We are booking a 30 night round trip on the QM2 for September 2025 out of NYC and need help

orville99

Posted (edited)

This is our first time on Cunard, and I can’t make heads or tails out of their booking engine. Lots of questions, but no answers anywhere:

What is a “sheltered” balcony? What is it sheltered from?

Does Cunard offer travel insurance or do I have to purchase it separately?

Is final payment really due a week after the deposit?

Can I book my flights and pre cruise hotel through Cunard (won’t fly in day of for any cruise, especially one out of NYC)?

where do I find drink and internet packages/rates?

I probably have more questions, but now I have a headache just getting this far.😇

Edited by orville99

On QM2 a sheltered balcony is an in-hull balcony. The view is not so good as one with a glass front, but it’s protection from the wind is excellent in mid Atlantic.

I won’t attempt to comment on other things, as I am in the wrong country, but I would say, why not use a competent travel agent?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A sheltered balcony has an area with large window but the balcony isn’t open. There are pictures of sheltered balcony rooms at the top of the Cunard page.

We bought travel insurance through Cunard (we had a dedicated Cunard travel agent. I highly recommend it) 

We bought our flights and hotel through Cunard and arrived the night before. 

To find the Internet and Drinks packages, on the main page of the Cunard site, click on the search button and put in “internet” or “drinks package” and it will take you exactly where you want to go. But again, I highly recommend an agent. Makes it so easy and someone else gets the headaches. 

IMG_8637.jpeg

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tonopah said:

A sheltered balcony has an area with large window but the balcony isn’t open. There are pictures of sheltered balcony rooms at the top of the Cunard page.

We bought travel insurance through Cunard (we had a dedicated Cunard travel agent. I highly recommend it) 

We bought our flights and hotel through Cunard and arrived the night before. 

To find the Internet and Drinks packages, on the main page of the Cunard site, click on the search button and put in “internet” or “drinks package” and it will take you exactly where you want to go. But again, I highly recommend an agent. Makes it so easy and someone else gets the headaches. 

IMG_8637.jpeg

When you book hotels with Cunard do they include airport to hotel transfers and hotel to ship transfers?  Thank you for your response 

8 minutes ago, orville99 said:

This is our first time on Cunard, and I can’t make heads or tails out of their booking engine. Lots of questions, but no answers anywhere:

On QM2 balcony rooms on decks 4, 5 & 6 are in the main hull, not in the superstructure above the promenade deck. Instead of a glass front, there is a large aperture cut into the hull just above handrail height. They are sheltered in that they remain usable even in extreme conditions - an oasis of calm when the weather decks are closed due to hurricane force winds.

We tend to book midships, category BU or BV rooms.

Does Cunard offer travel insurance or do I have to purchase it separately?

It is offered - but it may not be the best value for you. 

For us it is a moot point, as CunardCare is not available to New York residents.

You may want to head down the page to the travel insurance forum or check with a specialty broker [the trip insurance store]

Is final payment really due a week after the deposit?

Final fare payment is typically due about 120 days before sailing. For some insurance carriers and coverage [pre existing conditions] the policy must be purchased within a time window after making the initial deposit.

Can I book my flights and pre cruise hotel through Cunard (won’t fly in day of for any cruise, especially one out of NYC)?

I believe that Cunard can arrange both hotels and flights - we are fairly local so have not considered either. [Our dinner table mates for both our 2017 & 2019 sailings flew in the day of the cruise, and had misplaced luggage each time]

where do I find drink and internet packages/rates?

They do seem to be well hidden before booking

Internet plans at https://www.cunard.com/en-us/the-cunard-experience/staying-connected

Drinks at https://www.cunard.com/en-us/activity-types/bars-and-lounges/a-world-of-drinks

We use 'world club' credit to offset the internet prices - and do not feel that any of the drinks packages represent a good value for us.

I probably have more questions, but now I have a headache just getting this far.😇

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

To further answer the question about the final payment date, for US bookings, the final payment date for a 30-night voyage is 120 days before the departure date. You would be getting just in under the wire so to speak regarding that voyage length since for US bookings of voyages that are 31 nights or more, the final payment date is 150 days before departure.

So, for a US booking of a 30-night September 2025 voyage, your final payment date would be in May 2025. I suspect you are seeing a glitch on the Cunard website where it shows you the final payment date without listing the year. For the 30-night QM2 cruise departing New York on September 3, 2025, the Cunard website simply says "(Remainder ... due on May 6)". That's May 6, 2025, not May 6, 2024. Very confusing, I know!

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A travel agent helped me tremendously on my first Cunard voyage (QM2 Transatlantic years ago) and I highly recommend finding one who specializes in Cunard and cruises. You can transfer your booking to them. 

• Like 1

Just by the few questions ,OP could really use the help of a Good TA .

Costs you nothing.

US TA's may also offer their own discounted Cunard rates and amenities.

See for yourself .Compare booking Direct with Cunard and  TA's . 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

orville99,

There are actually some pretty good threads on this Cunard board that discuss sheltered balconies. We have sailed in sheltered and glass fronted balcony cabins on the QM2 and enjoy both. The cabins themselves are identical. The difference is the balcony area. The sheltered balconies are a little bit deeper than the glass fronted balconies, but same width, and you are looking out through an opening about 6' wide and 4' high. As a result you are fairly well protected from the weather. On our second crossing we sailed into New York Harbor in a heavy rain. We were able to stand IN our sheltered balcony, protected from the rain, and watch the Statue of Liberty pass by as sipped our coffee bundled up in our robes. For us the main disadvantage of the sheltered balcony is that when you sit in the deck chairs and look through the opening, you can't actually see the water, you are mostly looking at sky. So if you want that great balcony view, you pretty much have to stand at the railing of the opening. On the other hand, because the sheltered balconies are located below the Promenade Deck, you are not only closer to the water, you can also look down and see the water passing against the hull of the ship. On rough sea days we enjoy watching the waves crashing against the ship sending spray flying. All of the glass fronted balconies are located in the superstructure which is recessed above the Promenade Deck, you can look out at the water but not straight down at the water. Finally, we find the glass fronted balcony cabins to be a bit brighter and lighter than the sheltered balcony cabins. Hope this helps.

Jack

PS: here is a link to a YouTube video showing a QM2 Sheltered Balcony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuXantZvKKs (you may have to copy and paste into your browser)
F79DA42D-2155-44AC-98A8-F743E3844F55.thumb.jpeg.a9e63341d2f8697dc68363ce26ee04bf.jpeg8D4A536C-5DDB-4A3A-BA1C-371FC61F3BE8.thumb.jpeg.650c83816a021bc4b55fb5ac48af6e48.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

We have sailed in sheltered and glass fronted balcony cabins on the QM2 and enjoy both

Thanks for the pix and the description. Showed them to DW and she told me to book a midship balcony on deck 11. At 5ft she didn’t think she would be able to enjoy the view in a sheltered balcony.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 2

Good decision orville99.

Sailing on the QM2 is such a special event. I hope you and your wife enjoy it as much as we do. 

We will be boarding in Southampton on June 9th for our 4th crossing, or as we like to say, our 4th Once In A Lifetime voyage. 

Jack

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Congratulations! That will be a very special experience!

We sail the QM2 transatlantic at least once a year.

It looks like others have covered the sheltered balcony question.

Cunard does offer insurance, but honestly you are likely to get more for less money with a third party insurer as Cunard will only cover the cruise itself, not all the other expenses that go with such a trip like hotel, flights, etc. (Unless you buy them through Cunard)  Any good travel advisor can quickly get you some quotes and help you choose one that is right for you.

There are a number of travel advisors who book Cunard and sail it themselves. They can answer a zillion questions for you. It costs no more than if you book it yourself directly. Many will add some on board credit for you as well.

Incidentally, if you do decide to use a TA you can transfer the booking to them if it is less than 60 days from when you made the booking.

Generally buying a precruise hotel is more expensive through cruise lines. But you are right to plan to come in at least a day early!

Normally, with Cunard you will pay a 25% deposit, typically refundable (unless you booked with a nonrefundable deposit, which I do not recommend, especially this far out). The typical final payment date should be 120 days precruise.

Of course, the good people of Cruise Critic will have your back as well.

Hopefully you got your questions answered!  There so many special secrets and fun things about QM2. The history, the magnificent library, and Homer Simpson, among others.

Edited by Gretchendz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1