Umbrellas

I will leave for the Norwegian Fjords on the Rotterdam in 2 days and will be staying in a Vista suite. Is/are umbrellas provided in this stateroom? There is no rain forecast for this cruise but if the weather in Norway is as unpredictable as it is here in The Netherlands, it will be nice to have an umbrella. Thanks in advance.

While we've had umbrellas when booking a Vista suite, I've read a number of posts written by passengers whose umbrella were nowhere to be found. Take rain gear or your own umbrella, just in case.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CruisingCleo said:

I will leave for the Norwegian Fjords on the Rotterdam in 2 days and will be staying in a Vista suite. Is/are umbrellas provided in this stateroom? There is no rain forecast for this cruise but if the weather in Norway is as unpredictable as it is here in The Netherlands, it will be nice to have an umbrella. Thanks in advance.

I'm with Cruisetrekker-I use poncho/water resistant windbreaker.  Umbrellas are a pain in the neck in crowds, or if trying to take photos.

• Like 1

Thete should be a large orange umbrella in your closet; if it's not there, you can ask your cabin steward for one.

There should also be a supply of them at the gangway as you scan out at each port.

Posted (edited)

Currently on Nieuw Statendam, which sails to Baltics next week and there are no umbrellas in stateroom and there were none at gangway.

Bring your own collapsible one.

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

It is hit or miss with umbrellas.  I bring my own but only for sun protection in the tropics.  I use a rainslicker or poncho for rain. 

Edited by Mary229

Posted (edited)

Thank you all so much. My coat is wind and waterproof with a hoodie and I will bring a collapsible umbrella, just in case. 

Edited by CruisingCleo

We always bring our own, small umbrellas. The huge ones that are provided are too big for me to carry around all day, I like something I can slip into my day bag.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

We always bring our own, small umbrellas. The huge ones that are provided are too big for me to carry around all day, I like something I can slip into my day bag.

We do that, too.

I do like that the ship has them JIC.

• Like 1

I think it is only NS & PS that have umbrellas on all ships, but they may be on lower suites/cabins too on some ships.  We have had them on every cruise in the top suites.

We bring along one folding umbrella plus a couple of the cheap disposable plastic ponchos you can slip in your backpack to use for an unexpected rainstorm.  But on a recent cruise to Scotland, we had heavy rain on two port days and we took along the huge orange HAL umbrellas from our suite and we were thankful to have them.  They are good quality and held up fine in heavy wind.

1 minute ago, Torquer said:

I think it is only NS & PS that have umbrellas on all ships, but they may be on lower suites/cabins too on some ships.  We have had them on every cruise in the top suites.

We had them in our most recent Vistas on Rotterdam (10/23) and Koningsdam (04/24). 

The fjords of Norway are one of our top favorite itineraries. We were in an ordinary verandah cabin and had umbrellas in one of the closets. DW & I always carried a sturdy but collapsible umbrella in our schlepp bags. If your statement is missing umbrellas, just ask your strewards.

Assuming past is prolog, on your first shorex you will be told that for Norwegians there is no bad weather; there is only bad clothing. And expect that this aphorism will be recited over and over again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Torquer said:

But on a recent cruise to Scotland, we had heavy rain on two port days and we took along the huge orange HAL umbrellas from our suite and we were thankful to have them. 

My favorite line from Braveheart: "What a beautiful Scottish evening! The rain's comin' straight doon."

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Torquer said:

We bring along one folding umbrella plus a couple of the cheap disposable plastic ponchos you can slip in your backpack to use for an unexpected rainstorm.  But on a recent cruise to Scotland, we had heavy rain on two port days and we took along the huge orange HAL umbrellas from our suite and we were thankful to have them.  They are good quality and held up fine in heavy wind.

We had the HAL orange umbrella in the SS on Eurodam last May and in Vista Suite K'dam, but not regular verandah cabins. You can ask cabin steward for one or get one at the gangway at ports as you scan off. 

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

I live in the Seattle area and I don't think I even own an umbrella.  Even working outside (recess duty, etc.) for about 1.5 hours every day, I don't use an umbrella.  I mainly sail to Alaska, where it also rains a lot, and don't use an umbrella.  I have good, waterproof rain jackets with hoods, and wear a ball cap under the hood to keep the rain off my glasses and keep the hood from drooping over my eyes.  

Umbrellas are a hazard in crowded ports, and they don't work well in windy places, and especially don't work on moving ships.  I've seen people try and it's hilarious! 

• Like 1

We just take 2   travel umbrellas that fir in our luggage  .We both use light windbreakers which are rain repellant also packed in our travel luggage