WiFi Packages?

We are in the process of booking a trip on Grandeur. Unfortunately, we both have to continue to do some work while away. I have searched the forums for hours looking for the answer to the following question without success, so please pardon the new topic.

Using one WiFi device at a time will not work for us. At all. All the concierge suites are booked already so we are in F1. I know one can purchase the streaming package, with dubious benefits, but that does not add devices. Is there any package that allows you to add devices? Thank you.

On our recent Grandeur cruise we were in an F1 and the nice IT guy just gave us WiFi for extra devices without a charge 😊. Quite right too tbh as it’s a bit ridiculous to only allow one device as standard on an all inclusive cruise 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jchisley said:

On our recent Grandeur cruise we were in an F1 and the nice IT guy just gave us WiFi for extra devices without a charge 😊. Quite right too tbh as it’s a bit ridiculous to only allow one device as standard on an all inclusive cruise 

Obviously, that sounds much better than $25 per/per. I speak IT so maybe I can bond with the nice IT guy. And yes, the one device limit with these prices on an all inclusive cruise seems absurd.

Thanks to you both for your prompt replies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bookbabe said:

A travel router may solve your issue without having to hope for extra free logins once you board.

Yeah, I was thinking about that, but it seems that you have to use the Regent app to log onto the system? And, of course, even if we figure that out, it still limits us to multiple devices only in the suite.

1 hour ago, ifitfloats said:

Yeah, I was thinking about that, but it seems that you have to use the Regent app to log onto the system? And, of course, even if we figure that out, it still limits us to multiple devices only in the suite.

Lots of the travel routers have an app or some other setup feature that lets you log into the ship’s captive wifi network, we just did this on a Viking cruise, used that same router on Mariner last year.  It does limit you to multiple in suite only, but how often would you be using multiple devices elsewhere in the ship?

If you are Gold you get "INCLUDED - Unlimited WiFi with four log-ins, for up to four devices" as per the Regent Seven Seas Society Benefits, regardless of what suite type you are in.

13 hours ago, Qld13 said:

If you are Gold you get "INCLUDED - Unlimited WiFi with four log-ins, for up to four devices" as per the Regent Seven Seas Society Benefits, regardless of what suite type you are in.

Not gold, or anything else, yet. British Isles June 2025 booked though. 

On 4/21/2024 at 4:22 PM, The Hudson Co. Landlubber said:

I would love to use a travel router on my first regent cruise coming up on Splendor.  But I am concerned if it is a violation of the TOS?  (I am kinda big on rule-following, sorry to be a dork!)

If it is not an explicit violation of the TOS, I am going to try it.

I’ve never seen anything mentioned, and our cabin steward and butler walked by the clearly visible router multiple times a day without comment.

And, for those not reading the kindle thread, the router solves kindle login issues as well as giving you multiple device access.

• Thanks 1

A travel router is probably a better idea but another option to get multi connections to the internet might be to use your cellular device to connect to the cellular at sea service. Although expensive I think Regent does supply a cell signal while at sea. ATT offers a plan for cruisers and your carrier probably does too. 

I have no idea how good the cellular at sea service is. My only experience is using it as a reminder to go into Airplane mode. 

48 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

A travel router is probably a better idea but another option to get multi connections to the internet might be to use your cellular device to connect to the cellular at sea service. Although expensive I think Regent does supply a cell signal while at sea. ATT offers a plan for cruisers and your carrier probably does too. 

I have no idea how good the cellular at sea service is. My only experience is using it as a reminder to go into Airplane mode. 

Verizon's is $30/day for 0.5GB and 50 min calling.

Yes, AT&T has two cruise plans. Either $60 or $100 one-time charge per line which is valid for 30 days. And we add the AT&T International Plan for when onshore.

But, does anyone have any experience with the performance of the Regent onboard cellular system? If it works decently, this would solve our problem.

4 hours ago, bookbabe said:

I’ve never seen anything mentioned, and our cabin steward and butler walked by the clearly visible router multiple times a day without comment.

Do you unplug it when not in the suite? I would think it falls under the same category as other devices that they want unplugged when the suite is unoccupied (fire precaution).

4 minutes ago, RELS said:

Do you unplug it when not in the suite? I would think it falls under the same category as other devices that they want unplugged when the suite is unoccupied (fire precaution).

We don’t.  And we leave our iPads plugged in to charge while we are out on excursions.  Only issue we’ve ever had is the desire of our cabin steward to neatly coil all the cables, so that we uncoil them when we get back.  Then again, we are usually in a suite and they leave a blank key card in the power slot by the door for us 24/7 so the power stays on when we leave the cabin, so YMMV.

3 hours ago, The Hudson Co. Landlubber said:

Verizon's is $30/day for 0.5GB and 50 min calling.

Are you sure about that?  I was pretty sure that it was closer to $10/day, and they also had a monthly option that was like $89 as I recall.  You are somewhat limited on the data side, though.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Are you sure about that?  I was pretty sure that it was closer to $10/day, and they also had a monthly option that was like $89 as I recall.  You are somewhat limited on the data side, though.

Yes I looked it up before I posted.

https://www.verizon.com/plans/international/international-travel/cruise-and-inflight/

Is it possible you are confusing it with the ground based plan for international travel?  That does have a $10/day option as well as a $100/mo option.  But it will not work at sea.

https://www.verizon.com/plans/international/international-travel/

Here's a pic from a few days ago I luckily grabbed for comparison.  They changed the website and don't offer side by side anymore, and I think it is because the daily is clearly a better deal unless you use for well more than 10 days as everything is unlimited.

International Plans.png

On 4/22/2024 at 12:32 AM, Qld13 said:

Now Silver also gets 4 wifis. We were pleasantly surprised on our March 31 cruise to learn of this.

54 minutes ago, edgee said:

Now Silver also gets 4 wifis. We were pleasantly surprised on our March 31 cruise to learn of this.

Interesting! I wondered how we got more than one login at a time, but I wasn’t about to go to IT and ask. We are now Silver, so I guess that was it. 

5 minutes ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

Interesting! I wondered how we got more than one login at a time, but I wasn’t about to go to IT and ask. We are now Silver, so I guess that was it. 

I was with IT person who helped us with initial sign in and she had no idea why there was no charge for 2nd wifi for our F2 cabin. Had some IT issues later in the cruise when IT person was off duty and reception desk helped me. He told me a memo to staff had recently been issued saying that Silver gets 4 wifis. BTW the internet on Splendor during our transatlantic was not great...hopefully my last cruise without Starlink as there was a team installing Starlink on the cruise, but it will not be active on Splendor until July or August...do not know reason for the delay.

32 minutes ago, edgee said:

I was with IT person who helped us with initial sign in and she had no idea why there was no charge for 2nd wifi for our F2 cabin. Had some IT issues later in the cruise when IT person was off duty and reception desk helped me. He told me a memo to staff had recently been issued saying that Silver gets 4 wifis. BTW the internet on Splendor during our transatlantic was not great...hopefully my last cruise without Starlink as there was a team installing Starlink on the cruise, but it will not be active on Splendor until July or August...do not know reason for the delay.

Delay is caused by Regent waiting for current contracts with current provider to expire...

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 11:45 AM, ifitfloats said:

The Regent app isn't used to log into the wifi.  Just the normal search for available networks and then provide the login information.  Also, while it may not help your situation, it isn't limited to one device...just one device at a time.

The Regent app is only for connecting to a group on excursions...and has never been used on on our rather large number of Regent cruises.