New Celebrity App Update Requires IOS 17 or Above (iPhone)?

Bask

1 hour ago, JLMcruise said:

I am in the same boat. I guess my phone is to old. iPhone 8. My question is how will we complete the safety drill? Cruise is just 15 days away and I won't be purchasing a new phone before then. 

DO NOT  WORRY

Safety video is on the cabin tv.. no worries

We never used the app on our old Samsung  Androids,  and  never tried with my new one..Just another distraction which  often has incorrect info..

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, jennmaybe said:

Why?  Our phones are older than this and have no problems.  Then again, we don’t use apps for anything. Not everyone wants to pay hundreds of dollars a month for a cell phone. We prefer to spend our money traveling and splurging such as flying first class or Delta One Suites.

You use the Celebrity app. Celebrity killed their app on your phone. I have apps that run will lon iOS  13 and are still updated. FaceBook for example. While your phone hardware is obsolete  Celebrity decided to make their app obsolete. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

..off topic 

My reading app LIBBY told me I had to upgrade my Tablet by April 1st..Ran out..got a new one..sadly its much bigger than my old one.&.old one better for reading books.

Both still work!    The new one  has a better camera  and photo app so that's nice,  but still reading on the original!

unless you need that X app, I woukd not rush to join the  app crowd!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bask said:

App developers usually send out notifications/alerts (and a date) when they intend to disable older versions of their apps, apply new hardware limitations etc. This was....hey this worked yesterday and today its not working. Interesting change management methodology. 

App developers for smartphones  put that info on their web sites but they don't send out notifications. You might get a notification when you open the app if the devolpoper still exists. As I mentioned in a couple of posts Celebrity could have continued to update thier app to updated versions that would still run on your phone. I have apps that support iOS 13 and maybe earlier, I only checked a few apps. Apparently they did not want to pay their developer to do that. 

Edited by Charles4515

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Oh wait -- maybe you can't.  I watched it on my iPad but that had the App installed.  
I do not think you can do it on the Web. 

Well - a new tradition will be started.....State Room TV will be it - 😂 Won't be sitting at the martini bar sipping our traditional welcome abroad martini. Will be in the cabin with the with the safety drill on the TV and we will be  sipping our martini - then off to the muster station! I am sure our cabin attendant will be happy we have a 2:00pm check in.

Edited by JLMcruise
grammer

With completing the safety videos without a phone/tablet, if you do the safety video in the App it's tracked.  In my direct experience, if they see it is NOT yet complete, they'll ask something like "Have you had a chance to watch the videos on the stateroom TV?"

4 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

I have the same problem but my solution is go to the muster station and they do a demonstration there.

OK -  this keeps us in the same tradition -- go directly to muster station - then to Martini Bar for our traditional "welcome aboard" sipping martini - then to my hair appointment. - No need to watch the video on the TV and they won't call your name out over the PA?

Posted (edited)

There are some misnomers here. This is an app support issue, not an Apple support issue. iOS 15 and 16 are still supported for security updates. Active tech support for 16 ended in September. iOS 15 is technically considered 'end of life', but it's still supported for security updates. Tech support for 15 ended in September of 22. But neither one of those has anything to do with apps or the actual devices themselves. Apps are supposed to tailor to your OS version. You should never be prompted to upgrade to an app version that your OS does not support. The issue here seems to be squarely in the lap of Celebrity. I suspect this was a simple mistake, because there are tons of customers out there still using older OS versions, and that are unable to upgrade. Hopefully they'll correct this soon.

You can see more at endoflife.date/ios.

Edited by omahabob
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

OMG, YES!  I am in the same boat, so to speak.  I am rather attached to my iphone 8+ and also got the "time to update" message.  When it took me to the app store, I wasn't allowed to download...I didn't know it was because my device is so old.  Honestly, it's time for me to get a new phone.  I've only dragged my feet because I'm attached to my home button.  But many fellow CC'ers have talked me off the ledge.  We have a cruise to Alaska coming up in May and I told myself I'd update my phone before then.  All that to say, I am pretty sure Celebrity will still allow you on the ship without the use of the app to do things like the health and safety check...someone else can chime in on that point.

I empathize deeply with your situation! I was greatly attached to my IPhone SE but wasn’t as in love with the camera. Before our recent trip to NZ I upgraded to the 15..base model, didn’t like the larger size of the Max models and honestly it was very easy to adjust to no home button. My new camera takes amazing photos without needing to make all kinds of adjustments…I’m def not a techy person. And this new camera…sorry, phone 🤦🏼‍♀️, easily updates to all the new security features. Good luck with whatever you choose to do but Alaska is an amazing destination with heaps of photo opportunities and a new phone with an upgraded camera won’t be the worst decision you’ll ever make! 😉

2 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

I empathize deeply with your situation! I was greatly attached to my IPhone SE but wasn’t as in love with the camera. Before our recent trip to NZ I upgraded to the 15..base model, didn’t like the larger size of the Max models and honestly it was very easy to adjust to no home button. My new camera takes amazing photos without needing to make all kinds of adjustments…I’m def not a techy person. And this new camera…sorry, phone 🤦🏼‍♀️, easily updates to all the new security features. Good luck with whatever you choose to do but Alaska is an amazing destination with heaps of photo opportunities and a new phone with an upgraded camera won’t be the worst decision you’ll ever make! 😉

For most, it only takes a couple of days to get used to a new phone if it’s the same brand.  If going from a iPhone to non-iPhone or vice versa, that’s different.

We personally get a new phone every other year.  You only live once, for most (it’s somewhat age specific) you’re on your phone at least an hour a day, and it’s in your hands more than anything else

21 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

For most, it only takes a couple of days to get used to a new phone if it’s the same brand.  If going from a iPhone to non-iPhone or vice versa, that’s different.

We personally get a new phone every other year.  You only live once, for most (it’s somewhat age specific) you’re on your phone at least an hour a day, and it’s in your hands more than anything else

So true. The iPhone OS upgrades the last 4, 5 or 6 years have been incremental. The next os upgrade though is looking to be huge. I bet though it will still be recognizable and easy to pick up on the changes. 

1 hour ago, omahabob said:

ted to upgrade to an app version that your OS does not support. The issue here seems to be squarely in the lap of Celebrity. I suspect this was a simple mistake, because there are tons of customers out there still using older OS versions, and that are unable to upgrade. Hopefully they'll correct this soon.

You have more faith in Celebrity than I do. I think they don’t have a clue. That’s why they did it. I think it would be a simple fix. Probably a word or two of code. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

For us it's budget specific! 

I upgraded my phone  last year,  but will wait til that phone is paid off  and my husb  upgrades next yr.. 

We use phones to text each other, make some calls and I take pics.  Being retired helps not being on it  so much!

All this tech adds up..:  new phones, new tablet, new  home computer, lap tops...and new car ! We need a money tree!

I had the same issue on my iPhone X. I was going to buy new phone and was backing up my data to the cloud. Next day I was able to open the Celebrity app. Don’t think that the back up had anything to do with it but I can get in now.  Of course, could change any minute😎

Mine did the same thing. I haven’t updated my phone still so I can’t update the app. I just force closed the app and reopened and the message went away. But I have to do that everytime I leave the app or the message reappears. 

34 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

You have more faith in Celebrity than I do. I think they don’t have a clue. That’s why they did it. I think it would be a simple fix. Probably a word or two of code. 

Where did I say I had faith? Notice I said 'hopefully' they'll fix it. Hope is not faith. But, yeah.

5 hours ago, Bask said:

App developers usually send out notifications/alerts (and a date) when they intend to disable older versions of their apps, apply new hardware limitations etc. This was....hey this worked yesterday and today its not working. Interesting change management methodology. 

I am currently on celebrity Reflection.  I have an iphonne SE.  yesterday was a port day so nearly everyone was on shore.  Suddenly my app would not work. I went to the ilounge desk and the  staff there who were COMPLETELY UNAWARE THAT THE APP WOULD NO LONGER WORK ON THIS PHONE.  They had received no notification that anything would be amiss!!!  I was the first person who reported any problem.  Later as people returned from shore the line for assistance was long and everyone was extremely frustrated. Luckily i had the premium package and was able to update my phone overnight.  But if you didnt have that you are out of luck and the app is dead to you.

Phones are computers that happen to make phone calls and driven by software  Apps will not be always be able to be updated forever. Apps require technical resources on the phone that may not easy to develop a work around. Overall graphics, GUI and UI experience cant be adjusted to the lowest common denominator   

To some extent, X looks at then number of Apple SE (or whatever) and determines that the amount of development required to make an SE run is not worth the effort considering how many SE phones are on the market 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WestLakeGirl said:

eryone was extremely frustrated. Luckily i had the premium package and was able to update my phone overnight.  But if you didnt have that you are out of luck and the app is dead to you.

If I might make a suggestion for everyone. When going on a cruise I have made it a habit to go to settings and under App Store toggle off App Updates because that was something I didn’t want to happen on very slow internet or without warning when away from home. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, tfred said:

To some extent, X looks at then number of Apple SE (or whatever) and determines that the amount of development required to make an SE run is not worth the effort considering how many SE phones are on the market 

Just so people don’t get confused if they have a iPhone SE there are 3 generations of iPhone SE. 2016, 2020 and 2022. iOS 17 will run on the iPhone 2020 and the iPhone phone 2022. So Celebrity is only not supporting their app on the 1st gen iPhone SE 2016 an 8 year old phone.  

Edited by Charles4515

7 hours ago, SerraG said:

Oh.  That explains the issue I’ve been having, too.  I have been stuck in a loop between the app saying that I need to update and sending me to the App Store, as you describe.   Then the App Store doesn’t show an update available.   I didn’t notice the header that said  “Requires iOS 17 or later” until you mentioned it.  I hate updating my iOS because it always causes all kinds of unforeseen problems and annoying interface changes.  

I imagine a lot of people still have older iPhones like you, and aren’t going to be able to update either.  What a pain.  

I have zero issues with updates..running an iPhone 13 Pro here

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, jennmaybe said:

Why?  Our phones are older than this and have no problems.  Then again, we don’t use apps for anything. Not everyone wants to pay hundreds of dollars a month for a cell phone. We prefer to spend our money traveling and splurging such as flying first class or Delta One Suites.

Who pays hundreds a month?

Like others have said you can check in on a computer and complete the process at the port..

Edited by PTC DAWG