Celebrity's actual deceit on Move Up - bid for upgrade

george_sf

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, vjmatty said:

There in lies the problem.  There is no such thing as a one-way contract, or it isn't a contract.  Some of the posters keep saying it is intended to benefit the cruise line only, not the passenger.  First of all, such a "contract" would be impossible.  Second, just because a contract is intended to only benefit one side, doesn't mean the other side can't ever benefit from various clauses in the contract, again, assuming it is a true contract. If a company came to me and said " I want to write up a contract that only benefits me in any situation but can't work against me in any way" I'd have to say sorry, what you are describing is not a contract.

ETA: Also, if Celebrity in their Move Up rules stated something like "Carrier has the right to revoke the upgrade even after the Move Up bid is accepted" then there would be notice and acceptance of that term.  There is no such language in the T/C and cobbing it together from multiple clauses doesn't always work

There are many one way  contracts. ..car rentals, cable tv, , buying a new house or condo from  builder/ developer in Fl.. no changes allowed .

Fairness and justice are on the side of OP who seems to be nice about it.. he has no choice!

Note:

An adhesion contract is a legal agreement that is drafted by one party, but not the other. This means that the party signing the agreement had no chance to bargain for the agreement's terms. Instead, it is a “take it or leave it” situation.

Only thing OP could do is set the amount of the bid.

I am so happy we do not bid..and try to stick with what we initially booked.

Edited by hcat

11 hours ago, CruisinShips said:

Again, it's not about what they have the right todo.  It's about what they should do so as to promote ongoing good will and customer satisfaction (and retention).

Agreed.  Not sure why they choose positions that make their customers angry?

9 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Agreed.  Not sure why they choose positions that make their customers angry?

Probably because this happens in one out of a thousand (or less) MoveUps, and they have no procedures in place to deal with it, and are just winging it.

The answer to Celebrity’s option of cancelling you as it chooses is surely for cruisers to turn their backs on the Move Up scheme. To be honest it was much better in the past when lucky cruisers were, on occasion, granted free upgrades, there were no complaints then.

We gave up on the Move Up scheme a while back as it is just a way of squeezing every last penny out of us. Book what you want, stick to it and you’ll be happy with no redress.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Rustyman said:

it was much better in the past when lucky cruisers were, on occasion, granted free upgrades, there were no complaints then.

Except, of course, from the people who "are only loyal to Celebrity, never cruised any other line, etc." and are never picked for the free upgrade and want to know why.

2 minutes ago, Rustyman said:

Book what you want, stick to it and you’ll be happy with no redress.

BINGO! This is the philosophy I use with all my bookings - cruise, airline, Walt Disney World. That last one especially - the number of people who book one category and then try to figure out how to request a higher category without the room assigner catches on...or how to get upgraded at check-in (even to the point at the monorail resorts of using their kids by training them to go up to Mommy or Daddy at the check in counter and say they are so excited to see the castle and can they see it from their room knowing full well that they booked a standard view but hoping the cast member at check in will move them into a Theme Park View room to make the kid happy).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rustyman said:

Book what you want, stick to it and you’ll be happy with no redress.

I think the exception to that rule is possibly taking a chance on a move-up bid on the upper suites...there really are no bad locations with regard to those IMO.

• Like 3

On 3/16/2024 at 7:18 AM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Who was the VIP ? 

I assure you, it was not me.... LOL

Was it you???

bon voyage

• Haha 2

On 3/16/2024 at 11:00 AM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Is it true that people have heard it was Taylor Swift....?

In which case, I Am sure she would have offered the OP some type of compensation for the inconvenience...

bon voyage

On 3/16/2024 at 11:21 AM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Read your terms & conditions for *any* cruise line. They all reserve that "right".

Thank you for this, sometimes "we" forget about T&C's and focus only on our wants and desires... 

While not always pleasant endings, yet.... those are the T&C's, which often times go unread.

bon voyage 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

In which case, I Am sure she would have offered the OP some type of compensation for the inconvenience...

bon voyage

or at least a friendship bracelet!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, hcat said:

or at least a friendship bracelet!

hc in which case more valuable than the upgrade, in the short run!!! LOL

bon voyage

While I see that Celebrity is well within its rights to put you in any Cabin they see fit as per the terms and conditions.....Wrong is still WRONG and this was very wrong.   They charged your card.....and waited 6 days before some Senior Executive made the call to bounce you?  WRONG.  I am in agreement that compensation should be the difference in price between the CS and the PH as an FCC.   I had this years ago on Celebrity with a Royal Suite pre covid.......And my travel agent took it up several levels and we ended up sailing in the PH.  Celebrity made us whole, this is not what happened to this OP, disappointing.   I too had a problem on two of our cruises end of last year, where over 60% of the suites sailed empty including 1/2 the royals and Both PH's.....And the Move up upgrades were never processed....Twice.....I too wrote to LHB the president and someone called and tried to explain their mistakes......epic fail.   What saddens me the most is seeing customer satisfaction and $$ in these situations go down the tubes while Celebrity continues to raise their rates by over 100% in some instances.  Huge changes in how Celebrity see's customer loyalty and treatment.   Sorry this happened to you, I hope you still have a fabulous trip!   

• Like 1

You lost me at "flunky" I do not feel bad for you after calling them names, which is not their fault. It didn't cost you anything. I do not care about your status, be whoop. Hopefully your attitude does not carry onto the cruise and call other workers flunky's if they get your tea incorrect. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Bosjoe said:

You lost me at "flunky" I do not feel bad for you after calling them names, which is not their fault. It didn't cost you anything. I do not care about your status, be whoop. Hopefully your attitude does not carry onto the cruise and call other workers flunky's if they get your tea incorrect. 

A flunky is just someone who performs menial tasks, it doesn’t mean stupid as in flunking a test or a class…and the OP didn’t call them flunkies on the phone.  You don’t have to feel bad for the OP to recognize poor customer service. Those are two different things.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, vjmatty said:

A flunky is just someone who performs menial tasks, it doesn’t mean stupid as in flunking a test or a class…and the OP didn’t call them flunkies on the phone.  You don’t have to feel bad for the OP to recognize poor customer service. Those are two different things.

"The term is often used in a derogatory manner to describe someone who is subservient or overly obedient to their superiors."  IMO exactly they way the OP used it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Liao said:

"The term is often used in a derogatory manner to describe someone who is subservient or overly obedient to their superiors."  IMO exactly they way the OP used it.

Again, you don’t have to like or feel sorry for the OP to recognize poor customer service.  People on this thread are making it about the OP rather than the conduct of Celebrity, as if using the word flunky negates the act.

10 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Again, you don’t have to like or feel sorry for the OP to recognize poor customer service.  People on this thread are making it about the OP rather than the conduct of Celebrity, as if using the word flunky negates the act.

Kind of like last week where they were blaming the poop incident on the cruiser also ...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

@george_sf do you have a TA on this booking?  If so,  have your TA work with Celebrity.

Our TA works for a large agency. She brought it up to her counterpart. The company's direct sales manager also brought it up to Celebrity. Crickets. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

Kind of like last week where they were blaming the poop incident on the cruiser also ...

Some people can’t handle anything negative about a cruise line. Like Celebrity is their boyfriend. 

• Haha 1

..and some just enjoy being contrary

in this case and the erupting toilet incident,  X  has been the " bad guy" in terms of customer service...

We now know what NOT to expect if we have an issue or have one created by X

..They no longer " exceed expectations" (old tag line).

Time to move on..

• Like 3