Pickeball on Celebrity Summit

Good day!

I'm a pickleball player and am wondering if anyone has played on the Summit.  Do you have to bring your own paddle?  Is it hard to get a game going?

Many thanks for any tips.

Marge

I played pickleball on Equinox and Constellation.  Celebrity does have paddles and pickle-balls.  Never difficult to find other players.  Courts are open all day long and they have open play and "tournaments".  Pickle-on!🤣

1 hour ago, peanut head said:

I played pickleball on Equinox and Constellation.  Celebrity does have paddles and pickle-balls.  Never difficult to find other players.  Courts are open all day long and they have open play and "tournaments".  Pickle-on!🤣

Good news.  Thanks so much for your reply.  I play almost everyday and love the game.  Looking forward to playing onboard, especially since we have 8 sea days on our upcoming cruise.  

59 minutes ago, granddutchess said:

When we were on the Summit last June to Bermuda there were no pickleball courts.  I do not believe this has changed.  

Looking at the deck plan(s) on their page it doesn't show pickleball courts.  Only a basketball court on Deck 12.  https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-ships/celebrity-summit/deck-plan

The nine Celebrity Cruises’ ships now offering pickleball include two Edge Series ships—Celebrity Beyond and Celebrity Apex; plus Celebrity Constellation, Celebrity Eclipse, Celebrity Equinox, Celebrity Infinity, Celebrity Millennium, Celebrity Solstice, and Celebrity Summit.

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

Playing pickleball on a windy moving ship possibly after a few drinks can become a quick reason to find the infirmary.

Totally agree.   I don’t play that game and don’t ever want to.   I was reading about all of the injuries to the senior citizens.   

I know injuries can happen to anyone but why push it.   My neighbor has a full football scholarship at a Big 10 university .   He was doing a drill running backwards  and tore his Achilles during the season.    He had to under go surgery and is still in rehab.   This is a trained athlete.   I wouldn’t want this to happen on a cruise.    Can’t imagine the expense and  everything else related to it just to show  how great I am at the game.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Played pickeball on the Summit in May 2023.  It is on the sports court.  They have certain times for pickleball each day as they use the court for other sports as well.  They provide paddles if you don't want to bring your own.  At times we had up to maybe 12 people, so you waited your turn.  One day the activities staff even coordinated a pickleball tournament. It can be windy but the sports court has the net all around it. I enjoyed playing against people I never met before.

2 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

They had it on the Summit in July. On the sports court. Annoying as heck to hear the ping ping ping as I walked by every time. Such a noisy "sport".

We refer to it as PLINK PLINK PLINK..It took over the lawn area on ASCENT for several hrs.. annoying but was popular. E  ships were not designed with sports courts..big mistake...cruisers are more active these days.. Summit has a space but sound will def tracel!

.At our place in Fl they made new cts further away from main areas..Noise was too annoying for residents and sitting at the pools ..Tennis sound is not as jarring to most.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

Tennis sound is not as jarring to most.

Agree!! I love watching tennis, but the sound and rhythm (minus the grunts) would work well on a noise app for putting me to sleep.

Pickleball not so much. I made the mistake of walking through the sportsplex on Anthem while the entire floor was divided into courts and the noise was absurd. I didn't see how people could spectate it without going nuts!

• Like 1

Some love PB. some are obsessed.. huge sport these days.

Others  find it tolerable unless intrusive with noise. plink plink 

at our Fl Community,  the pickle ballers wanted lines painted on the tennis courts so they could use them too..wow  WW3 broke out!  tennis players won!  We stay neutral...

I bike and walk alot with my husband,  (not in a group) and love the pool.. esp water aerobics. 

On ASCENT , I  met some gals who taught water aerobics in Fl.. enjoyed working out and walking  with them in the Solarium  pool..We were not noisemakers!

On 3/30/2024 at 8:53 AM, ecslady said:

Played pickeball on the Summit in May 2023.  It is on the sports court.  They have certain times for pickleball each day as they use the court for other sports as well.  They provide paddles if you don't want to bring your own.  At times we had up to maybe 12 people, so you waited your turn.  One day the activities staff even coordinated a pickleball tournament. It can be windy but the sports court has the net all around it. I enjoyed playing against people I never met before.

So it's just one court playing? I'm going next week and am debating bringing my paddle and shoes.

On 3/29/2024 at 7:59 PM, ohiolovescrusing said:

The nine Celebrity Cruises’ ships now offering pickleball include two Edge Series ships—Celebrity Beyond and Celebrity Apex; plus Celebrity Constellation, Celebrity Eclipse, Celebrity Equinox, Celebrity Infinity, Celebrity Millennium, Celebrity Solstice, and Celebrity Summit.

The Ascent also has one. 

On 3/30/2024 at 10:47 AM, hcat said:

We refer to it as PLINK PLINK PLINK..It took over the lawn area on ASCENT for several hrs.. annoying

On 3/30/2024 at 8:25 AM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Annoying as heck to hear the ping ping ping as I walked by every time. Such a noisy "sport".

Well thanks, you two!  I never noticed the noise before but as one who tends to fixate on annoying noises, I’m sure I will from now on!  😊😎

I was on the Summit last May. The sports court is used for pickleball at certain times.

They did have a few racquets and balls. Since the ship is moving, it was impossible to have any type of volley.

The ball occasionally slipped through the fence and rolled down the steps.

On 4/4/2024 at 11:09 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

Well thanks, you two!  I never noticed the noise before but as one who tends to fixate on annoying noises, I’m sure I will from now on!  😊😎

sorry but it is ANNOYING!

• Like 1