White Night

pamps2801

More Azamara inconsistencies. 

No lobster in 9 sailings in the last 2 years. Quest ×4, Journey ×2, Pursuit ×3. As recently as December and last week. 

Caveat: we have no interest in lobster on a ship but do understand that people do enjoy it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ECCruise said:

No lobster in 9 sailings in the last 2 years. Quest ×4, Journey ×2, Pursuit ×3. As recently as December and last week. 

Caveat: we have no interest in lobster on a ship but do understand that people do enjoy it. 

Every other cruise line we have been on had Surf&Turf nights

4 hours ago, ECCruise said:

We also have no interest in ordering lobster on a ship. I'm guessing that anyone who enjoys fresh Maine lobster knows that lobster that has been frozen will never taste as good. Maybe people just enjoy the idea of lobster. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tgg said:

We also have no interest in ordering lobster on a ship. I'm guessing that anyone who enjoys fresh Maine lobster knows that lobster that has been frozen will never taste as good. Maybe people just enjoy the idea of lobster. 😉

Bingo, Toni.  Not sure if it's really homarus americanus or homarus gammarus, anyway.  Tails always seem small on cruise ships.

For those of us who aren’t fortunate enough to have local supplies lobster tails always made one night on the cruise very special 

• Like 1

This reminds me of a previous thread about Dover Sole.  Many guests are disturbed by the lack of availability of this dish. I have no idea what Dover Sole is so I was completely lost on this thread. Clearly there are regional differences and lobster is one of those dishes where people either clamour for it, or don’t really consider it (I fall into the latter). 

• Like 1

A lot of times the "warm water" version of lobster may be served on ships. Personally, I hate it, but then again I am one of the fortunate ones who live in an area where Maine lobster is plentiful and sometimes relatively cheap.  I do not order in a restaurant or on any cruise.

I can see how others that do not have access to fresh Maine lobster would want to order as it is a delicacy not to be missed.  I hope you all enjoy.

• Like 2

I would happily pay extra NOT to be served lobster, crab, shrimp, or anything else which still has its clothes on. When I order rabbit I don't expect to deal with the fur so why would I want lobster with the shell? 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Catchum said:

I would happily pay extra NOT to be served lobster, crab, shrimp, or anything else which still has its clothes on. When I order rabbit I don't expect to deal with the fur so why would I want lobster with the shell? 

That's why God gave us Lobster Newburg and Lobster Rolls!  We spend two weeks in Maine very summer and eat lobster every day – and never crack a claw.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DOJO466 said:

A lot of times the "warm water" version of lobster may be served on ships. Personally, I hate it, but then again I am one of the fortunate ones who live in an area where Maine lobster is plentiful and sometimes relatively cheap.  I do not order in a restaurant or on any cruise.

I can see how others that do not have access to fresh Maine lobster would want to order as it is a delicacy not to be missed.  I hope you all enjoy.

I quite agree with you. We live in an area where cold water lobster and prawns (shrimp) are available and I don’t like the warm water versions at all. Rarely order prawns (shrimp) on Azamara as they are all the tasteless warm water variety.

38 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

That's why God gave us Lobster Newburg and Lobster Rolls!  We spend two weeks in Maine very summer and eat lobster every day – and never crack a claw.

I'll keep an eye out for those. There are so many ways to serve shrimp and crab but you rarely see anything interesting done with lobster. I generally just hand mine over to DH who is part Labrador.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Catchum said:

I'll keep an eye out for those. There are so many ways to serve shrimp and crab but you rarely see anything interesting done with lobster. I generally just hand mine over to DH who is part Labrador.

Your DH is part Labrador Retriever?  I hope you send him for coffee in the morning. 😁 Or would that be tea?

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Haha 1

On 4/7/2024 at 4:45 PM, Jem 12 said:

There was lobster tails on our recent white night on Pursuit cruise Lisbon to Barcelona, we thought the food generally was very good. 

Interesting, we have been on the Onward for 100 days on the world cruise and I have seen no lobster tails other than in a pasta dish in Aqualina.  It’s possible I missed them as we have not been to every white night.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Interesting, we have been on the Onward for 100 days on the world cruise and I have seen no lobster tails other than in a pasta dish in Aqualina.  It’s possible I missed them as we have not been to every white night.

We have been on the Onward 3 times in the last 2 years. No lobster.

7 hours ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

We have been on the Onward 3 times in the last 2 years. No lobster.

Same for me.  Not that I really care.....but cutbacks were obvious

9 hours ago, Toronto Guy said:

Same for me.  Not that I really care.....but cutbacks were obvious

It may depend where they provision the ship. Our Pursuit cruise, which did have lobster, had spent the winter season in South Africa where all seafood is relatively cheap (all food was very very cheap in Cape Town).

• Like 2

Is seafood a rare treat on Azamara.  I look forward to having Lobster, scallops, prawns, etc on a cruise.  My favourite is the crab served on Viking buffet every evening. My husband does not eat crustaceans, so could not care less if unavailable .  

13 hours ago, harbourside said:

Is seafood a rare treat on Azamara.  I look forward to having Lobster, scallops, prawns, etc on a cruise.  My favourite is the crab served on Viking buffet every evening. My husband does not eat crustaceans, so could not care less if unavailable .  

Prawns are available in different forms somewhere every night.  I have seen scallops as an appetizer but not sure I have seen it as a main item.  At least on the world voyage, every new segment has a seafood buffet at night and a brunch which both serve various seafoods.  

I talked to the F&B Manager about the lobster and he said it had gotten too expensive.