Advice for First time Celebrity cruisers, continued, specific to M and S class ships

A few years ago I started with various pieces of advice.  But then thread drift took over so rather than adding to that one, I am starting over.

— Please let people OFF the elevator before you start to get on

— Occupied stalls in the restrooms have red showing on the locks

— Elevator ‘dings’ tell you which way the elevator is going. One ding  for up, two for down

— There are different bins for soiled towels and other trash in the restrooms.  Please don’t put soiled cloth towels in the General bins

— Café al Bacio has table service and takeaway.  Form a line if you want takeaway (paper cups) but if you take a seat, a server will come to you and you will be served in a china cup.

—If the stanchions are up, they aren’t ready to start serving lunch so don’t climb under them

— Don’t shout out answers in trivia or sing  out answers in music trivia. Its a competition.

— no smoking inside includes e-cigarettes

— cafe al Bacio doesn’t have brewed coffee.  The closest they come is Americano (espresso with hot water added)

— Some ships change to local time, some don’t, so read the daily program carefully

— If you find the door to the toilet too heavy, look for the button with the wheelchair symbol on it. Push it to have the door open for you.

— Don’t leave room service trays in the passageway because it’s hard to move scooters and housekeeping buggies past them.

— If you find a duck don’t take it to Lost and Found— either keep it or hide it somewhere else.

—Try not to let your cabin door slam behind you when entering or leaving your Stateroom

— dont use your phones in trivia even if the host forgets to tell you not to

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

— Don’t leave room service trays in the passageway because it’s hard to move scooters and housekeeping buggies past them.

They ask that you leave trays in the hallway if you're in quarantine. Trays in the hall were one of my pet peeves until we got covid.

• Like 1

~~ when they take your drink orders they flip the menu on its side so the other waiters won’t bug you.  This is in Cafe AlBacio and the buffet

~~ if you ever have an “off” smell in your bathroom, try pouring a couple of glasses of water down the drain in the floor (not the drain in the shower)

~~ keeping the door to the verandah closed helps reduce the “whoosh” sound it can create 

Posted (edited)

@WestLakeGirl and @patty1955 Not S or M class but as a heads up, I've been told by our Stateroom Attendant twice on Beyond and also on Apex, in the Caribbean and in Europe, to leave trays in the hall outside our door. They have someone come by with a cart to pick them up. Not because of covid.

Patty 

Edited by cw2go
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

But then thread drift took over

I love this.

It has been a long time since I have cruised a M ship, I'm not sure what the Mercury would be classified as but that was our first ever cruise, then we followed up with the Millennium the next year. We are booked on the Constellation this coming January and really looking forward to it. Don't let the age of a ship throw you or the size of the ship. My DW and I like the smaller ships. I study the floor layout before our cruise to get and idea, but there isn't anything like actually walking around and seeing for yourself. It eliminates a lot of frustration on trying to get from one area to another, if you know you need change a floor to get there.

I will add what I have always said and my adult kids live by, learn to go with the flow.

EVERY trip will have things pop up that are not great, how you deal with it makes your trip. Remember, everyone with you is on vacation and want to have a good time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mike981 said:

I love this.

It has been a long time since I have cruised a M ship, I'm not sure what the Mercury would be classified as but that was our first ever cruise, then we followed up with the Millennium the next year. We are booked on the Constellation this coming January

Mercury predated the M class ships.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

If I remember correctly Mercury was Century Class. I remember the Mercury, it had an escalator. The 4 ships were the Century, Mercury, Horizon, and Zenith.

Edited by bigbenboys
added info
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

If I remember correctly Mercury was Century Class. I remember the Mercury, it had an escalator. The 4 ships were the Century, Mercury, Horizon, and Zenith.

Galaxy was also C class. Century had an Escalator.

I think Horizon and Zenith were The “class” prior to C.

28 minutes ago, lovecruzin said:

I don't recall an escalator on the Century

3 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

It is funny to think back to those class cruise ships. I had a suite on the Zenith, but there was no balcony, only windows. I still loved those older smaller ships. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

1 hour ago, bigbenboys said:

37 minutes ago, lovecruzin said:

7 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

3 minutes ago, larry_s_taco said:

It is funny to think back to those class cruise ships. I had a suite on the Zenith, but there was no balcony, only windows. I still loved those older smaller ships. 

It didn't take long for the thread drift to start.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

It may be allowed, but it’s still a problem for those of us using scooters so I hope people will not put barriers in our way.

Plus it's disgusting

• Like 1

5 hours ago, patty1955 said:

They ask that you leave trays in the hallway if you're in quarantine. Trays in the hall were one of my pet peeves until we got covid.

Well, when you're not in quarantine, please don't leave your room service tray in the hall.  Call room service for pickup.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Well, when you're not in quarantine, please don't leave your room service tray in the hall.  Call room service for pickup.

We never leave it in the hall (except when in quarantined). As I said, it's one of my pet peeves. I just now understand that some people don't have a choice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cw2go said:

@WestLakeGirl and @patty1955 Not S or M class but as a heads up, I've been told by our Stateroom Attendant twice on Beyond and also on Apex, in the Caribbean and in Europe, to leave trays in the hall outside our door. They have someone come by with a cart to pick them up. Not because of covid.

Patty 

Room service must be lazy on E class.  Yet another reason not to sail those ships.  Trays in the hall on the floor are a hazard to those who must navigate by scooter.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

It was forward starboard side. At least on the Mercury. It just went from one deck to another, not all decks. 

5 hours ago, Mike981 said:

I love this.

It has been a long time since I have cruised a M ship, I'm not sure what the Mercury would be classified as but that was our first ever cruise, then we followed up with the Millennium the next year. We are booked on the Constellation this coming January and really looking forward to it. Don't let the age of a ship throw you or the size of the ship. My DW and I like the smaller ships. I study the floor layout before our cruise to get and idea, but there isn't anything like actually walking around and seeing for yourself. It eliminates a lot of frustration on trying to get from one area to another, if you know you need change a floor to get there.

I will add what I have always said and my adult kids live by, learn to go with the flow.

EVERY trip will have things pop up that are not great, how you deal with it makes your trip. Remember, everyone with you is on vacation and want to have a good time.

Mike981, succinctly put.  DH and I love M class for a variety of reasons.  We just booked Infinity in 2026 for Athens (PIRA) 11 nites. cruise.  Mercury was a Century Class cruise ship.  We loved her (2009 & 2010) until she was sold to TUI Cruises. (a joint venture involving a German company and Royal Caribbean Corp.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Thank you.

3 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

Century class, that sounds right. Escalator, my wife and I do not remember one.

4 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

The stall locks on Edge did not have a green/white indicator from what I remember.

Maybe we need an edge class thread but this one is all about m and s class ships

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Room service must be lazy on E class.  Yet another reason not to sail those ships.  Trays in the hall on the floor are a hazard to those who must navigate by scooter.

It would be a hazard for anyone in the event of an emergency. Some cruiselines even post cards in the room stating this.

• Like 1

In a vain effort to wrestle this back to the topic, let me first say that I never knew that the elevator dings indicated its direction of travel. Good to know.

Not specific to M/S class or to any ship, really, but if the elevator is going up and people have been waiting on it, do not get on and push the button for a lower floor. Some elevators will cancel the original direction and take the direction indicated by the first button pushed. 

• Like 2