HAPPY EASTER !!

39 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Lol, spring chickens hey, very easter appropriate.

As someone once said, we may be young but we make up for that with unbridled confidence and good looks.
:classic_laugh:

Ah, but the radiance of wisdom maturity brings.  If only we had that light in our youth.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Lol, spring chickens hey, very easter appropriate.

As someone once said, we may be young but we make up for that with unbridled confidence and good looks.
:classic_laugh:

"Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance." 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A late happy easter to you all! We had a family lunch at my brother's place, more to celebrate my dad's 94th birthday than for easter but it was nice to all get together. Dad's birthday is today but I am working so yesterday was the better option. As is the way these days, I had a call this morning to say my sil has tested positive to Covid, hopefully she hasn't shared it with mum or dad.

• Like 1

Just now, LincolnLegend said:

A late happy easter to you all! We had a family lunch at my brother's place, more to celebrate my dad's 94th birthday than for easter but it was nice to all get together. Dad's birthday is today but I am working so yesterday was the better option. As is the way these days, I had a call this morning to say my sil has tested positive to Covid, hopefully she hasn't shared it with mum or dad.

Yes, the dreaded spicy cough is still around. I was supposed to see my daughter for her birthday today. Son in law has come down with Covid, so the celebrations are on hold.☹️

1 hour ago, LincolnLegend said:

1 hour ago, ceeceeDee said:

Yes, the dreaded spicy cough is still around. I was supposed to see my daughter for her birthday today. Son in law has come down with Covid, so the celebrations are on hold.☹️

Wishing a speedy recovery to them both.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Congratulations, Leigh and Rob. A golden moment in your lives 🥂

Happy Easter, Les, and to all on here.  Wishing love and peace in your lives🕊️🌿

We just arrived home after a delicious and relaxing family lunch at Agostinis, an Italian restaurant in East Hotel here in Canberra.  The photos we took and shared prove I’m now officially the shortest family member😔

Thank you Linda. We had Italian last night, well my version of spaghetti carbonara and no, I didn't use cream, only eggs, bacon, pepper, spaghetti, parmesan and a little garlic. Very nice I must say. 

Our eleven year old granddaughter has now caught me and the six year old won't be long! Grandsons now tower over me. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Thank you Linda. We had Italian last night, well my version of spaghetti carbonara and no, I didn't use cream, only eggs, bacon, pepper, spaghetti, parmesan and a little garlic. Very nice I must say. 

Our eleven year old granddaughter has now caught me and the six year old won't be long! Grandsons now tower over me. 

Truly a classic carbonara, Leigh.  I’m sure it was more than nice😋

we have four girls, and I am dwarfed by each one of them.  It must have been only my beauty they inherited😉

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Truly a classic carbonara, Leigh.  I’m sure it was more than nice😋

we have four girls, and I am dwarfed by each one of them.  It must have been only my beauty they inherited😉

Thanks Linda, it is a recipe my sister gave me and is so simple to make. I am sure it is your beauty and personality the girls inherited. 

12 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Thanks Linda, it is a recipe my sister gave me and is so simple to make. I am sure it is your beauty and personality the girls inherited. 

Gosh, I hope not Leigh😂

They are all stunning though, and it can’t be just my subjective opinion, because they receive so many compliments.  Of utmost importance to us is their kindness and generosity to others.  They are always caring for friends in need.  I hope they never change.  I know instinctively your grandchildren would be the same.  We are so fortunate.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Kangaroo for dinner tonight, it will go well with the salad.

I’m embarrassed to admit I’ve never tried it.  I think that’s because I was raised on the land, and it’s the one meat we didn’t eat.  Lamb, chicken, rabbit, all yes, but never kangaroo.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

I’m embarrassed to admit I’ve never tried it.  I think that’s because I was raised on the land, and it’s the one meat we didn’t eat.  Lamb, chicken, rabbit, all yes, but never kangaroo.

It'd put a spring in your step 😄

• Haha 5

On 3/31/2024 at 9:15 AM, possum52 said:

Happy Easter to you Les and all on this board, Hope you all have had a visit from the Easter Bunny, and able to enjoy the day with family and friends.

We had an early celebration last night with our family for our 50th Wedding Anniversary. So a quiet day today for us.

Happy Anniversary, Leigh. 

• Like 2

Happy Easter everyone. 

I decided to try something different this Easter - hot criss bun bread and butter pudding (RecipeTin Eats). Unfortunately I used Coles hot cross buns which were a bit too light and fluffy so turned to mush. It still tasted good though. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

There are so many variations of carbonara but I have never ever used cream. A while ago I started trying to make it as traditional as I could since we're now able to get guanciale (cured pork cheek) at Harris Farm Markets. OMG,it's so good! Then I started using pecorino instead of parmesan - it has a slightly different taste so it took a bit of getting used to. Then I tried not using garlic and decided I liked it that way best. I prefer to use one whole egg with an extra egg yolk as using only egg yolks makes it too rich for my taste, but too whole eggs isn't rich enough. Who'd have thought a simple dish like that could become so complicated! 🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

It's really nice - similar to venison. It's a very lean meat so it has to be cooked very rare or it goes tough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There are so many variations of carbonara but I have never ever used cream. A while ago I started trying to make it as traditional as I could since we're now able to get guanciale (cured pork cheek) at Harris Farm Markets. OMG,it's so good! Then I started using pecorino instead of parmesan - it has a slightly different taste so it took a bit of getting used to. Then I tried not using garlic and decided I liked it that way best. I prefer to use one whole egg with an extra egg yolk as using only egg yolks makes it too rich for my taste, but too whole eggs isn't rich enough. Who'd have thought a simple dish like that could become so complicated! 🤣

That's so true, but simplicity is the hardest thing to perfect.  Guanciale and pecorino are the genuine ingredients, but I find pecorino (sheep's cheese) just a little too strong.  Even though parmigana is sharper, I prefer its pure taste.  Italians very rarely use cream in savoury dishes, and it's a sin to use it in carbonara.  You have to be quick from pot to plate with carbonara.  My son actually makes the best carbonara in our family, and he doesn't even speak Italian, although he understands most of light conversation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It's really nice - similar to venison. It's a very lean meat so it has to be cooked very rare or it goes tough.

Yes I've read it dries out very quickly, and must be cooked very rare.  I'll pluck up the courage to try kangaroo one day.  I've tried venison, but I find it very gamey.  Strangely enough, I absolutely love game birds, such as pheasant, quail, squab, guinea fowl, etc.  Very difficult and expensive to source in Australia, except for quail.  I can't wait to be in the UK in a few weeks, where game birds are really plentiful.  I prefer meat, with the exception of chicken, cooked rare, and I just love sushi, ceviche, salmon and tuna tartare.

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We don’t have a deli close by that stocks guanciale so thick cut bacon is my go to. I use a whole egg and a yolk as well. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yep, medium rare at most. Definitely not gamey, more like beef than anything else, no need to swamp it in sauces either.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mareblu said:

That's so true, but simplicity is the hardest thing to perfect.  Guanciale and pecorino are the genuine ingredients, but I find pecorino (sheep's cheese) just a little too strong.  Even though parmigana is sharper, I prefer its pure taste.  Italians very rarely use cream in savoury dishes, and it's a sin to use it in carbonara.  You have to be quick from pot to plate with carbonara.  My son actually makes the best carbonara in our family, and he doesn't even speak Italian, although he understands most of light conversation.

We've got used to the pecorino taste but sprinkle extra Grand Padano on top which mellows out the pecorino, and I would go back to using that in a pinch. But I don't think I could go back to not using guanciale! I don't speak Italian either. 🤣

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Yes I've read it dries out very quickly, and must be cooked very rare.  I'll pluck up the courage to try kangaroo one day.  I've tried venison, but I find it very gamey.  Strangely enough, I absolutely love game birds, such as pheasant, quail, squab, guinea fowl, etc.  Very difficult and expensive to source in Australia, except for quail.  I can't wait to be in the UK in a few weeks, where game birds are really plentiful.  I prefer meat, with the exception of chicken, cooked rare, and I just love sushi, ceviche, salmon and tuna tartare.

My GD gave the kaarage quail recipe from the cooking school restaurant menu and I really want to try it but I haven't seen any quail in local shops for ages. I'll have to see if my butcher can get some in for me.

I miss pheasant! When I lived in NZ and worked part time in Rotorua there was a pheasant farm nearby so a couple of the local restaurants used to have it on their menus regularly. Princess used to have pheasant on one of their formal night menus for the first few years we were cruising but it diasappeared off the menu around 2018 or 2019. 

I had grouse at a restaurant in London once. It came with all the trimmings, which were excessive!

We're the same as you re rare meats, sashimi etc. I made a scallop ceviche last week. It's very yummy served on witlof.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

We don’t have a deli close by that stocks guanciale so thick cut bacon is my go to. I use a whole egg and a yolk as well. 

Try pancetta. Buy in the piece if you can but not the spicy one. You might be able to get guanciale at one of the markets, like Prahran. Guanciale is cured with lots of black peppercorns which enhances the pepper flavour in the carbonara.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

My GD gave the kaarage quail recipe from the cooking school restaurant menu and I really want to try it but I haven't seen any quail in local shops for ages. I'll have to see if my butcher can get some in for me.

I miss pheasant! When I lived in NZ and worked part time in Rotorua there was a pheasant farm nearby so a couple of the local restaurants used to have it on their menus regularly. Princess used to have pheasant on one of their formal night menus for the first few years we were cruising but it diasappeared off the menu around 2018 or 2019. 

I had grouse at a restaurant in London once. It came with all the trimmings, which were excessive!

We're the same as you re rare meats, sashimi etc. I made a scallop ceviche last week. It's very yummy served on witlof.

Julie, I’m drooling.  Thanks for the mental imagery.  Cunard serves pheasant in QG, or it did last year  I made kingfish ceviche two weeks ago, served with fennel and shredded red radicchio.  Great minds😂. BTW, I’ve packed my Camillas for the Cunard cruise in May. I might even shake them out for the Oceania cruise we board next week.  

Edited by Mareblu
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Try pancetta. Buy in the piece if you can but not the spicy one. You might be able to get guanciale at one of the markets, like Prahran. Guanciale is cured with lots of black peppercorns which enhances the pepper flavour in the carbonara.

Speck is also terrific for carbonara.  Available in delis snd some supermarkets.  Buy in a small block, slice then dice, or better still, cut in matchstick fine pieces.  Delicious also in boef bourguignon and coq au vin.

• Like 1