I’m Breaking All The Rules!

50 minutes ago, ledges1 said:

My daughter did this once on a direct flight to Miami and was fine. Flight left at 5:30 AM landed in Miami at 9:00. She got an Uber, picked me and my wife up at the hotel before 10:00 AM and we were on the ship by 11:30.

Luckily, it sounds like she didn't have any issues between her flights, but given a choice she would have been better off with a non-stop over a direct flight. 

6 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

I often will fly in the morning of the cruise.  I have even flown to Rome (including changing planes in London), landing the morning of the cruise to make connections for the two hour transfer to Civitavecchia for a 32-day B2B2B cruise.  Although, I did get the airfare and insurance from Carnival that time.

You were VERY lucky with that dice roll. We were supposed to land in Rome this past summer around 4 pm on Saturday, with only one connection out of Chicago.  Thanks to a bad tire on the plane in originating city we missed connection, were rebooked and now connecting thru Chicago and Heathrow.  That Chicago flight was delayed by HOURS, actually rebooked a second time automatically by airline to make Heathrow ... and nope, it was late too.  Missed Heathrow connection ... and FINALLY saw Rome at noon on Sunday.   

2 hours ago, ledges1 said:

Unless I missed it, about what time does your flight land vs embarkation cutoff. My daughter did this once on a direct flight to Miami and was fine. Flight left at 5:30 AM landed in Miami at 9:00. She got an Uber, picked me and my wife up at the hotel before 10:00 AM and we were on the ship by 11:30. Of course, she went to bed that night about 7:30.

I have a direct flight landing at FLL at 9:30am. Weather shouldn’t be an issue in June (fingers crossed).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

Where are you flying from and where is your layover?

No layover. Flying direct from Cincinnati to FLL, landing at 9:30am. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CruzerDeb said:

No layover. Flying direct from Cincinnati to FLL, landing at 9:30am. 

I think you are confusing a non-stop flight (with NO stops) and direct flight (same plane, same flight number, but it makes a stop(s) along the route).  Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with taking that flight(although I'm sure many people on here would disagree with me about that).  I would be much more concerned about a direct flight because even though you stay on board, there is always an additional chance of a delay each time the plane stops. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

I think you are confusing a non-stop flight (with NO stops) and direct flight (same plane, same flight number, but it makes a stop(s) along the route).  Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with taking that flight(although I'm sure many people on here would disagree with me about that).  I would be much more concerned about a direct flight because even though you stay on board, there is always an additional chance of a delay each time the plane stops. 

You’re right - I meant nonstop. 

7 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Just let us know you got there on time so we can all breathe easy!!😂

You betcha! Only 65 days to go! 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Noledad77 said:

I see your Aerosmith "Livin' on the Edge" and raise you Molly Hatchet's "Flirtin' with Disaster".

Lou Reed - Walk On The Wild Side (1973)

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I have driven over 6 hours with a time zone change in the car the same day to go on a cruise. I do not think what you are doing is that unusual. As long as you do not over sleep and miss the plane. You probably will not sleep well the night before the flight. Since people are mentioning song, Jimmy Buffett said “She came from Cincinnati and it took her three days on a train. It could be worse.

Edited by ledges1
Word change
  • Haha 1

In Theory you should be ok.

I would also look at the airline that you are flying. If you are on Delta there are multiple other flight options that may get you there, if you are flying Allegiant they may not have as many options for alternative flights.

Are you checking your bags or doing carry ons?

I would definitely make sure that you have travel insurance in case there is an issue.

Enjoy your vacation.  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Noledad77 said:

I see your Aerosmith "Livin' on the Edge" and raise you Molly Hatchet's "Flirtin' with Disaster".

Mmmm Not heard any Molly Hatchet in a good while.

• Like 1

Flying in the same day kicks my butt.  On our first trip on the Breeze I fell asleep during the muster drill (old way) and my pic was on the big screen for days….

• Haha 7

All of these musical references are cracking me up!

I once did a nonstop from Philly to Miami on a solo...in January no less...and had no issues.  Grabbed the Carnival transfer bus at MIA and was onboard within an hour of landing.

Have a great time!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DramaQueen22 said:

All of these musical references are cracking me up!

I once did a nonstop from Philly to Miami on a solo...in January no less...and had no issues.  Grabbed the Carnival transfer bus at MIA and was onboard within an hour of landing.

Have a great time!

Thanks! I’ve only flown in on the day of the cruise once before - my first cruise in 2009. I’ll be taking the Carnival transfer for the first time since then as well. I’m confident it’ll all work out. Mostly. 😜🛳️

• Like 1

In 2018, we did an AA direct from IAH connecting in Charlotte to San Juan the day of sailing. Left early, landed in SJ around 4ish. Took a taxi to port for a 10PM sailing on the Fascination. It was the best 6 port itinerary we've ever taken on Carnival.

No problem at all and sailing out of SJ at night is awesome.

• Like 1

Carnival picking your room is the least of your worries. We are at the mercy of the airlines. 2 years ago American cancelled our flight 12 hours before we were scheduled to leave. Even though we we were planning to arrive the day before the cruise left, it was a nerve wracking amount of chaos to book any flight to get us at or near Tampa. We finally landed at 4:00 am the morning of the cruise. Thnaks to the airline snafu, there was a group of 70+, out of Pennsylvania I think, that missed the ship. They caught up with us in Costa Rica. Nothing would make me fly in the day of the cruise-my blood pressure couldn’t take it!😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Linsuesue said:

Carnival picking your room is the least of your worries. We are at the mercy of the airlines. 2 years ago American cancelled our flight 12 hours before we were scheduled to leave. Even though we we were planning to arrive the day before the cruise left, it was a nerve wracking amount of chaos to book any flight to get us at or near Tampa. We finally landed at 4:00 am the morning of the cruise. Thnaks to the airline snafu, there was a group of 70+, out of Pennsylvania I think, that missed the ship. They caught up with us in Costa Rica. Nothing would make me fly in the day of the cruise-my blood pressure couldn’t take it!😀

I’m sorry that happened to you! So stressful. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 9:51 PM, Old Fart Cruisers said:

I would be much more concerned about a direct flight because even though you stay on board, there is always an additional chance of a delay each time the plane stops. 

Or a plane swap in the intermediate city.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@CruzerDeb, I actually think you'll be fine with your flight. In the meantime, learn to use a flight tracking app. Understand beforehand if your aircraft will be on the ground overnight in Cincy. That dramatically increases the chance it'll be mechanically good for an on-time, non-stop departure. Changing planes and landing at noon? No way in HE double hockey sticks.

One more thing. That afternoon prior watch your weather situation. IF it looks problematic, the airlines will typically allow you to switch flights for free to avoid the storms. Drop what you're doing and get your butt to the airport. I've personally 'slept' at FLL in the wee hours when our night before flight was so delayed that we could no longer check into our budget hotel. But we were safely there and an Uber away from the port. We slept up in Serenity.

Oh, and as for flying to Rome morning of...... Insane, like certifiably. 

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Oh, and as for flying to Rome morning of...... Insane, like certifiably. 

A lot of people told us that were crazy, but we really weren't worried at all.

Our PVP assured us that we would be fine since we booked using Carnival Fly2Fun, Carnival's transfers to the ship and travel insurance all through Carnival, that even if we did miss the cruise they would put us up in a hotel and get us to Mykonos to catch up with it (day 4).  So, we actually looked at it as the possibility of an interesting adventure with the worst case scenario missing two sea days, but spending more time in Greece.   Everything ended up off without a hitch, and didn't have to worry about any of the back-up plans🙂.

I'm honestly glad it worked out for you @Old Fart Cruisers. Our absolute minimum cutoff for Europe is 36 hours meaning I'd consider the overnight from ORD (non-stop) landing at 8a on Friday for a Saturday cruise although our preference is more like 2-3 days.

If you're ever going to London, try the AA-81 daytime flight. They're the only ones that do it. Leaves ORD at like 8a and gets to Heathrow at like 10p. Man did it save wear and tear on the body having a bed both before and after the flight.