New Celebrity App Update Requires IOS 17 or Above (iPhone)?

Bask

Hello:

Is anyone with an older iPhone getting a message "Time for an Update" when running the Celebrity app? As you login, It freezes the screen and forces you to go to the app store and get the required update. Problem is...the app store states the new version of the Celebrity app requires IOS 17 or greater (which is only available for iPhones 11 and newer). I have an iPhone 8+ (IOS 16.7.7) and do realize its somewhat dated, but surprised I can no longer run the Celebrity app which I use constantly while cruising. Anyone know of a Celebrity helpdesk or tech support number?

Thanks

Oh.  That explains the issue I’ve been having, too.  I have been stuck in a loop between the app saying that I need to update and sending me to the App Store, as you describe.   Then the App Store doesn’t show an update available.   I didn’t notice the header that said  “Requires iOS 17 or later” until you mentioned it.  I hate updating my iOS because it always causes all kinds of unforeseen problems and annoying interface changes.  

I imagine a lot of people still have older iPhones like you, and aren’t going to be able to update either.  What a pain.  

• Like 2

OMG, YES!  I am in the same boat, so to speak.  I am rather attached to my iphone 8+ and also got the "time to update" message.  When it took me to the app store, I wasn't allowed to download...I didn't know it was because my device is so old.  Honestly, it's time for me to get a new phone.  I've only dragged my feet because I'm attached to my home button.  But many fellow CC'ers have talked me off the ledge.  We have a cruise to Alaska coming up in May and I told myself I'd update my phone before then.  All that to say, I am pretty sure Celebrity will still allow you on the ship without the use of the app to do things like the health and safety check...someone else can chime in on that point.

• Like 1

Calling Celebrity won’t make a difference. Your iPhone is no longer supported for updates past iOS 16 which is bad for your security and Celebrity only supports iOS 17 and beyond. A double whammy. Understandable that Apple no longer supports a 6 year old phone. Celebrity, well they could have supported iOS 16, it is not that old but they have choose not too. 

9 minutes ago, SerraG said:

I imagine a lot of people still have older iPhones like you, and aren’t going to be able to update either.  What a pain.

Six years is a long time. It really is time to get a new phone. As far as updating iOS those updates are usually security updates, not bug fixes.. It may be a pain but they need to be done. 

3 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Your iPhone is no longer supported for updates past iOS 16 which is bad for your security

Can you explain what you mean by this?  I'm not so iphone savvy....which is why I'm attached to my current phone...though it has some bugs.  I've had my 8+ since 2016...yikes.

I am in the same boat. I guess my phone is to old. iPhone 8. My question is how will we complete the safety drill? Cruise is just 15 days away and I won't be purchasing a new phone before then. 

1 minute ago, JLMcruise said:

I am in the same boat. I guess my phone is to old. iPhone 8. My question is how will we complete the safety drill? Cruise is just 15 days away and I won't be purchasing a new phone before then. 

Watch it on-line the morning before you board or watch it in your stateroom after you board and then go to your muster station 🙂

I am trying to find contact info for their tech support, but apparently they are ghosts that require an exorcism to locate. Just want to verify that this situation is their actual intent, versus an error or something else. Zero communication on the update/requirement, the old version worked fine 2 days ago. I get the new version requires IOS 17 (iPhone 11 or newer)...but surprised they killed the older version at the same time with no upfront notification

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Can you explain what you mean by this?  I'm not so iphone savvy....which is why I'm attached to my current phone...though it has some bugs.  I've had my 8+ since 2016...yikes.

The bad guys are constantly looking for ways to break in. Both on Apple and Android devices. Many of the bad guys are backed by China, Russia or Iran. With state power they have a lot of resources. They want to find a way to steal from you or steal your identity. When security researchers find a vulnerability they inform Apple and Google who then issue updates to stop the hackers. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, twins_to_alaska said:

If your phone is too old to get the newer IOS versions it's missing out on security updates/protection for known vulnerabilities.

I hate to be naive but what does this mean.... I am gong in search of a teenager to help😂

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, DaKahuna said:

Watch it on-line the morning before you board or watch it in your stateroom after you board and then go to your muster station 🙂

Thank you - didn't realize we could do it online!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

The bad guys are constantly looking for ways to break in. Both on Apple and Android devices. Many of the bad guys are backed by China, Russia or Iran. With state power they have a lot of resources. They want to find a way to steal from you or steal your identity. When security researchers find a vulnerability they inform Apple and Google who then issue updates to stop the hackers. 

Excellent explanation.  Makes perfect sense and it's certainly something I had not considered.  Thank you so much!

3 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Six years is a long time. It really is time to get a new phone. As far as updating iOS those updates are usually security updates, not bug fixes.. It may be a pain but they need to be done. 

I agree that iOS updates contain bug fixes.  In addition, they are also full of feature updates and interface changes (https://www.wired.com/story/apple-iphone-ios-17-ipados-17-new-features/).  Updating often causes a cascade of issues with apps that then need updated and sometimes no longer work with the new iOS.  

I am no Luddite.  I work in tech.  But Apple's policies are planned obsolescence to generate revenue at the expense of Earth's limited resources.  Buying a new phone when your current one works perfectly well is incredibly environmentally irresponsible. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, JLMcruise said:

Thank you - didn't realize we could do it online!!

Oh wait -- maybe you can't.  I watched it on my iPad but that had the App installed.  
I do not think you can do it on the Web. 

1 minute ago, Bask said:

I am trying to find contact info for their tech support, but apparently they are ghosts that require an exorcism to locate. Just want to verify that this situation is their actual intent, versus an error or something else. Zero communication on the update/requirement, the old version worked fine 2 days ago. I get the new version requires IOS 17 (iPhone 11 or newer)...but surprised they killed the older version at the same time with no upfront notification

It's no mistake. It says it clear as can be. Celebrity does not offer customer 'tech support'. iPhone 8 and older will not support the iOS 17 and beyond so you will inevitably start losing functionality as your phone ages. 

IMG_2333.thumb.jpg.fec51f8eca4ee37c24e8802420990190.jpg

App developers usually send out notifications/alerts (and a date) when they intend to disable older versions of their apps, apply new hardware limitations etc. This was....hey this worked yesterday and today its not working. Interesting change management methodology. 

3 minutes ago, Bask said:

App developers usually send out notifications/alerts (and a date) when they intend to disable older versions of their apps, apply new hardware limitations etc. This was....hey this worked yesterday and today its not working. Interesting change management methodology. 

It's all about $$$, they have to spend more to support iOS 16 and older

45 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Why?  Our phones are older than this and have no problems.  Then again, we don’t use apps for anything. Not everyone wants to pay hundreds of dollars a month for a cell phone. We prefer to spend our money traveling and splurging such as flying first class or Delta One Suites.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, SerraG said:

I am no Luddite.  I work in tech.  But Apple's policies are planned obsolescence to generate revenue at the expense of Earth's limited resources.  Buying a new phone when your current one works perfectly well is incredibly environmentally irresponsible. 

Apple still supports older versions of iOS 17 for security uodates and bug fixes. Celebrity has decided not to support older versions than iOS 17. I have plenty of apps that are years old and still run fine. iOS 17 did add features but 14, 15, 16, are not that different. 

Edited by Charles4515

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, twins_to_alaska said:

I don't think you can watch the muster on the web. app or stateroom TV.

You are correct about the Web.  I corrected myself but it was too late to edit.
I used the Celebrity app on my iPad vs the Web page. 

The safety drill was playing on our TV in the stateroom so I assume that counted.  I will verify in 16 days when we embark for the first time in almost a year. 

Edited by DaKahuna