Are Coleman foldable chairs allowed?

Our upcoming Volendam cruises will both be in lanais. From past experience, the chairs on the lanai deck are removed fairly early in the evening, and not put out very early in the morning. We enjoy coffee out on the deck, and we are wondering if HAL would allow us to brin the foldable Coleman camp-chairs that are carried on in their own nylon sack. Carnival allows this. Does anyone know if they are allowed on HAL? I have called the HAL departments who I assume would know, but they say they don't know, so I came here, where people know things.

Posted (edited)

I'm pretty sure it will be frowned upon. First do you really think you need to bring camping chairs on a cruise?

Just ask your room stewards to make sure they have your dedicated lounges out early. Also ask them to keep the cushions in your cabin, they will be less bulky than your camp chairs. If anyone is sitting in them just give them the punt.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm pretty sure it will be frowned upon. First do you really think you need to bring camping chairs on a cruise?

Just ask your room stewards to make sure they have your dedicated lounges out early. Also ask them to keep the cushions in your cabin, they will be less bulky than your camp chairs. If anyone is sitting in them just give them the punt.

I think the loungers are picked up and put out by deck hands, not room stewards. They clear the deck to wash it down. 

I doubt HAL would say you can't have them. I love to sit on my balcony at night and listen to the sea. I would be unhappy not to have somewhere to sit. I hadn't thought about that aspect of a lanai.

I don't recall ever seeing folding camp chairs on any HAL list of prohibited items. As most prohibitions are for legal, safety or security reasons, I can't imagine HAL not allowing you to board with them. 

Just don't cause a commotion by taking them poolside to one-up the chair hogs! 😇

• Haha 4

I think the issue is it could interfere with the deck hands each morning as they wash down the deck.  I think also, stewards set up the chairs pretty quickly after the washing is done.  If you do that, please go back in your room when the washing crew gets to your area.

Roy

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Just ask your room stewards to make sure they have your dedicated lounges out early. Also ask them to keep the cushions in your cabin, they will be less bulky than your camp chairs. 

We sailed in a Lanai once, and my recollection is there would NOT be space for big ol’ outside lounge cushions to be kept inside the cabin unless you slept on top of them. Lanais are cool, but much tighter on space than other outsides on the lower prom deck.

We had Coleman folding chairs in our RV van days, and they DO fold down fairly slim to be stowed. OP’s idea has possibilities. But I’d end up bringing an inflatable cube to prop my feet on, a cooler for beverages maybe? and then things would start getting out of hand…

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

But I’d end up bringing an inflatable cube to prop my feet on, a cooler for beverages maybe? and then things would start getting out of hand…

Plastic palm tree? Beach umbrella? Umbrella would be totally unneeded, since you're under the overhang. But if you have the inflatable cube, cooler, and plastic palm tree then you'd need the beach umbrella to complete the look. 😂

• Haha 7

24 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Plastic palm tree? Beach umbrella? Umbrella would be totally unneeded, since you're under the overhang. But if you have the inflatable cube, cooler, and plastic palm tree then you'd need the beach umbrella to complete the look. 😂

And maybe a pink flamingo.  🦩

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

36 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

And a barbecue because my DH cooks steaks better than the Pinnacle!!  😄

L.

• Haha 7

It's great to get a new question, rather than one repeatedly asked.  Volendam is the only HAL ship we have not been on...I have only seen the quirky lanai cabins on the promenade deck in photos.

Camp chairs are not on the prohibited list, so I would have to think it is allowed.  But some things to consider:  1) how will you get them to the ship and 2) how will get them onto the ship.  If you are flying, they can't go on carry on and you would have to check with the airline to see if you can check them.  They are somewhat like a set of golf clubs, but the airlines might have rules.  I would also be worried about them being damaged in checked baggage.  Now obviously this doesn't apply if you plan to drive to the port of embarkation.  But you have the same problem of how to get them on the ship, that they might get damaged.  Did you ever see how they pack a load of suitcases on a pallet to move on and off the ship...I would be concerned about damage from the 3 suitcases that might get piled on top of your chairs.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, leerathje said:

And a barbecue because my DH cooks steaks better than the Pinnacle!!  😄

L.

Uh oh - now you probably wandered into prohibited 🚫 territory, but imagine the block parties!!

• Haha 3

@BobbiSox I have taken foldable Coleman chairs several times on international photography trips. I didn’t have a problem when flying American Airlines. ymmv, but that was my experience. They were in our checked luggage. The chair cases rather resemble a tripod case.

• Like 2

Thank you all for you humor and your good ideas. My experience with the lanai deck chairs has not been very good. I have spent a lot time explaining to other passengers that  lanai chairs are for the lanai passengers only.. Hard as it is to believe, there are some rude people on HAL. I've TAPED  on signs that I had made at home :THESE CHAIRS ARE FOR LANAI GUESTS ONLY. I've gone to customer  service. I was told recently by another lanai guest that her chair had a permanent wooden sign attached that stated 'for lanai guests only', but even that didn't help and caused a lot of trouble. I'm very small and fit in a very small chair, which is easy to move around as a carry-on..  I'm driving to Fort Lauderdale, so no luggage problems. This is my last lanai if it doesn't work out, I'll go back to a balcony.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@BobbiSox I'm sorry that you have been driven to feel you need to bring your own camping chair. Even with your own furniture you will need the deck space, which some rude person will surely decide to use. It feels like a no win to me. Best of luck for a great cruise. Our cruise was on Zaandam which doesn't have the "Lanais" but does have the loungers on the promenade in the same locations as the Lanais. As a personal thought I wouldn't want to rely on that space as a substitute for a balcony.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BobbiSox said:

Thank you all for you humor and your good ideas. My experience with the lanai deck chairs has not been very good. I have spent a lot time explaining to other passengers that  lanai chairs are for the lanai passengers only.. Hard as it is to believe, there are some rude people on HAL. I've TAPED  on signs that I had made at home :THESE CHAIRS ARE FOR LANAI GUESTS ONLY. I've gone to customer  service. I was told recently by another lanai guest that her chair had a permanent wooden sign attached that stated 'for lanai guests only', but even that didn't help and caused a lot of trouble. I'm very small and fit in a very small chair, which is easy to move around as a carry-on..  I'm driving to Fort Lauderdale, so no luggage problems. This is my last lanai if it doesn't work out, I'll go back to a balcony.

The permanent signs were very small, but I've seen signs made at home. In some cases, it's ignorance. I know there are signs by the glass doors, but people see an unoccupied chair and grab it without checking anything around them. 

At least on Volendam, they're all together in a row, so it should be easier to see which chairs are reserved and which are for anyone to use. It was worse on other ships. I think on Veendam they were scattered, rather than grouped, and then people were more likely to sit on loungers for a lanai, especially if there were 2 general ones next to lanais and a group of 3 or 4 wanted to sit together. Friends had that problem frequently.

• Like 1

Just now, durangoscots said:

The chairs on the Volevdam are very clearly marked as reserved and there Can be

7thno question.

Drafted auto correct wrote Canberra no question and when I corrected that it started acting silly. Chairs are clearly marked.

• Haha 1

As soon as the crew sets up the chairs in the mornings go and put some towels, books  your bath robe etc. on the chairs. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, BobbiSox said:

I had that same issue on the Volendam and even when I had to get a crew member involved to remove a chair hog from our loungers it created more animosity that I wanted to deal with. We now only book Vista Suites when we sail on the Volendam which is what we have for our August cruise of Canada.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BobbiSox said:

People using the reserved chairs is one of the reasons we will never book a Lanai cabin again!  Once and never again!

Best of luck on your cruise!  Hope there is an abundance of courteous guests onboard!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/16/2024 at 11:41 AM, BobbiSox said:

If a balcony is your second choice, why?  There is more privacy, more cabin space, and no traffic outside the balcony cabin.  I am afraid that I have never seen the value in a lanai.

9 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

If a balcony is your second choice, why?  There is more privacy, more cabin space, and no traffic outside the balcony cabin.  I am afraid that I have never seen the value in a lanai.

When I was looking at a Volendam cruise, as a solo who prefers veranda cabins, the Lanai was considerably lower fare than the Vista Suites.  I figure that the Lanai cabin would be acceptable size wise for one person.  I haven't tried one yet though.

Do any of the other solo cruisers have thoughts on the Lanai cabins for one person?

~Nancy