserve space here and do they get a specific lounger when they reserve?

-Need confirmation of pricing for port and sea days for non-suite guests entry and cabanas.

-The aft elevator appears to be open to everyone and takes you right into the Sanctuary. How are they controlling access with that?

-Are there plans to add umbrellas or more cushioned loungers to the space?

-Is it adults only or are kids who are in suites allowed to use this space?

Signature Restaurant:

-Is the menu the same as MDR? If it is mostly the same what are the differences between the two menus? 

Enclave:

-Can you confirm if suite guests get free access to this area?

Crooners:

-We are hearing that they plan to turn this into an Elite Lounge on an upcoming sailing. Can you get clarity on what this means. Is it certain hours that the bar will be restricted to Elite guests? If so what hours would those be?

Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CruiseCriticAaron said:

I was able to check out Firefly Park, for ages 0-6, on embarkation day but didn't make it to the 8-12 or teens clubs. They're pretty well closed off to random people walking through at this point, but I'll see if I can set up a time to view them.

This probably doesn't help much, but here's Firefly Park:

SunPrincess_fireflypark-02394.jpg

SunPrincess_fireflypark-02399.jpg

I appreciate it! I found a ship tour video yesterday that included a quick glimpse of Neon Grove, so that helped for now.

21 hours ago, CruiseCriticAaron said:

I can find out; I'm all the way forward on a higher deck and haven't heard any noise to speak of.

I’m interested in this myself - thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

(Please only Cruise Critic provide answers to these. We have had conflicting information about the below issues which is why I would like CC to find out the definitive answers.)

Sanctuary:

-Need clarity on how booking is managed. Can suite guests access at anytime without a reservation? How do non-suite guests reserve space here and do they get a specific lounger when they reserve?

-Need confirmation of pricing for port and sea days for non-suite guests entry and cabanas.

-The aft elevator appears to be open to everyone and takes you right into the Sanctuary. How are they controlling access with that?

Signature Restaurant:

-Is the menu the same as MDR? If it is mostly the same what are the differences between the two menus? 

Enclave:

-Can you confirm if suite guests get free access to this area?

Crooners:

-We are hearing that they plan to turn this into an Elite Lounge on an upcoming sailing. Can you get clarity on what this means. Is it certain hours that the bar will be restricted to Elite guests? If so what hours would those be?

Thank you!

I'll try to find answers to these questions for you! I'm curious about all of them myself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DELLA1955 said:

Is there an internet cafe on sun princess, and which deck?  Thank you!  Cruising on Sun end of March.

There doesn't appear to be an internet cafe aboard Sun Princess, but you can certainly access it with your own devices. Speeds are reasonably good.

23 hours ago, CruiseCriticAaron said:

I'll look into the costs for Park19. To add here for all, Princess has communicated expected opening dates for various venues. They are:

• Park19 is open, minus the ropes course, which will be completed March 29, and RollGlider, which will be done on April 27.

• Spellbound is being tested on this voyage; it should be operational by March 19, 2024.

did Princess "communicate" the "WHY" for the delayed openings?

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

did Princess "communicate" the "WHY" for the delayed openings?

A lot of it sounds like it was due to supply chain issues and the late delivery of the vessel from Fincantieri. Other than that, I couldn't speculate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for all the information. I enjoyed your article!

If you have time, can you please provide more detailed pictures of

1) free weights section of the Fitness Center?   I’m interested in the equipment available.  Was able to find videos of the cardio and exercise machine section but I haven’t found good looks of the free weights 

2) picture of part of the walking track area

3) Fitness Studio shown on the deck level 18 map.   I’m guessing that’s where fitness classes will be held. 

What’s the longest continuous section of the stairways?  Can we climb all the way from deck 4 to 21 in a straight shot?  My Fitbit wants to know 😀

23 hours ago, birdiebill said:

Staterooms on deck ten in the sphere reported hearing loud noise from the Piazza dance parties late at night.  Is that still a concern?

Similar issue on the newer Royal Class ships. The lack of Skywalkers/Club 6 means they place the late night dancing in the Piazza. The late-night noise bleed is bad for those trying to sleep.

As someone who loved Skywalkers and would go every night, using the Piazza for late night dancing is a horrible choice of venue. The last thing many ppl want for late-night dancing is to be in a light-filled atrium and on display to three decks of onlookers.

At least the photos from the article above show that they have some lighting features/turn off the house lights for late-night dancing on the Sun. Looks way more inviting than on the Enchanted

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Sanctuary:

I know you are asking CC Aaron about this, but have you seen the thorough report by @CanadianBurger on his "Live From" thread?  He spoke at length with the Sanctuary Manager and provided a detailed report (link below).  Be sure to read some of the following posts where further clarification provided.  I believe your questions answered.

PS- It has been posted multiple times that Suite guest do not get free Enclave.

2 hours ago, CruiseCriticAaron said:

I'll try to find answers to these questions for you! I'm curious about all of them myself.

FYI on Sanctuary.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I know you are asking CC Aaron about this, but have you seen the thorough report by @CanadianBurger on his "Live From" thread?  He spoke at length with the Sanctuary Manager and provided a detailed report (link below).  Be sure to read some of the following posts where further clarification provided.  I believe your questions

PS- It has been posted multiple times that Suite guest do not get free Enclave.

I posted my questions here yesterday before that Live thread had that information.

And there was a suite passenger in another forum who got free access to the Enclave on the maiden voyage he said because he was in a suite. So as with Sanctuary info there is conflicting information (which I stated in my post) hence my questions.

20 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

I posted my questions here yesterday before that Live thread had that information.

I am aware of that.  I just wanted to get the information over here as well so everything didn't have to be rehashed over.  We now have Sanctuary posts on three threads.  Personally, the info from the "Live From" is gospel at this point.

• Like 3

On 3/11/2024 at 3:42 PM, CruiseCriticAaron said:

Great info thanks!  Any updates on when Love by Britto will be operational?