Live from the Vista - March 27 (Miami) to May 1 (Trieste)

Hlitner

The pace of meal courses aside…I am becoming more and more worried about the observation that Oceania ships become ghost towns shortly after 10pm! I think I’ve made a horrible mistake. What exactly is the demographic on these ships? Some “go to bed at 8:30pm” 😳

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, osandomir said:

While I understand your disappointment I personally wouldn’t think it would warrant a complete waste of the food that had been ordered. We always try to be very particular when ordering in any restaurant to avoid the situation like that.

Food waste is built in to the price of the cruise (or the restaurant on land.)  Frugality is not a hallmark of cruising.

7 hours ago, Acrusa said:

Just to let you know ask someone behind the middle counter in the terrace cafe to pour from the fresh squeezed oj  that's in the fridge under the counter 

Funny you mentioned this 😋. This evening we saw a couple, who is following this blog, who gave us the same tip.  

Hank

• Like 2

Don’t really see the problem of ordering drinks first,and having the waiter wait to take your order. Politely let the waiter know they you’ll let him know when you’re ready to order.   As Jack Nicholson said in a classic old movie, “ The Last Detail” . Just as easy to have it the way you want it. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I mentioned in an earlier post that there is no Prime Rib on the menu of any of the reservation-only restaurants.  But I noticed on our TV menus, that in the GDR (tonight) one of the mains is "grilled Prime Rib."  We shall see what that is all about :).  

FWIW.  Since we returned to cruising and Oceania post-COVID, we noted the absence of prime rib in Polo, which was no great loss as previously our experience was not good when ordering it there.  We continue to find it much more to our liking in Terrace, where it's a perennial carving station offering at least once on every cruise (pre- and post-COVID).  It's always roasted to perfection and sliced as you want it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kay S said:

Food waste is built in to the price of the cruise (or the restaurant on land.)  Frugality is not a hallmark of cruising.

My point of view is obviously different from yours. It’s not about frugality or who’s going to pay for the waste. I juts prefer not to contribute to it when it’s possible. And while this isn’t my main concern, you are right, the more of the food is wasted the more we all pay for the cruises because it’s “built” into the price.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, osandomir said:

While I understand your disappointment I personally wouldn’t think it would warrant a complete waste of the food that had been ordered. We always try to be very particular when ordering in any restaurant to avoid the situation like that.

I shudder to think what was in that second main that you couldn't taste but those in the back got a chuckle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kay S said:

It's a bit more than normal waste though, right? Ordering something, and then telling them to throw it out and make something else without ever taking a single bite, simply because they brought it promptly and fresh (as they should have), is cartoonishly entitled. Granted I'm probably 3 decades younger than the average Oceania passenger, but this behavior and attitude is jaw dropping to me.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, proton-excitement said:

It's a bit more than normal waste though, right? Ordering something, and then telling them to throw it out and make something else without ever taking a single bite, simply because they brought it promptly and fresh (as they should have), is cartoonishly entitled. Granted I'm probably 3 decades younger than the average Oceania passenger, but this behavior and attitude is jaw dropping to me.

Agree 100%. But some people are never happy. Too slow? Not good, it came cold Too fast, hot and fresh? Send it back and bring me another one.

Unreal.

• Like 3

On 4/2/2024 at 7:55 AM, WNcruiser said:

Of course not. Sitting at a table in Waves or Terrace and not having anyone come by with water asking if you would like coffee or tea in the AM. Dirty dishes sitting for extended periods with staff walking by ignoring them.

During lunch at Waves yesterday we had no silverware on the table. We asked three different staff members for silverware which never came. We finally took it from another table. Twice in Aquamar no one came to take our order, we had to flag someone down. 

In Ember our steaks came out completely overcooked. No one came to check to make sure they were cooked properly. Again we had to flag down our waiter to let him know. 

In my opinion the majority of the crew just do the bare minimum and are not overly friendly. We have found a couple that are better and try and stick with them. No where near Regent or Seabourn service. 

So odd that we were on the two sailings just prior to yours and found no similar issues.  Our experience was the total opposite as we found the staff to be so overly concerned with our satisfaction that it bordered on being bothersome at times.

Our experience was that this was among (if not the best) service that we have had of all of our Oceania cruises.....funny how we all have varying degrees of satisfaction and opinions.....Guess that is what makes the world go around.  Hope your last day or two provide you with a better experience....

• Like 3

6 hours ago, proton-excitement said:

I must be misunderstanding: So you ordered an appetizer and a main, and once you finished your appetizer they brought the main, but you refused what you originally ordered?

We finished our appetizers the Busboy took and cleared them and the waiter delivered our meal as the appetizers where removed. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Acrusa said:

We finished our appetizers the Busboy took and cleared them and the waiter delivered our meal as the appetizers where removed. 

So where is the issue? Would you prefer that they wait in the kitchen to give you a pause? I guess you would complain then that they arrived cold?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, chloemonkey said:

So odd that we were on the two sailings just prior to yours and found no similar issues.  Our experience was the total opposite as we found the staff to be so overly concerned with our satisfaction that it bordered on being bothersome at times.

Our experience was that this was among (if not the best) service that we have had of all of our Oceania cruises.....funny how we all have varying degrees of satisfaction and opinions.....Guess that is what makes the world go around.  Hope your last day or two provide you with a better experience....

Maybe it's a matter of perspective and attitude?  

We didn't experience anything like this on any of our O sailings (Riviera and Regatta), and the new ships usually get the best staff available. or maybe we did and just didn't pay much attention?

If you are looking for faults hard enough, you will always find something..

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

So where is the issue? Would you prefer that they wait in the kitchen to give you a pause? I guess you would complain then that they arrived cold?

So you would dine in a Toscana style restaurant in less then 30 minutes pay any where between $150.00 and $200.00 and say you had a fine dinning experience. Too each his own.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Acrusa said:

So you would dine in a Toscana style restaurant in less then 30 minutes pay any where between $150.00 and $200.00 and say you had a fine dinning experience. Too each his own.

We never spent less than 60-70 minutes in any specialty restaurant on O. And if they brought me the main dish right after the appetizer, I would definitely not send it back just because it arrived too fast.

And honestly, if I was the chef of this restaurant, I would delay the next dish by an hour to give a customer "a fine dinning experience", then let it sit for another 10 minutes so it gets cold and then send it to the table.

But you are right, Too each his own.

Edited by ak1004
  • Like 3

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your personal experience on the ship.  It's fair and refreshing - some good, some so/so and some not so good.  We've cruised with "O" about 8 times, then moved over to Regent for about 9 cruise-after that we moved to Silversea. We've enjoy all the cruises taken, had some great times and a few not so great.  We've just booked an "O" cruise coming, so it's great to understand what's going on now at "O".  Thanks again........looking forward to reading more.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chloemonkey said:

I just brought up some service issues as I was asked for specifics. I am not basing my entire cruise on these issues. We had a great dinner in Polo last night with excellent service. 

There was a large change in crew in Miami so maybe that has something to do with it? Thank you for your respectful response..and we still have a week! 😊

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Acrusa said:

I'm with Acrusa here. The main course should not arrive the second the first course is cleared away and I understand why a different second course was ordered as obviously, the original one would be cold by the time there was a respectable gap between courses.

However, it is up to us, as customers, to let the staff know how we wish to pace our meals. I certainly don't want 'fast food', however, I'm not eating in a 30 cover restaurant, I'm eating on a 1200 cover ship so a little input from me helps provide my perfect timing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Maybe it's a matter of perspective and attitude?  

We didn't experience anything like this on any of our O sailings (Riviera and Regatta), and the new ships usually get the best staff available. or maybe we did and just didn't pay much attention?

If you are looking for faults hard enough, you will always find something..

It’s definitely not attitude. I am nothing but respectful and polite to the crew. I only answered your question and gave you some specifics as requested. 

it was merely a comparison and we are all entitled to our own opinions and reviews of our experience. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jackdeb said:

fdnycruiser are you confusing Jack Nicholson movies of “ The last detail “ with  “ five easy pieces “ and his egg salad sandwich? 

Jack& Deb, although Jack made it clear in 5 easy pieces how he wanted his whole wheat toast, I wasn’t referring to that. In the Last Detail, a meek & timid Randy  Quaid wanted the cheese on his cheeseburger melted. It doesn’t come melted and Quaid says, it’s okay. Jack says it isn’t ok, sends and back, and says, “ just as easy to have it the way you want it.

• Like 1

Good day folks,

This morning, several hundred late sleeping folks (we have lost an hours sleep for the past 3 nights) were cheerfully awakened by those nasty bells and the soothing voice of Peter (our CD) with his important 9:30 am (8:30 for many body clocks) announcement that breakfast was being served until 10!  He then went on with his other important items which was to read the schedule found in Currents!  If these annoying announcements are O company policy then they should have a PA system in their home office and be disturbed several times a day by such important announcements.

We continue moving eastward (at about 18 knots) towards Madeira.  It has turned into a gorgeous warm day and quite a few fellow passengers have been spending some time in the sun (including yours truly).

Today I will talk about a popular O topic which is the cuisine.  Last night, DW and I enjoyed dinner in the GDR and my meal was truly enjoyable.  In fact, my starter was a true star and something we hope DW can duplicate at home.  It was on the menu as "Crispy Scallops parrillas."  It was a dish suitable for the cover of Bon Appetit!  Small scallops (not sure if they were bay scallops or cut-up sea scallops) were wrapped in crispy phyllo dough and surrounded by a colorful garnish.  For me, it was the most interesting dish (so far) we have had on the Vista.  Yesterday I mentioned that "grilled prime rib" was on the menu and I decided to give it a try.  Our waiter warned me that it was not normal "prime rib" but simply slices.  The plate had 3 slices (similar to the size and shape of London Broil slices) with a brown gravy.  The slices of beef were over 1/4 inch thick and were truly prime rib presented in a different way.  The taste was good (just like eating a big slab of prime rib) and the gravy tasted like an au jus reduction.  It was easy to see the economic benefit of serving prime rib in this manner, but the taste and texture were spot on.  The Vista has an excellent pastry chef because we have found almost all the breads to be excellent.  That being said, I am still looking for my first New York quality bagel on a ship.  The bagels here are quite good, but they do not have that proper chewy texture one finds in the bagels of New York or Montreal.

For lunch we returned to our favorite lunch venue which is Waves.  I had the Philly Cheesesteak, which is my favorite sandwich in Waves.  I do think we could crown Waves as having the "best sandwiches" at sea.  Many folks are fond of Aquamar, but this ole guy is not looking for "healthy cuisine" on this cruise  🙂  Speaking of Waves, DW has enjoyed several of the decent malted milk shakes.  Today we were also able to get our requested Perrier.  Yesterday there was none on the ship, so it must have magically been smuggled aboard via pirate ship (in the middle of the night).  

We are finally on Madeira time and today's schedule is back to normal with a single 9:30 show.  After more than a week of relaxing sea days we now must try to find the energy to handle many upcoming ports

Hank

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Good day folks,

This morning, several hundred late sleeping folks (we have lost an hours sleep for the past 3 nights) were cheerfully awakened by those nasty bells and the soothing voice of Peter (our CD) with his important 9:30 am (8:30 for many body clocks) announcement that breakfast was being served until 10!  He then went on with his other important items which was to read the schedule found in Currents!  If these annoying announcements are O company policy then they should have a PA system in their home office and be disturbed several times a day by such important announcements.

We continue moving eastward (at about 18 knots) towards Madeira.  It has turned into a gorgeous warm day and quite a few fellow passengers have been spending some time in the sun (including yours truly).

Today I will talk about a popular O topic which is the cuisine.  Last night, DW and I enjoyed dinner in the GDR and my meal was truly enjoyable.  In fact, my starter was a true star and something we hope DW can duplicate at home.  It was on the menu as "Crispy Scallops parrillas."  It was a dish suitable for the cover of Bon Appetit!  Small scallops (not sure if they were bay scallops or cut-up sea scallops) were wrapped in crispy phyllo dough and surrounded by a colorful garnish.  For me, it was the most interesting dish (so far) we have had on the Vista.  Yesterday I mentioned that "grilled prime rib" was on the menu and I decided to give it a try.  Our waiter warned me that it was not normal "prime rib" but simply slices.  The plate had 3 slices (similar to the size and shape of London Broil slices) with a brown gravy.  The slices of beef were over 1/4 inch thick and were truly prime rib presented in a different way.  The taste was good (just like eating a big slab of prime rib) and the gravy tasted like an au jus reduction.  It was easy to see the economic benefit of serving prime rib in this manner, but the taste and texture were spot on.  The Vista has an excellent pastry chef because we have found almost all the breads to be excellent.  That being said, I am still looking for my first New York quality bagel on a ship.  The bagels here are quite good, but they do not have that proper chewy texture one finds in the bagels of New York or Montreal.

For lunch we returned to our favorite lunch venue which is Waves.  I had the Philly Cheesesteak, which is my favorite sandwich in Waves.  I do think we could crown Waves as having the "best sandwiches" at sea.  Many folks are fond of Aquamar, but this ole guy is not looking for "healthy cuisine" on this cruise  🙂  Speaking of Waves, DW has enjoyed several of the decent malted milk shakes.  Today we were also able to get our requested Perrier.  Yesterday there was none on the ship, so it must have magically been smuggled aboard via pirate ship (in the middle of the night).  

We are finally on Madeira time and today's schedule is back to normal with a single 9:30 show.  After more than a week of relaxing sea days we now must try to find the energy to handle many upcoming ports

Hank

Thank you Hank for your continuous reports!

We always loved the bread on O!

Do they still have surf and turf in Waves?

Also, did you try the afternoon tea?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Good day folks,

Hank

We found the water on Vista not great so I would have them pour Perrier at all the venues we ate at. Also at the pool the bar had small bottles of Perrier also had room steward supply us with them 

Edited by Acrusa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Do they still have surf and turf in Waves

I was on Vista six weeks ago and Waves menu differs from other Oceania ships in that they have replaced beef filet with waygu ground beef to go with the lobster. Was told this is an "test" along with some other changes in the menu. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2