Live from Voyager, Rio to Lisbon, 19 March - 6 April 2024

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from Gilly! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Gilly was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

As a means of putting off the task of packing my bags, I thought I'd kick off the conversation here.  Later this afternoon we'll head off to LHR where we're staying overnight before an early morning flight to Rio tomorrow, via Madrid.  There follows a couple of nights in the JW Marriott in Copacabana, Rio before boarding Voyager on Tuesday morning.  As usual, I'll aim to update my Elegant Sufficiency blog daily, internet and time permitting, and will drop in here now and again. 

I hope others will chip in their thoughts here, especially those doing the pre-cruise to Iguazu or in Rio itself.  We've had a lively roll call, so I'm looking forward to meeting everyone on board (and finding a Trivia team 😉)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I always love traveling with you!  I hope one day it will be in person rather than virtually.  Igauzu Falls was one of my all time favorite visits.  Take the ride underneath the falls!  It was something I’ll always remember!  IMG_2634.thumb.jpeg.57c2ef9b1971378691c82a936204278f.jpeg

• Like 3

Gilly:  safe travels and have a wonderful cruise.  So glad to see you start this thread.  We always enjoy your narrative.  

Z and TB

• Thanks 1

We also leave tomorrow. Flying from Dallas to Atlanta and then nonstop to Rio. We will be spending one night at the JW Marriott before boarding. Looking forward to the voyage.

• Like 1

Looking forward to this - we are doing Rio to Lisbon on Splendor in March 2025, so it will be interesting to gain some insight into the itinerary and ports.

Have a safe & healthy journey!

• Like 1

Son’s wedding in New Orleans tonight, and then flying to Rio via Houston tomorrow.  We look forward to meeting everyone on board, and a fabulous trans-Atlantic journey!  Sue

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mom0f3 said:

Son’s wedding in New Orleans tonigh

Wow, Sue, that's a wonderful way to begin your trip! I hope you will have photos to share? (Don't we all love a wedding? 🥰)  Congratulations to the happy couple and we will look forward to seeing you on board!

• Thanks 1

Sounds like a great relaxing itinerary! Looking forward to r reports. Are your traveling companions aboard also? Ours send greetings from Texas.

Carolyn

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you all for the warm response!!  We spent last night at the Sofitel at T5 LHR, checked our bags (labelled MAD GIG 🤣) and were up at 4am for our 0620 flight to Madrid.  We transited a terminal that was just waking up (as were we) and have just boarded a full flight to Madrid.  

Hopefully my next report will be from GIG !

@cwn the travelling companions thank you for your good wishes and are looking forward to the trip 😉

Edited by Gilly
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Gilly:  I am an avid airplane fanatic. Can you please tell us about your flights to include service?  Fly safe and thanks in advance. 

Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Good Evening from Rio de Janeiro where our flight landed slightly ahead of schedule.  The Regent rep Celeste was there to meet four of us and we were soon on our way to the JW Marriott hotel in Copacabana.

@Zqueeze1 we flew LHR to MAD on a British Airways Airbus A321Neo which was not quite full up front, left slightly late but arrived on schedule.  A short walk in the same terminal took us to the S gates in Madrid, requiring a further carry on scan on the way.  Fortunately the lounge was en route to the gate, so we stopped for coffee as we went 😉   Our Iberia flight to Rio was on an Airbus A330-200 with a similar business class offering to the most recent British Airways arrangement. The best bit was that onboard wifi is included in business class, so I had a quick update from Arthur, our grandson 🥰 when we were somewhere over the Atlantic.  In flight service on both flights was excellent.  Arriving in Rio was fine except for an incredibly long walk from plane to passport control!  I'm happy to answer any further questions you may have!

Edited to add that Celeste said there are upwards of 200 Regent guests in the Marriott tomorrow night and three cruise ships in port during the next couple of days.  Busy!

Edited by Gilly
  • Like 5

Gilly:  thanks for the detailed update on your flight. You gave me my fix for the day.  We can now focus on enjoying your latest adventure as we check-in daily.  Have a great cruise!

Z andTB

• Like 2

Son’s wedding was wonderful, but now need at least 4 sea days to recover!  Sitting in the Polaris lounge at IAH, waiting for our flight to Rio, which was delayed for 2 hours.  We have a tour of Rio booked tomorrow, and look forward to meeting everyone once we join Voyager on the 19th.  This will be our first Regent cruise since 2019, which was also on Voyager.  We are hoping things haven’t changed too much since the pandemic !  We look forward to meeting everyone.   Sue and Jack.  

• Like 4

We flew Saturday with a bit of a scare - suppose to fly SRQ to ATL To GIG, but as we were leaving for the airport, I got a text that the SRQ to ATL was delayed meaning we would miss our connection in ATL. Fortunately got the flight changed to TPA to ATL and despite horrendous traffic, made it just as the TPA to ATL flight was boarding. Whew! 

We visited Christ the Redeemer and Sugarloaf on Sunday and have a full day of touring today.

Have to agree Iguazu is not to be missed - we saw the falls in 2020 - JUST before COVID. Almost did not get back to USA as everything was closing down.

Happy travels! 

• Like 4

We flew in from PHX to MIA last night, then had an 11:00 pm flight from MIA to GIG.  Well . . . 

When we boarded in PHX, we did not take off for some time.  Apparently, there was weather over GA, so we did not get clearance to take off for a couple of hours.  We therefore arrived MIA quite late.  However, our flight out of MIA was also delayed (apparently, there was a -- not a joke -- lavatory leak).  They eventually had to get us a new plane, and we did not take off until almost 2:00 am.  We arrived in GIG and were told they did not know whether my wheelchair had been loaded onto the new plane.  Welcome to Rio!  After the (wonderful) special assistance gentlemen who pushed my wheelchair and helped us get our luggage at the carousel ascertained that my wheelchair was, in fact, at the airport, we made our way to the area where the Regent folks were waiting, and what a large group that turned out to be!

We were driven to our hotel (the JW Marriott) and then we went through the pre-check-in procedure.  After that, we were given cheesy bread and coffee and then we were taken to our room.  We then spent the afternoon on a tour of Rio (Christ Redeemer and Sugar Loaf), and have spent the evening having dinner.  DH is asleep on the couch.  I am about to wash up, figure out what to wear tomorrow, and call it night.  I think we are both exhausted.

See you on board!

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, ysolde said:

I think we are both exhausted.

Good grief!  No wonder you are exhausted, @ysolde.  Ready for a holiday I guess?!  Here's hoping that all will be plain sailing from now on.  What a journey!

See you tomorrow!

• Thanks 1

Well, we are here after a far from easy embarkation!  Never mind, that first sip of champagne was all the sweeter and a sign that the fun can begin.  Suites were ready at 1.30pm and since our luggage hasn't appeared yet we can relax and look forward to a great itinerary, some interesting conversations and eighteen lovely days on board one of our favourite ships.

Cheers!

• Like 9