Suite Perks?

justjan2

For my 16 day Hawaii cruise, I have a mini-suite and purchased the Plus Package. If I end up in a "full suite" do I still need the Plus Package? In other words, are any of the Plus Package perks already included with a Suite? Thanks.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

That’s your call.  You will get a complimentary minibar and 2 bottles of water a night.  You will not get Medallion Net (internet/wifi) and will still be charged $18 a day for crew appreciation.

i have done with and without, but:

Had 2 minibars for being Elite in a suite

and tons of OBC for WiFi and crew appreciation.

16 days is a long cruise.  

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Forgot to mention that you would also receive a complimentary specialty dinner on embarkation evening.  With Plus you would get 2 casual dinners.  

With so many sea days to Hawaii, I would take the Plus package and enjoy your cruise (more).  Net cost would be minimal if you intend to separately purchase WiFi and crew appreciation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

No. Plus fare benefits are very different from full suite benefits. The most important basic three plus fare benefits are a)up to 15 alcoholic beverages per day menu priced $15 or less, and unlimited non alcoholic beverages b) crew appreciation which is $18/pp/day for a full suite and c) unlimited wifi. Other plus fare benefits such as the 2 casual dining meals, special desserts, some gym classes are also not part of the full suite benefits. 

Edited by skynight
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you enjoy cocktails you will want to keep the plus package   The mini bar has the lowest brands of alcohol you can imagine. Who ever heard of Van Gogh vodka ?  The plus package lets you have 2 casual meals, 15 cocktails a day , coffee and sodas Wi-Fi and tips. Suite benefits ate totally different 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We booked a full suite and calculated that Premier made the most sense for us (based on the things we knew we'd likely want to spend extra on regardless of a package). Your calculation will vary.

That said, I looked over the suite perks, Platinum perks (the level we are), and the Plus/Premier perks. There's not a lot of overlap. You get a free minibar set up in a suite, but you may or may not find that adequate (we don't tend to care for the minibar selection). The speciality dinner on the first night is a nice suite perk, but a 16 day cruise you may want to do specialty dining on other nights of the cruise. You can order off of the MDR menu to your room in a suite, but I believe you may have to pay a $5 fee for calling in your order (someone who has cruised in a suite more recently can correct me). That fee would be waived with the Plus/Premier. 

Something a full suite would get you, that might be really handy on a 16 day cruise, is free laundry (send it out and it's typically back to you the next day). You also get a special suite-only breakfast daily in one of the specialty restaurants -- a perk that I personally love! There are some other little perks too, but none of them overlap with the Plus/Premier.

I think you could be perfectly happy either way you go. But I recommend doing a price comparison between the two options to see which makes more sense for what you'd actually want/enjoy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

No. We don’t drink alcohol so swap out our mini bar for waters and sodas. The plus never pays for us. We send out laundry every night and love it. Also love reserve dining with no reservations needed and the breakfast in Sabatinis ( usually). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

and will still be charged $18 a day for crew appreciation.

16 days is a long cruise.  

It's not a  charge you need to pay. It is a suggestion they put daily on your account "for your convenience". You can adjust that ridiculous amount down or eliminate it and pay cash to those that actually serve you.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

There are lots of people behind the scenes that make your cruise. We pay the suggested and give cash to those that went above the expected. 

That's your choice not mine. I believe the OP is entitled to know the options re tipping. 

I don't see any real crossover between suite perks and the Plus package. There isn't enough in the mini bar setup to make up for the 15 drinks up to $15 per day.

Some may disagree but IMO if you felt that the Plus package was worthwhile for you in a mini-suite then you should keep it in a full suite.

🙂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruzsnooze said:

That's your choice not mine. I believe the OP is entitled to know the options re tipping. 

But that isn't relevant to the OP question IMO. That would apply whether you are in a mini-suite or a suite or any cabin tbh.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

I’m not a huge drinker but do like my soda. If I’m in a suite in Royal Class ships, I don’t get the Plus because I can grab from the lounge 

12 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

I’m not a huge drinker but do like my soda. If I’m in a suite in Royal Class ships, I don’t get the Plus because I can grab from the lounge 

... and you are happy to return to the lounge from where ever you are on the ship just to get a drink? Crickey!

5 hours ago, justjan2 said:

For my 16 day Hawaii cruise, I have a mini-suite and purchased the Plus Package. If I end up in a "full suite" do I still need the Plus Package? In other words, are any of the Plus Package perks already included with a Suite? Thanks.

Will you be on a Royal Class ship or a Grand/GEM class ship?

On a Royal Class ship, you will have access to a Concierge Lounge with refreshments.  On a Grand/GEM class ship you will have access to a concierge, upon request.

On a Grand/GEM class ship, you will have access to their Thermal Spa (not much to write home about).

As another poster wrote, if you had considered PLUS with a Mini-suite, then you will enjoy the benefits while in a suite.

Recently found out that if you don't have a PLUS package, all room service (one time $14.99 fee) and phone calls ($5 per call) to room service will incur a charge.

Correct, crew appreciation isn't a "mandatory" charge.  It is an auto addition daily.  There are those that will remove/reduce this amount.  I, personally, find that to be offensive and would not think about doing that.  Others boast that they do.  They have their right to do so (and no other comment from them is necessary).  If you do, you do.  If you don't, you don't.  Not open for discussion.

The OP asked if they should retain the PLUS package if in a suite.  On a 16 day cruise/on a Grand/GEM class ship/with 10 sea days....I would purchase the PLUS combo package.

Included in (Grand/GEM) suite:  minibar, 2 bottles of water daily, specialty coffee at breakfast, embarkation specialty dining.  These are the items that would overlap the PLUS package.  Will that be enough for you?

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, FancyPants21 said:

... and you are happy to return to the lounge from where ever you are on the ship just to get a drink? Crickey!

Maybe because Ive stayed in the PH suites right across from the lounge. But like I said, Im not a huge drinker, so buying one here or there was much less than the Plus package. I would grab a can or two and take them with me and just ask for a glass of ice wherever I was.  Worked for me, might not for others

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FLAlaska said:

Maybe because Ive stayed in the PH suites right across from the lounge. But like I said, Im not a huge drinker, so buying one here or there was much less than the Plus package. I would grab a can or two and take them with me and just ask for a glass of ice wherever I was.  Worked for me, might not for others

I wish Princess would assign better locations for their suites.  I was in a Grand Princess suite.  It was moved over to the Regal.  Then changed to the Sky.  The cabin ended up being way forward, way high, and   f a r   away from lounge.  I'm not a drinker.  I am not a walker.  The combination (plus the "suite" seemed more like a mini suite layout than the suites on older ships).

I may be wrong, but the concierge lounge did not offer enough to make the long trek to the lounge from the bow of the ship worthwhile for me.  

I am not trying to discourage anyone from a Royal Class ship suite.  Just not for me.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

Plus you can change out your minibar for sodas. If you are elite you can get 2 mini bars. This is all assuming you are in a full suite 

7 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Is access to the Thermal Spa still a full suite perk?

Yes. Thermal Suite access is a perk, on ships with the Thermal Suite.

On ships with the Enclave, the "new" and improved version with hydro pool and such, no - it is not a suite perk (all ships from Royal in through Sun - not a suite perk).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Im going on Island Princess 8/25 in my first suite (special treat to me) since I usually dont book above a mini-suite the above posters said you get specialty dining on embarkation day.  How do you book this in advance?  When I go on the Princess app to book it tries charging me.

Not to worry.  You will be able to book your dinner reservations once on board for almost any time you want.  They reserve tables for suites.  

Several times, I've had a card waiting for me with an assigned time (which I was able to change).

Another time, I had just entered my cabin with the phone rang....asking me what time I wanted to go to dinner.  And this was pre-medallion days.

• Like 1