The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday March 13th, 2024

kazu

Good morning from sunny Quartzsite where it is 50F with a light wind. Our predicted high will be 75F with 10 to 14 mph winds.  It should be a good day to get rid of more of the weeds.  The weeds are beginning to show signs of dying, but I think that is due to warmer, drier weather and not all the chemicals I've sprayed on them.  Once the majority of the weeds are gone, I'll do one more round of ground clear on the lot.

Since I use my stapler so seldom, I'm always surprised when it is empty.  I like the idea behind International Every Girl Winds Day, and thank you, Graham, @grapau27 for the information on this day.  I'll salute our K-9 Veterans who are now getting better treatment after they have finished their service.

I think Oscar Wilde was on to something with today's quote.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  We've had the Mark West Pinot Noir, which is available on HAL ships, and it was good, just not my favorite Pinot Noir.

We have not been to Aomori, Japan.

Three good days in history with two involving astronomy.  We visited the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff and saw the telescope Clyde Tombaugh used when he discovered Pluto.  Unfortunately, I don't have any digital pictures.

@seagarsmoker  I hope the periodontal appointment goes well today.

@Denise T  Denise, I'm glad Fiona seems to be doing better and is eating a bit on her own.  I hope she continues to improve.

@Haljo1935  Elizabeth, I'm sorry the "meeting" fell through yesterday, and I hope you get some answers soon.  I also hope your sinuses clear up soon.

@Heartgrove  Jack, I'm very happy Sam is still doing well.  It's interesting that the dealership has follow up training on the various systems on the car.

@Mr. Boston  I hope you feel better soon.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad the dogs have accepted the film crew.  It should be interesting watching all the activities.

@ger_77  Gerry, enjoy the birthday dinner with your friends.

@cat shepard  Ann, I'm glad there is now a time for your sister's transfer.  If things go as they did for DH, today will be getting her settled in her room and letting her rest after the transfer.  Tomorrow, the PT and OT sessions will be evaluations to see where she is and what they need to work on to get her ready to go home.  With three hours of PT and OT spread out during the day, they will keep her busy.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I hope things turn around for Allen soon.  First, that the sodium pills help and that there are no side effects.  Also that the dermatologist will be able to see Allen soon.  I also hope Ron's PET scan goes well and does not hold any surprises.

@summer slope  Dixie, I'm sorry about the bone spurs, and I hope the dentist can take care of them without much trouble or pain.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I hope the Z-pack helps clear up the cough and you feel better soon.  I'm sorry you have missed seeing your UK friends, and hope you feel like seeing them before they leave.  We heard about the explosion on the news last night.  What a terrible thing to happen.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, thank you for the belated birthday wishes.  I hope your appointments go well today.

430130350_391936143600384_3553812628599789188_n.jpg.5c8cba2df86a051827141b02c81ac0cc.jpg

430841535_412518124690039_2854500880291830056_n.jpg.05ebd94651da527b480f9cf5ccdbb352.jpg

431167587_941384161325119_5174844523629590352_n.jpg.d420861a92cfa700d178d794e96fa058.jpg

431183129_1836996640074956_4062415727555488181_n.jpg.a0d7a0d3e810c1ecb8790f4e670d4bcd.jpg

432364503_401275435826125_2982482902949467716_n.jpg.59ded1ab5ba683ce470120a45529c2a3.jpg

432372041_401275529159449_1982156403617893779_n.jpg.4b5c64d3375a247fbe0b1d4fadae2cd4.jpg

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 9

6 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Have to go back to the dentist who extracted my tooth in December. I have bone spurs pushing through my gums. Appointment is tomorrow. 

Oh wow, that doesn't sound comfortable at all!  I hope they can take care of it quickly for you so you don't have to suffer much longer.  Good luck!

Vanessa @JazzyV I so appreciate the way you condense and comment on each person's day the way you do.  I agree wholeheartedly with your comments to everyone.  I hope you start feeling better very soon!  I'm sorry though you couldn't see your UK friends again last night.  I'm sure they're missing your company.  No, I hadn't heard about the gas line explosion and will check that out.  What a shame for that elderly couple and their family though.  😢  I'm getting along with my arm okay with the stitching.  I just don't like to touch or lay on that side as it's extremely tender.  

• Like 23

Posted (edited)

Mitzi enjoyed her birthday yesterday. I made the chicken stroganoff that @dfish posted about a few days ago. I didn't follow one specific recipe, but took bits and pieces from all three. Combining recipes doesn't always work out, however this time it was a success! I'll definitely make it again (assuming I can remember which parts of each recipe to use...).

We had asparagus, roasted broccoli, and mashed potatoes along with the stroganoff -

20240312_193345.thumb.jpg.1b97493ae38fed642ba779fa570f0f7d.jpg

And, of course, Birthday Cake!

20240312_203037.thumb.jpg.3d98835fc7d29d7bd1070d5722c769f1.jpg

Edited by Overhead Fred
  • Like 32

From @JazzyV’s Rotation list today…. “RMLincoln’s in Rehab hospital, getting radiation treatments”, it’s for my SiL. I talked with my niece two nights ago and the scans were done and the schedule was to start yesterday, not confirmed to me that it happened. I’ll check in with them in a few days, I try not to bug them, they are overwhelmed. My job is to update my other brother, sister and cousins, usually a condensed version. The good news is that my brother seems glad for some family contact after the long years of isolation. I feel that they’re in for a rough ride ahead and will need all the support they can get. Thanks all for your support. m—

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

From @JazzyV’s Rotation list today…. “RMLincoln’s in Rehab hospital, getting radiation treatments”, it’s for my SiL. I talked with my niece two nights ago and the scans were done and the schedule was to start yesterday, not confirmed to me that it happened. I’ll check in with them in a few days, I try not to bug them, they are overwhelmed. My job is to update my other brother, sister and cousins, usually a condensed version. The good news is that my brother seems glad for some family contact after the long years of isolation. I feel that they’re in for a rough ride ahead and will need all the support they can get. Thanks all for your support. m—

Sorry, the SIL got lost in my cut and paste I think. I'll correct it going forward. I'm happy that you can connect with your brother, although distressed that it's under these circumstances. 

• Like 18

Before it gets too much later UK time, I want to wish a very happy birthday to @grapau27Graham's DW Pauline.  💐  The birthday luncheon looked lovely.

We have an estimator coming soon to look at remodeling two bathrooms.  Long overdue.  (Don't you just dread the upheaval?!!)  I'll come back and read the rest of the Daily later.

Wishing all a very pleasant day.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

I am just getting caught up.  Early and long doctor appointment.  Then I got home and John wanted to go to Lowe's to get lawn treatments, then Costco and then my bird feed store.  By the time I got my morning chores done John needed gas for the lawn tractor.  I think he will get those 10 40lb. bags of treatments down this afternoon.  We have about 1/2-1" of rain coming tonight so hos timing will be perfect.   

Sad to read above that HA is suspending the MDR lunch on the first day.  More people slamming in the Lido.  

@summer slope wow!  I am sorry about the complications of your tooth extraction. 

@Seasick Sailor so sad to read about Allan's low sodium, that can be really problematic.  

Have a lovely afternoon!  Nancy 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Back home from haircuts and grocery run. Glad to have those done!  Short break before a mentoring call with teens in NM newly certified wildland firefighters! Very proud of them for their volunteer service to their community. Then early supper for us do I can get into a church group call with my prior home- staying connected during my transition… one foot on the dock and the other in the boat.  

@JazzyVVanessa, you do an outstanding service for all of us!  We are so appreciative of your dedication to keeping up the Care, Celebration and Cruising lists through all of your own pain, illness and upheaval. And you are much more competent at using the posting tools, quoting, cut and pasting than I will ever be. Many, many thanks for all you do for us!  I’ll keep you posted!  Hope your are much better from the Zpack! 
m—

• Like 24

Posted (edited)

Almost good morning and thanks all! @grapau27happy birthday to Pauline! 

We’re puppy sitting today, such fun! 

@fruitmachine welcome aboard! 
@cat shepard so glad your sister is transferring today!

@summer slope hope tomorrow goes well!

@Seasick Sailor glad they caught those levels in time!  Hope Allen feels better soon and he gets his appointment quickly. 

@JazzyVhope you feel better soon! A special shout out to you and @Quartzsite Cruiser for such consistently kind and condensed comments!  

We loved visiting Aomori,  went to Hirosaki Castle and enjoyed the pink snow!  

IMG_1819.jpeg

IMG_1817.jpeg

IMG_1815.jpeg

IMG_1806.jpeg

IMG_1792.jpeg

IMG_1780.jpeg

IMG_1781.jpeg

IMG_1783.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

We’re puppy sitting today, such fun! 

@fruitmachine welcome aboard! 
@cat shepard so glad your sister is transferring today!

@summer slope hope tomorrow goes well!

@Seasick Sailor glad they caught those levels in time!  Hope Allen feels better soon and he gets his appointment quickly. 

@JazzyVhope you feel better soon! A special shout out to you and @Quartzsite Cruiser for such consistently kind and condensed comments!  

IMG_1819.jpeg

IMG_1817.jpeg

IMG_1815.jpeg

IMG_1806.jpeg

IMG_1792.jpeg

IMG_1780.jpeg

IMG_1781.jpeg

IMG_1783.jpeg

Pauline said thank you so much for her birthday wishes.

Lovely photos.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

@grapau27 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAULINE🥰

One of my paintings which I believe you will like! Last time in London was 2016!

I have a studio here in Maui and I pulled it out to take a pic for you!

🌺Mahalo Denise

image.thumb.jpeg.492f4915227f3df69dbad552d6f6efba.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Like any normal person, I fill my stapler when I notice that it's empty, not on an arbitrary day.

I like bran muffins and wish that I had one now. I would probably like the drink. As already noted, Pinot Noir is a temperamental grape, even more so here, but most of the wineries produce it. For one that I haven't mentioned before, Ravines 2020.

I had a hard time getting to sleep last night after teaching Job and Jonah, and this morning I seemed to ache all over. Nevertheless, I went to the nature center to do one of my class assignments, since it was 71° and mostly sunny. This was #3 of the 10 experiences in nature required by April 28. I had hoped with the temperature and sun that I might see a timber rattler, but if they were out they were avoiding me. All the trails were muddy, and the main trail, which connects the others, was extremely muddy.

The small pond is used for teaching aquatic biology. There's a bigger pond where there were Canada geese today.

P1010652.thumb.JPG.1b00edf6b40c539ea3883074a7221b29.JPG

The main trail is named for Mark Twain. His wife was from here and they spent many summers here; they're also buried here, in her family's plot.

P1010653.thumb.JPG.116ef0e8fd704718bc2c9cb6e7c9ad78.JPG

This is the beginning of what's officially called the President's Trail, but most people would call the Ernie Davis Trail, because it has placards about his life, each of which also recommends an outdoor exercise (like a parcours, but without fixtures). He grew up here and, as a player for Syracuse, was the first Black athlete to win the Heisman Trophy. He died before playing professionally. The trail rejoins the Twain trail at the treehouse.

P1010657.thumb.JPG.a8a436a51707c266102e711dad6c6665.JPGP1010649.thumb.JPG.d234e00e3ddbc52bdd737d12b2272c47.JPG

I still need to go to a grocery store.

talkingdogs.thumb.jpg.c4cce9d0c0e9cb9c811f744a19e4f5f3.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

6 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

@grapau27 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAULINE🥰

One of my paintings which I believe you will like! Last time in London was 2016!

🌺Mahalo Denise

Love the painting as I do all of yours. Miss you a bunch. I'm kinda homesick for Maui.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

@grapau27 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAULINE🥰

🌺Mahalo Denise

Absolutely fabulous painting.

Pauline loved it.

IMG_20240313_180523.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺

Pauline! You’re just stunning and so photogenic! Beautiful smile too!!

🌺Mahalo Denise

Thank you so much for your lovely words Denise.

Screenshot_20240307_134123.jpg

• Like 13

Good afternoon.  I got about half of the lot inside the fence cleared of weeds, or at least 95 percent cleared.  It's hard to see some of the little ones in the rocks.  I had to stop for about an hour while DH sharpened the hula ho,  It took awhile to find what he needed for the job.  The rocks and tough weeds make it hard to keep it sharp.  I also took time to move a lot of things stored behind the sheds, mainly the just in case things that are too big for the storage sheds.  These tend to trap a lot of debris, and it had been several years since I worked on cleaning that area.  Tomorrow should be easier once DH sharpens the hula ho, again.  After that, all that will remain is to rake the rocks back into place and spray ground clear.

6 hours ago, bennybear said:

IMG_1819.jpeg

IMG_1817.jpeg

IMG_1815.jpeg

IMG_1806.jpeg

IMG_1792.jpeg

IMG_1780.jpeg

IMG_1781.jpeg

IMG_1783.jpeg

Great pictures as usual, Brenda.

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I took Pauline out for her birthday meal.

IMG_20240313_182439.jpg

IMG_20240313_184045.jpg

IMG_20240313_191519.jpg

Graham, the roast and Yorkshire pudding look so good, and a lot better than the Yorkshire pudding on Koningsdam.  It was tough and basically inedible.  I really liked the Sunday roast and Yorkshire pudding we had on P&O Oriana.

4 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

@grapau27 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAULINE🥰

🌺Mahalo Denise

Denise, I love the painting.

4 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Like any normal person, I fill my stapler when I notice that it's empty, not on an arbitrary day.

I like bran muffins and wish that I had one now. I would probably like the drink. As already noted, Pinot Noir is a temperamental grape, even more so here, but most of the wineries produce it. For one that I haven't mentioned before, Ravines 2020.

I had a hard time getting to sleep last night after teaching Job and Jonah, and this morning I seemed to ache all over. Nevertheless, I went to the nature center to do one of my class assignments, since it was 71° and mostly sunny. This was #3 of the 10 experiences in nature required by April 28. I had hoped with the temperature and sun that I might see a timber rattler, but if they were out they were avoiding me. All the trails were muddy, and the main trail, which connects the others, was extremely muddy.

The small pond is used for teaching aquatic biology. There's a bigger pond where there were Canada geese today.

P1010652.thumb.JPG.1b00edf6b40c539ea3883074a7221b29.JPG

The main trail is named for Mark Twain. His wife was from here and they spent many summers here; they're also buried here, in her family's plot.

P1010653.thumb.JPG.116ef0e8fd704718bc2c9cb6e7c9ad78.JPG

This is the beginning of what's officially called the President's Trail, but most people would call the Ernie Davis Trail, because it has placards about his life, each of which also recommends an outdoor exercise (like a parcours, but without fixtures). He grew up here and, as a player for Syracuse, was the first Black athlete to win the Heisman Trophy. He died before playing professionally. The trail rejoins the Twain trail at the treehouse.

P1010657.thumb.JPG.a8a436a51707c266102e711dad6c6665.JPGP1010649.thumb.JPG.d234e00e3ddbc52bdd737d12b2272c47.JPG

I still need to go to a grocery store.

talkingdogs.thumb.jpg.c4cce9d0c0e9cb9c811f744a19e4f5f3.jpg

Paul, thanks for the pictures and information on the nature center.

It's time to start dinner.   Thank goodness for leftovers.

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Report from the checkout line: People is having another go at the troubles of the Royal family, and according to the Star, Tom Cruise has been dumped by someone or other and declared "undatable." None of this matches up to the greeting card I received years ago, imitating one of the tabloids with "Aliens land, reveal amazing 7-day diet plan!"

• Like 4
  • Haha 11

Good evening to all.

Sorry I did not post earlier.

We are still in Jacksonville and will leave to go home tomorrow morning.  

This afternoon I had X-rays of both hands, which show severe arthritis.  This explains the reason for the pain I have.  At least we now know that the pain is not caused by the PMR—or so I think.

The MRI, on the other hand, shows that I have a partial rotator cuff tear.  I was able to see the report but I have not yet heard from the doctor.  

I have a feeling that I will get a referral to an orthopedic surgeon.  Not sure if there is a way to deal with this non-surgically.   I will probably hear from someone tomorrow about a referral.  Just when I thought I was all done for a while!

So now the question is, Will we be able to go to Italy in five weeks?  It would be pretty sad to have to cancel this trip again.

i’ll keep you posted as I get more info.

I tried to get in touch with my friend Anita today.  Called the hospital.  They do not have her listed.  Said that she probably went home.  Can’t believe that.  Called both home and cell phone.  No answer.  Don’t know who took her to the hospital.  Her DH passed away in August of 2021 so she is alone.  I just know it is a friend, but not who.  it seems strange to be discharged so soon after a kidney removal.  Prayers continue.

So that is the state of affairs here.

Thank you all for your prayers and concern.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4