Just returned from Icon. Lower back pain gone!

I have constant lower back pain.  
During 7 nights at Icon I had none. 
Slept in my bed last night and woke up with pain again.  I guess I need a new mattress.

Anybody knows the mattress brand that RCI is using at Icon?

39 minutes ago, asomante said:

Slept in my bed last night and woke up with pain again.  I guess I need a new mattress.

Or book another RC cruise on the Icon. 😂

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)

You can try this website.  RCCL has offered their bedding products on line for sale for a number of years.  Not exactly inexpensive, but it is available.

https://www.royalcaribbeanbeddingcollection.com/

Or as others have said just continue to book more cruises....LOL

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

Maybe someone would be willing to ask their room steward if its labeled when they change the sheets. I have tried several mattresses as my back suffers from a compressed disk, to avoid surgery I do physical therapy before getting into bed and on getting out of it. Not once during our week on the Icon did I need to do that, first day home, back to P.T. Wish I'd realized the magic of that mattress while I was onboard. I just thought after 2 years, it was finally improving- it was the mattress. You weren't imagining things.

• Like 1

Although the mattress could be part of it, based on my own experience, I suspect the reason for your back pain being gone is a lot more complicated than that. 

I deal with chronic pain on a regular basis at home. When I cruise it almost always goes away, no matter the cruise line.  For me, I think it is a combination of different foods (generally less processed), low stress, and a change in my movement. 

I haven’t found a way to sustain it at home so I just keep booking cruises!

We were on CCL Jubilee two weeks ago - worst bed we've ever had on a cruise.  I can't begin to tell you how firm it was.  Did my back no good at all.  I've recently been diagnosed with mild scoliosis and problems with my L5.  I think prmssk is correct in the assessment re: stress, food and movement while cruising. I've experienced the same results while cruising. T-2:  would love to know specifically which exercises you do.  Lower back issues are really horrible.  I'm currently going through chiropractic treatments, which are helping.  Trying to do everything I can to avoid surgery.  

I, too, think there could be multiple factors involved. We have always had our best sleep on a ship, even though our mattress at home is quite good.  I believe one reason is the constant hum and vibration of the ship, even while docked. Building on this idea, we recently started using Green Noise each night at home, and it has helped considerably.

There is a post in the Disabled Cruise Travel section of CC, titled Unexpected Benefit of Cruising. It's worth a read, even though it's not specifically about back pain.

On 4/21/2024 at 2:04 PM, asomante said:

Did you check your wallet, most likely it's much lighter now then when you got on Icon?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, LHARTWICK said:

We were on CCL Jubilee two weeks ago - worst bed we've ever had on a cruise.  I can't begin to tell you how firm it was.  Did my back no good at all.  I've recently been diagnosed with mild scoliosis and problems with my L5.  I think prmssk is correct in the assessment re: stress, food and movement while cruising. I've experienced the same results while cruising. T-2:  would love to know specifically which exercises you do.  Lower back issues are really horrible.  I'm currently going through chiropractic treatments, which are helping.  Trying to do everything I can to avoid surgery.  

It's a lot of time commitment but I swear by the book "Pain Free" by Egoscue.

• Thanks 1

And I notice that at home, I spend a lot of time sitting (aka slouching) and reading CC, or doing awkward stuff like vacuuming, neither of which is great for my back.  On cruises, I do none of that.

• Like 1