Princess vs Viking -Alaska Cruise

DAG68

Trying to decide between our FIRST Alaska Cruise for late May 2025 whether to cruise on Caribbean Sea or Viking Sea ?

We know we want to do Southbound but are curious as to recommendations on either ship pros and cons.

There is a large cost difference and the passenger capacity between both is significant!!

Appreciate any information to help us.

Thee are several significant differences there.  Viking does occasionally visit Glacier Bay, but usually not.  Seems to have Hubbard Glacier on every run.  Viking will leave from Seward, while CB will leave from Whittier.  But the biggest difference is Viking is 10 days, Princess 7 days.  EM

Very much apples to oranges regarding a comparison between the two cruise lines.  Princess is a mass market line appealing to adults and families on larger ships, whereas Viking is a premium line with an adult only demographic on much smaller ship - basically opposite ends of the spectrum.  Along with that criteria, itinerary would be a key point as well and a close comparison of the two options would be necessary to see what best appeals to you. 

Perhaps you should be discussing this with a travel agent who could best assist in guiding your choice based on your budget, cruising style preferences, and Alaska first time travel expectations.

I did a Princess cruise to Alaska and the experience was wonderful. You can do a back to back cruise on Princess for less than one cruise on Viking. 

there was a time we sailed Princess but today Viking is our line of choice ... once you sail smaller ship it is hard to go back to BIG ... We've done it to join family but when it is just use, Viking Ocean or River or Windstar sailing

On 4/30/2024 at 9:19 AM, DAG68 said:

Trying to decide between our FIRST Alaska Cruise for late May 2025 whether to cruise on Caribbean Sea or Viking Sea ?

We know we want to do Southbound but are curious as to recommendations on either ship pros and cons.

There is a large cost difference and the passenger capacity between both is significant!!

Appreciate any information to help us.

I used to work for Princess, having completed 2 Alaska seasons as navigator. However, you could not pay me now to suffer a Princess Cruise, since the standards have significantly eroded. However, you are not comparing apples to apples, as Princess is a mega ship mainstream cruise line, while Viking is a smaller vessel premium cruise line.

May I suggest you to need to determine your preferences for cruising, by developing a Statement of Requirements, and then conduct some research on which cruise line and itinerary best meets your needs.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2024 at 9:19 AM, DAG68 said:

That's almost one side of the spectrum vs the other.  There is A LOT between.  

I've cruised Caribbean Sea, and never will again.  It was an extremely crowded feeling ship, and very dated.  I've never cruised Viking but have only heard glowing reviews from friends who have.