The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday March 16th, 2024

kazu

Posted (edited)

I am going to rant and vent about really a couple stupid, trivial, inconsequential things, which is not my norm, but I'm having one of those days, so rant I shall. No hard feelings if you skip over it. 🙄

First, know the skies have opened up and I've got a call out for the Ark to stop by. You saw my backyard picture - do I need more rain?

Next, Wal-Mart order delivered on time (yay) with an unexpected substitution. I ordered a travel size tube of Sensodyne Sensitive Cool Mint toothpaste to restock my suitcase; a bargain at $.97. I selected Sensodyne Sensitive unscented (being edible, shouldn't that be "unflavored"?) also $.97 as the approved substitution if needed. I received a large tube of Crest Mint for which I was charged $4.94. What?! I DO NOT EVER buy Crest (long story), didn't need or want a large tube of anything, and how is a $5 price tag remotely close to a $1 charge? Geez - so I had to do a couple clicks (yep I'm griping about a mere couple clicks) to request a refund, which they quickly approved, but since there's no exchange for online purchases, if I want the travel size anything, I have to do a new order or drive to the store (in the rain - see I'm on a rant roll). And then what to do with the Crest? We'll donate it (shelters of any kind always need supplies - there's my PSA) so it doesn't go to waste, but it wasn't on my list, so now I have to make that stop. All for a substitution on a less than $1 tube of toothpaste. I usually don't buy travel size products cuz I think it's a waste of $$ when I can just pack my normal things then unpack them once home and keep using them. But I have committed to reducing luggage with a goal of going COO, so travel sizes are now things I purchase. So the size substitution also messed up my Luggage Reduction Plan (it has an official, fancy name). Good grief. 🥴

Next up, I ordered a few charms and a starter bracelet from a seller I've interacted with a lot on eBay. The discount code I had wouldn't work, so she said she would just refund that amount to me after I paid, coo!; I paid and in a jiffy I saw a pending refund for $17, which equaled 10% of the total purchase - yay! I received 10 items today (endured the rain to empty the mailbox, good thing it wasn't dumping yet), but I ordered 11. The packing slip had "returned" (returned, not canceled) written in red across the first item. How could I return something I hadn't even received? You guessed it - it was the bracelet!! So, now I have 10 charms and no bracelet. It gets better - I had 3 more charms in my shopping cart (she does an ongoing "buy 3 get free shipping" special); when I clicked checkout they all showed "closed" and I got a pop up that said Seller had canceled them for non payment AND registered 3 strikes against me which prevents me from buying from many other sellers. Seriously?!?! It gets even better - she hasn't replied to my message asking about the missing bracelet or the 3 closed items. I opened a case with eBay, but since tracking shows the order was delivered, I have to work it out with Seller. Good grief.

And then, Petsmart switched my dog food order from delivery to pick up without asking if that was ok. I don't know - maybe the T&C allow for that, I didn't read them. So now I have to get out in this down pour and drive to the store. Once there, I have to hope someone will put it in the car for me - it's a heavy 49# bag that I cannot pick up because of my shoulder. Then once home, the dog will be late eating (you all understand the looks furry creatures give when dinner is 1 second late) because the bag will stay in the car until DH gets home from work to take it out.

At the end of the day, does it matter I have to buy another tube of toothpaste? Nope, not a bit. And does it matter if I have to find a bracelet to put charms on? Nope, not a bit. Does it matter if I have 3 strikes on eBay and can no longer buy from certain sellers? A little bit cuz I use it a lot, but it's not the end of the world, although it is the end of my almost 20 year perfect history w/them. Does it matter if the dog eats a couple hours late? Nope, not really. Does it matter if I have to drive in rain? A little bit.

The fur babies are tired of hearing "what the f?" and "why would they do that?" So, thanks for letting me rant and rave. 🥴😅🙄

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 26

@Haljo1935go ahead and rant and/or rave all you want. I hope it makes you feel better to let it out.  I was told a long time ago that I could be helpful as a heart with ears.

@StLouisCruisers Like you I bought a pair of beautiful black pearl earrings at a shoreside kiosk in Moorea. 

@Quartzsite CruiserUnlike you we took a glass bottom boat tour in Moorea and saw the same loveliness. We had tone Patricks tour in Bora Bora the day before.

Is it just me or is it impossible to choose which island is the best; Moorea or Bora Bora.

@grapau27Blessing to you, Pauline and especially for Sarah. You have been through way to much. The Good Lord is the great healer however he does it in his own time, not in ours.

Jane

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Just now, JazzyV said:

We hadn't heard from you in a long time, and were concerned. Good to see you posting!

Thank you so much. I had not been able to Post for close to 7 months or comment on anything but I read all of everyone elses postings.

I am so glad to be back again.

• Like 21

54 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I am going to rant and vent about really a couple stupid, trivial, inconsequential things, which is not my norm, but I'm having one of those days, so rant I shall. No hard feelings if you skip over it. 🙄

First, know the skies have opened up and I've got a call out for the Ark to stop by. You saw my backyard picture - do I need more rain?

Next, Wal-Mart order delivered on time (yay) with an unexpected substitution. I ordered a travel size tube of Sensodyne Sensitive Cool Mint toothpaste to restock my suitcase; a bargain at $.97. I selected Sensodyne Sensitive unscented (being edible, shouldn't that be "unflavored"?) also $.97 as the approved substitution if needed. I received a large tube of Crest Mint for which I was charged $4.94. What?! I DO NOT EVER buy Crest (long story), didn't need or want a large tube of anything, and how is a $5 price tag remotely close to a $1 charge? Geez - so I had to do a couple clicks (yep I'm griping about a mere couple clicks) to request a refund, which they quickly approved, but since there's no exchange for online purchases, if I want the travel size anything, I have to do a new order or drive to the store (in the rain - see I'm on a rant roll). And then what to do with the Crest? We'll donate it (shelters of any kind always need supplies - there's my PSA) so it doesn't go to waste, but it wasn't on my list, so now I have to make that stop. All for a substitution on a less than $1 tube of toothpaste. I usually don't buy travel size products cuz I think it's a waste of $$ when I can just pack my normal things then unpack them once home and keep using them. But I have committed to reducing luggage with a goal of going COO, so travel sizes are now things I purchase. So the size substitution also messed up my Luggage Reduction Plan (it has an official, fancy name). Good grief. 🥴

Next up, I ordered a few charms and a starter bracelet from a seller I've interacted with a lot on eBay. The discount code I had wouldn't work, so she said she would just refund that amount to me after I paid, coo!; I paid and in a jiffy I saw a pending refund for $17, which equaled 10% of the total purchase - yay! I received 10 items today (endured the rain to empty the mailbox, good thing it wasn't dumping yet), but I ordered 11. The packing slip had "returned" (returned, not canceled) written in red across the first item. How could I return something I hadn't even received? You guessed it - it was the bracelet!! So, now I have 10 charms and no bracelet. It gets better - I had 3 more charms in my shopping cart (she does an ongoing "buy 3 get free shipping" special); when I clicked checkout they all showed "closed" and I got a pop up that said Seller had canceled them for non payment AND registered 3 strikes against me which prevents me from buying from many other sellers. Seriously?!?! It gets even better - she hasn't replied to my message asking about the missing bracelet or the 3 closed items. I opened a case with eBay, but since tracking shows the order was delivered, I have to work it out with Seller. Good grief.

At the end of the day, does it matter I have to buy another tube of toothpaste? Nope, not a bit. And does it matter if I have to find a bracelet to put charms on? Nope, not a bit. Does it matter if I have 3 strikes on eBay and can no longer buy from certain sellers? A little bit cuz I use it a lot, but it's not the end of the world, although it is the end of my almost 20 year perfect history w/them.

The fur babies are tired of hearing "what the f?" and "why would they do that?" So, thanks for letting me rant and rave. 🥴😅🙄

Rant away.  Sometimes we all need to rant and have someone listen.  What a mess that seems to be unsolvable.

31 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

@Haljo1935go ahead and rant and/or rave all you want. I hope it makes you feel better to let it out.  I was told a long time ago that I could be helpful as a heart with ears.

@StLouisCruisers Like you I bought a pair of beautiful black pearl earrings at a shoreside kiosk in Moorea. 

@Quartzsite CruiserUnlike you we took a glass bottom boat tour in Moorea and saw the same loveliness. We had tone Patricks tour in Bora Bora the day before.

Is it just me or is it impossible to choose which island is the best; Moorea or Bora Bora.

@grapau27Blessing to you, Pauline and especially for Sarah. You have been through way to much. The Good Lord is the great healer however he does it in his own time, not in ours.

Jane

Jane, it is hard to choose between Bora Bora and Moorea.  Still Bora Bora is number 1 because it is not as developed or spoiled, and Moorea is a close second.  It is basically unspoiled, but has a little more development that is nice.  I bought a black pearl enhancer on our first visit to Moorea, and was lucky enough that the store had some matching black pearl studs the next year. 

5 minutes ago, irishjim said:

Thank you so much. I had not been able to Post for close to 7 months or comment on anything but I read all of everyone elses postings.

Welcome back, Jim.  You were missed, and we were all concerned. 

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

I have to go to work in 10 minutes, but wanted to respond to @RMLincoln-how do I manage the constant ups and downs?

If life was all ups, then we wouldn't know that it was.  If there are downs, then we can appreciate the ups, and we understand others who are "down"  If it was all downs, then we wouldn't think that life can be different at any moment.  The goal is to accept them, the ups the downs as they come along.  And to remember, that life is good, but it is always changing.  And now off to sell tickets!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

Go ahead and rant away.  

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

And then, Petsmart switched my dog food order from delivery to pick up without asking if that was ok. I don't know - maybe the T&C allow for that, I didn't read them. So now I have to get out in this down pour and drive to the store. Once there, I have to hope someone will put it in the car for me - it's a heavy 49# bag that I cannot pick up because of my shoulder. Then once home, the dog will be late eating (you all understand the looks furry creatures give when dinner is 1 second late) because the bag will stay in the car until DH gets home from work to take it out.

WTH??  I would have probably called the store and asked for it to be delivered since that has always been your method.  I always bought the huge bag too (more economical and lasts longer) but with my issues I asked Global if they could credit me for the big bags bought & transfer it to the medium size as I now want the medium bag.  They do carry them out for me but I have to get them in. It’s made my life easier.  Sure, it costs a couple of dollars more but I only have one dog now and it will make it easier to take Ivan’s food to his vacation home when I am away.

It might be worth considering if Pet Smart is going to screw up your orders.  

14 minutes ago, irishjim said:

Nice to see you posting, Jim.  You were missed.

41 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Jane, I’ll take Bora Bora over Moorea any day - especially with Patrick’s tour.  Mind you, on our cruise Moorea was crappy weather (ergo no pics) while Bora Bora was beautiful.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cruising sister said:

Happy St Patrick’s Day!  Early for you all. A pic of baby Murphy to brighten your day. Thanks for all the prayers. IMG_7773.thumb.jpeg.e591110ab645b23fa5a35b698c5cc703.jpeg

Oh my!  Precious 💜 

• Like 16

@Haljo1935...rant away, needed and totally understandable and I agree with all your points.

Our world is a crazy crazy place these days.

One thing I have noticed lately ...watch your receipts that you are not overcharged.

It happened to me twice lately and I did not realize it until the next day when I was logging  the expenses in the budget.  I am being much more careful these days.

Hang in there!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)

Thank you Annie, @marshhawk!  

First, I’m very relieved that DH’s eye pressures are more as expected today!  Hanging in!  And DH began the project of putting up pictures in the new condo!  The pictures really make it home!  Yay! 

Here’s 2 of the first ones up- Mo’orea!  
The bay!  And you can easily make out a Wind Song ship near the opening in the reef; our HAL ship is harder to see on the far right, Amsterdam. The lagoon to the left is where they took us to see the rays and sharks. DH went on the photography excursion. 

IMG_2318.thumb.jpeg.1cfee7bea8be950fe2fc89175accc271.jpeg

Second picture is looking back at Tahiti. 

IMG_2319.thumb.jpeg.658fa58798e7336b1589fbcb0b4d9c00.jpeg

@Haljo1935 we’re here for you! two things you have to do today: Breathe in, and out!  🤗

I was not following the Daily thread at the beginning but I remember following the stories of so many cruisers trying to make it home, make it into ports, onto flights, some sadly ill and fighting to stay alive. Amazing support from people on the boards who were truly heroes to others, helping strangers. I’ll remember the love!  
Maureen

Grandkids are on their way!  

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Happy St Patrick’s Day!  Early for you all. A pic of baby Murphy to brighten your day. Thanks for all the prayers. IMG_7773.thumb.jpeg.e591110ab645b23fa5a35b698c5cc703.jpeg

Beautiful child! God has blessed us with her progression. 

• Like 18

22 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Beautiful picture of a beautiful little fighter.

Lenda

• Like 18

Another sunrise from my 2010 Crystal Symphony Trans-Pacific Los Angeles to Sydney.  March 16 was a sea day from Honolulu to Sydney:

IMG_1651dawn0316.jpg.thumb.JPG.12447a0259ef32b1451eb71d5e80ce60.JPG

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon from FLL. Thank you all for the congratulations; this was a tremendous cruise in many ways. 

Sad to go home but time to plan what to do with my free cruise and prepare for my next one which - right now- is October. Will see what the surgeon has to say on Wed. 

Bon voyage to those sailing today. Hugs to those with trials and tribulations. Have a great day everyone!!

• Like 20

Good afternoon and happy anniversary to the daily!  What a nice place to be...I feel like I've travelled the world through all of you!  

DH got a great report at his Dr. visit yesterday.  He can do activities as tolerated.  Cooper is feeling better today after his boosters on Thursday.  He's turning 12 at the end of the month and his lab reports are all stable, good news.  

Bon Voyage to @Crazy For Cats @RedneckBob and @Suslor,  Enjoy your cruises!  

@dfishThanks for the recipes, the chicken looks good, but we don't have an air fryer.  

@cruising sisterThanks for sharing the picture of Murphy!  She looks wonderful and is ready for the holiday festivities tomorrow! ☘️

@Nickelpennywelcome home and congrats on your good cruise! 

Thanks to all, see you tomorrow, K

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, irishjim said:

Great to see you back @irishjim

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

@cruising sister Thanks for the picture of Murphy.  She certainly is a cute little lass.  

@Haljo1935 We all need to rant once in a while.  Each incident may not seem like much, but they all add up and to occur on the same day?  No wonder you want to scream!

@irishjim Welcome back!

@RMLincoln I'm glad DH's pressures are good!

@marshhawk what a great philosophy of life!  Thank you for sharing it.

@grapau27 When I hear of Sarah and the estrangement with her parents, I think of how lucky she is to have you and Pauline take her in as your own.  I hope that Sue and I can have that same effect for River as she has been abandoned by her father and her mother is sitting in jail.  And she may be in and out a lot as time goes on.  

I went back and read a few more Daily threads from April of 2020.  What a hard time that was.  People were still hoping to cruise that summer.  I remember the difficulty people had getting home.  I read the book about the Zaandam and it was so sad what happened with some of the crew members and passengers.  

That reminds me that we never did find out what happened with St. Louis Sal.  I know she was having trouble walking the last we heard.  We know we lost KK Krazy Kruizers and Sail7Seas posted a few times and then dropped off.  

Edited by dfish
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3