interior cabin for 30 day cruise??

After reading all these comments thinking we may have to try an inside cabin sometime.  We book minis every cruise except for May sailings to Alaska we book oceanview as it's pretty cold in May.  We were always concerned it would feel claustrophobic without a window.  

1 hour ago, Cruisintimer said:

After reading all these comments thinking we may have to try an inside cabin sometime.  We book minis every cruise except for May sailings to Alaska we book oceanview as it's pretty cold in May.  We were always concerned it would feel claustrophobic without a window.  

I think it’s worth a try. We booked one for the first time on a cruise where that was the only option left if we wanted to go to Greenland. It was fine even though it’s an itinerary where the scenery was important to me. The icebergs waited for me until I got outside 😉

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Torfamm said:

I think it’s worth a try. We booked one for the first time on a cruise where that was the only option left if we wanted to go to Greenland. It was fine even though it’s an itinerary where the scenery was important to me. The icebergs waited for me until I got outside 😉

We used to do insides.  Loved the last minute $100 each for a 7 night cruise.  But, as I have grown older, I have become claustrophobic.  In a plane I have to sit next to the window.  Don't even suggest I pull down the shade.  There is nothing wrong with an inside cabin if you are not claustrophobic.  Crusing now means we need a window.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I booked this cruise with an inside cabin as a solo traveler. I'm almost embarrassed to say what I paid for the trip, every time I clicked a button on the Princess site the cost became less. I'll settle for inside and maybe but in an upgrade bid.

• Like 2

Shhh, Don't tell the cruise lines but the uplift on cabins is for suckers. If you take the cost differential and put it towards experiences you'll come out way ahead.

In the olden cruising days, balconies were very limited. most cabins on a ship were inside.  I love sailing inside.  It is so restful and no worries about somebody smoking on their balcony, talking loudly or playing music.  When I want the sit quietly outside the ship offers so many options not the 10x5' cell called a balcony.

You will NEVER sleep so well as in an inside cabin.  

Let the dog piling begin from the Sweet Suite crowd, but this sailor can afford any cabin on the ship and still chooses an interior cabin.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Inside cabins are nice and dark, good sleeping.  Any cabin on a cruise ship is awesome compared to sleeping arrangements on a Navy aircraft carrier.  Did 2 6-month med cruises with no window or balcony....how did I survive?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/2/2024 at 3:29 PM, PhotoPete said:

Inside cabins are nice and dark, good sleeping.  Any cabin on a cruise ship is awesome compared to sleeping arrangements on a Navy aircraft carrier.  Did 2 6-month med cruises with no window or balcony....how did I survive?

I hear ya, spent two Westpacs aboard LHA'S.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 6:29 PM, PhotoPete said:

I have to say I was surprised at how much light comes into inside cabins through the door. I’d always pictured them as cavelike. Not that it bothered me, I just expected it to be pitch black.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 7:07 AM, CrazyTrain2 said:

Shhh, Don't tell the cruise lines but the uplift on cabins is for suckers. If you take the cost differential and put it towards experiences you'll come out way ahead.

In the olden cruising days, balconies were very limited. most cabins on a ship were inside.  I love sailing inside.  It is so restful and no worries about somebody smoking on their balcony, talking loudly or playing music.  When I want the sit quietly outside the ship offers so many options not the 10x5' cell called a balcony.

You will NEVER sleep so well as in an inside cabin.  

Let the dog piling begin from the Sweet Suite crowd, but this sailor can afford any cabin on the ship and still chooses an interior cabin.

Shhhh, keep it a secret

On 3/31/2024 at 12:35 PM, PescadoAmarillo said:

The sideways interior cabins are roomier, no question about it. I just don’t think they’re the best choice for couples who come and go at different times. When the door to the corridor is opened, anyone walking by sees everything inside, which, if you’re both dressed is fine.  If you’re not, it’s a bit…interesting.

Agree about the bed being so close to the door that everyone can see inside. 

And, from what I remember, one person can't have the desk drawer open if the other is coming in the cabin as they bang into each other.  I don't think the sideways interior cabins are roomier because you lose that "entry" part of coming into the cabin.  You open the door, and bang, you are in the bed!  We hated that cabin.

Posted (edited)
On 3/25/2024 at 3:10 PM, kbconthemove said:

I'm seriously considering that last minute 30 day Tahiti/Hawaii/SP crossing cruise on Majestic Princess, but the thought of 30 days in inside cabin scares me. I've only been on one cruise with X and had balcony, so a bit spoiled.  I'm traveling solo and basically a hermit who doesn't drink or really socialize, but would like to see some of the ports and the price seems really good.

Any thoughts on this cruise situation would be appreciated.

I would stay home before sailing in an inside cabin. Others may not agree of course but you asked for opinions. There's a reason inside cabins are the cheapest ones on the ship. 

Edited by cruzsnooze

On 3/29/2024 at 8:51 PM, RenieRaider said:

Arizona Wildcat, What does that mean, When Near Land? I have never done a TA, or long stretch to land. Is it not nice when way out a sea in a crossing or over to Hawaii? Thanks.

Of course you can always go outside, but cruises to Hawaii, and I have heard to Tahiti, etc. can be quite cool.  Ours to Hawaii was cool and windy enough, with some rain, that sitting outside often wasn't enjoyable.  Of course sitting on a balcony would be the same. Once in Hawaii it was fine.  I had thought cruising the Pacific would be warmer.

4 hours ago, metairiegal said:

Agree about the bed being so close to the door that everyone can see inside. 

And, from what I remember, one person can't have the desk drawer open if the other is coming in the cabin as they bang into each other.  I don't think the sideways interior cabins are roomier because you lose that "entry" part of coming into the cabin.  You open the door, and bang, you are in the bed!  We hated that cabin.

We were careful opening the door if someone was in the hallway behind us. We loved the sideways cabin and spent two weeks and one on the discovery inaugural cruise. Definitely feels roomier.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

....There's a reason inside cabins are the cheapest ones on the ship. 

Indeed and, for us at least, that reason is we can cruise twice as often! 😉

Each to their own.

• Like 1