interior cabin for 30 day cruise??

I'm seriously considering that last minute 30 day Tahiti/Hawaii/SP crossing cruise on Majestic Princess, but the thought of 30 days in inside cabin scares me. I've only been on one cruise with X and had balcony, so a bit spoiled.  I'm traveling solo and basically a hermit who doesn't drink or really socialize, but would like to see some of the ports and the price seems really good.

Any thoughts on this cruise situation would be appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, kbconthemove said:

I'm seriously considering that last minute 30 day Tahiti/Hawaii/SP crossing cruise on Majestic Princess, but the thought of 30 days in inside cabin scares me. I've only been on one cruise with X and had balcony, so a bit spoiled.  I'm traveling solo and basically a hermit who doesn't drink or really socialize, but would like to see some of the ports and the price seems really good.

For one person I would feel ok for the size of the cabin but personally I feel a need to look out a window. Are the ocean view cabins for a little more ?

• Like 4

The question would be are you a person who likes to spend lots of time in their cabin reading or just watching the ocean go by.  In that case probably not a good choice.

When near land you can certainly can go out on deck.

One thought would be to have a cabin with a short easy access to an outside deck.  Would make an inside better IMO.

Have had an inside in Alaska.  Like it as could get the cabin dark and it was always quiet.

• Like 2

no real problem...just spend more time sitting out by the pool or one of the lounges etc..i do it a lot as i like to read and watch the ocean.....like u i would not pay huge $$ more for a balcony...rather spend a bit more on other things.

• Like 3

While I understand that everyone is different, my wife and I have done two in excess of 30 days - 35 days round trip from Sydney to Hawaii and 31 days South America both in inside cabins. We have done most of our cruising in inside cabins as we find it difficult to justify the extra cost for a balcony cabin, particularly as there is usually so much room around the rest of the ship to be. With an inside cabin all you need it for is to sleep and dress - little else. Since covid however, because we are pretty conservative, we have returned to taking balcony cabins for the time being. However 'to each his own'.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kbconthemove said:

......the thought of 30 days in inside cabin scares me.....

But, you wouldn't be trapped in the cabin....explore the ship, find a favourite spot to watch the ocean etc. Personally, wouldn't hesitate! 😉

• Like 5

There's really no scenic cruising on this cruise.  It's all ocean once you leave New Zealand and this cruise skips Fjordland National Park.  Balconies are great, but I think you can skip it on this cruise.

Not sure if your state is included, but there's a Drop and Go promo for residents of certain states for this cruise where they can get a $500 EZAir credit on top of the Drop and Go rate for departures out of SYD.  It looks like there are some obstructed balconies left for ~$1000 more.  If your state is included in the promo, it's like you're only paying ~$500 for the obstructed balcony.  But you have to book your air through EZAir and not sure how expensive the fares are this late in the game.

We sailed 28 days on Sky Princess in a sideways (parallel to the hallway) interior cabin around the Med & ending in Ft Lauderdale. That worked for us and provided us with more money to spend on shore excursions & other onboard spending.

There is no right or wrong answer…just decisions based on each passenger’s preferences.

• Like 5

In 2014, my husband and I spent 34 days in an inside cabin on a B2B2B that visited 20 ports:

Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Naples, Italy

Athens, Greece

Mykonos, Greece

Crete, Greece

Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey

Santorini, Greece

Messina, Sicily (Italy)

Valletta, Malta

Cagliari, Sardinia

Ajaccio, Corsica (France)

Villefranche, France

Palma, Mallorca

Barcelona, Spain

Valencia, Spain

Malaga, Spain

Gibraltar

Cadiz, Spain

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

An inside cabin was the only affordable option for us and I loved every minute of that trip, even the times spent in our cabin.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WisCruiser2 said:

@PescadoAmarillo maybe you can give her the benefit of your experience in inside cabins?

I would definitely book the inside and take the cruise. We’ve done up to 150 consecutive days in an inside cabin and I love them. The forced socialization of a cruise ship cause me to need to decompress often, and there is no better place to do that than in an inside cabin. We’ve booked plenty of balcony cabins, too, for our shorter cruises, and they truly feel like apartment living to me, where I hear everything the neighbors do and say.

One difference is that, when we’ve booked extended cruises, we’ve always booked a cabin in the location of our choice, but if it meant the difference between taking the cruise or not (especially the cruise you’re considering), I would take an inside cabin anywhere. In all of our cruising we’ve only had three inside cabins in truly awful locations, (two of them on Princess ships, one on HAL) so I figure our odds of being assigned something tolerable are pretty high. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I have done a 14 day Mediterranean and 7 day Alaska cruise in interior rooms. Normally I would book balcony or higher but these were expensive trips, so I booked an interior. Both times I got them on the Lido deck, so if I wanted the view, I just walked out of the cabin. 

• Like 5

We prefer balcony cabins, but have cruised four times with interior cabins primarily for financial reasons (Alaska, Baltic, Canada and Caribbean). We loved each of these cruises.  While they were not 30 days long, we never tired of our cabin or felt deprived.  One advantage--you may sleep later as there is no light coming in.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think it's a no-brainer....~$1500 for 30 days? That's cheaper than most rent in my area! :classic_laugh: Plus maybe $600 or so for a one way flight down to Australia...not bad at all. Honestly! I'd say it's worth it. If you really miss seeing the ocean, the ship is big and there are plenty of spots to sit and relax, read, etc.

Do it! And we can all live vicariously through you :classic_biggrin:

EDIT: I didn't take into account whatever the single supplement might be...so that price actually isn't accurate. Unless you find a friend to go with you!

Edited by mofurd
Context
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, kbconthemove said:

I have done 2-20 day cruises in Interior cabins--2 last May on MSC to UK/Norway & last month on Carnival to New Caldonia/NZ.

We are of the POV that a cabin is for sleeping & showering--otherwise we are out & about the ship or on port. 

Now, I DO find when I am traveling solo I sometimes crave a quiet corner to read or pop in earbuds & watch a movie. On some ships that can be challenging. Sometimes my room was my only sanctuary--admittedly, I PREFER a room w/ a window or balcony, BUT I love a good value, so if I can see these places & save a ton, that makes me happy.

I forgot how GREAT one sleeps in an interior cabin--pitch black w/ nothing to wake me? Oh, MY!

One nice advantage to Princess--GREAT selection of movies & TV shows if you do want to hunker down. 

Plus on Princess, a quiet corner seems to be easier to find than some other lines.

• Like 2

I've done several 28-30 day cruises in inside cabins.  I really like them: they are quite, stay cool, and stay dark for sleeping.  I always sleep really well in inside cabins.  

If you want to see the scenery, I would much rather use the open public decks where I can move around for different views.

• Like 4

I believe that least expensive room they can get for this 30 day cruise for a solo is $1624+ taxes, etc. ( I believe at this point it’s guarantee rooms only )If I had 30 days to be away ,it would be enticing to me as well. I’ve never cruised solo. Don’t know if I would ,I’m very social. But I would think the Flights to and from would cost more than the cruise itself ,but I say go for it to the OP . Can always go up or down a deck to get outside. Lots of people like the interior cabins -they can sleep longer because it’s dark and of course they like the interior room because then they can do other things with their money. Hope the OP lets us know if they booked or not. Definitely sounds like a great price. 

• Like 1