Jupiter TA, BA to Barcelona

PGI GUY

This VO voyage number 10 for us and I will try to answer any questions.  The weather has been rain and wind since we left Montevideo,  we never got off in Rio due to heavy rain. Those who want on tours had a very wet day.

We had dinner the first night at Manfredies and it was the menu w/o osso bucolic, no lasagna or any veal items.I had the bisticca rib eye it was good but very thin.

The crew is very friendly and helpful. 

I will post more later.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PGI GUY said:

This VO voyage number 10 for us and I will try to answer any questions.  The weather has been rain and wind since we left Montevideo,  we never got off in Rio due to heavy rain. Those who want on tours had a very wet day.

We had dinner the first night at Manfredies and it was the menu w/o osso bucolic, no lasagna or any veal items.I had the bisticca rib eye it was good but very thin.

The crew is very friendly and helpful. 

I will post more later.

Thank you for continuing to post your experiences.  I will be following as we are doing this exact itinerary one year from now.  Will be interested to learn how the seas are when you cross the Atlantic.  And what activities they have.  

How are the lecturers and historians?

Have you been able to watch their talks and others (port talks) on TV OK?  our past cruise, the sound quality was so bad we couldn't manage, so resorted to seeing them live.

As for Manfredi's, you no doubt had menu #4 (of 5 being tried).  Many many threads on Manfredi's menu (one started by Clay Clayton recently) in which most describe similar thoughts.  Check it out.

We are on this cruise.  My husband was initially disappointed that no art classes but they are offering unhosted arts & crafts in Wintergarten on sea days.  Luckily there are other painters.  He goes to trivia and there is a chorus offering on this ship.  I have not been particularly impressed with the “expert lectures” or the subject matter.  Somewhat interesting content for what it is but dry delivery.  We haven’t been to the planetarium yet.  With heavy clouds and rain, stars are rather elusive!

re: Manfredi’s, I had the Viking Bistecca and while it wasn’t as thick as previous cruises nor prime, it was well prepared and very good.  My husband liked the chicken Parmesan.  The pork chop was also pretty tasty as was the fish special.

we did have a meet & mingle which seemed to be well attended.  Assortment of drinks offered but no canapés.  It was scheduled for 6:30pm on the second sea day which may have interfered with dinner plans.

previously we have been able to sign up for liquor and wine tastings.  They were all filled the first morning!  We’re on a waiting list but we were unaware you had to sign up upon boarding and nowhere was there a list of what, when and where.  You must specify directly to get an answer.  This is our 10th ocean, 13th cruise and this was a new wrinkle for us.

I would agree with the previous post, however I will attend several more talks before I make a final judgment on their ability and content. I will let you know how our sea conditions are,however sea conditions are based on wind speed and no knows what that will be like.

FYI  we have a little over 850 passengers on board.

4 hours ago, PRH said:

We haven’t been to the planetarium yet.  With heavy clouds and rain, stars are rather elusive!

The planetarium doesn't have a telescope. It's an IMAX style dome screen and a projector.

Thans for the  report of your cruise currently not he Jupiter. My last cruise in June 2023 was on the Jupiter. 

Could some one post how are the bartenders int he Aquavit bAr?  Is Michael one of them. They were the greatest. Loved the Cava I  got each evening pre dinner in the  Aquavit Bar with friends.

Have not visited that bar but some of the bartenders have a tendency to short pour. I have in most cases ordered a double  depending who the bartender is.

Hope this is another  cut back.

FYI  on the Juipter main evening dining are enforcing  the no shorts or blue jeans

If you  have black  or special designer  jeans maybe, if you show up like you just cut the grass you will probably have a problem.

I support the policy.  

• Like 6

15 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

The planetarium doesn't have a telescope. It's an IMAX style dome screen and a projector.

Actually I was talking about the star watch which is at night led by the speaker.

The resident astronomer was on deck 9 last night doing the Star watch and it was well attended. It was also the first night of the cruise that was not clouded over.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, PGI GUY said:

The resident astronomer was on deck 9 last night doing the Star watch and it was well attended. It was also the first night of the cruise that was not clouded over.

Always a plus when it comes to star watching.

• Like 3

We’re on the October Barcelona to Buenos Aires trip. Could you post excursions that are available on your cruise?  Also I’d love to have feedback on what excursions you take and how you liked them. 

• Like 1

It is a rather long list of excursions, and I am not handy enough to try to copy and paste using a cell phone..sorry. I will try and comment on the tours we take.

• Thanks 1

We did the included tour in Montevideo.  It was different than a few years ago when we stopped at Constitution Square, Parliment and the park with the statues.  This time it was a quick drive by and then stopping at the Carnival Museum.  The Museum was great—as was the included show.  The Carnival Museum is just a few blocks from the pier and next to the Market—lots of little shops and very good grilled meat restaurants.  I’m not sure if you can simply walk into the Museum—the costumes are amazing.  

We spent the morning walking around Montevideo down the pedestrian street (lots of shops) and to the three squares.  We took the afternoon included tour.  Ask for a city map at guest services which is significantly better than the one they hand out at the gangway.

We have been to Rio before and saw the Christ the Redeemer, the botanical gardens, the national forest, the beaches and the favelos so given the pouring rain and the pier being very far from town and the beaches, we stayed on board.  We were surprised by how far we were from the old town of Rio so take that into consideration.  Our plan had been to take a taxi to Copacobana and walk the beach—but not in pouring rain.

In Buenos Aires, we used AsadoAdventures for an Asado in Frank’s home in Palermo which included going to various shops for purchasing food items, a wine tasting and helping to prepare some of the food.  This is an excellent introduction to the Argentinian Asado (bbq) and our second time doing it.  We also used AsadoAdventures to schedule a trip out of the city to visit Areca—beautiful little town with silvercrafters and leather workers using traditional methods handed down.  Then out to an Estancia (ranch) for horseback riding, Asado and gaucho dancing and horsemanship demonstration.  This was less than half the price of Viking’s similar offer and there were four of us rather than a bus load.  It was also raining off and on but the ranch house was lovely and we ate out on the patio.  Generous amounts of food and Malbec.  A group of us went from the ship to a Tango show and dinner through Viator.  Again, much less expensive than Viking and there were 10 of us—picked up and brought back to the port.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, PRH said:

We did the included tour in Montevideo.  It was different than a few years ago when we stopped at Constitution Square, Parliment and the park with the statues.  This time it was a quick drive by and then stopping at the Carnival Museum.  The Museum was great—as was the included show.  The Carnival Museum is just a few blocks from the pier and next to the Market—lots of little shops and very good grilled meat restaurants.  I’m not sure if you can simply walk into the Museum—the costumes are amazing.  

We spent the morning walking around Montevideo down the pedestrian street (lots of shops) and to the three squares.  We took the afternoon included tour.  Ask for a city map at guest services which is significantly better than the one they hand out at the gangway.

We have been to Rio before and saw the Christ the Redeemer, the botanical gardens, the national forest, the beaches and the favelos so given the pouring rain and the pier being very far from town and the beaches, we stayed on board.  We were surprised by how far we were from the old town of Rio so take that into consideration.  Our plan had been to take a taxi to Copacobana and walk the beach—but not in pouring rain.

In Buenos Aires, we used AsadoAdventures for an Asado in Frank’s home in Palermo which included going to various shops for purchasing food items, a wine tasting and helping to prepare some of the food.  This is an excellent introduction to the Argentinian Asado (bbq) and our second time doing it.  We also used AsadoAdventures to schedule a trip out of the city to visit Areca—beautiful little town with silvercrafters and leather workers using traditional methods handed down.  Then out to an Estancia (ranch) for horseback riding, Asado and gaucho dancing and horsemanship demonstration.  This was less than half the price of Viking’s similar offer and there were four of us rather than a bus load.  It was also raining off and on but the ranch house was lovely and we ate out on the patio.  Generous amounts of food and Malbec.  A group of us went from the ship to a Tango show and dinner through Viator.  Again, much less expensive than Viking and there were 10 of us—picked up and brought back to the port.  

Thanks for your review os the excursions you’ve taken!

6 hours ago, PRH said:

In Buenos Aires, we used AsadoAdventures for an Asado in Frank’s home in Palermo which included going to various shops for purchasing food items, a wine tasting and helping to prepare some of the food.  This is an excellent introduction to the Argentinian Asado (bbq) and our second time doing it.  We also used AsadoAdventures to schedule a trip out of the city to visit Areca—beautiful little town with silvercrafters and leather workers using traditional methods handed down.  Then out to an Estancia (ranch) for horseback riding, Asado and gaucho dancing and horsemanship demonstration.  

Wonderful!  I'm so glad that Frank is back again after COVID!   The Asado experience we had with him at his home just before COVID was memorable (including walking around town doing the shopping with him for the food and wine).   Easily one of the best times we had.

We will plan to "redo" it again in a year when we are on this cruise.  Will also use your advise and book the other tours as well!  Thank you!

• Like 1

Today was Recife, Brazil.  Took the included walking tour.  Was 97 degrees and incredibly humid.  Guide was fine (he is also a pharmacist).  Lots of cobblestones and uneven walking.  Interesting town with a mix of architecture. You must take a bus from the ship to the terminal where there is a fair amount of walking.  Then walk from the terminal into town.  There is an artisan market not too far from the port.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

Are you guys drinking a lot?

We were only having one drink an evening but there are a number of Woodford drinkers on board.  Guess the South America cruise drained the larder before we boarded!

• Like 1

Today we crossed the equator so there was the ceremony.  This is our third time and I was surprised by how many passengers decided to take part in kissing the fish (Prince Sushi) and jumping into the pool.  Guess that’s what happens when people are getting their money’s worth from SS?

IMG_4310.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2