Imminent RCL Entertainment Cutbacks

8 hours ago, PACrew said:

Given the timing, I doubt this is a cost cutting or directional change. You don’t post on twitter on Friday then get fired on Monday without a solid reason. Doesn’t make sense.  Hell, maybe he had personal/hr issues which were a liability to RCI? Maybe he has his own issues and needed to leave. Speculating on cost as the reason is short sighted. 

This!!!!!!!!

14 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

The last thing I need at the end of the day is a piece of candy to cover up the taste of all the great martinis I just finished drinking 🍸 as well as that awesome Sorrento's 🍕 I just ate.

So funny, we often end the night at Sorrentos too 🍕

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Twenty2020 said:

Lots of truth to that. I'm only early 40s and we are taking my kids (9/6) on a cruise next year. When I was growing up cruises were only something my grandparents did. We took nice vacations but cruising was considered a step up in vacationing. I went on my first when I was early 20s... And that was considered young. There weren't that many people my age and that was 2004 on Adventure. 

Royal's target market has changed considerably and I think they are struggling to balance not losing their long-time customers while also appealing to a different market. Those kind of shifts take a long time to play out. 10 years from now RCL is going to look like a very different product. 

I’m way past my 40s and have been cruising Royal for 25 years, and unfortunately their new focus is definitely making us move and have already jumped to other lines.

Royal IS ALREADY starting to lose their long time, frequent cruisers, those that may be retired so they have more time and money to cruise, as in not just a “weekend” a year which is what their current tv ads are focusing on. We’ve loved Royal, still do, but not the jam packed floating amusement parks. 

I guess I just miss what the focus of cruising originally was meant to be.

A relaxing calming way to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday frantic lives.

And thankfully there ARE other cruise lines that are still that way. And that’s where we’re headed.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

So funny, we often end the night at Sorrentos too 🍕

Probably the only time I eat shortly before going to bed is when I'm on a cruise.😄

Now that Nick Weir has left Royal, whether on his own or forced out by Royal, what will happen to the eMuster Drill in the Royal App since he holds the patent on it?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Vince C said:

Now that Nick Weir has left Royal, whether on his own or forced out by Royal, what will happen to the eMuster Drill in the Royal App since he holds the patent on it?

Other cruise lines use similar methods.  I'm sure it won't be a big deal.

Also often when somebody invents something related to their job while working for a company, the company owns the patent.  Not sure if that's the case here, but it could be.

Edited by time4u2go

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Vince C said:

4 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Agree with you @time4u2go  

If needed they could change the name and the process slightly, or go back to in person muster. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Vince C said:

IMO, if it was developed on Royal's time, then it's the company property.

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, nelblu said:

IMO, if it was developed on Royal's time, then it's the company property.

Probably their funds as well. 

Just now, nelblu said:

I doubt it very much.  Can't go backwards.

Agreed, but if they don’t want to payout it’s one way.

This is the company that raised tips, and cut back services so they do go backwards. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Vince C said:

So, you asked in the Nick Weir thread, and while 2 people were answering you over there, you post the same question in this thread?

What I posted there:

@smokeybandit beat me to it. When you work for a company, while you may be the listed inventor of a patent, the applicant and the assignee will be the company that you are employed by.

BTW, apparently there are 6 or 7 related patents, and I count at least 7 different individuals, no more than 3 on any 1 patent. Nick is not even listed on one of them.

10 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Also often when somebody invents something related to their job while working for a company, the company owns the patent.  Not sure if that's the case here, but it could be.

My dad was a research chemist working for the Federal Gov when he and two others obtained their patent.  While their name is on it, it belongs to the Federal Gov.  It happens quite often.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BND said:

My dad was a research chemist working for the Federal Gov when he and two others obtained their patent.  While their name is on it, it belongs to the Federal Gov.  It happens quite often.

To add to that. Like many companies, the company I work for has at least 2 full time patent agent/attorney, whose job it is to prepare and file the patents created by our engineers on behalf of the company. One of them is a friend of mine.

Every company I have ever worked as an IT professional had me sign a form stating that anything I develop on company time or with company resources belong to the company. Even entry-level positions for non-tech companies that had in-house IT departments, back in the day before out-sourcing. I'm sure at the executive level, those agreements are air tight. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, nelblu said:

I'm amazed of all of the gloom and doom over a managerial change.  By the way the sky is falling.🤣

Exactly!  There was a change at the corporate level where a long time Royal executive was replaced by an even longer term corporate executive, most likely a direct report, with many years of experience in Royals entertainment department. 

Stuff like that happens all the time without much fanfare. Heck, if it wasn't for CC, I wouldn't even know the names of any of Royal's executives, much like I don't know the name of any executive at my cable company, credit card company, supermarkets I shop at, etc....

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, BND said:

There are, but many b**ch about paying more.  I see plenty of those complaining. Cruising isn't what it used to be at all.  It's been  "dumbed down" quite a bit.  How many of current cruisers  cruised as kids?  And, how many kids cruise now?  The expectations for vacations have changed a lot. When we were in our 20's and 30's and raising our kids a week at the beach was a big deal.  Families now have expectations that previous generations didn't.  I love when people complain about how they can't afford xyz with young kids.  LOL.  We were happy to have a townhouse and a weekend at the beach when ours kids were young.   The entitlement is extreme.  

Accommodations for 4 on the beach now will run you around $300+/night.  Food not included. This is why families will book cruises even at inflated prices.

Most people didn't cruise as kids, because ships had nothing on it to appeal to families.  

However, also in general travel and vacations while expensive is significantly easier, cheaper, and more variety than even 30 years ago.  The logistics alone of planning a trip without the internet, gps, ect would make people choose simpler vacations. 

Edited by SUgwoz
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Twenty2020 said:

Lots of truth to that. I'm only early 40s and we are taking my kids (9/6) on a cruise next year. When I was growing up cruises were only something my grandparents did. We took nice vacations but cruising was considered a step up in vacationing. I went on my first when I was early 20s... And that was considered young. There weren't that many people my age and that was 2004 on Adventure. 

Royal's target market has changed considerably and I think they are struggling to balance not losing their long-time customers while also appealing to a different market. Those kind of shifts take a long time to play out. 10 years from now RCL is going to look like a very different product. 

You are correct with everything you wrote but there are a few factors as to why. Cruising has been touted by many as a great value compared to the cost of a land-based vacation & families have taken note. Also, even with today's higher prices, cruising is still cheaper today than it was in the 1980's. I have seen many stories posted here on CC of people paying $1500 pp for an interior cabin in the 1980's which wold be over $5,000 pp in  2024 prices when factoring in inflation.

So yes, cruisers are becoming younger and more family oriented and Royal is catering to that market. Like many other companies in many other industries are. As for losing long-time customers, that is going to eventually happen as they "age-out" for various reasons.

The cruise industry is constantly evolving. Nothing stays the same forever. Except death and taxes. And Cats on Oasis. 🙂

Edited by HBE4
  • Haha 3

Agree that the patent will be owned by the company, although it will list the individuals on the patent application.  

My son is listed as inventor on several patents his company holds, and he was a patent agent before climbing up the corporate ladder.  It would be highly unusual for the NW to hold any rights to it.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, SUgwoz said:

Accommodations for 4 on the beach now will run you around $300+/night.  Food not included. This is why families will book cruises even at inflated prices.

Most people didn't cruise as kids, because ships had nothing on it to appeal to families.  

However, also in general travel and vacations while expensive is significantly easier, cheaper, and more variety than even 30 years ago.  The logistics alone of planning a trip without the internet, gps, ect would make people choose simpler vacations. 

When we were younger, we never stayed "on the beach".  We stayed on the bay side which wasn't even half the price of being on the beach. And, then it more likely 3-4 nights and not 7.  Going "to" the beach does not mean staying waterfront.  Our generation also didn't vacation every year and definitely not more than once per year.  Expectations have changed a lot.  We had a TA friend (friend's parent) when we were younger so logistics weren't that difficult.    All my friends growing up (I grew up in a very nice suburb) were lucky if they went anywhere outside of visiting family.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, orville99 said:

They have live entertainment? I guess we have to spend less time enjoying our balcony and the sea and get with the program😇

You mean you don't attend every single 70's dance party or Love&Marriage show on every cruise you take?

😉

EDIT: From previous posts, I know you take more than a few cruises each year, hence the light hearted sarcasm. 😇

Edited by HBE4
  • Haha 2