The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday April 17th, 2024

kazu

@MISTER 67 Our Detroit Red Wings didn't make the Wild Card.  The Capitals somehow squeaked it out so they are in, Detroit is out.  

@grapau27  Sympathy to Pauline on the memory of her Mam's 102nd birthday.   I hope Sarah is on the mend soon.  What a tasty looking meal! 

@bennybear  Nice Mustangs!!   Thanks for the photos of Taormina.   

@JazzyV I am sad to read that you only had 3 hours of sleep.  I hope your surgery and some relief are soon.   

@ger_77 So sorry to read your lost a school friend.  I wish you would come to the end of your winter.  We had a brief storm and I think that is the end of our bad weather for a few days.   

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

@cat shepard, you may or may not recall that about a year ago I posted that “Monastrell” is the Spanish name for the Rhone “Mourvedre” grape.  Well, guess what.  The Spaniards have another name for Mourvedre—Mataro.  Go figure.  I suspect, not sure, that the choice in nomenclature is regional.

An interesting question is why does an Australian wine use that name?

Actually, I am aware of a couple California wineries who call out Mataro instead of Mourvedre.  In every one of those cases, the source vineyard for the grapes is quite old.  My thought is that the original planter was a Spanish immigrant, and that was the name he used.  Maybe some day I’ll have the opportunity to ask Joel Peterson why his wine is labeled “Mataro.”

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Well... my comments disappeared. If you find a half finished note from me ignore it. I will start again.

I was up early to walk the dogs then headed out to the dentist. I was past due for my cleaning and X-rays. I was worried about getting there on time due to the road work, but I made it. No problems found. Whew!!!

Annie... take care of yourself. I am glad there seems to be no damage from your fall but don't push things. I agree better the butt than the face. The kittens will be such fun to watch as they grow.

Jacqui @kazuI hope your foot issues can be resolved and quickly. Foot problems can really interfere with life plans. I know from experience. I hope you can do the cruise and enjoy it to max.

My plan for this afternoon is to get that last piece of luggage unpacked and work on sorting the two closets that hold the bulk of my clothes. I took a few things on the cruise that I found I did not want to wear for various reasons.... and I know I will never wear them again. So I have started a thrift store bag. I plan to add items from the "at home" closets to it.

For those who find themselves saying a farewell to old friends... you have my sympathy. I suspect that at least part of my inertia on my return home from the cruise is that my two closest friends are missing. Diane passed in July and Susan passed just after I left San Diego on the cruise in January. I find I keep feeling I should be calling them. Both have cruised with me in the past and we have done lots of things together over the past years .... some 50 of them. Both were younger than me. But as we get older, it happens more frequently. You should hear my 95 year old sister on the subject.

Take care all.

Susan

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

23 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

@MISTER 67 Our Detroit Red Wings didn't make the Wild Card.  The Capitals somehow squeaked it out so they are in, Detroit is out.  

@grapau27  Sympathy to Pauline on the memory of her Mam's 102nd birthday.   I hope Sarah is on the mend soon.  What a tasty looking meal! 

@bennybear  Nice Mustangs!!   Thanks for the photos of Taormina.   

@JazzyV I am sad to read that you only had 3 hours of sleep.  I hope your surgery and some relief are soon.   

@ger_77 So sorry to read your lost a school friend.  I wish you would come to the end of your winter.  We had a brief storm and I think that is the end of our bad weather for a few days.   

Ottahand, the Caps played very good the last few weeks, about a month ago they were just about history.

• Like 11

8 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Not sure about celebrating Blah! Blah! but someone will let us know why we should.

Pie for a meal - yes please! Would try the wine, pass on the drink now that I know what it is, not been to the port; I'll check back to see the pictures I'm sure others will post. I did go to Messina Nov 2023 - will share pictures later.

Big days in history. 

2 MRIs this morning then a full day of work. Nothing exciting.

Beautiful picture @seagarsmoker

Not even 5am yet & it's already 72° - ugh. Headed to cloudy 84°.

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

20240417_045310.thumb.jpg.7b0f1dabeee118f46053ccdc31f0512a.jpg

Good luck with your 2 MRIs today.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

One grandmother of mine came through Ellis Island as a toddler. (Family legend says infant in arms, but the dates don't fit that.) Her eventual husband was somewhat older; he had come from the same region in Poland-Lithuania earlier. I owned a Ford Mustang ca. 1980, during the period when they were least like Mustangs, but when there was a big German engine and the CHP used them as pursuit cars. It got me into some difficulty once, trying to enter Canada.

Pass on the pie, as much as I love rhubarb. The Applejack Sour appears to lack sourness. Only one of the typical grapes, Syrah, of a Rhone blend is cultivated here, so I'll suggest a different blend, Element Winery's 2018 Can’t Stop/Won’t Stop. One of the minor characters in E. F. Benson's Rye novels called her cottage Taormina.

I'm not firing on all cylinders today. Last night I was asked to fill in for one of the officiants in the synagogue on Saturday morning, which kept me awake much too late. The part I'm to cover is the section that I'm least comfortable with, and which doesn't include any of the parts that I really like to lead.

DalaiMama.thumb.jpg.7e9931f500b2aa8ebb9b7a2646008dc6.jpg

• Like 19
  • Haha 4

Good afternoon from a cooler, windy day in SE Wisconsin.  It rained a lot last night and this morning, but we didn't get the storms that some in the midwest got.  Thanks for the port pictures today, looks like a beautiful place to visit.  I tried to grow rhubarb, it died out after a few years...usually you can't kill rhubarb!  Today was my Reading Buddy day, my Kindergarten friend was trying to figure out the word "said."  I told him what it was, he said "it would make more sense for it to be an "e" not "ai"!"  I agreed with him!  

@marshhawkcongrats on being a kitty gramma!  Have fun watching them grow.  Sorry to hear about your fall, feel better soon.

@kazuSorry to hear about your foot issues, hoping it gets better and you can take your cruise. 

@grapau27Warm thoughts for you and Pauline as you remember her Mam's birthday.  Hoping Sarah feels better soon.

@JazzyVI'm sure you are counting down the days till your surgery...prayers it all goes well.

@ger_77Sounds like you had a nice visit with your dear Grands!  Sorry to hear about the loss of your friends.

@LambKnucklesGood to hear you are feeling a little better!  

Blessings on the rest of your day, hugs and good thoughts for all who need them, and cheers for the rest!  Karen

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

I took a nap, most of me feels much better.  I think over all I just pulled some muscles more than they should have been pulled.

The sky is dark, and the air is silent.  We are expecting rain.

My first ex had a 1980 Mustang. He met up with me and one of my friends at a local restaurant, and the owner(Ludlow Porch) took a picture of all the cars in the parking lot on opening night, and hung them on the wall.  They hung there for 40 years.  And for 40 years I had to look at a picture of that car. Argh!  But the restaurant closed last month, and I sort of wish I knew they were closing so I could have the picture.  I dont miss him, but I miss the friend that we had dinner with that night.  Long story very short,they ended up having a fling together. I still miss her.

I was not into American Muscle cars.  I like Triumph, and MG, and MGBGT's, and Ferrari's, an old bathtub" Porches.and my favorite racing after F1 is Antique Auto racing.  (I know, I'm weird for a girl).

My adopted family either snuck into America via Canada, or they came on the Mayflower.  My mom's Dad was from Saskatchewan, and her mom's mom was from Eastern Canada.  

• Like 21

1 minute ago, marshhawk said:

I took a nap, most of me feels much better.  I think over all I just pulled some muscles more than they should have been pulled.

The sky is dark, and the air is silent.  We are expecting rain.

My first ex had a 1980 Mustang. He met up with me and one of my friends at a local restaurant, and the owner(Ludlow Porch) took a picture of all the cars in the parking lot on opening night, and hung them on the wall.  They hung there for 40 years.  And for 40 years I had to look at a picture of that car. Argh!  But the restaurant closed last month, and I sort of wish I knew they were closing so I could have the picture.  I dont miss him, but I miss the friend that we had dinner with that night.  Long story very short,they ended up having a fling together. I still miss her.

I was not into American Muscle cars.  I like Triumph, and MG, and MGBGT's, and Ferrari's, an old bathtub" Porches.and my favorite racing after F1 is Antique Auto racing.  (I know, I'm weird for a girl).

My adopted family either snuck into America via Canada, or they came on the Mayflower.  My mom's Dad was from Saskatchewan, and her mom's mom was from Eastern Canada.  

Annie, I'm glad you got some sleep and are feeling better.  Even pulled muscles take time to heal, so continue to take it easy. 

DH had a red MGB convertible when I met him.  It was a lot of fun.  We also had a used Mercedes SL that was fun driving on the back roads in southeastern PA when we lived there in the early 1980s.  We kept it until the mid-90s.  When he was in the Army, we bought a used Metropolitan for $50 that had the transmission in the trunk.  After we towed it to the Army post and fixed the transmission, it was a lot of fun to drive.  We sold it for $75 when he got out of the Army.

Lenda

• Like 16

10 hours ago, kazu said:

Sorry everyone.  I haven’t been on a whole lot and apologize to all for any losses, worries or concerns I have missed.

I am just too stressed and depressed.  The foot has not become less painful and I was told to get into the doctor yesterday.  She has prescribed some stuff but very concerned and I am to see her tomorrow morning first thing.  At that time, I will be advised if I can go on the cruise or not.  I’m supposed to be leaving Friday.  Had no heart to pack any further yesterday. 

To say I am depressed is an understatement.  

I hope that the stuff prescribed for you works on your foot pain.

Good luck tomorrow morning.

45e9d657a9a17aa0544d6574a71afed3.gif

• Like 15

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good luck with your 2 MRIs today.

Thank you - they were the easiest I've ever done probably due to the great tech!

Hugs for you and Pauline today as you remember her late mam's birthday.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

We went out for lunch to celebrate Pauline's late mam's 102nd birthday.

Sarah was poorly so she couldn't come today.

Pauline's mam always got 

Fish and chips so that's what Pauline got today.

I got my usual Mixed Grill.

Prayers for Jacqui @kazu that her foot pain starts to heal and she can enjoy her cruise in a few days time.

Happy to hear my dear friend Lambie @LambKnuckles is feeling a lot better today.

IMG_20240417_132807.jpg

IMG_20240417_132822.jpg

I'll take a plate of the fish and chips (with garden peas preferably).  I hope Pauline is feeling a little better emotionally and Sarah is feeling better physically.  

7 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Ellis Island was such an important place for so many families who were seeking a new and better life.  I wasn't a mustang girl, my pride and joy was a 1973 AMC Javelin; it had a 360 V8 that went v-e-r-y fast!  

I'm back, and after returning home through rain that changed to snow, I was able to speed read through last week's posts.  WOW, did I miss a lot!

First of all, my heartfelt condolences to @atexsix, @puppycanducruise and @Mr. Boston on your losses.  

@Gsel and @LambKnuckleswelcome to the Daily; it's always nice to see new people join the group.

@kazuOh my, you poor thing!  I'm sending healing vibes and good thoughts for your medical appt tomorrow; you just can't seem to catch a break!

@superoma congratulations on the new little one to cuddle and welcome to little Laine Alanna!

@kochleffel and @marshhawk we're going to have to special order bubble wrap online and have it delivered to the two of you!

While in Calgary I received word that my best friend from high school (we were inseparable, as we were two Gerry's - she was Gerrie though - and were each other's bridesmaids/matrons of honour at our weddings) had passed away from a brief battle with cancer.  And a day later, another friend from high school texted me to say another classmate had died of ALS.  Sad, but we're reaching that stage of our lives where we're having to say goodbye to dear friends and just cherish the memories of time spent together.

We had a great time in Calgary with our family; it was a whirlwind of activity.  The birthday boy said he'd rather have 2 gifts and a meal at the restaurant of his choice, than a regular birthday party, so that's what happened.  He received 2 large Lego sets (one of the flower bouquets designed for 18+, and a Star Wars set), and we went to a great sushi restaurant for the celebration.  Of course we took the little one (age 4) from his daycare to we could spend time with him, and went shopping.  You forget how exciting life is for a 4 year old just driving down the freeway:  "Grandma, look, a dump truck!  An ambulance!  A garbage truck!  A police car with his lights and sirens going past us!"  Thankfully the latter went past us.  LOL  When we got up yesterday morning we were greeted with about 4 inches of wet, heavy snow; it took DH almost 30 minutes to get the car cleared off so we could leave.  Along the drive (6 hours) we encountered rain, snow, rain, sleet, and finally more rain as we drove into Saskatoon.  This morning we woke up to everything covered in white thick heavy snow, just like yesterday's in Calgary and we're expecting to have it continue for the next 48 hours, dropping a possible 15cm's (6") when it's done.  Sigh.  Springtime on the "frozen tundra".

Today we have to get groceries (as I cleaned out the fridge before we left) to pick up essentials, and then it's time to do the laundry.  Mundane, but back to our routine again.  While we were away I did manage to make 3 more blankets (our oldest had watched a crocheting demo on You Tube and asked if he could help with a few stitches - he did an admirable job for a novice!), and was able to stop at the Walmarts along our trip both ways to purchase more yarn, so I'm set for a while now.

I'd like to try the drink, am pretty sure I'd like the wine, an oh my, I'd love to try the pie.  I do like rhubarb pie - as does DH, so I'm going to take a close look at those recipes.  First night home means we're going to have a simple meal - panko crusted air fried salmon, mini baked potatoes and coleslaw will be what's happening at our kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in turmoil, and in wars.  Cheers to all who have celebrations going on today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

I'm very sorry to hear about your high school friends passing recently.  I have one I'm a bit worried about and wish I could see her soon.  She lives in Texas.  She was my very best friend.  Nice to hear you talk about enjoying the little ones.  I miss that age - ours are just so grown up!

7 hours ago, superoma said:

The problem was the provinces couldn’t decide on how amendments would be handled and yes, it took an abnormally long time to finally repatriate it! 

Thanks for that explanation.  Glad it finally got done!

6 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  It is currently 73 and going up to 84.  I am very grateful I ended up not going down head first instead of butt land.  The left leg is sore, from toes to butt, and the only pain pill I had in the house was a baby aspirin.  DH wrapped my ankle with an ice pack, and I went to bed.  The more I lay there, the more areas of pain I found.  but nothing is broken.  Yippee.  But I kept waking up, so awake at 1:30, awake at 4 something and came back on the catch up with the night owls, and was amazed that at 4 something the powers to be had shut off comments for yesterday. Hobbled back to bed, and slept til 6:30, thought to myself, nope, not ready to get up, and then slept until 9:30.  Made coffee, fed cats, checked in on momma Munchkin and the babies.(  Ok, the babies. One is white and black, one is gray, and two are mostly black.  So total of 4.) Then sat down, slurped some coffee read the posts from this morning, got dressed, drove over to the house next door, and walked the dog.  Drove back up the driveway, grabbed more coffee and came back to the daily.

Welcome @Gsel and @TAW1963

@superoma Wishing Laine Alanna a wonderful life!  And I agree how great to let Mom stay at the hospital with her.  

@ger_77Welcome home.  Sorry about your weather, but I do see that Canada is sick of winter, so it's sending it south this weekend. I am sorry about the loss of your friends.  To me there are 4 loss times, our grandparents, our parents, our friends, and then well, us.

I do have a zillion things to do, but think I will just crash in the guest room and watch TV this afternoon, or get that nap I didn't get yesterday.

@kazuI am so sorry that you are depressed over this foot business.  I too have no idea how you injured yourself, but I hope that your doc can find you an instant cure.  If there is something that medically needs to be addressed daily, then perhaps your doc will let you go, and you can visit the medical care center everyday to have their doc care for you.  Costly, but if necessary would keep you on the cruise. However, if this if life threatening, then you need to take care of you right now.  Hugs being sent your way.

Well, this is all my brain, and body can handle right now.

1dbbe119f41698ba7e45ea96f9706f68.jpg

349423ec6569ad7d87bc29b18a47c60d--minions.jpg

I hope you continue feeling better after that horrible fall last night.  Our older bodies just don't flex the way they used to.  😬  Just take it easy and hopefully ibuprofen helps.  Are you still icing?

5 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Nieuw Statendam has just departed Cobh on her way to St Peter's Port.  It was really strange standing beside the ship and knowing that we cannot board her until Sunday!

We met @Vict0riann Ann and Pat at the Cobh Heritage Centre which is just at the exit of the port gates and shares a building with the train station.  We drove up to St Coleman's Cathedral for a visit and then went to the Titanic Memorial Gardens.  Then a light lunch before they returned to the ship.  

We actually paused for a photo op at the Annie Moore statue at the port gates, which commemorates the first arrival processed at Ellis Island in 1892

20240417_133301.thumb.jpg.7aaf3c781d6fd1a3e156d1ff640bcc5d.jpg

I just noticed that Ellen was getting very friendly with Pat 😄

Here we all are after our lunch, posing against the mural inside the restaurant.  The mural represents the actual outside of the restuarant and neighbouring buildings 

rra20240417_130506.thumb.jpg.2f7fc94f7805d55f1b78b1a727f700e2.jpg

@kazu Jacqui, we really hope that you can overcome your pain and anguish.  Stay strong.

Have a great day everyone!

It's so nice when you can meet up with old friends like this!  Thanks for sharing the photos with us.  

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

We'll have 3 days of beautiful sunshine and temps up to the mid 60's -- yay!  

Yesterday I had to laugh -- I always hang a windsock and change it for the season/holiday.  After hanging it yesterday, it set off the security camera every time the breeze made it move.....hanging them involves getting up on a ladder, so out came the ladder again so I could move it (DH was working)  Thankfully he'll be home to help me hang the heavy Fuchsia this week.  That's something I won't do alone.  🙂  

I don't think anyone in our family has ever had a Mustang.  Will pass on the drink, red wine and Rhubarb pie.  I would love pie for a meal, just not Rhubarb.  We've been to Taormina a few times and have a lot of photos, but they would be too much like Sandi's and Lenda's so will pass on posting them.

The latest I heard about Amber is that she had a stroke while in the hospital -- no other news yet today.  But BFF is overwhelmed, I'm sure, with the Grandkids and just everything.  Those poor kids 😞  I appreciate the prayers!

Jacqui @kazu I'm SO sorry to hear that your foot isn't any better and that you may have to cancel your cruise 😞  Prayers that everything gets much better and you get better news from your doctor.

@LambKnuckles Glad to hear you're feeling better!  Those coughs can certainly linger on.

Annie @marshhawk Yikes about your fall!  I'm sorry you had a rough night with the aches and pains, and join you in the relief nothing is broken.

Gerry @ger_77 My condolences on the death of your best friend from high school and your  classmate.

Welcome to the Daily @Gsel!

I'm so sorry to hear of Amber's stroke.  Prayers for her family and I really hope this turns out better than expected.  

Vanessa @JazzyV I am praying the tornado watch turns into nothing for you.  Take care!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

Well, the plumber showed up on time and after four hours we now have a new water heater that I can access with my phone and turn it off for the days we are away from home.  The plumber was very professional and I might contact him when we think about remodeling our bath room.

Time for a glass of red wine and to light the barbecue for steaks tonight.

Ray

• Like 15

Posted (edited)

Argh - Grub Hub app shows our driver is spinning in circles. No matter how loudly or frequently I tell Lauren to go the other way, her car does not point toward us.

I fear DH will have cold pork chops...🤷‍♀️ or maybe Lauren's DH will have cold pork chops 🤔🥺

And no thank you, I do not care to order something from 7-11 so it can also not arrive.

20240417_190018.thumb.jpg.8531bc9a8a28d80be665834e893e6891.jpg

20240417_185949.thumb.jpg.97b6cd05e80a0abf4afbce3cf4ac6a5b.jpg

20240417_185924.thumb.jpg.79fab3f2c1f35a39c1b20798950e4688.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Haha 9

21 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

I’m going to and try to attach a short video clip of a bride and her father entering one of the churches that @StLouisCruisers cruisers posted earlier..

IMG_1521.mov 42.79 MB · 2 downloads  

That was really nice!  A beautiful bride.  I noticed the door opened a small portion with the arched top and not the entire door.  Never would have thought to look for that when I was there.

13 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Argh - Grub Hub app shows our driver is spinning in circles. No matter how loudly or frequently I tell Lauren to go the other way, her car does not point toward us.

I fear DH will have cold pork chops...🤷‍♀️ or maybe Lauren's DH will have cold pork chops 🤔🥺

And no thank you, I do not care to order something from 7-11 so it can also not arrive.

20240417_190018.thumb.jpg.8531bc9a8a28d80be665834e893e6891.jpg

20240417_185949.thumb.jpg.97b6cd05e80a0abf4afbce3cf4ac6a5b.jpg

20240417_185924.thumb.jpg.79fab3f2c1f35a39c1b20798950e4688.jpg

It's not really that funny but didn't like it or want to thank you for it.  We need more choices!  Hope the pork chops made it still warm.  We had pork chops too.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

...It's not really that funny but didn't like it or want to thank you for it.  We need more choices!  Hope the pork chops made it still warm.  We had pork chops too.

We do need more choices, don't we?

It was funny but not when that little car just kept spinning in circles. 🥺

The pork chops were not warm but they smelled good and after a brief re-heat, he ate them so couldn't have been too bad. I hope yours were good.😊

• Like 9

15 hours ago, kazu said:

Sorry everyone.  I haven’t been on a whole lot and apologize to all for any losses, worries or concerns I have missed.

I am just too stressed and depressed.  The foot has not become less painful and I was told to get into the doctor yesterday.  She has prescribed some stuff but very concerned and I am to see her tomorrow morning first thing.  At that time, I will be advised if I can go on the cruise or not.  I’m supposed to be leaving Friday.  Had no heart to pack any further yesterday. 

To say I am depressed is an understatement.  

So sorry to hear this news. I hope the doctor has decent news and something that can help.

@aliaschiefGreat pictures! I lived in India for a while many (many) years ago, but never saw the Taj Mahal. It embarrasses me to say that (although I saw a lot of other things).

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1