ROYAL CARIBBEAN JUNIOR SUITE QUESTION … INCLUDED vs EXCLUDED

Posted (edited)

This would be our first time cruising on RC.  We have previously sailed on the Celebrity Millennium (AquaClass) and are also considering a Family Balcony Suite with the Free a Sea base package (not Plus) on Norwegian.  The ships would be the Brilliance of the Sea on RC and the Breakaway on NCL.

RC and NCL are the only ones who currently offer one-way itineraries for the cruise we wish to take to Barcelona in 2025.  They are both quite reasonable with some give and take regarding ports and days at sea.  But very comparable.

However, I would like to confirm what I have found out so far about what IS included in an RC Junior Suite, and what is NOT included.

Positives  for an RC Junior Suite

·        It is significantly larger at 291 sqft on RC vs 236 sqft on NCL.

·        The ship itself is smaller – 2600+ pass cap on RC vs 3900+ pass cap on NCL.

·        Priority boarding is included with the Junior Suite vs. extra on NCL but both let you check bags before boarding and have them sent directly to your cabin.  On NCL, priority is extra but only applies to shore excursions that require a tender.  All ports on the specific NCL itinerary to Barcelona allow even the huge Breakaway to dock.

·        Reserving a room requires a $500, non-refundable deposit with RC.  With NCL, a $250 fully refundable deposit holds the room until the remaining reservation balance is due 120 days prior to boarding.

Negatives for an RC Junior Suite

·        Soda and basic alcoholic beverages and all gratuities are NOT included and have been difficult for me to identify on RC. 

·        With an NCL reservation, I can get them added directly to my reservation and all services charges and gratuities can be paid for up front, including beverage and dining, for an additional less than $1000 for 2 people for a 10-day cruise.  That would appear to be significantly less than just the additional beverage charges alone for RC for 2 people on an 8-day cruise.  Gratuities and general service charges would be even more.

This is where I would ask for some real-world experience from those of you who have previously sailed on Royal Caribbean. 

·        What has been your experience with actual service charges and gratuities charged beyond the cost of your cabin?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and comments.

Edited by RWK1952

Service charges beyond your fare for a Royal Caribbean junior suite is the OPTIONAL $18 per day per person “gratuity”

An alcohol package, utilizing dynamic demand based pricing, would have me budgeting in the neighborhood of $70 PPPD plus 18% gratuity. 

I hardly drink but I'm D+ on rcl. They have the best perks so I wish I had concentrated more on rcl pre covid. I currently get 5 free drinks a day and 2 days of wifi. I let them bill me the $18 per day, doesnt bother me. Isnt ncl $20 a day? 

For me I'd rather wifi than the drinks pkg. When I order drinks I tip a bit extra, and maybe $10 cash tip for a pay restaurant even though I do understand they already charged me 18%. Doesnt feel like a tip. How much anyone tips probably depends on their style of cruising, what they like to do. Some drink, I'd rather eat. I bet asking 10 people you get 10 answers. Maybe it comes doen to what you want. I'm doing a long TA and then a 10 day leg and sure want wifi, but not quite pinnacle. So wifi big for me too. I've been splurging a bit and adding a extra day once onboard to the free 2 days even with 7 days. 13 and 10 days .. wifi would come before drinks. Drink in the ports?

• Like 1

Think of a JS as an Extra Large Balcony room with a tub and on older ships, like Brilliance, a walk-in closet, and you get 1 extra C&A point per night. (2 instead of 1).

• Like 4

RCCL's Brilliance of the Seas and NCL's Breakaway of the Seas are very different ships.

Brilliance is a RCCL Radiance-class ship which entered the fleet in 2002. It's one of Royal's smaller, older ships (second smallest class). Though it was "Revitalized" in 2013, the ship does feel a bit dated, and the Junior Suite is really just a slightly larger balcony stateroom - not at all a suite experience, and doesn't hold a candle to Aqua Class on Celebrity. No exclusive restaurant like Blu, doesn't include access to thermal suites like Persian Garden, and the Junior Suite's furnishings and bedding is nothing like Celebrity's "Revolutionized" staterooms. If AquaClass on Celebrity is your bar, I think you'll be disappointed in Brilliance of the Seas.

Breakaway is one of NCL's Breakaway Class ships, and entered service in 2013. It introduced The Waterfront, an oceanfront promenade with outdoor dining and bars on deck 8, overlooking the water. Assuming you're looking at the Family Club Balcony Suite, like Royal's Junior Suite, not much is offered in the way of amenities. It's basically just a larger stateroom. Don't get me wrong, I've stayed in a Club Suite on NCL Encore and appreciate the large bathroom with the double vanity, but there aren't really any suite perks. But, I can say that the interior of NCL Family Club Balcony Suite is much more modern and feels more luxurious than RCCL Brilliance Junior Suite.

It sounds like Breakaway is a better value. But definitely take a look at both ships and determine what cruising experience you're seeking, because that will give you your answer. Hope that helps!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Service charges beyond your fare for a Royal Caribbean junior suite is the OPTIONAL $18 per day per person “gratuity”

An alcohol package, utilizing dynamic demand based pricing, would have me budgeting in the neighborhood of $70 PPPD plus 18% gratuity. 

Another poster mentioned internet as well and I forgot to mention it in my OP.  That is another negative with the Junior Suite room on RC.  Internet is NOT included, whereas with NCL, a Junior Suite with Free at Sea includes 150 minutes of wi-fi per person.  I believe the RC agent estimated a significant additional amount for internet access as well, and since we definitely want at least some internet access, that would jack up the cost for RC as well compared to NCL.

16 minutes ago, LittleMissMagic said:

RCCL's Brilliance of the Seas and NCL's Breakaway of the Seas are very different ships.

Brilliance is a RCCL Radiance-class ship which entered the fleet in 2002. It's one of Royal's smaller, older ships (second smallest class). Though it was "Revitalized" in 2013, the ship does feel a bit dated, and the Junior Suite is really just a slightly larger balcony stateroom - not at all a suite experience, and doesn't hold a candle to Aqua Class on Celebrity. No exclusive restaurant like Blu, doesn't include access to thermal suites like Persian Garden, and the Junior Suite's furnishings and bedding is nothing like Celebrity's "Revolutionized" staterooms. If AquaClass on Celebrity is your bar, I think you'll be disappointed in Brilliance of the Seas.

Breakaway is one of NCL's Breakaway Class ships, and entered service in 2013. It introduced The Waterfront, an oceanfront promenade with outdoor dining and bars on deck 8, overlooking the water. Assuming you're looking at the Family Club Balcony Suite, like Royal's Junior Suite, not much is offered in the way of amenities. It's basically just a larger stateroom. Don't get me wrong, I've stayed in a Club Suite on NCL Encore and appreciate the large bathroom with the double vanity, but there aren't really any suite perks. But, I can say that the interior of NCL Family Club Balcony Suite is much more modern and feels more luxurious than RCCL Brilliance Junior Suite.

It sounds like Breakaway is a better value. But definitely take a look at both ships and determine what cruising experience you're seeking, because that will give you your answer. Hope that helps!

You provided a lot of very useful information.  Thank you.  I actually have that Family Club Balcony booked with NCL.  How could I not at least book it when it only cost a $250 fully refundable deposit, and i have until November to pay the balance?!  That's a lot of time for no cost second thoughts if it ever comes to that. 

I actually like the NCL itinerary better than the RC even though they both go from Southampton to Barcelona.  I also like the fact that the NCL cruise is in late March, as opposed to the RC cruise which is in May.  My only hesitation about the Breakaway is that it is SUCH a huge ship, and has so many more potential passengers than than the Brilliance of the Sea.  But my post on the Cruise Critic NCL forum got almost universally positive comments about the Breakaway, including from someone who is blogging while currently on the Breakaway.

3 hours ago, RosieRoo said:

I have been on both ships. Not sure if you realize it or not, but those are two vastly different ships. 

I absolutely know there is a difference in size, and in the number of passengers.  I did not realize until the comments on this post how old much older a ship the Brilliance is, and that the larger size of the RC stateroom does not compensate for a number of other factors.

1 hour ago, LittleMissMagic said:

Thanks for some very useful background on all both of the ships I am considering now, as well as apparently having personal knowledge of the Celebrity AquaClass experience . I don't expect that either cabin would rival not just the AquaClass suite on Celebrity, but also the AquaClass perks, of which the BLU was the most notable by far for us.  But on balance, I feel much more comfortable now staying with the RCL Breakaway for a number of factors, only one of which is overall price. The Breakaway, combined with the Free at Sea package, and the up front inclusion of all service charges and gratuities, makes me very comfortable with my decision.  

You can drive yourself crazy thinking of all of the what-ifs, and hoping to compare apples to apples, but in the end, go with your gut, right?  Like I told one other commenter, how could I not go wrong with paying a $250 fully refundable down payment to hold my NCL cabin, and having until November to decide if I want to pay the balance?  

• Like 1

I'm D+ on Royal and about to go on my 2nd cruise with NCL.  Have done the JS on Royal.  Have inside on NCL.  Frankly, I would pick NCL in your case based on your prior cruise AQ experience with Celebrity.  It reads as if you are a Blu fan (I am not).  You will most likely not like the specialty dining or dining in general on Royal.  Norwegian has more of a selection.  Norwegian also has the great promos with the air, internet, shore excursion, drink package offers (not sure if for your sailing though,).  Royal has not offered anything extra for quite some time.  

What always helps me is watching videos of bloggers.

We tend to lean towards the better itinerary. 

5 hours ago, RWK1952 said:

But on balance, I feel much more comfortable now staying with the RCL Breakaway for a number of factors, only one of which is overall price.

I'm assuming typo. You booked the NCL breakaway .. not the RCL breakaway.

I did this ship and loved it but it wasnt recently. Good cruise and I enjoyed the food.

Hello,

For what little extra you get in/with a Junior Suite, I think it should be renamed to something like 'Extra Large cabin with Balcony' so as not to raise expectations falsely.

In addition to the above, you do get a printed Cruise Compass without asking, but (on Anthem) you don't get a walk-in wardrobe in all JS.

Regards,

Cublet

11 hours ago, RWK1952 said:

Another poster mentioned internet as well and I forgot to mention it in my OP.  That is another negative with the Junior Suite room on RC.  Internet is NOT included, whereas with NCL, a Junior Suite with Free at Sea includes 150 minutes of wi-fi per person.  I believe the RC agent estimated a significant additional amount for internet access as well, and since we definitely want at least some internet access, that would jack up the cost for RC as well compared to NCL.

If you purchase the internet when you are on board, the cost has been running ~$25 PPPD +18% "service" charge. Purchasing prior to boarding can save you $$ depending on how many people/devices you would be using.

Regarding drink packages, figure ~$3 for water, ~$5 for sodas, ~$10/beer and ~$15 for mixed drinks. You would have to drink a LOT in order to cover the ~$90+PPPD cost of a drink package since every adult in the cabin has to purchase it.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, orville99 said:

If you purchase the internet when you are on board, the cost has been running ~$25 PPPD +18% "service" charge. Purchasing prior to boarding can save you $$ depending on how many people/devices you would be 

I've never gotten charged 18%. For wifi. Here is my last purchase of a extra night plus my free 2 nights (till the end of the cruise). No 18% has ever been charged for my wifi.

20240317_100455858.jpeg

Edited by firefly333

12 hours ago, RWK1952 said:

You can purchase internet (Voom) on cruise planner prior to boarding.    IF you need only 1 device the price has been running around $18 or $19/day but must purchase for the entire cruise if bought on cruise planner.    Black Friday sales in November usually offer the best price for extras such as internet and drink packages.    

If you do Not need internet every day and want to wait until middle or towards end of your cruise you could save yourself some money and buy onboard.    

If your sailing is port intense, most European sailings are, then you may not want to purchase the alcohol package (deluxe beverage package) you may be better just paying as you go.   The usual breakeven is anywhere from 5 to 7 drinks per day.

You could purchase the refreshment package that gives you bottled water, speciality coffees, fresh squeezed juices and soda then pay for any wine, beer or cocktails as you go. 

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm assuming typo. You booked the NCL breakaway .. not the RCL breakaway.

I did this ship and loved it but it wasnt recently. Good cruise and I enjoyed the food.

Correct.  The Breakaway is a huge Norwegian ship.

8 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I'm D+ on Royal and about to go on my 2nd cruise with NCL.  Have done the JS on Royal.  Have inside on NCL.  Frankly, I would pick NCL in your case based on your prior cruise AQ experience with Celebrity.  It reads as if you are a Blu fan (I am not).  You will most likely not like the specialty dining or dining in general on Royal.  Norwegian has more of a selection.  Norwegian also has the great promos with the air, internet, shore excursion, drink package offers (not sure if for your sailing though,).  Royal has not offered anything extra for quite some time.  

What always helps me is watching videos of bloggers.

We tend to lean towards the better itinerary. 

I am definitely leaning with staying on the Breakaway.  Just too many factors in their favor, IMO.  The BLU on Celebrity is likely a bit of an acquired taste.  Obviously, there are not many options for the various dinner courses.  But we never found us not liking at least one of the four options for each course, I believe.  It was also extremely easy to just walk in without a reservation and get a table.  I don't believe that we ever waited more than about 15 minutes, and most of the time we were seated immediately.  Since it was also a much smaller venue, and we ate there at least four, maybe five times during the 7 day cruise.   We came to know some of the other cruisers.

We also greatly enjoyed the Celebrity buffet every morning so it's not like we have to dine elegantly in order to be satisfied.  I am quite certain we will find many good food options on NCL.  

One other specialty option we tried and enjoyed on Celebrity was Le Petit Chef. That was a unique experience.  We also found out that it was much less expensive on ship than it is if you were to go to one of their land restaurants, of which there are many all around the world. 

Slide41.JPG

50 minutes ago, RWK1952 said:

I am definitely leaning with staying on the Breakaway.  Just too many factors in their favor, IMO.  The BLU on Celebrity is likely a bit of an acquired taste.  Obviously, there are not many options for the various dinner courses.  But we never found us not liking at least one of the four options for each course, I believe.  It was also extremely easy to just walk in without a reservation and get a table.  I don't believe that we ever waited more than about 15 minutes, and most of the time we were seated immediately.  Since it was also a much smaller venue, and we ate there at least four, maybe five times during the 7 day cruise.   We came to know some of the other cruisers.

We also greatly enjoyed the Celebrity buffet every morning so it's not like we have to dine elegantly in order to be satisfied.  I am quite certain we will find many good food options on NCL.  

One other specialty option we tried and enjoyed on Celebrity was Le Petit Chef. That was a unique experience.  We also found out that it was much less expensive on ship than it is if you were to go to one of their land restaurants, of which there are many all around the world. 

Slide41.JPG

This is true re NCL food.  There definitely is more of a variety for free then the Brilliance 3 specialty dining restaurants, MDR, and buffet.  We have been on 33 cruises with MSC, Royal, Celebrity, NCL and Carnival.  Our favorite is NCL for food followed by MSC, Celebrity, Carnival and last, by a distance, is Royal.  My husband really enjoyed the variety on NCL.  He hates gimmicky places (le petit chef, Wonderland) and we both hated Blu.  I couldn't eat half the menu due to food intolerance and allergy.  A lot of food had nuts, shellfish, seafood or mushrooms which was annoying.  I would just get the same thing every night either a steak salad or something from the MDR menu.  Speaking to wait staff was not always helpful as I got tired of explaining by night 3 so I ate at the buffet if menu was unappealing.  MSC YC I had no issues ever at their restaurant.  

I also LOVE the thermal spa on NCL.  THIS is where NCL excels over Royal.  I so wish my cruise on the 28th on the Spirit had the thallosotherapy pool!  Both Celebrity and Royal should take pointers from NCL and Carnival Cloud 9 for this option.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

This is true re NCL food.  There definitely is more of a variety for free then the Brilliance 3 specialty dining restaurants, MDR, and buffet.  We have been on 33 cruises with MSC, Royal, Celebrity, NCL and Carnival.  Our favorite is NCL for food followed by MSC, Celebrity, Carnival and last, by a distance, is Royal.  My husband really enjoyed the variety on NCL.  He hates gimmicky places (le petit chef, Wonderland) and we both hated Blu.  I couldn't eat half the menu due to food intolerance and allergy.  A lot of food had nuts, shellfish, seafood or mushrooms which was annoying.  I would just get the same thing every night either a steak salad or something from the MDR menu.  Speaking to wait staff was not always helpful as I got tired of explaining by night 3 so I ate at the buffet if menu was unappealing.  MSC YC I had no issues ever at their restaurant.  

I also LOVE the thermal spa on NCL.  THIS is where NCL excels over Royal.  I so wish my cruise on the 28th on the Spirit had the thallosotherapy pool!  Both Celebrity and Royal should take pointers from NCL and Carnival Cloud 9 for this option.

Thank you.  I appreciate your honest opinions and also the fact that you obviously have many years of experience doing cruising on many different cruise lines.  Clearly, we are newbies, what with the Celebrity Millennium being our only other experience so far.  But that was a good experience and the responses I have received to my posts on Cruise Critic make us confident we will enjoy the NCL Breakaway as well.

Edited by RWK1952
  • Like 1