Reduced pricing on existing reservation-anyone have experience?

Just now, Tree_skier said:

I understand that their are consumer protections in UK that are not in the US... That being said we see on this board all the time residents of the UK bemoaning the fact that they can't access price reductions. This thread is about price reductions. 

And when was the last time you heard of one posting how their "consumer protections" actually helped them.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I understand that their are consumer protections in UK that are not in the US... That being said we see on this board all the time residents of the UK bemoaning the fact that they can't access price reductions. This thread is about price reductions. 

Definitely something to consider but people have to understand and do their research to see if it is good for them personally. 

Some things look good on the surface but people have to see if it is good for them.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, GJustice said:

Several of us are booked on a November 2024 cruise and got reductions of $2400 this week. Just call and they'll take care of it.

Yup, was Lucky myself with $1500 Cruise reduction just last week

10 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

And when was the last time you heard of one posting how their "consumer protections" actually helped them.  

Don't get me wrong I would prefer price reductions like you enjoy in the US but I was very grateful for the consumer protection when we were taken care of on holiday with Thomas Cook (probably the size of RCI) who went bankrupt in 2019.

Consumer protection is a bit like insurance, its of no use until you actually need it.

I saw a $200 price drop 9n my 2025 Asia cruise. Called to reprice, as I have many times over the years. First she tried to cancel it altogether. I should have known then to hang up. Then she reprices... from $5200 to $11000 ! *****? She says "you probably want your original price, I don't know how to do that". I stayed on the line 40 minutes just to get back to original price.  I lambasted her on the follow up email survey,  which I never do.

3 minutes ago, LucasLounger1 said:

I saw a $200 price drop 9n my 2025 Asia cruise. Called to reprice, as I have many times over the years. First she tried to cancel it altogether. I should have known then to hang up. Then she reprices... from $5200 to $11000 ! *****? She says "you probably want your original price, I don't know how to do that". I stayed on the line 40 minutes just to get back to original price.  I lambasted her on the follow up email survey,  which I never do.

To correct myself, that was celebrity,  but still same company.

32 minutes ago, Tin can said:

Don't get me wrong I would prefer price reductions like you enjoy in the US but I was very grateful for the consumer protection when we were taken care of on holiday with Thomas Cook (probably the size of RCI) who went bankrupt in 2019.

The chances of RCI going bankrupt are not only close to zero, but deposits are held in escrow, so you'd likely get that back even if they did.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The chances of RCI going bankrupt are not only close to zero, but deposits are held in escrow, so you'd likely get that back even if they did.

Absolutely agree, the Royal comparison was just to indicate they were similar sized companies when Thomas Cook filed bankruptcy.

If Royal does keep US deposits in escrow then great as there is no federal US law requiring them to do so and I'm fairly sure deposits were used as working capital during Covid with the 125% FCC incentive. This wouldn't have been the case with UK funds even though we got the FCC promotion as there is law in place here that funds are held securely.

With all that being said I would still prefer your US price adjustments 😐

Edited by Tin can

12 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

How many UK posters do you see on this section of CC that would be reporting their experiences? Whilst it is probably OK for most, let’s not get blasé about it. It’s probably akin to insurance, some people take a risk and some people don’t. You don’t need it …..,  until you do.

Sometimes timing and circumstances matter.  Easy to say from your position selling cruises in US market but like everything else people need to step back and consider if it is right for them.

From personal experience there is a bigger picture.

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

How many UK posters do you see on this section of CC that would be reporting their experiences? Whilst it is probably OK for most, let’s not get blasé about it. It’s probably akin to insurance, some people take a risk and some people don’t. You don’t need it …..,  until you do.

Sometimes timing and circumstances matter.  Easy to say from your position selling cruises in US market but like everything else people need to step back and consider if it is right for them.

From personal experience there is a bigger picture.

There are also other North American jurisdictions that offer basically the same protections as the UK consumer laws yet still offer all the benefits of booking through a North American agent.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

There are also other North American jurisdictions that offer basically the same protections as the UK consumer laws yet still offer all the benefits of booking through a North American agent.

Good to know, again not something you hear much about or see widely discussed. Are you referring to Canada, or the US, and would this protect bookings from UK?

I am not saying people booking from UK wouldn’t like, or appreciate, the booking flexibility, as @Tin can confirms,  I am saying it isn’t as simple as, “one size fits all” and they need to understand what they are doing and the differences and not get carried away in the euphoria. 

It isn’t as simple as just “booking a cruise with a US agent”. It will work for some and not for others. Obviously, ideally, people would like the advantages from both systems. 

3 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Look on the bright side: you bought your cruises at very good prices!

I actually never expect any reductions.  Almost all of my cruises are booked when the itineraries are released. I almost always book group rates through my TA so I'm already starting at a reduced price.  The only time I have gotten a reduction in the last year has been on a cruise in 2025 that I booked a GS on and it dropped a tiny bit.  

I used to check religiously now, if I have time, I'll go through them once a month.  When you book right you don't really have to worry about price drops.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I actually never expect any reductions.  Almost all of my cruises are booked when the itineraries are released. I almost always book group rates through my TA so I'm already starting at a reduced price.  The only time I have gotten a reduction in the last year has been on a cruise in 2025 that I booked a GS on and it dropped a tiny bit.  

I used to check religiously now, if I have time, I'll go through them once a month.  When you book right you don't really have to worry about price drops.

I do the same but occasionally sneak in a deal that presents itself for the spring or fall after Black Friday or Cyber-Monday deals through my TA. I check more often then you and I have never had a price reduction since post reopening.

I think I check just to be happy about the deal I got.  😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Good to know, again not something you hear much about or see widely discussed. Are you referring to Canada, or the US, and would this protect bookings from UK?

In Canada it is provincially regulated but I know that Ontario has it.  It covers failures of travel agencies, cruise lines and airlines.  It protects anyone regardless of residence who was booked through an agent in that province

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I think I check just to be happy about the deal I got.  😁

If I was honest that's really all I'm checking for now too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

In Canada it is provincially regulated but I know that Ontario has it.  It covers failures of travel agencies, cruise lines and airlines.  It protects anyone regardless of residence who was booked through an agent in that province

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Or they can book usa rates thru a canadian TA and get canadian protections??!!

Does this require booking in Canadian$?

17 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Does this require booking in Canadian$?

It does not require booking in canadian dollars to get covered per my TA, as ourusualbeach posted anyone who books with a TA where he is in Ontario is covered by those local laws. .. though I actually do have some booked in canadian dollars. With canadian obc. I'm just not booking planner items ahead probably and let it sit. I have not asked for shareholder obc for those. Dont know if it's a issue. It was a oddball situation. Just the one time.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

It does not require booking in canadian dollars to get covered per my TA, as ourusualbeach posted anyone who books with a TA where he is in Ontario is covered by those local laws. .. though I actually do have some booked in canadian dollars. With canadian obc. I'm just not booking planner items ahead probably and let it sit. I have not asked for shareholder obc for those. Dont know if it's a issue. It was a oddball situation. Just the one time.

I have several in Canadian dollars and have my stockholder obc on all of them 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Thanks,  I have been reading up.

I assume this is TICO? It certainly seems to cover some of the gaps in the differences. Good to know.