Question About Electrical Outlets in Cabins

My family and I will be taking a cruise on the Emerald Princess in a few weeks.  Haven't been on a cruise in about 24 years.  Can anyone familiar with the cabins on this specific ship provide any information on how many available electrical outlets are typically available in the cabins?  Just planning ahead for the trip.  Also, if any power strips are permitted, does anyone have any specific ones that they'd recommend that will work on this ship?  Are the available outlets 110-volt outlets with US plug fittings or European-style 220-volt outlets?

Thanks in advance for any info. / recommendations you can provide.  Just making sure we've got the ability to expand those available outlets to charge phones, probably a laptop, etc.

26 minutes ago, ZildjianCat said:

My family and I will be taking a cruise on the Emerald Princess in a few weeks.  Haven't been on a cruise in about 24 years.  Can anyone familiar with the cabins on this specific ship provide any information on how many available electrical outlets are typically available in the cabins?  Just planning ahead for the trip.  Also, if any power strips are permitted, does anyone have any specific ones that they'd recommend that will work on this ship?  Are the available outlets 110-volt outlets with US plug fittings or European-style 220-volt outlets?

Thanks in advance for any info. / recommendations you can provide.  Just making sure we've got the ability to expand those available outlets to charge phones, probably a laptop, etc.

Here you go, a relatively recent thread on Emerald, electrical outlets and various multi-outlet plugins, power strips, etc.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/2977562-emerald-princess-electrical-outlets/

• Like 3

Here is the Princess FAQ regarding power strips. Basically disallowed if surge protected, allowed if not.

*Electrical devices such as small fans, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, power strips/extension cords without surge protectors and electric extension cords with surge protectors are allowed onboard when used with proper caution and following inspection/tests from the onboard electrical department. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard then they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

The number of outlets will be dependent on which cabin you select.  A suite will have maybe one extra.  There might be one behind the television.  Lamps may have low powered USB A connections.  The desk will have an outlet but the plugs are too close together to use more than one block.  Most cabins will have European outlet at desk and behind bends.

On the other hand:  All Apple devices and most medical equipment will be dual voltage.  Bring an adapter that will allow you to plug in a European plug for the bed lamp AND a US outlet for your device.

I purchased non-surge protector power bar from IKEA.  You can also bring on an old fashioned extension cord.  I travel with an Anker outlet block that has a USB A and C plug AND places to plug in 3 other pronged plugs.  If I were to make this purchase again, I would buy the one with a plug instead of the block plugging into the outlet.

• Like 1

I was thrown way off by my experience on the Emerald Princess. As a frequent cruise, I always bring adaptors that turn EU outlets into a combination of US outlets and USB ports. I was shocked to find there was nowhere to plug in these adaptors in my balcony cabin on the Emerald. I had never been in any cruise cabin that didn't have at least one or two EU outlets. My Emerald balcony cabin had two US outlets by the desk, but they were so close together that you could not plug two things in at once. There were two more US adaptors on a high shelf where the old tube TV used to be. These were far enough apart that both could be used at the same time but in an inconvenient and difficult-to-reach place.

Grand class ship cabins have predominately U.S. 110v outlets.  There are some European 220v outlets in the cabins, but they seem to be reserved for ship utility needs and are not generally located in convenient locations.

If you visit the thread that @reedprincess shared there are pictures of a number of outlet locations.  I think I saw one European outlet on a wall, and if you have a mini-suite on a Grand class ship you'll have quite a few U.S. outlets in that central alcove between the bedroom and sitting area where TVs used to be mounted.

Now, on the Royal class ships, there are more European outlets in convenient places, like at the top of desks, right next to U.S. outlets than I'm used to seeing.  The flip side of this is that there seem to be fewer U.S. outlets than on similar cabins on Grand class ships.

I carry a travel power adapter with us.  It has the standard Euro plug on it and it ends in a transformer box with two U.S. plugs on it and 4 USB A ports.  I only use it for powering and charging our USB powered devices and phones.  I've never used it for running a 120v U.S. device.  That way I can use one of the Euro desk outlets for my USB powered stuff, don't have to contend with all the U.S. power to USB adapters, and free up a U.S. outlet for something more important.

This is the exact one I have:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074QLCKW6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But there may be others that are better and newer.  Biggest recommendation is to get a travel transformer that has a cord that goes from the transformer to the outlet.  Don't get the wall wart versions because you never know if you'll have sufficient space for the wall wart when it is plugged in.

We have a multi-port USB device as well and will be bringing that for phones, electric toothbrush charging, electric razor charging, etc. Will need several regular plug-ins for a laptop and a few other devices. 

On 5/16/2024 at 11:56 AM, jeromep said:

But there may be others that are better and newer.  Biggest recommendation is to get a travel transformer that has a cord that goes from the transformer to the outlet.  Don't get the wall wart versions because you never know if you'll have sufficient space for the wall wart when it is plugged in.

Every device we charge needs only a simple adaptor from European to US plug styles.  A transformer is not needed.  It really depends if you are intending to use something that is not dual voltage.  Like older hair dryers or curling irons.  

On 5/16/2024 at 11:28 AM, skynight said:

Here is the Princess FAQ regarding power strips. Basically disallowed if surge protected, allowed if not.

*Electrical devices such as small fans, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, power strips/extension cords without surge protectors and electric extension cords with surge protectors are allowed onboard when used with proper caution and following inspection/tests from the onboard electrical department. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard then they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

When I read the Q&A you pasted, the part in bold above says "extension cords with surge protectors are allowed onboard".  Am I misreading this?