passport question.

Can anyone to use it? verify this for me.

On a closed loop cruise where a govt ID and a birth certificate is legal documentation does a passport have to have at least 6 months left on the passport for it to be valid? I think not but I see so many people say that you do have to have 6 months left on it.

1 minute ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

does a passport have to have at least 6 months left on the passport for it to be valid?

Only for cruises stopping in Colombia or Greenland (according to the Carnival website). I cruised to Cozumel and Costa Maya a couple of years ago with three months left on my passport and had no problems. 

• Like 1

Just now, nwcruiselover said:

Not unless the any country that is visited on the cruise has the requirement that the passport be valid for 6 months past the date of the visit.

Thank you. If a country needed a passport how does that work if you just have a birth certificate and govt ID? I always hear how the passport trumps the bc and govt ID.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Rudyard said:

Only for cruises stopping in Colombia or Greenland (according to the Carnival website). I cruised to Cozumel and Costa Maya a couple of years ago with three months left on my passport and had no problems. 

tyvm Rudyard. On another unnamed forum one person gives an answer, then everybody who reads the post is an expert and repeats it. smh

On the cruises that go to Columbia or Greenland everybody on the ship needs a passport, correct?

Edited by Illbcruzn4life
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

The general rule is your passport should not expire within 6 months of travel. Carnival specifically lists Greenland, Bermuda and Columbia in its own section but the section above that states the general rule. I imagine those places have stronger passport rules than others. Beyond those places, the cruises line will not keep you from cruising if within that frame. Most of the cruiselines have about the same rule.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1401/~/travel-documentation%3A-u.s.-permanent-residents

Edited by starstruck05
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Thank you. If a country needed a passport how does that work if you just have a birth certificate and govt ID? I always hear how the passport trumps the bc and govt ID.

If a passport was required for any port stop, you would be denied boarding if you didn't have one.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Can anyone to use it? verify this for me.

On a closed loop cruise where a govt ID and a birth certificate is legal documentation does a passport have to have at least 6 months left on the passport for it to be valid? I think not but I see so many people say that you do have to have 6 months left on it.

For some types of travel to other countries, a 6 month remainder may be required.  Carnival "recommends" 6 months, (not requires) should something happen and you need to remain in another country.  

• Like 2

I posted this a few days ago on the Celebrity forum.:

Good news. Things are popping at the Passport renewal office.  Mailed on March 1, renewal application, fee, photo (CVS pharmacy) and old passport. Received new one today. 

Used standard renewal, did not use expedited service. Used the online form to fill out application which has a QR code dedicated to your individual renewal.  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew.html

Mailed 2nd day priority to Irving Texas office.

Received new Passport today March 21 in priority second day envelope.

Summer is coming avoid the rush.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, starstruck05 said:

The general rule is your passport should not expire within 6 months of travel. Carnival specifically lists Greenland, Bermuda and Columbia in its own section but the section above that states the general rule. I imagine those places have stronger passport rules than others. Beyond those places, the cruises line will not keep you from cruising if within that frame. Most of the cruiselines have about the same rule.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1401/~/travel-documentation%3A-u.s.-permanent-residents

It is not a general rule, it is simply a recommendation (it may be a subtle distinction, but calling something a "rule" when it is not one gives it more importance than it really has). There are a handful of countries throughout the world that actually require one to have 6 months validity remaining at the end of one's trip (so if you were visiting said country for a month your passport would need 7 months validity remaining at the beginning of your trip). There are some cruise lines (fortunately Carnival is not one of them) that do require 6 months remaining at the end of the trip (usually the luxury lines). Not sure why Bermuda is listed because even someone visiting by air only needs a passport that is valid for the duration of their trip. AFAIK Cuba and Martinique are the only islands in the Caribbean that have such a requirement and most cruise lines will not call on those islands on a closed loop cruise.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

It is not a general rule, it is simply a recommendation (it may be a subtle distinction, but calling something a "rule" when it is not one gives it more importance than it really has). There are a handful of countries throughout the world that actually require one to have 6 months validity remaining at the end of one's trip (so if you were visiting said country for a month your passport would need 7 months validity remaining at the beginning of your trip). There are some cruise lines (fortunately Carnival is not one of them) that do require 6 months remaining at the end of the trip (usually the luxury lines). Not sure why Bermuda is listed because even someone visiting by air only needs a passport that is valid for the duration of their trip. AFAIK Cuba and Martinique are the only islands in the Caribbean that have such a requirement and most cruise lines will not call on those islands on a closed loop cruise.

Screenshot_20240325_081814_Chrome.thumb.jpg.11817d8cf1a4bf78b06fc84d2ae19b2d.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, starstruck05 said:

Screenshot_20240325_081814_Chrome.thumb.jpg.11817d8cf1a4bf78b06fc84d2ae19b2d.jpg

Thanks, I knew that, most people define "rule" differently and overlook the "general" part. It isn't the end of the world if someone renews their passport when they don't have to, but they should know that they don't have to when they choose to do it.

The rule is not a cruise line or US rule, it is the rule of the country visited.

Many countries, that do not require a visa, have the 6 month rule, along with a 90 day maximum stay.  So that way, they make sure you can leave and go home.  They don't want your passport to expire while you are in their country.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

Denied boarding or denied from going ashore in those countries?

It would be denied boarding.  Boarding can also be denied for passengers who lack a required Visa to visit a particular country on the ship's itinerary.  For example, some foreign passengers (example: from South Africa, China, Vietnam), who are not US Permanent Residents (Green Card holders), would be denied boarding in Seattle for a cruise to Alaska if they did not have a Canadian Visa.  (US citizens, of course don't need a Canadian visa).

So, it is very important that you check to see what types of documents you need to travel.

US citizens should look at https://travel.state.gov/content/travel.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met. This is generally not applied to cruise guests that are visiting for a day.

Except for the exceptions already pointed out, the passport for cruising is more for ease of re-entry to the US upon debarkation or in case of emergency and you miss the ship and have to return to the US by air.

Edited by Guest

I went on a closed loop cruise in 2014 (celebrity) that stopped in Cartagena, Colombia and I only had BC and Driver's license. I did not have a passport at that time. Not sure if rules have changed. This was my experience. 

Summer of 2023, dh and I took a west coast closed loop cruise. Our passports expired less than 6 months after our return. Since we were not stopping in a country requiring those 6 months we were ok. They did point out to us that our passports had less than 6 months, but we were fine. 

On a side note, when we renewed we just got a passport card. Much cheaper and also works for most closed loop cruises. (Can’t stop in Martinique I believe. Cuba too, but we definitely will not be going to Cuba.) I know, I know…should something horrific happen and we have to fly back we can’t. I guess we’ll either have to wait and cross the bridge when we come to it, or become Mexican citizens. 😜

• Like 2

5 hours ago, teachtocruis said:

Summer of 2023, dh and I took a west coast closed loop cruise. Our passports expired less than 6 months after our return. Since we were not stopping in a country requiring those 6 months we were ok. They did point out to us that our passports had less than 6 months, but we were fine. 

On a side note, when we renewed we just got a passport card. Much cheaper and also works for most closed loop cruises. (Can’t stop in Martinique I believe. Cuba too, but we definitely will not be going to Cuba.) I know, I know…should something horrific happen and we have to fly back we can’t. I guess we’ll either have to wait and cross the bridge when we come to it, or become Mexican citizens. 😜

Actually, you can fly back without a passport. There will be a delay while things get sorted out, of course, but there are provisions in the regulations that allow the waiver of the passport requirement for emergencies or humanitarian reasons. Fortunately for most cruisers the risk of having to leave in the middle of a cruise is low enough to be tolerable.

On 3/25/2024 at 2:13 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

For example, some foreign passengers (example: from South Africa, China, Vietnam), who are not US Permanent Residents (Green Card holders), would be denied boarding in Seattle for a cruise to Alaska if they did not have a Canadian Visa.

Just an FYI, passport holders from Mexico are now included on the list of countries  who need a Canadian Visa to sail to Alaska (US Permanent Residents /Green Card Holders are exempt).

Visa Requirements For Mexican Citizens Entering Canada By Sea

Effective February 29, 2024, all Mexican citizens entering Canada by sea, excluding those with a U.S. permanent resident card, are required to present a visitor visa at embarkation in order to board the vessel.

The visitor visa can take several weeks to obtain. As such, guests are strongly encouraged to begin the application process as soon as possible. For additional information regarding the visitor visa, guests can visit:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/about-visitor-visa.html

Please note, guests are not permitted to remain on board the ship while in Canadian ports without the Canadian visa. Failure to present the appropriate Canadian visa at embarkation, will result in denial of boarding.

• Like 1

Hey @sparks1093, we just got our NEXUS cards.  We had our interview up in BLaine WA (just at the border), and as promised, we received our cards in a couple of weeks.

Since we are usually discussing EDL's, passports, etc, I thought you would appreciate hearing about NEXUS.  ;  )

• Like 3

On 3/27/2024 at 5:42 PM, whataboutport said:

I went on a closed loop cruise in 2014 (celebrity) that stopped in Cartagena, Colombia and I only had BC and Driver's license. I did not have a passport at that time. Not sure if rules have changed. This was my experience. 

Your experience was ten years ago and no longer reflects Celebrity's requirement for stops in Cartagena.

A passport is required.